HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you fire Laviolette? (Philadelphia Daily News article dated March 12, 2013)

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 10:01 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Won a Cup, came within two games of winning a second with our Flyers (not to mention the 0-3 Boston come back), Jack Adams runner up, coached USA during the Olympics, is currently contending with Tortorella to be USA's winningest head coach, he's won an AHL championship, he's won the AHL coach of the year award... but yea...

I'm sure someone else could do better with a team that has Ruslan Fedotenko and Maxime Talbot playing center and splitting time on the PK because there literally are no better options, Brian Boucher and Michael Leighton as their back-up goaltender, and a 30 something Kimmo Timonen playing through injuries because (again) there is no better alternative.
having Shelley, Rinaldo and Sestito to chose from for 4th liners.
Forced to play Gervais, Foster and before tonight Lilja because again there were no viable options on the farm.
Is Lavy a perfect coach? no of course not but how many coaches has this team had over the last 20 years better then him? Hitchcock?
But yeah lets keep throwing that pond hockeyfail nonsense around like a couple people do over and over again.
Give me a ****ing break. completely clueless.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:04 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Won a Cup, came within two games of winning a second with our Flyers (not to mention the 0-3 Boston come back), Jack Adams runner up, coached USA during the Olympics, is currently contending with Tortorella to be USA's winningest head coach, he's won an AHL championship, he's won the AHL coach of the year award... but yea...

I'm sure someone else could do better with a team that has Ruslan Fedotenko and Maxime Talbot playing center and splitting time on the PK because there literally are no better options, Brian Boucher and Michael Leighton as their back-up goaltender, and a 30 something Kimmo Timonen playing through injuries because (again) there is no better alternative.
John Stevens won an AHL championship as was the the Hockey News Coach of the Year (NHL) in 2008. Lavi's Olympic squad seriously underachieved, he was replaced shortly thereafter. He won a Cup with Carolina, his teams went downhill and he was fired two years later.

Sorry, there's nothing about Lavi that makes me think he is going to win a Cup with the Flyers.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:07 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
John Stevens won an AHL championship as was the the Hockey News Coach of the Year (NHL) in 2008. Lavi's Olympic squad seriously underachieved, he was replaced shortly thereafter. He won a Cup with Carolina, his teams went downhill and he was fired two years later.

Sorry, there's nothing about Lavi that makes me think he is going to win a Cup with the Flyers.
So Lavy joins a new team, wins a cup, goes down hill. Lavy joins the Flyers, almost gets a cup, team doesn't get close to it again, and goes down hill. If he's on another team after us, we know what might happen to his tenure there.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:10 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I think that's a bit of a stretch though. I mean someone who is a legitimate candidate to be hired if laviolette Is fired, someone with coaching experience in the NHL.
He coached the lightning for 2 yrs didn't he?

Old
02-16-2013, 10:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post

Bill Barber won a Jack Adams Award as well. I doubt he will go down for being a great coach in NHL history. Lavy will. and too bad for you, Stevens will not.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:30 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post
well said. if anyone should take the blame it's Holmgren for thinking Fedotenko was a good replacement for Jagr.
They had no plan C.

Plan A was Suter and Parise
Plan B was Weber
Plan C was Kurtis Foster

Old
02-16-2013, 10:35 PM
FLYERSFAN18

This team has consistently not played full games since lavy has been here. I think it is time for a change. The problems we have are the same problems we have had his entire tenure here. So apparently nothing is going to change

