HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sat, Feb 16, 2013 | Senators at Maple Leafs | 7:00pm EST | CBC | Cripple Fight! Ed.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:35 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
The score did reflect the game. You don't win games solely on effort. At some point, someone has to score. No one can score.

Silverberg isn't good enough for the NHL for the role he should be playing.

Gonchar has zero urgency offensively.

Powerplay is terrible.

Without Karlsson and Spezza, this team is awful and will lose a lot of games.
You sound like you are surprised... I am not, at all.

A rebuilding team full of rookies and inexperienced players are missing their game changers (Spezza, Karlsson) and even more (Cowen, Michalek, Regin, Latendresse).

Our best other players are ~40 years old (Alfie and Gonchar) and our future talent (Da Costa, Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Wiercioch) are still very green for the NHL. That leaves us with Turris, Methot and a few good role players.

They were adjusting to life without Spezza, now they have to adjust to life without Karlsson too (and others as well). They need a bit of time. It's not like it's easy to go without your best 3 offensive players

Did I say anything shocking or that feels like a brand new discovery? All this is very easy to see IMO, no brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD19 View Post
Jesus season's going to be long...
Not really... We already played 15 games, only 33 left and schedule is condensed.

Of course, I'd rather have the team competing but with the context, it's likely impossible. That's why I'm happy to watch the rookies play and see how they do

I take it as an AUDITION SEASON

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFactor View Post
So many good rush through the middle of the ice.. Then enter the zone and we just have no idea what to do.. It's hard to watch.. They are trying but have no finishing.. Plus a tons of missed shots
Actually, they've done a lot of right things, except puting the puck in the net. They are making plays, they need to work on finishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv91 View Post
Maybe this is what we need for Murray to realize our lack of depth...and we might get a trade out of it or a free agent signing
Some people need to come to reason. There's nothing that could be done to replace Cowen, Spezza, Karlsson and Michalek without trading some important future assets (prospects/picks)

We are in year #2 of the 3-year rebuild plan. Yes, that's where we are + injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
This team will not win another game. The vets look like they've already quit. I'd ship Gonchar out at the deadline.

Maybe? Who knows? But looks like a crazy overeaction for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
Man, sure hope this doesn't somehow hurt him in the long run.
If adversity "hurts him", he won't be a real #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes88 View Post
If we were confident in Lehner and wanted him here now, we'd have kept him here now. As far as I'm concerned, simple as that. Now, we've managed to leave both Andy and Lehner out to dry. Not saying we could avoid the injuries, but it's a very, very bad spot to be in.
Where does this non-sense come from? You really don't understand how the NHL works (contracts)

What would be the point to have Lehner in the NHL? So he could play 7-8 games in total?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes88 View Post
Hey buddy, same team. Calm down.

I'm not saying I want Lehner here now. I'm saying that no matter where we put him, his confidence is going to get shelled. Hence, very, very bad spot to be in.
They are not teenagers, they can go through adversity. Break or make

Last edited by Xspyrit: 02-17-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:36 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubbe View Post
Love how Paul stares down a reporter in the postgame vid, that's two stare downs this year alone!

We should lock this guy up for the next 10 years or something like that. Seriously.
What question did the reporter ask to get a stare-down from Maclean?

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:41 AM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
What question did the reporter ask to get a stare-down from Maclean?
He asked how the loss of Spezza and Karlsson would effect the team? Brilliant!

The Turret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:42 AM
OttawaSenators11

vCash: 50
I wish we could just fast forward to next season

OttawaSenators11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:50 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
He asked
how the loss of Spezza and Karlsson would effect the team
? Brilliant!

Who asks a question like that?!?
I'd have slapped him.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:13 AM
Steeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
Don't know if this was posted already but I chuckled.
Yes, very classy. Take away from this kid's first NHL shutout by being a condescending sarcastic nerd.

Hilarious.

Steeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:16 AM
Xspyrit

I'm not saying the word "tank" (because IMO it doesn't exist except for cheaters) but I'm not even mad if we lose and I'm all for getting a good pick this year.

AUDITION year + everyone heals from injuries + top pick = come back stronger next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by V for Voodoo View Post
Thank you.. Im sick and tired of people thinking 30 perimeter shots that journey men goalies are saving routinely somehow means we playeed well - or even outplayed the opposition. At some point, you realize the offense is a paper tiger at best. Understandable given the injuries, but please stop saying we played well. We created nothing, the power play is a joke, the passing is atrocious and there is rarely someone in front of the net which is really the only way a team with this talent is going to score. End rant..
It seems many people have some troubles just watching a hockey game. Stop looking at your damn beer and open your eyes.

Here's the replays :

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...,2,205&lang=en

There's more in the saves section too

I'm not saying this was a game full of scoring chances but Sens had more chances than the Leafs. Sens know what situation they are this season (since the start they were already missing Cowen) and have played a more conservative style, they're not taking as much offensive chances as they were last season, not even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by V for Voodoo View Post
Im not questioning the effort, they are trying. That being said, they are not doing what it takes to score goals. How many second chances did we have in this game? I cant even remember one. Even backup goalies will make the first save most of the time. This team needs to go into the dirty areas and pound. With so many grinders on this team, frig more than three quarters the team, i cant believe this is a problem.
lol it's not because you don't remember that it didn't happen. If you steal something at a store and make your best to "forget it", that doesn't it never happened.

Replays/highlights can help you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Exactly. If I was Murray I'd ship this guy. Most overrated defender on this team.

I remember in the lock-out I was arguing that Phillips is a fringe number 6 and people bashing me saying he is a top 4.
Phillips is a #5 at this point of his career but is forced to play as #3 this year due to injuries... That's why people are now biased against him. It seems most people can't accept that players rise, mature and decline (cycle of life)

For me, after all that Phillips has done for this franchise, he will always get the benefit of the doubt, just like Alfie and Neil

Seeing that he gets so little respect and appreciation makes me sad.

