HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is Perezhogin ready for 2nd line Duty?

Old
07-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Roxor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roxor
Is Perezhogin ready for 2nd line Duty?

Seriously, i love perezhogin. Looking at our depth chart, he's the obvious 2nd line LW and should play with Ribeiro and Ryder, but is he ready for that task? We already know Ryder needs good linemates to produce, since he doesnt move that much.

The positive thing is that Perezhogin moves fast and skates well, and might be a nice fit with Ribeiro, since he aint so fast.

Roxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 08:07 PM
tinyzombies

He would have been ready last year if Julien didn't mess with him. I say YES.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 08:08 PM
kernkraft

I love that guy too, reminds me so much of Afinogenov. I thought that Perez was falling around too much during the season but during the last few games of the playoffs, he was really starting to be an offensive threat.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Form and Substance

I hope so, because it's his to lose at the moment.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Talent Analyst

Yes ... A skilled foward who playing very hard like him can be on the 2e line everytime

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 309
He was pretty good with Koivu and Kovalev , it think he got all the tools to do it. But staying with Plekanec won't hurt him that much , it's not the regular boring defensive 3rd line we had in the past.

btw what happened to your dog raketheleaves?

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 08:18 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej View Post
He was pretty good with Koivu and Kovalev , it think he got all the tools to do it. But staying with Plekanec won't hurt him that much , it's not the regular boring defensive 3rd line we had in the past.

btw what happened to your dog raketheleaves?
It's a kinder gentler me. I read a book on marketing...

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 08:19 PM
hockey_nut

i'd love to see him given the opportunity to be on one of the top 2 lines... it's his time and if we wait any longer, we'll destroy the kid... until he leaves and does great somewhere else

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

He might be ready, but he also might start on the third line with Plekanec. It all depend on Kostitsyn, Grabovski and Latendresse, and linemates chemistry...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 08:56 PM
SOLR

I think Kost and Kovalev will match up better. Getting scoring from the 3rd line on a quite regular basic from Pleckanec and Perezhogin would be nice. That(3rd line), with an improved 2nd line based on: Kost-Ribeiro-Kovalev, would improves the number of treats on our team. We will soon need to distribute Tylenol to the other team coach before the games.(3 lines with valid scoring abilities) All this with an ultra gritty, and again, fast! 4th line. Perezhogin and Pleckanec chemistry is well established, I dont see a reason to stop developping it at this point.

I think the long term plan for the habs is rather simple, A.Kostitsyn is probably the Kovalev successor and Perezhogin would be promoted around the same time Kovalev is being let go. Before that time I think Perezhogin could be a luxurious 3rd liner. An all Quebecers 4th line is already on the Horizon with Begin centering Lapierre and Ferland.(Talk about grit baby!, next year!) In the long term I see Ryder getting pushed out of the first line and used on the 3rd and on the power play. Latendresse would be the guy pushing him down. Again more depth.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 09:40 PM
phil

just give him some ice time and see what he can do... hes amazing

phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:12 PM
jpchabby

sure he can go on the 2nd line... if he has ice-time, he's gonna get better all the time and learn, and 2nd line is something absolutely possible for him.

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
He might be ready, but he also might start on the third line with Plekanec. It all depend on Kostitsyn, Grabovski and Latendresse, and linemates chemistry...
It's going to be an exciting training camp. There will be lots of competition for a couple of prime spots.

I still think Latendresse is a longshot. Unless some more spots open up, he'll have to beat out all but two of Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Grabovsky, Lapierre, Chipchura, Ferland. Assuming Perezhogin and Kostitsyn are heavy favourites, that leaves a big battle between 5 prospects.

I can't remember the last time the Habs had this much depth.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:54 PM
speed11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej View Post
He was pretty good with Koivu and Kovalev
you're kidding right? anytime i say perez on the first line, he looked so out of place, i'd leave him on the 3rd line and move on from there.

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:56 PM
Slick Nick

First line duty I say... assuming Kovy and Koivu are back together. Loved what I've seen in the first 10 games of the season from this line, never really understood why Zhogy got demoted. At the time the reason was defensive awerness... Zednik, Ryder?? humm...

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I say he's ready for sure.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 06:50 AM
Marksman

I believe he is ready. He almost made it early last season, filling in for fallen Zednik. Player very well with Koivu and Kovalev, until he had one or two bad games and Julien sent him down to 4th line and not giving him many chances after that.

My guess is he beats Kostitsyn for the spot on 2nd line this year - and plays with Ribeiro+Kovalev.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Habruti!

My preference would be to keep him with Plekanek, he showed some good things in the playoff with plekanek and I would hope that can continue to build chimistry together. I would not mind a guy like Anson Carter to complement them but its not necessary either. Ryder would be a good fit for these two, this would allow to play Kosts with Koivu which I think would be a good thing.

Perezhogin is a keeper and I think he will have a solid season this year.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 07:09 AM
BigTimer*

Hes barely shown the consistency and awareness to hold down a 3rd line spot and people are thinking 2nd line duty? Hah.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 07:15 AM
Qui Gon Dave

So is it common consensus that Higgins is keeping a place on the top 2 lines then? Cos the way i see it is that if he does, then that potentially opens up only one spot on the wing in the top 6 (pending what happens with Zednik). If we move Higgins to the third line, we open up 2 potential spots on the wing (perezhogin + kostitsyn?). Higgins will still get good minutes, he already has good chemistry with Plekanec, he will be very good when used in a 'shutdown' role and he will still be able to provide some important offense.

I suppose it depends what everyone perceives what Chris' role with the team will/can be. I know he is a very capable scorer, but im just wondering if it wouldn't be beneficial to put him on the third and let maybe both Pez and Kost have time on scoring lines. That is where those two are best suited and where we hope they will be long term, Higgins can fulfil a multitude of positions and roles. Would anyone else sacrifice the proven chemistry of the Higgins-Koivu-Ryder line for a chance to give our young potential scoring stars more of a chance?

I know this isn't taking into consideration training camp, current player development, etc. But for the sake of discussing options, would anyone else prefer to bring both Pez and Kost onto scoring lines and play Higgins on a good third line, although less offensively capable?

edit - as for the original question, yes, I think Pez is ready for a role in the top 6.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 07:47 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
So is it common consensus that Higgins is keeping a place on the top 2 lines then? Cos the way i see it is that if he does, then that potentially opens up only one spot on the wing in the top 6 (pending what happens with Zednik). If we move Higgins to the third line, we open up 2 potential spots on the wing (perezhogin + kostitsyn?). Higgins will still get good minutes, he already has good chemistry with Plekanec, he will be very good when used in a 'shutdown' role and he will still be able to provide some important offense.

I suppose it depends what everyone perceives what Chris' role with the team will/can be. I know he is a very capable scorer, but im just wondering if it wouldn't be beneficial to put him on the third and let maybe both Pez and Kost have time on scoring lines. That is where those two are best suited and where we hope they will be long term, Higgins can fulfil a multitude of positions and roles. Would anyone else sacrifice the proven chemistry of the Higgins-Koivu-Ryder line for a chance to give our young potential scoring stars more of a chance?

I know this isn't taking into consideration training camp, current player development, etc. But for the sake of discussing options, would anyone else prefer to bring both Pez and Kost onto scoring lines and play Higgins on a good third line, although less offensively capable?

edit - as for the original question, yes, I think Pez is ready for a role in the top 6.
I think its really simple, we need to play Perezhogin on the 3rd line until he starts winning a lot more 1v1 and start scoring on that line. That will be the signal hes ready. Right now him and pleckanec are playing really good D and getting some nice chances, they just need to finish and score!

Latendresse will be a big temptation at camp for the habs even at 19 because of the special mix of abilities he brings.(grit+talent combined) I see him benefiting from an extra spot more than anyone on the team.

Old
07-11-2006, 07:50 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut View Post
i'd love to see him given the opportunity to be on one of the top 2 lines... it's his time and if we wait any longer, we'll destroy the kid... until he leaves and does great somewhere else
i'll echo that. We gotta build on the kids and give em ice time, unlike how we did with so many of our prospects we gave up on. (Leclair, Conroy, to name a few)

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
I think its really simple, we need to play Perezhogin on the 3rd line until he starts winning a lot more 1v1 and start scoring on that line. That will be the signal hes ready. Right now him and pleckanec are playing really good D and getting some nice chances, they just need to finish and score!

Latendresse will be a big temptation at camp for the habs even at 19 because of the special mix of abilities he brings.(grit+talent combined) I see him benefiting from an extra spot more than anyone on the team.
With regards to Latendresse first, I think he may well tempt the Habs to keep him around but the main reason I don't see it happening is that they don't rush their prospects. He is 19. We already have a logjam for wingers on both the top 6 and bottom 6. Unless he is absolutely dominant during pre-season and camp, I can't see him in Montreal on opening night of the season. Regardless of the temptation.

As for Pez, well, i think the new season will be like a new start for him. He started well last year then things started going wrong for him. I think the start of this season will see him get off to a flier again. Wasn't he going at PPG pace through the first 10 games or so? I wouldn't be suprised to see him have a similar start this year, assuming he plays on a scoring line. Not so sure he could do so on the third line though.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 08:11 AM
Pascal

Perezhogin is a game-breaker. He needs to play on the top 2 lines to develop imo. We don't want to burn this one, I think he could be a 30-35 goal scorer in the very near future. He reminds me of Samsonov, a healthy one.

It's easy to be excited when you look at him and Higgins being with the habs for the next 10 yrs. Kots will be a gem as well.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 08:21 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
With regards to Latendresse first, I think he may well tempt the Habs to keep him around but the main reason I don't see it happening is that they don't rush their prospects. He is 19. We already have a logjam for wingers on both the top 6 and bottom 6. Unless he is absolutely dominant during pre-season and camp, I can't see him in Montreal on opening night of the season. Regardless of the temptation.

As for Pez, well, i think the new season will be like a new start for him. He started well last year then things started going wrong for him. I think the start of this season will see him get off to a flier again. Wasn't he going at PPG pace through the first 10 games or so? I wouldn't be suprised to see him have a similar start this year, assuming he plays on a scoring line. Not so sure he could do so on the third line though.
The thing is, Latendresse got to be dominant on his physical play, something that is pretty natural for him. At this point his offensive production is not really the issue imo. He just needs to give space to his linemate by being mean and hard hitting.

Just seeing what kind of special treatment he gets from the team, I think theres something cooking.(World championship pre training camp, personnal trainer etc.)

I agree they rarely rushed prospects. But theres 1 exception. Mike Ribeiro got a tryout at 19. French connection are getting more tryouts sooner, maybe thats it? I just think that in the case of lats, junior is not a good place for him to get better.(Hes the kind of player you would want to play in the AHL before 20!) Hes already dominant as much as he wants, problem is a lack of motivation at doing so, when he knows he could be physically ready for at least for the AHL.