HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Soviet Union beat Canada (4-3) 1991 Canada Cup

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2013, 07:35 PM
  #1
Stars23*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Soviet Union beat Canada (4-3) 1991 Canada Cup

Watched the game again after a long time - Soviet Union actually beat Team Canada (4-3) in the 1991 Canada Cup.

Team Canada ref's waived off the good Goal by the Soviets (nothing happened at all) and even the announcers couldn't believe it. The refs and Canada were panicking over being beaten by kids.

Probable one the best Games all time (Internationally).


The Soviet Unions C (filled with 18-20 year olds) beat Canada fair and square.

Going to post a clip of the Goal tonight/tomorrow but full game is on Youtube somewhere also.

Stars23* is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 07:57 PM
  #2
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
True, it was a good game. I am struggling to understand the purpose though (other than trolling) because there is nothing to discuss.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 08:27 PM
  #3
Stars23*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
True, it was a good game. I am struggling to understand the purpose though (other than trolling) because there is nothing to discuss.
Calm down. lots to discuss - you trolling here cause it's true? Controlling games/Cheating is significant enough for more in-depth look

Come back and check later and you can see the video itself.

A bunch of 18 year old Soviets beating the last Undefeated team in Canada Cups and Olympics history (decades before and after).

Stars23* is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 08:58 PM
  #4
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23 View Post
Calm down. lots to discuss - you trolling here cause it's true? Controlling games/Cheating is significant enough for more in-depth look

Come back and check later and you can see the video itself.

A bunch of 18 year old Soviets beating the last Undefeated team in Canada Cups and Olympics history (decades before and after).
It is obvious trolling due to your post history, mainly an obvious anti-Canada agenda. In any event, the game was a tie. If you want to discuss that goal/non-goal, then post the video or at least describe it. I remember something shady from the game.

As far as Canada losing to an inferior opponent (though this was not a loss), this example does not match the shock of losing to say... Switzerland in 2006. There is also the fact that you are lying about the composition of the Soviet team. It was a very young Soviet team, and definitely not close to the best available, but they were not a bunch of 18 year-olds. The majority were in their 20s, and they also featured Kasatonov of all people.

The lack of discussion relates to your original post, bereft of any leading points. Just you listing some facts and some of your opinions, with no direction or questions.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 09:32 PM
  #5
Stars23*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
It is obvious trolling due to your post history, mainly an obvious anti-Canada agenda. In any event, the game was a tie. If you want to discuss that goal/non-goal, then post the video or at least describe it. I remember something shady from the game.

As far as Canada losing to an inferior opponent (though this was not a loss), this example does not match the shock of losing to say... Switzerland in 2006. There is also the fact that you are lying about the composition of the Soviet team. It was a very young Soviet team, and definitely not close to the best available, but they were not a bunch of 18 year-olds. The majority were in their 20s, and they also featured Kasatonov of all people.

The lack of discussion relates to your original post, bereft of any leading points. Just you listing some facts and some of your opinions, with no direction or questions.
You need glasses? I said I would post the video tonight or tomorrow - stop bothering me and get a life.

Just because i post something you don't like and you start going ape, relax

Stars23* is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:14 PM
  #6
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23 View Post
You need glasses? I said I would post the video tonight or tomorrow - stop bothering me and get a life.
I don't need glasses. If you're going to get the video, then it makes sense to wait until you actually have the video before creating the thread. As it stands, what you have done is basically pointless as all you have given are your own inflammatory opinions with a few lies tossed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23 View Post
Just because i post something you don't like and you start going ape, relax
You keep telling me to calm down or relax, and yet I am not hostile. The hostility will be coming to the thread soon though, I'm sure. I expect you didn't make a ridiculous thread and then expect a bunch of posters to come in here and marvel at your insights.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 11:30 PM
  #7
Stars23*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Now back to the topic (not going to answer you unless you have a real question)........


This game was one of the best I have ever seen to be honest (for people who like discuss).

Team Canada got some real quality chaces but Mikhail Shtalenkov stood on his head with most of the Soviet Team with 18-23 years olds and a few older but this was the Soviet B/C team missing 3/4 of the top players and still managed to Beat*/Tie a awesome Team Canada with prime Gretzky.

Gretzky even schooled Fedorov pretty hard, taught the youngster a lesson with a Hard Deke-Fake.