Old
02-16-2013, 10:37 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Kimmo has always played through injuries his whole career I wouldn't expect him to stop now. Rusty and Talbot are not C's and shouldn't be used as such but they are very good pkers (which hasn't been a problem this year) but the flyers do have guys to fill the roles but they just aren't available. Laughton could have played but it was better for him to go back to juniors, Holmstrom could of centered the 4th line but he is out for the yr with a knee injury. My point is when healthy they have options but its up to the coach to make due with what you have to get the job done. Regardless I really don't think the 4th line not having a natural center is what's holding this team back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post
well said. if anyone should take the blame it's Holmgren for thinking Fedotenko was a good replacement for Jagr.
Fed was not brought in as a replacement for Jagr. If fully healthy this team doesn't struggle nearly as much. Sure we'd all be complaining but if the teams had two more wins 8-7-1 instead of 6-9-1 we wouldn't be having this conversation. Flyers have plenty of quality players, Holmgren isn't the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
having Shelley, Rinaldo and Sestito to chose from for 4th liners.
Forced to play Gervais, Foster and before tonight Lilja because again there were no viable options on the farm.
Is Lavy a perfect coach? no of course not but how many coaches has this team had over the last 20 years better then him? Hitchcock?
But yeah lets keep throwing that pond hockeyfail nonsense around like a couple people do over and over again.
Give me a ****ing break. completely clueless.
Injuries forced these guys into action. Having Foster/Lilja/Gervais as a 7th d-man is not terrible nor is a Rinaldo or Sestito as a 13th forward. If the team is fully healthy MAB, Gus and Mez are in and someone like Ben holmstrom centers the 4th and none of these guys are even playing most likely. But injuries happen to every team it just hit us particularly hard this year. There are plenty of quality player in place. I don't see how you could blame Homlgren for the team having 6 wins in 16 games, constantly making the same mistakes, rarely showing up to play a full 60 minutes ect. That's all the responsibility of the coach. I'm not saying Lavy is a bad coach just that its clear he's not getting it done (also why Paddock was named to the coaching staff).

Old
02-16-2013, 10:52 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post

Injuries forced these guys into action. Having Foster/Lilja/Gervais as a 7th d-man is not terrible nor is a Rinaldo or Sestito as a 13th forward. If the team is fully healthy MAB, Gus and Mez are in and someone like Ben holmstrom centers the 4th and none of these guys are even playing most likely. But injuries happen to every team it just hit us particularly hard this year. There are plenty of quality player in place. I don't see how you could blame Homlgren for the team having 6 wins in 16 games, constantly making the same mistakes, rarely showing up to play a full 60 minutes ect. That's all the responsibility of the coach. I'm not saying Lavy is a bad coach just that its clear he's not getting it done (also why Paddock was named to the coaching staff).
Well Holmgren went all in on getting Suter,Parise and Weber. By the time it was evident that he had struckout on all 3 we were left with signing Fedotenko and Gervais. Holmgren didnt have a great offseason. Does that make him a horrible GM? No, but he didnt give Lavy the personel to run his system effectively. Everyone was banking on Couturier, Schenn and Read to pick up the scoring slack lost by Jagr leaving and JVR getting traded. All 3 of those players were given bigger roles this season and for the most part all 3 have come up small.
Of course we know why Gervais, Foster and Lilja were brought in, We all know why. But that is a sensitive subject that with some people the reasoning hasnt sunk in yet.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:24 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

So much for Laviolette's attack attack attack.....

Team is "going through the motions" doesn't bode well for him at all.....

BTW..the fact that the Flyers have to SIGN shlubs like Gervais, Foster, and Lilja shows how putrid our farm system is.....

Old
02-16-2013, 11:31 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

nobody wants to hear that because of the young core. The same young core that has 6 wins in 16 games. The same young core that was a lucky bounce away from being shutout by Peter Budaj.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:37 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I mean they had TWO shots in the 1st period.....horrible

Old
02-16-2013, 11:46 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Dont get me wrong. there is talent there with some of the young kids. They just arent as deep at forward as they were last year and its showing this year. Fedotenko and Knuble just arent going to cut it if you are looking to add depth.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

Something has to happen. Like Now.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:15 AM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I mean they had TWO shots in the 1st period.....horrible

That's a problem with the system.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Viller

Ive never been one to want to finish at the bottom but I'm thinking firing Lavy now wouldn't do any good. No time to implement anything, although it would give the time for a new coach to learn what he has. Team is lacking some very important pieces right now with injuries and holes in the roster.

