HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Well... We are officially the team to beat in the East!!

Old
07-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabesfan View Post
They were 1 period away from getting to the finals with 4 of there 6 starting d-men out injured!!! Teppo being injured did not "expose them"..... Tallinder, Mckee, and Kalinin are more important to the defence than Teppo is. They will be fine next year and Spacek may actually be an upgrade over Mckee. Know what the heck you are talking about before you post garbage like that!!

Kalinin had a lousy season and Numminen was certainly better than him. Numminen also provided a veteran, stabilizing presence. It's good for the Sabres that they've resigned him. It's bad for the Sabres that they've lost two of their three gritty players.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 07:28 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
The only team I could see on pair with us are the NY Rangers...

Ottawa just lost their most underrated foward, Havlat was Ottawa's second line..

Bruins arent improved enough..

Habs are gonna be as solid as last year defensively, the big difference will be up front where you will find a much more skilled and offensively dangerous team...

3 names: Perezhogin Kostitsyn, Grabovski.
Don't make me laugh. It hurts. We will be lucky to make the playoffs !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Mike8

I don't buy all this hype about the Eastern conference getting significantly better. People said that last year, too. People are saying it about the West as well. So every team is getting better, eh?

Last year, Boston had Thornton, Samsonov, Boynton, Raycroft. This year they have Chara, Savard, Mara, Thomas. Big deal. I don't see them being a significantly better team on paper. Thomas is a question mark; Savard's unproven without top tier linemates; Chara looked like a slug down the stretch in the playoffs, and he certainly didn't prevent Montreal from competing with a vastly superior Ottawa club.

This isn't to say Boston won't be improved, but there's no need to act like it's a given. They've made a splash in the UFA market because they cut loose their core mid-season. In other words, they've merely retooled. A step sideways in the hopes that it's a step upwards. They're not relying on young players to progress and come into their own: Bergeron & Boyes already have. There's no other young impact player on the club, with the possible exception of Stuart.

Ottawa's certainly not improved. They'll be a completely different team, and I suspect they're not done retooling yet, but their retooling will be a step sideways in the hopes of better playoff success. They certainly won't be a stronger regular season club.

Toronto's made a splash, but still has a boat load of question marks surrounding the goaltending, depth on defense, and impact forwards.

NYR - I really like what they've done. They were a soft team, so they went out and obtained Cullen, Aaron Ward and Shanahan; three players that can play big minutes and bring more grit to the lineup.

On the flip side, who's to say that Cullen doesn't revert to his pre-Carolina play? Ward had a terrific playoff run, but has been abysmal in recent years. That defense is still spotty. The goaltending, while impressive this past season, is still unproven. The offense is still soft, for the most part, and Shanahan's too old to fully change that fact.

These teams have re-tooled. Just because they've acquired big names doesn't mean they've gotten better. Just because the Rangers were better than Montreal last season and added to their core, it does not automatically mean that they'll be better than Montreal again this coming season. It's not even likely. The Rangers have plenty of question marks--as do the other teams mentioned--just as Montreal does.

Old
07-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

That's pushing it.....

We'll make the playoffs, but to say we are officially the team to beat in the east is stupid.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 07:47 PM
SOLR

My opinion on this is very simple: its just too hard to tell before we reach the half season. A lot of movement this summer and I dont think Ottawa is all alone like the other years.(For the regular season.)

A Division by Division analysis would tell us that our division will be stronger since we dont have a team like the NYI, Pittsburg or Washington.

Im pretty confident for the team and I think we are in for some good surprises, just how far will it go thats where Im a bit puzzled. From 5th to 7th probably.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin_goon View Post
im sure you meant a loss to ottawa and not boston

well see, Boston's D corps is better this year. But offensively, not really. i mean they have like one line...

we'll see what Savard can do with players of lesser caliber then in Atlanta.

We'll get to see him 8 times a year and all. Will we be able to beat them 7 times again?
Yes, loss to Ottawa.