Stars23* is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 01:20 AM
  #8
Stars23*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Here you go - Make sure to see the Slow-Mo on 2:29



Stars23* is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 01:23 AM
  #9
Stars23*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23 View Post
Here you go - Make sure to see the Slow-Mo on 2:29
Sorry here


Stars23* is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 01:28 AM
  #10
Stars23*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
If you watch on Youtube large viewer in 480p - you can clearly see the puck go over the line - confirmed by Goal Judge and both Announcers

Stars23* is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 05:30 AM
  #11
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,904
vCash: 500
nothing really of much interest to discuss here. A disallowed goal, a referee's error... must be the first in the history of sport I guess that an official made an error. I suppect the OP would like to take the conversation in another direction though.
I don't see how much of a reasonable debate can come out of a disallowed goal. It was a long time ago. The only thing I remember of the 91 CC was that it was Eric Lindros' coming out party. Have fun, but I'll be ignoring this useless thread. (personal opinion)

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 10:07 AM
  #12
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23 View Post
You should because you're trying to start a fight and I'm here for discussing the game, but you seem intent on trolling by:
I am enjoying your "who me?!" act. The very first sentence in your OP is a lie. The game ended as a tie, and yet you say that USSR actually won. The very next sentence involves you saying that the refs were basically Team Canada members, and then they colluded to keep the team from losing to USSR. You then lie, or at the very least mislead, about the age of the Soviet team to make their performance seem significantly more impressive. I mainly see wishful thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23 View Post
Going to report this to a Mod if you continue.
Feel free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23 View Post
Now stop acting like this, and show some respect to opinions without going crazy.
I am posting about your opinion, and the content of the posts. Both of which are pretty poor, and thus my own posts convey this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23 View Post
Sorry here

Thank you for posting the video. Now, I agree that the goal puck probably completely crossed the threshold, though just barely. That said, the video is not conclusive due to the terrible angle. It doesn't look like the ref had a very good angle either. The refs undoubtedly did prefer Canada, but this non-goal is not exactly proof of collusion as you have stated.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 01:06 PM
  #13
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,800
vCash: 500
Oh yeah? Well Finland was the rightful winner in the semifinal in Nagano because Janne Niinimaa.

Jussi is online now  
Old
02-16-2013, 06:25 PM
  #14
Stars23*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Oh yeah? Well Finland was the rightful winner in the semifinal in Nagano because Janne Niinimaa.
Finland had 3 more Goals disallowed? lol

Stars23* is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 06:36 PM
  #15
Stars23*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
nothing really of much interest to discuss here. A disallowed goal, a referee's error... I don't see how much of a reasonable debate can come out of a disallowed goal. It was a long time ago. The only thing I remember of the 91 CC was that it was Eric Lindros' coming out party. Have fun, but I'll be ignoring this useless thread. (personal opinion)
Ignore if you want - you know the Truth now (and everyone else will around the world - Youtube) and that's all I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Thank you for posting the video. Now, I agree that the goal puck probably completely crossed the threshold, though just barely. That said, the video is not conclusive due to the terrible angle. It doesn't look like the ref had a very good angle either. The refs undoubtedly did prefer Canada, but this non-goal is not exactly proof of collusion as you have stated.
It's called the "Labatt Canada Cup" run by a Beer company - with North American Ref's, on small ice.

I could see (and many others) that collusion is a valid point. 1972*-1987*-1996* in Canada Cups & 2008*-2011* for World Championships Russia-Canada games had well known major ethical issue(s).


The referee (as the announcers said) that he had a perfect view. He saw the goal going in and waived it off (NO REASONING GIVEN* and NO VIDEO REPLAY*)

So CTV Crews only have Video-Replay technology? lol Or they didn't want to Review because they already knew it went it.

Stars23* is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 08:07 PM
  #16
Mehar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Oh yeah? Well Finland was the rightful winner in the semifinal in Nagano because Janne Niinimaa.
LOL. Everyone knows Stars23 is a troll and not to be taken seriously. Have fun kid, since every forum can use a clown to lighten things up.

Mehar is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 08:09 PM
  #17
Stars23*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
LOL. Everyone knows Stars23 is a troll and not to be taken seriously. Have fun kid, since every forum can use a clown to lighten things up.
Wow- so much crying over my Video proof - Guess I touched a nerve lol Soviet union won that's all I'm saying

Stars23* is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 08:41 PM
  #18
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23* View Post
Ignore if you want - you know the Truth now (and everyone else will around the world - Youtube) and that's all I need.
The truth is out there. I want to believe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23* View Post
It's called the "Labatt Canada Cup" run by a Beer company - with North American Ref's, on small ice.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23* View Post
I could see (and many others) that collusion is a valid point. 1972*-1987*-1996* in Canada Cups & 2008*-2011* for World Championships Russia-Canada games had well known major ethical issue(s).
You will have to enlighten me on the 2008-2011 ethical issues.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23* View Post
The referee (as the announcers said) that he had a perfect view. He saw the goal going in and waived it off (NO REASONING GIVEN* and NO VIDEO REPLAY*)
Even if the referee did have the perfect view, and I don't think he did, this does not prove anything singlehandedly. You do realize that the possibility exists that the puck did not actually go in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23* View Post
So CTV Crews only have Video-Replay technology? lol Or they didn't want to Review because they already knew it went it.
Well my friend, considering that the NHL did not yet use video replay I would guess that the refs did not have it available to them. If it was available, then I agree that they should have used it. Had that video been the only one available, there would not have been sufficient evidence to overturn anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23* View Post
Wow- so much crying over my Video proof - Guess I touched a nerve lol Soviet union won that's all I'm saying
Your assumptions are quite comical. I have to give credit to the USSR hockey team - they're the only team good enough that they win even in games that end in a tie or loss.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:39 PM
  #19
Mr Kanadensisk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,643
vCash: 500
I kind of get a chuckle out of this thread since just two or three days ago in one of the OP's many deleted posts he stated he absolutely didn't care about the Canada Cup. Then right after that he started this thread about a fairly insignificant round robin game from over 20 years ago.

Mr Kanadensisk is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 07:22 AM
  #20
EbencoyE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
NHL refs for ya. Obviously they are going to prefer their own country, especially against the "evil empire". that's why the IIHF doesn't allow referees to work games involving their own country, and also why the Canada/World Cup was a joke. Well, in addition to the fact that Europeans didn't care about it and that it was always held on North American ice.

EbencoyE is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 07:42 AM
  #21
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
NHL refs for ya. Obviously they are going to prefer their own country, especially against the "evil empire". that's why the IIHF doesn't allow referees to work games involving their own country, and also why the Canada/World Cup was a joke. Well, in addition to the fact that Europeans didn't care about it and that it was always held on North American ice.
The referee in that game was Paul Stewart. An American who is now Director of Officiating for the KHL, or assisting/consulting the KHL. Oh, how little people know of the history of the sport.

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 07:49 AM
  #22
EbencoyE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
The referee in that game was Paul Stewart. An American who is now Director of Officiating for the KHL, or assisting/consulting the KHL. Oh, how little people know of the history of the sport.
Americans are North Americans too. In fact, I might even go so far as to say Americans hated the "evil empire" (as President Reagan put it) more than the Canadians did.

Not sure what the KHL has to do with anything, as the KHL is a Russian league, not a Soviet league. Meaning they're nice and capitalist now. Nothing to worry about.

EbencoyE is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 08:01 AM
  #23
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
Americans are North Americans too. In fact, I might even go so far as to say Americans hated the "evil empire" (as President Reagan put it) more than the Canadians did.

Not sure what the KHL has to do with anything, as the KHL is a Russian league, not a Soviet league. Meaning they're nice and capitalist now. Nothing to worry about.
That's not what you said, but I was only correcting your statement "from their own country" Generally only people from Europe lump the two together. Now, you being an American, (If in fact you are?) surely you are not suggesting that America is Canada and Canada is America. From the tone of your 1st post to which I responded, it sounds pretty much like you have a particular anti-Canadian bias yourself, so much so that makes me wonder, the identity of the person who opened this thread to begin with. I have my suspensions that the OP is a ghost account to stir up **** just a little. Just sayin.

Anyway, it's Hockey Day in America. "A great Day for Hockey." You know who uttered those infamous words?

This is a troll thread to begin with and should be shut down by the MODs immediately. Or else I'll go to the international forum and start a discussion on 50 years of cheating by the IIHF. I'm sure that will stir up similar debate.

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 08:35 AM
  #24
EbencoyE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
That's not what you said, but I was only correcting your statement "from their own country" Generally only people from Europe lump the two together. Now, you being an American, (If in fact you are?) surely you are not suggesting that America is Canada and Canada is America. From the tone of your 1st post to which I responded, it sounds pretty much like you have a particular anti-Canadian bias yourself, so much so that makes me wonder, the identity of the person who opened this thread to begin with. I have my suspensions that the OP is a ghost account to stir up **** just a little. Just sayin.

Anyway, it's Hockey Day in America. "A great Day for Hockey." You know who uttered those infamous words?

This is a troll thread to begin with and should be shut down by the MODs immediately. Or else I'll go to the international forum and start a discussion on 50 years of cheating by the IIHF. I'm sure that will stir up similar debate.
I didn't know Stewart was American, but that doesn't change the point I made at all. Americans and Canadians both hated the Soviet Union for whatever reason the propaganda at the time told them to hate them for.

The Canada/World Cup was obviously a North American-biased tournament. Not sure how you could refute that.

I'd love to see your thread on "cheating" by the IIHF though, give it a shot. I'm sure it will make us North American fans continue to look fantastic on an obviously biased HFBoards.

EbencoyE is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 08:42 AM
  #25
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
I didn't know Stewart was American, but that doesn't change the point I made at all. Americans and Canadians both hated the Soviet Union for whatever reason the propaganda at the time told them to hate them for.

The Canada/World Cup was obviously a North American-biased tournament. Not sure how you could refute that.

I'd love to see your thread on "cheating" by the IIHF though, give it a shot. I'm sure it will make us North American fans continue to look fantastic on an obviously biased HFBoards.
so much so I was inspired to get a Masters Degree in Russian Studies, live and study in Russia for 2 years, become fluent in Russian and make Russia my career where currently I live in Moscow for much of the year. 6-8 months of the year anyway. But I only caught the tail end of the so called "evil empire". Don't really remember the heights of the cold war.... too young.

Mr Writer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.