HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Wang in preliminary talks to sell team!

Old
02-16-2013, 06:27 PM
JetsMetsIsles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
I live in Queens and I never considered Brooklyn and Queens as being "Long Island" although geographically they are.

I guess the thing I don't like about the move is that I feel it changes the team's identity. It becomes the city's team instead of the Island's team.

Maybe those of you who had season tickets back in the 80s like I did for 24 years would feel this way. Maybe those of you who went to the Stanley Cup parades on Hempstead Turnpike would agree with me.
Our team needs a change of identity. Maybe it doesn't bother me because im in Nassau right next to Queens.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:27 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 0
JUST SAW THIS! YES!!!

I'm so happy right now! Too many words to put them in literal sentences right now!

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:50 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichOnTheLI View Post
I feel the same way you do. Although, I'll still continue to watch them play on TV. I just refuse to have to ride the LIRR to Brooklyn on a worknight in the middle of the winter.
I also don't believe anything I read in the papers anymore, but if this is true, Wang won't be known for keeping the Islanders on LI like he was 10 years ago; he'll be known as the guy who moved the Islanders from LI.
I fall into this category. I'm not a big fan of riding public transportation.

One of the reasons I probably became an Islanders fan was because of convenience. Growing up in Queens Village, it was easier to drive to the Coliseum than to get on a bus to Jamaica to get the subway to the Garden. My father took me to my first game at the Coliseum in 1972 and was hooked on this team from then. The reason he is an Islanders fan was because it was easier to get Islanders tickets back then than Rangers tickets.

If this team wasn't located where they were in 1972 I probably do not become a hockey fan at all.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Mr Wentworth
Isles Masochist

One thing I have yet to see mentioned...

All this "moving to Brooklyn, what about fans?"...

Isn't there a big Russian population in that area of Brooklyn?

The Isles will help give them their hockey fix.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:51 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichOnTheLI View Post
I feel the same way you do. Although, I'll still continue to watch them play on TV. I just refuse to have to ride the LIRR to Brooklyn on a worknight in the middle of the winter.

I also don't believe anything I read in the papers anymore, but if this is true, Wang won't be known for keeping the Islanders on LI like he was 10 years ago; he'll be known as the guy who moved the Islanders from LI.
Agreed on both counts.

Old
02-16-2013, 06:52 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Maybe those of you who had season tickets back in the 80s like I did for 24 years would feel this way. Maybe those of you who went to the Stanley Cup parades on Hempstead Turnpike would agree with me.
Grew up on LI, saw hundreds of games at the Coliseum in the 70's and 80's, and I absolutely love the move to Brooklyn under the circumstances. LI just wasn't working out anymore. The Coliseum is a crumbling dump and only the real estate deal would have allowed Wang to support the team in a proper fashion in Nassau.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:52 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
Our team needs a change of identity. Maybe it doesn't bother me because im in Nassau right next to Queens.
Too bad they had to have a change of address.

Old
02-16-2013, 06:56 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

We've seen these "Wang to sell the Islanders" rumors over and over in recent years. I'll believe it when it actually happens, and I'm not holding my breath.

I also don't get the commentary about (if Wang sells) Wang will known as the guy who moved the Islanders off Long Island. Brooklyn is geographically on Long Island. Wang would be known as the guy who moved the team out of Nassau. Can't blame him either as he tried to get them a new home with either his money or with help from taxpayers and the county and neither were granted.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:59 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
Grew up on LI, saw hundreds of games at the Coliseum in the 70's and 80's, and I absolutely love the move to Brooklyn under the circumstances. LI just wasn't working out anymore. The Coliseum is a crumbling dump and only the real estate deal would have allowed Wang to support the team in a proper fashion in Nassau.
No doubt the building wasn't functional anymore. Too bad the voters in Nassau County were too shortsighted vote for a project that would result in a first rate entertainment venue. I feel something like that is a public good and enhances the quality of life for everyone. It becomes a destination and keeps the money at home instead of forcing everyone to go into the city for hockey, concerts, car shows, etc.

Too bad Charles Wang didn't want to scale back the original LHP plans. The project was too big in scale for the area.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Darth Bangkok

**** yeah!

God I hope this works out.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Bexlyspeed

would be great if he sells, will be even better if this group wants to spend money and also hire good hockey people, but i guess I'm getting way ahead of things

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:35 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
The 300 mil asking price either kills the credibility of the story or the proposed deal. At some point actual value comes into play.

Wang taking on partners is the worst possible outcome as he is apparently a total control freak.

Yup.

You have no idea how excited I was when I initially saw this article. Then I started reading.

I hate wang so much. So very very much.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:40 PM
periferal

This "story" is going to be our new Lighthouse project.

Wake me in ten years when Wang dies and leaves the team to his son...

...then shoot me.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Yitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
yea well, Wang could have tried to see if someone wanted to keep them here

There was still talks of other buyers and there were other plans on "Fixing" the Coliseum and the Area

Wang wanted to move to Brooklyn because he knew they would be worth more money
No one was going to keep the team here. Long Island doesn't want the Islanders here, they're better off in Brooklyn. Despite the history they've had here it's so much better for them to move to a real market.

Yitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:07 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Quote:
I fall into this category. I'm not a big fan of riding public transportation.

One of the reasons I probably became an Islanders fan was because of convenience. Growing up in Queens Village, it was easier to drive to the Coliseum than to get on a bus to Jamaica to get the subway to the Garden. My father took me to my first game at the Coliseum in 1972 and was hooked on this team from then. The reason he is an Islanders fan was because it was easier to get Islanders tickets back then than Rangers tickets.

If this team wasn't located where they were in 1972 I probably do not become a hockey fan at all.
And if you move to Brooklyn you make yourself way more accessible to an entire city of people. Not to mention people further north of the city are going to have it a bit easier getting to games. While you add an extra 20-30 min drive for people in Suffolk, you also are putting yourself into a whole new market. Like I said earlier, the Nets moved from NJ to Brooklyn and are doing very well for themselves, and I don't expect that to be different for the Isles.

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:22 PM
RealSturat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
I follow the Isles harder now that I am further away. I appreciate them more being away from NY. Being away fro my team even made me appreciate the sport more and I picked up a team B in the Lightning.
Having to watch all your games on TV I guess does that for you. I have yet to pick up a "B" team. Been to both Blue Jackets and Penguins games against teams other than the Islanders, rooted for the home team, and enjoyed myself.

If I was picking a B team and I picked the Jackets, then I am just asking for the punishment.

RealSturat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSturat View Post
Having to watch all your games on TV I guess does that for you. I have yet to pick up a "B" team. Been to both Blue Jackets and Penguins games against teams other than the Islanders, rooted for the home team, and enjoyed myself.

If I was picking a B team and I picked the Jackets, then I am just asking for the punishment.
Don't get me wrong I see the Isles down here every chance I get. I've also gone to a few non Islander Lightning games as well. Matter of fact going to the Lightning/Bruins game this week.

02-16-2013, 10:54 PM
IslesFan23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
And Brooklyn is not on Long Island
Please, oh please look at a map.

IslesFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:21 PM
ichabod13

why would wang sell now?
he paid about 190 million for the team, and then lost about 200 million......he was a Billionaire before he bought the islanders, and hes no longer a Billionaire.
why sell the team now when there might be a boatload of money to be made after they move?
if he sold now,--for 300 million--that would be about 90 million dollars lost. and the 300 million would not put him back into the billionaire status.

so why sell now?

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:25 AM
Bert Marshall days

As excited as I'd like to be with this news the 300 mil is a buzzkill.

Even starting at that figure to negotiate lower isn't realistic consdering the current value even though they will be worth much more in Brooklyn. But not 300 mil or a little less.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:35 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
why would wang sell now?
he paid about 190 million for the team, and then lost about 200 million......he was a Billionaire before he bought the islanders, and hes no longer a Billionaire.
why sell the team now when there might be a boatload of money to be made after they move?
if he sold now,--for 300 million--that would be about 90 million dollars lost. and the 300 million would not put him back into the billionaire status.

so why sell now?
Well most successful business people will tell you "Throwing Good Money after Bad" is not a good idea and since Wang is finding new and improved ways to circumvent the cap floor he is already using this logic. If he felt he could make money by dumping more in he would follow suit but again obviously he has given up on the team and the fans at this point IMHO.

02-17-2013, 12:54 AM
Paulinho
:baghead:

Send a message via Yahoo to Paulinho
Please lord, make this dream a reality.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:33 AM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
why would wang sell now?

so why sell now?
Because he's awful at running the team and getting something back is better than getting nothing back. There is no guarantee that he'll make money on the Isles, especially considering the only way to do that would be to spend money...which is obviously something he is unwilling to do.

So, if he doesn't want to spend the money to make money at this point he'd still lose money in Brooklyn with this team. Now he can not lose all of his money if he can find a buyer.

I also don't think he or anyone else with nearly a billion dollars really gives a ****. Oh wow, he only has 900 million dollars now, what a shame. His lifestyle hasn't changed personally, I can guarantee that.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:44 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quick question for all of you. As a prospective owner what type of team is more attractive one? One with a low paroll that hasnt been good so possibly getting them a little cheaper, or a good team with high payroll and good attendance? Just curious. I think that IF the price wasnt too high I would want to buy the better team, better arena, and better attendcance. But, most of the time those teams arent for sale.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Bert Marshall days

Looks like it's for sale to anyone with 300 mil, just like before with LaFontaine and the Euro investors. Bogus then and probably bogus now.

Wang wll sell one day but not for 300 mil.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote