HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer?

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Matt Kassian on waivers from Minnesota?
Yes 86 74.78%
No 29 25.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 04:08 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Two games in a row the Bruins look disinterested to fight or goon up Sabres skilled players. This is why John Scott is worth ten times what Armstrong makes. Scott's mere presence both protects little Sabres and allows for them to be frisky.
I'm sorry some Hab fans don't see this.
I don't think they that the pacifist understand that we play our division rivals more than we ay some of the non-good teams like the non-goon non-goon teams out there.

It especially matters for the Habs.

It is logical to adjust a 4th line based on division needs.

Last edited by DAChampion: 02-16-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 04:18 PM
DAChampion

Even if you abhor fighting, even if you want it out of the game, be rational and realize that this irrelevant.

The NIL head office wants more fighting, more cheap shots, more heavy hits. They go out of their way to not suspend people.

Unbilateral disarmament is a bad idea.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:37 PM
DAChampion

I did not realize that ECWSHCI was a misogynist.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I don't think that the pacifist understand that we play our division rivals more than we ay some of the non-goon teams out there.

It especially matters for the Habs.

It is logical to adjust a 4th line based on division needs.
Absolutely correct.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:55 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Did anyone watch the Bruins Sabres game last night?

John Scott has taken away the intimidation game from the Bruins. Quite interesting to watch.
But aren't you glad we picked up Armstrong instead. Let me count the ways Armstrong or White for that matter make our team better than Scott makes Buffalo:
1.errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, hmmmmmmm, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, hmmmmmmmmmnmn

Never mind- too taxing on my brain to think of even one reason why either of these guys add more to Habs than John Scott adds to Sabres.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:37 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Two games in a row the Bruins look disinterested to fight or goon up Sabres skilled players. This is why John Scott is worth ten times what Armstrong makes. Scott's mere presence both protects little Sabres and allows for them to be frisky.
I'm sorry some Hab fans don't see this.
And I think that he might have had one shift in the 3rd Period. Just Scott sitting on the bench was enough to make Lucic and company look like leading candidates for the Lady Byng.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:54 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
And I think that he might have had one shift in the 3rd Period. Just Scott sitting on the bench was enough to make Lucic and company look like leading candidates for the Lady Byng.
Amen brother.
I just don't understand why intelligent Hab fans don't see this. What is causing them to be blinded by the obvious? SMH

Old
02-16-2013, 09:49 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Amen brother.
I just don't understand why intelligent Hab fans don't see this. What is causing them to be blinded by the obvious? SMH
Not sure.

Many of the fans who oppose having an enforcer typically are younger and all that they've seen is Canadiens hockey under Gainey and Gauthier.

Laraque is all they know and Laraque was a joke.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:43 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Not sure.

Many of the fans who oppose having an enforcer typically are younger and all that they've seen is Canadiens hockey under Gainey and Gauthier.

Laraque is all they know and Laraque was a joke.

Do people oppose having a 1st line center because of Gomez?

I am 29 btw ... Being 20+ is no excuse for not understanding how the NHL is run.

I think people have simply bought into the kool-aid that "this team is built on speed."

Old
02-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Mrb1p

Have we been bulied by the Bruins ?

The Bruins are pretty soft this year it's not because of Scott...

Old
02-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Et le But

The personal attacks really need to stop.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The personal attacks really need to stop.
Well that didn't take long

Old
02-16-2013, 11:11 PM
bud12

tough guys from the leafs got the job done this week. Orr, McLaren, Brown and Fraser combined for 5 points and a +10. how is that possible? They can't even skate And Orr played like 13 min tonight on the 3th line.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:14 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Do people oppose having a 1st line center because of Gomez?

I am 29 btw ... Being 20+ is no excuse for not understanding how the NHL is run.

I think people have simply bought into the kool-aid that "this team is built on speed."
and there's the others drinking a different one, thinking a single guy will make the whole team tough. Thinking they're "men" cause they like watching other people hitting eachother.

Not blaming them though, it's quite common.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:15 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
tough guys from the leafs got the job done this week. Orr, McLaren, Brown and Fraser combined for 5 points and a +10. how is that possible? They can't even skate And Orr played like 13 min tonight on the 3th line.
you know even Laraque got a hat trick once right ?

guess he was first line material

Old
02-16-2013, 11:20 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you know even Laraque got a hat trick once right ?

guess he was first line material
like Tom Pyatt or Armstrong? guess they are first line material too

Old
02-16-2013, 11:56 PM
Mrb1p

Bud and ECH something you guys are useless just taking shot at each others. Sincerely, Habs board.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:39 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Have we been bulied by the Bruins ?

The Bruins are pretty soft this year it's not because of Scott...
Don't worry if they wanted to bully us, they would. They won the game, nothing to prove.

I think we look good in front of soft teams or teams who are in trouble. But the two times this year where we faced hard-hitting teams like the Leafs and the Sens(the first time) we had trouble matching.

Our lines seems to be working well so far except the fourth line wich I think is worthless except for Eller(wich sooner than later will graduate on the third or second). I think Prust has replaced Moen as far as tough utlility player that you can play on different lines. And Armstrong doesn't provide anything. I wish we had a more hard-hitting fourth line. Play White, trade for Bryan Boyle as center, then add a Orr-type, then you can go to war.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Beendair Donedat

For all the idiots who say having a heavyweight doesn't matter, once again another skilled player says that they are important:

“I kind of knew that maybe I could run around there a little more,” Kadri added, chuckling. “Have a couple more hits. And no one really talked to me. Definitely his presence is felt out there. Guys know when he’s on the ice. I don’t know if you want to go in the same corner with that guy.”

Old
02-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
For all the idiots who say having a heavyweight doesn't matter, once again another skilled player says that they are important:

“I kind of knew that maybe I could run around there a little more,” Kadri added, chuckling. “Have a couple more hits. And no one really talked to me. Definitely his presence is felt out there. Guys know when he’s on the ice. I don’t know if you want to go in the same corner with that guy.”
Of course Kadri prefers not to go in the corner versus a big guy. Who wants to go battle say Chara?
That's not really an issue.

The real question is, does it affect the outcome of a game positively? I don't think that it does.
For the very few times that it can, I think there's an equal amount of times that it affects it negatively.

That being said, I think you need to adapt. Everybody in our division has one, so we should have one. Especially when you look at who's in the press box. Might as well have someone that we can use, instead of ruin.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Beendair Donedat

Kriss,

Kadri isn't just talking about the corners, he's saying he has a lot more room to do his thing out there and he's not bothered as much... That means a lot to a smaller skilled guy.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:29 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Kriss,

Kadri isn't just talking about the corners, he's saying he has a lot more room to do his thing out there and he's not bothered as much... That means a lot to a smaller skilled guy.
I'm all for having a heavyweight that can play good hockey. Guys like Shawn Thornton, Chris Neil, and Lucic would be welcome on my team anytime.

But to have a guy who's not good enough to be in the NHL on your team just because he can fight is stupid in my opinion.
Last I checked, moral victories don't count in the standings.

I'm happy with guys like Prust, White, and Moen in the lineup. They're not heavyweights, but they're not afraid to drop 'em. Would be nice if Tinordi made the jump up and got a little meaner too. We need more of that on the back end.

I also wouldn't mind replacing Armstrong with someone a little tougher. I've been very underwhelmed by his play.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Kriss,

exactly
he meant he had more freedom to play out there and throuw a few more hits cause he has a big guy on HIS team that would protect him.

We dont need a heavyweight enforcer but we need someone that can atleast play 7-8 a game and not hurt you and pummel and crunch people hard

the problem is yes we got tougher than previous versions of this team, but everyone around us got tougher to so we're still not "tough enough"

Old
02-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Kriss,

I think it's an absolute mistake to have an enforcer on the ice while the opposing team has skilled guys on.
Kadri might want to skate around with his head up more, and try to stay out of trouble, but I'm pretty sure he'll be getting a lot more scoring chances than if he played versus a smaller but more skilled line like Plekanec's.

Players will never say they're against heavyweights. Fighting is part of hockey, always has been. Most of the players in the league have them as teammates, or at least had one at some point. I'm sure throughout their careers, plenty of them have bonded with some and/or have friends doing this tough job. So they'll never admit to HWs not holding much of an importance.
Imagine if Kadri said he doesn't think a HW like Orr is needed, that he rather have a more skilled bottom liner instead, a la Moen. Well, the next time he gets hit from behind, or knee on knee, or elbowed to the head, you think Orr will go help the teammate that just called him useless?

Of course players are going to stand by each other.

As for Kadri having more room out there thanks to having a guy like Orr, I think it's fictional. Otherwise teams with enforcers on them would never see their skilled players get pushed. We all know that isn't the case.
And again, does it really affect the outcome of a game? I don't think so. Otherwise we would have lost every game versus Boston over the past few years.

As I said, I don't think having an enforcer changes much. It's good to know there's a guy that can defend you, but skilled guys tend to play versus skilled guys. So generally speaking, I doubt players worry about this. Especially with the instigator rule now, just look at what happened to White.

I think you need to adapt. If your most common opponents have one, then you should have one too.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
exactly
he meant he had more freedom to play out there and throuw a few more hits cause he has a big guy on HIS team that would protect him.

We dont need a heavyweight enforcer but we need someone that can atleast play 7-8 a game and not hurt you and pummel and crunch people hard

the problem is yes we got tougher than previous versions of this team, but everyone around us got tougher to so we're still not "tough enough"
Emelin lead the NHL in hits at some point, now is 5th, yet we don't have an enforcer.

Kadri is just a panzy.

Closed Thread