No, the Habs are highly unlikely to take 7 of 8 from the Bruins, and there go some of the cheap points our Habs fans are taking for granted. If the Bruins had won 3 of the 8 games, the Habs would have had 89 points, and how many did Atlanta get? It would have ben a close call.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taupy View Post
What's the use of having great speed when you don't have the guts to take the puck in the corner?
You're assuming Latendresse will accomplish more. Maybe, but he can't kill penalties and he's likely to make lots of rookie mistakes if he goes to the Habs directly from the juniors. As for Kostitsyn, his play was daid to be pretty static for stretches. His AHL points record was nothing to brag about. Hre might not be ready for the NHL this season.

Old
07-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Roxor

Send a message via MSN to Roxor
i think its a little too much optimistic to say we're the team to beat

things arent looking good to me but seriously, who thought Anaheim would make the playoffs last year?

i didnt.

Roxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I understand the point you are making and it's a valid one. I personally think that compared to other teams(in general), we have more younger players playing bigger roles. Clearly that is a slippery slope and is impossible to predict what will happen. I don't think this team is far off from what a Buffalo did last year. Alot of talented players just waiting to him it big. Could it happen this year? Maybe, but I'm not expecting the world. I think this team is chugging down the right path, probably not as fast as some would like, but moving in the right direction none the less.

I think our goaltending situation is in good shape. I will for the moment assume Huet will play close to what he did last year. Our defense, IMO, is much better then people give it credit for. Markov is on the fringe of becoming a legit #1 defensemen and Souary/Rivet are rough, mean and very tough to play against. Komisarek I believe will have his break out season. He showed amazing progress last year and really found his barrings as an NHL *** kicker.

Up front we need help, clearly. We need someone like Plekanec or Perezhogin to show up big time. I'm still of the thinking that Gainey will make a move and that move being getting Robert Lang. Lang would become a 1b center, if you will. I don't think it's totally out of the question that this team breaks out but it's also very possible that the team fizzles out and youth/inexperience show.
I essentially agree. However, IMO young players like Heatley, Spezza, Staal, Crosby, Malkin, Horton, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Bergeron, etc., have great upside--more than Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Chipchura, and Latendresse.

Old
07-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I essentially agree. However, IMO young players like Heatley, Spezza, Staal, Crosby, Malkin, Horton, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Bergeron, etc., have great upside--more than Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Chipchura, and Latendresse.
Can't argue with that but I guess we just have to hope that Koivu and Kovalev stay healthy along with those youngsters stepping it up.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 11:13 PM
castlesave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Kalinin had a lousy season and Numminen was certainly better than him. Numminen also provided a veteran, stabilizing presence. It's good for the Sabres that they've resigned him. It's bad for the Sabres that they've lost two of their three gritty players.
Kalinin was our best D-man next to Tallinder in the Philly series before he got hurt... He was battling injuries all year long and had a tough regular season, that I agree with you on, but he is sure to rebound and be a top 4 guy next year. Buffalo may have the strongest 1-6 defense in the Eastern conference next year....

castlesave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Huet stole 15 (give or take) for Montreal last year.. and I mean stole..

By your theory, if we take away somewhere between 10-20 points off our final standings we'll still finish 5th?

Pretty amazing indeed.
Did you ever notice that young players usually get better with time? Higgins, Zhogy, Pleks and Komi will most likely have more solid seasons, Kosty should be up there too..

Our defense is way too underrated... we have a very solid core.

Goalies should do the job.

anyways... just look at our team 5 years ago... it has improved more than ever expected in a such short time, thanks to great professionnal and amateur scouting. If you think that were going to fight for a playoff spot, I think you're quite pessimistic.

I see all of Kovalev, Higgins, Perezhogin and Ryder as realistcly potential 30 goals scrorers.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 11:34 PM
globalkiller*

you are sounding like leaf fans wake up

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Certainly nobody is afraid of you guys anymore. Tom Preissing? Corvo? Gimme a break. You ever seen those guys play? On top of that, you have the same lack of character issues. And now your goaltending is confirmed to suck. I see a big dropoff in the works.

The only positive I can see is that Vermette's role gets expanded. Long overdue.

What else? Nothing. You guys are screwed.

globalkiller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 12:26 AM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
I would argue that Kostitsyn has Bergeron and Horton's upside, but it's highly debateable and irrelevant, since it takes more than a star or two to make a great team. Ask Don Waddell that.