Phillips-Lundin would be a good 3rd pair if we had the luxury to play them in the right spot

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:01 AM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

Okay just finished watching the game..

None of the callups looked lost and I actually liked Gryba and DD's game. Didn't notice Grant much but both him and DD brought some size to the bottom 6. I'd say keep Greening as a healthy scratch for next game aswell or switch him in for Daugavins.

One thing that is important in my opinion now when we're missing our big guns is to not make any stupid move for someone like O'Reilly and give DaCosta and Turris more icetime maybe even Grant and see what he can bring.
And if we're about to make a move I hope it's for a winger that has some nose for the net.

I really liked DaCosta's game.. excellent vision! We could easily have three scoring lines next year if we could find some decent wingers with Spezza-Turris-DaCosta down the middle. Milan we all know can find the puck infront of the net and I think it's just a matter of time with Silfverberg before he starts scoring consistently. If one or two of Stone, Noesen or Prince make the lineup next year we're looking really good for the future. If they can score that is..

Back to the game..
I really thought we would have some trouble with the Laughs but imo we looked better overall as the game went along, not to discredit them of their win but two goals of lucky bounces and they didnt have much else going other than the Van Riemsdyk chance infront of the net.

I see the game starts at 1 pm on monday against the Devils, some sort of holiday in NA?

The Turret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:09 AM
HOCKEYGOON

Quote:
I see the game starts at 1 pm on monday against the Devils, some sort of holiday in NA?
Family Day

HOCKEYGOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:51 AM
Like Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaSenators11 View Post
I wish we could just fast forward to next season
What makes you think it will be better?

Like Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:01 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOCKEYGOON View Post
Family Day
Presidents Day.

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:07 AM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like Wall View Post
What makes you think it will be better?
Current team
+ Karlsson
+ Spezza
+ Michalek
+ Further developed young players
+ Potential free agent signing
- Gonchar
= Profit

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:48 AM
trobby

I liked the effort, but the rest of the season is going to be a tough grind.

Hope we don't turn on each other.

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:01 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
Current team
+ Karlsson
+ Spezza
+ Michalek
- Gonchar
= Profit
+Cowen

02-17-2013, 06:02 AM
krapsik

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
Current team
+ Karlsson
+ Spezza
+ Michalek
- Gonchar
= Profit
We have same team in a start of this season. We dont dominate. Yes we win games against not very good teams. Much because of Andersson. Next season we must earn points agains West teams. And i am sure , Spezza dont stay healthy all next season. I dont see any perfect free agent signing in a summer, that help team in a long run. So BM must pull trigger now, and make this team better.

krapsik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
Yes, very classy. Take away from this kid's first NHL shutout by being a condescending sarcastic nerd.

Hilarious.
Not a fan of one of your own brethren?

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:37 AM
Quo
I, too, don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell on Heels View Post
Don't worry, there's support groups for that.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:47 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
I thought Gryba looked good on D last night. Couple solid hits, but I also noticed him go for a hit that put him way out of position defensively.

Decent showing from the call-ups.

SixthSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:56 AM
CarknerCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by krapsik View Post
We have same team in a start of this season. We dont dominate. Yes we win games against not very good teams. Much because of Andersson. Next season we must earn points agains West teams. And i am sure , Spezza dont stay healthy all next season. I dont see any perfect free agent signing in a summer, that help team in a long run. So BM must pull trigger now, and make this team better.
THIS

Some here think all our prospects will be superstars dont ever mention Murray must make a deal lol...Silf hasnt been impressive but to some here hes a top 6...Is the potential there? of course but who knows..

Losing doesnt help the development of young players..Murray has to act NOW..Some here willput words in my mouth and say we dont need a quick fix or trade youth for this year i agree...But guys like ROR and PERRY and WEISS can be a fixture for many years..I understand Perry and Wiess are UFA wouldnt make a deal unless they are signed...

If you dont make a bold move trading a couple of prospects then what?

Gonchar is gone Philly and Alfie are aging.

Will silf be a top 6 next year?

Whats Zibby's offensive potential?

alot of question marks.

But wait its the second year of a rebuild...fack i hate when people say that..

Zibby
Lehner
Bishop
Noesen
Silf
Ceci
1st
puemple
Wier
Gryba

and others we have a great prospect pool...But wont be room for all we need to deal a couple for a proven player like ROR for NEXT YEAR...

CarknerCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post

Hilarious.
Do you know who @Downgoesbrown is?

Remarks like this are his claim to fame

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:55 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post

Who asks a question like that?!?
I'd have slapped him.
Some lazy reporter looking to get his sound bite so he can put his story together and go home.

There are also some that just don't know anything about hockey. I knew a guy that worked for a station in town that was sent to cover a Sens game years ago, and interviewed a few players after the game.

One in particular he talked to for quite a while, then like a true pro, asked him what his name was to make sure he spelled it correctly.

The answer: Wade Redden.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Who?

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:09 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
How do you spell that?

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:11 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Some lazy reporter looking to get his sound bite so he can put his story together and go home.

There are also some that just don't know anything about hockey. I knew a guy that worked for a station in town that was sent to cover a Sens game years ago, and interviewed a few players after the game.

One in particular he talked to for quite a while, then like a true pro, asked him what his name was to make sure he spelled it correctly.

The answer: Wade Redden.
Well, at least he spelled it right.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Karlsson95
Rookie User

New to the HF boards, huge sens fan. Just wondering why we would play Benoit over Wiercioch? In my opinion Benoit will either be gone next year or down in Binghamton and Wiercioch will be competing for a spot up here.

Karlsson95 is offline   Reply With Quote