The draft could be a good one so just ride out the short season and change the coaching in the summer. Give whatever is needed, except Giroux, to get Seth Jones and go from there. Get Perry at whatever cost($$$) in July. If you strike out on both, keep the development going. Simple as that, other oppurtunities will show up.

edit: I think this team is one first line RWer and a #1 dman away from contending. Good defensive coaching also.

Last edited by Viller: 02-17-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old
02-17-2013, 12:28 AM
freakydallas13

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I think that's a bit of a stretch though. I mean someone who is a legitimate candidate to be hired if laviolette Is fired, someone with coaching experience in the NHL.
pry ted nolan out of Latvia

Old
02-17-2013, 12:31 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

If Hartnell comes back and the team still isn't performing, then do you fire him?

Old
02-17-2013, 01:36 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseGolfCarts View Post
If Hartnell comes back and the team still isn't performing, then do you fire him?
They weren't performing when he WAS in the lineup. This team is made up of Phantoms, Old Guys and maybe 4-5 players with a great future.

They need to figure out how to fill the holes on this team. Maybe Homer is just lazy going after the big fish all the time instead of working out the 4-5 positions we need filled instead of the big signing?

Last edited by OzFlyer: 02-17-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old
02-17-2013, 01:49 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
So Lavy joins a new team, wins a cup, goes down hill. Lavy joins the Flyers, almost gets a cup, team doesn't get close to it again, and goes down hill. If he's on another team after us, we know what might happen to his tenure there.
Doesn't come close to the Cup, and goes down hill?

Old
02-17-2013, 01:53 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Doesn't come close to the Cup, and goes down hill?
Sorry if I said that wrong, but I mean they get close to the Cup or get a Cup and then do nothing close to that again with that team.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:16 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
How the hell is the man supposed to go uphill from a cup win or a game six in the finals. You can't go anywhere but down.

This team has a weaker roster than when he got here and is underperforming. But it's a team. It's not a K'nex set. It is comprised of real people. The culture that gets developed matters. Consistent personell matters. You can't ever expect to win it all if as soon as you hit a rough patch people start getting fired that don't need to be. Laviolette isn't the problem. This is a .500ish roster right now. They need a couple more players than they have and another year to get back into contention. It would also help if their GM had a plan beyond consistently flying by the seat of his pants. Holmgren has made some ballsy and great moves, but a steadier hand wouldn't be so bad IMO.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:36 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
How the hell is the man supposed to go uphill from a cup win or a game six in the finals. You can't go anywhere but down.

This team has a weaker roster than when he got here and is underperforming. But it's a team. It's not a K'nex set. It is comprised of real people. The culture that gets developed matters. Consistent personell matters. You can't ever expect to win it all if as soon as you hit a rough patch people start getting fired that don't need to be. Laviolette isn't the problem. This is a .500ish roster right now. They need a couple more players than they have and another year to get back into contention. It would also help if their GM had a plan beyond consistently flying by the seat of his pants. Holmgren has made some ballsy and great moves, but a steadier hand wouldn't be so bad IMO.
No I mean he got a cup with Carolina, then didn't do too well on the next couple of seasons. He came here. We almost got a cup, and haven't gotten that close since. Just something I observed.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:49 AM
dats81

Lavi has to go NOW!

He just doesn't get through to the players any more. His happy go lucky attack system does not produce. Players look like they don't believe any longer...enough!

Old
02-17-2013, 02:59 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Lavi has to go NOW!

He just doesn't get through to the players any more. His happy go lucky attack system does not produce. Players look like they don't believe any longer...enough!
You do realise that Terry Murray will be the next coach? It's the Flyers way. Be careful what you wish for!

Closed Thread