Upside projections:

Higgins 35g 45a
Zhogy 35g 45a
Plekanec 25g 45a
Kosty 45g 40a
Lats 35g 40a
Ryder 40g 40a
Chip 20g 40a

If the Habs can manage anywhere close to 200 goals from its top two lines they'll be in fine shape in the future. 50 goals from the third unit, 30 from the fourth line, and 40 from the defence - 340 goals!!!!! You don't need a 50-goal scorer to have a potent offence.

I'm not saying that any of our young guys will reach those numbers, but they're plausible.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:07 AM
Adam91

Realisticly the Habs are probably still 3rd in the division behind Ottawa and Buffalo, same as last year IMO.

Chara isn't that big a loss, trust me

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:32 AM
Caesium

vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
I would argue that Kostitsyn has Bergeron and Horton's upside, but it's highly debateable and irrelevant, since it takes more than a star or two to make a great team. Ask Don Waddell that.

Upside projections:

Higgins 35g 45a
Zhogy 35g 45a
Plekanec 25g 45a
Kosty 45g 40a
Lats 35g 40a
Ryder 40g 40a
Chip 20g 40a

If the Habs can manage anywhere close to 200 goals from its top two lines they'll be in fine shape in the future. 50 goals from the third unit, 30 from the fourth line, and 40 from the defence - 340 goals!!!!! You don't need a 50-goal scorer to have a potent offence.

I'm not saying that any of our young guys will reach those numbers, but they're plausible.
If Higgins goes from 23G and 15A to 35G 45A, does that mean Steen can score 27G and 81A?

Funny who all of the Habs prospects seem to be able to triple or quadruple their production, but habs fans come on the Leaf board and say the Leaf prospects don't have half the potential the the hab prospects do, yet the Leaf prospects outperform the hab prospects by a considerable margin and at a younger age.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:43 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
And clearly, all those prospects you mentionned are all in the same team. Meanwhile, the Montreal prospects are shared between the league.

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku View Post
And clearly, all those prospects you mentionned are all in the same team. Meanwhile, the Montreal prospects are shared between the league.
Not to mention the fact that Latendresse, Perezhogin and company are established players in the league that shouldn't see much improvement in the production, whereas Heatley, Kovalchuk, Staal and co. have yet to reach their peak. Right?

The two groups are not comparable. Taking a group of (older) bluechippers from a half dozen teams who are established and comparing them to a group of prospects on one team is nonsensical.

Old
07-11-2006, 07:41 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
If Higgins goes from 23G and 15A to 35G 45A, does that mean Steen can score 27G and 81A?

Funny who all of the Habs prospects seem to be able to triple or quadruple their production, but habs fans come on the Leaf board and say the Leaf prospects don't have half the potential the the hab prospects do, yet the Leaf prospects outperform the hab prospects by a considerable margin and at a younger age.
Upside

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 08:52 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
Higgins 35g 45a
Zhogy 35g 45a
Plekanec 25g 45a
Kosty 45g 40a
Lats 35g 40a
Ryder 40g 40a
Chip 20g 40a
Holy crap! Multiply those numbers by .66 and you'll be closer to reality...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 09:01 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Holy crap! Multiply those numbers by .66 and you'll be closer to reality...
I don't think those numbers are that far off. I don't expect them to do it next year but some day.

Old
07-11-2006, 09:02 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post

Ease up on the generalizations, one posters point prediction do not not reflect the opinions of countless hab fans.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 10:48 AM
LeMAD

ok my turn:

Upside projections:

Higgins 30g 35a
Zhogy 30g 40a
Plekanec 20g 35a
Kosty 25g 25a
Lats 30g 30a
Ryder 30g 30a
Chip 15g 25a

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
ok my turn:

Upside projections:

Higgins 30g 35a
Zhogy 30g 40a
Plekanec 20g 35a
Kosty 25g 25a
Lats 30g 30a
Ryder 30g 30a
Chip 15g 25a
You don't think Kost is ever going to score more then 25 goals in a season? Or Chip more then 15?

Old
07-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Taupy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Ease up on the generalizations, one posters point prediction do not not reflect the opinions of countless hab fans.
It's not even point prediction, it is the ceiling that they could have some day. Who said next year?

It's realistic to think they can do that one day, but I don't think Higgins have that much upside, but it's me.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote