HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Perezhogin ready for 2nd line Duty?

Old
07-11-2006, 08:23 AM
SOLR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Perezhogin is a game-breaker. He needs to play on the top 2 lines to develop imo. We don't want to burn this one, I think he could be a 30-35 goal scorer in the very near future. He reminds me of Samsonov, a healthy one.

It's easy to be excited when you look at him and Higgins being with the habs for the next 10 yrs. Kots will be a gem as well.
Montreal 3rd line is actually getting more ice time or the same ammount than the 2nd, so its good for him to play a lot. Anyway I think its works much more like 1-2a-2b-4 in Montreal.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 08:26 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Perezhogin is a game-breaker. He needs to play on the top 2 lines to develop imo. We don't want to burn this one, I think he could be a 30-35 goal scorer in the very near future. He reminds me of Samsonov, a healthy one.

It's easy to be excited when you look at him and Higgins being with the habs for the next 10 yrs. Kots will be a gem as well.

But I do not think there will be such a thing as a second line next year.. Perhaps what I would try is the following...
Higgins, Koivu, Ryder
Perez, Plekanek, Kovalev

or as mentioned if Latendress shows up and perform like he did last year then go with three offensive line..
Perez, Plekanek, Ryder
Latendresse, Ribs, Kovalev
Higgins, Koivu, Kostsitsyn

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Pascal

Good point, the 3rd line has been getting good playing time. But he should play with our best offensive players.

I wouldn't put too much hope on Latendresse for now, he has had an iffy season. I think he is 2-3 years away still.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
you're kidding right? anytime i say perez on the first line, he looked so out of place, i'd leave him on the 3rd line and move on from there.
YOU'RE kidding right? remember our first 15 games last year.. we were on top of the league standings and at that time our first line was Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev, Kovalev was saying on tv how Perezhogin and him had chemistry and how talented he was, we were stuff like Jagr saying that Perezhogin was the fastest player he ever played with. It must be the 15th time i say it, Kovalev and Perezhogin go so well together, Kovy's expeertise is to create space for his linemates, that guy can take on 3 players at the same time and still keep the puck, Perezhogin is lightning fast and know's how to get himself open, the only problem was that most of the time Perez would either shoot the puck over the net, hit the post or completely miss the puck, he's still in learning stage, putting on the 4th line with Murray and Bégin won't do him any good, he has to play on a top 2 line

Pax Macioretty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 10:17 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Good point, the 3rd line has been getting good playing time. But he should play with our best offensive players.

I wouldn't put too much hope on Latendresse for now, he has had an iffy season. I think he is 2-3 years away still.
I disagree with this for the following reasons:

1) He will be barely stronger in 2-3 years.(Thats something really rare in a prospect, but in Lats case thats fair to say) He was nearly NHL-Strenght at 18 years old, add one year and he can be that power forward already. Its not like he needs to beef up, in his case hes already controlling downward his weight, adding strenght, like a 22-23 years old.
2) His personnality is one that strive under pressure, that junior hockey cannot offer him anymore.
3) He would grow more with the group of trainer in Montreal-Hamilton than in the Juniors.

Old
07-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Pascal

You could be right, but one of the reasons I said "2-3 years away" is that:

1- he's young and still immature, you don't wanna burn him

2- the more he develops in the minor leagues the better it will be for him in the future since: A. Power forwards take a long time to develop and can easily be burned if rushed too early and B. Can Montreal fans stomach 20-30 pts a season from him longer than they did with Leclair until he exploded?

To me he got a great pre-season last year and that was it. Since he's from Quebec people made him into something that he is not yet. It's a dangerous thing with a young guy like him, esp. a power forward. I am sure he can play in the NHL but i think he needs more maturing and experience in the AHL first. He needs to learn to play with men and what it is to be a professional, both personally and on the ice.

I really can't remember any power forward who has had a big impact in his first few seasons.. Gary Roberts maybe? I see people like Bertuzzi, Jokinen, Cole, etc.. they all take 4-5-6 years to really reach their potential. This guy is only 18-19..gotta be careful

Old
07-11-2006, 10:22 AM
BORAT

Perezhogin should be patrolling the first line with Kovalev and Koivu, Get a centerman for Higgins and Ryder

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 10:22 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel the great! View Post
YOU'RE kidding right? remember our first 15 games last year.. we were on top of the league standings and at that time our first line was Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev, Kovalev was saying on tv how Perezhogin and him had chemistry and how talented he was, we were stuff like Jagr saying that Perezhogin was the fastest player he ever played with. It must be the 15th time i say it, Kovalev and Perezhogin go so well together, Kovy's expeertise is to create space for his linemates, that guy can take on 3 players at the same time and still keep the puck, Perezhogin is lightning fast and know's how to get himself open, the only problem was that most of the time Perez would either shoot the puck over the net, hit the post or completely miss the puck, he's still in learning stage, putting on the 4th line with Murray and Bégin won't do him any good, he has to play on a top 2 line
Perez was good on that first line for 5-6 games top, after yes he wasnt really smooth on that line. Panicky a bit and def not in his spot at that time.(Zednik even won back the spot in little time)

About Kovalev, he said he had good chemistry with everyone he played with, hes just very good with the medias. I think its true they have some chemistry, but not like higgins-koivu. I think Kostitsyn will have more chemistry with Kovalev, since they will both open the ice for each other and Kost is more talented than Perezhogin.

Old
07-11-2006, 10:39 AM
SOLR

Quote:
You could be right, but one of the reasons I said "2-3 years away" is that:

1- he's young and still immature, you don't wanna burn him

2- the more he develops in the minor leagues the better it will be for him in the future since: A. Power forwards take a long time to develop and can easily be burned if rushed too early and B. Can Montreal fans stomach 20-30 pts a season from him longer than they did with Leclair until he exploded?

To me he got a great pre-season last year and that was it. Since he's from Quebec people made him into something that he is not yet. It's a dangerous thing with a young guy like him, esp. a power forward. I am sure he can play in the NHL but i think he needs more maturing and experience in the AHL first. He needs to learn to play with men and what it is to be a professional, both personally and on the ice.

I really can't remember any power forward who has had a big impact in his first few seasons.. Gary Roberts maybe? I see people like Bertuzzi, Jokinen, Cole, etc.. they all take 4-5-6 years to really reach their potential. This guy is only 18-19..gotta be careful
1- Of course he will be more mature in 2-3 years, but would he more mature in 2-3 years having played in the NHL? I see so much of Simon Gagné/Bergeron in Lats, hes premature on many things.

2- Actually Power forwards developt far better in the NHL(probably the only kind of player), than in any minor league, because their game is about hitting and being physical. Playing in the NHL show them just how much they need of that physical elements at the highest level and then they can focus on other parts of their game. Very talented and not physical prospect(A.Kostitsyn for example) need to progressively become tougher and stronger(CHL-->AHL-->NHL], but in the case of a power forward thats what he welcomes so its not something thats missing in the first place. You dont get better at skating more in the minor leagues. Dont get me wrong, they are long to developt after they make the NHL jump, but the more time you waste before you make them play in the NHL it wont change that learning curve much, so you better bring them earlier.

Beside my point is that Lats have 0 competition with the habs, 0 nada. Hes the only one with that set of abilities. That may give him a spot sooner than expected.

Old
07-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Pascal

Some good points, but I never believed in rushing prospects in. I guess you're right about the skillset, he might get jumped up faster than usual because of it.. I hope he turns out good.

Old
07-11-2006, 10:58 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Some good points, but I never believed in rushing prospects in. I guess you're right about the skillset, he might get jumped up faster than usual because of it.. I hope he turns out good.
Cant agree with you more about that, but in my point of view it can be done slowly, in the NHL. Give a teaching mission to Begin and put Lats with him on the road, any better settings possible for him?

Old
07-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Paxton Fettel

Perezhogin should have played with Kovalev and Koivu all season long.

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 11:25 AM
KaptainKourage*

I dont think we need to break up Higgins - Koivu duo, they do well togheter. Maybe just add size to the line (Shanahan ), so probably Kovalev.

Higgins - Koivu - Kovalev

Ribeiro is our 2nd best playmaker so we need to use him with our best scorer, Ryder, and an offensive flash like Perezhogin.

Perezhogin - Ribeiro - Ryder

Now we need to find a good winger to play with Plek on the 3rd line and this guy is NOT named Zednik. I really think Leclerc could help us a lot.

Leclerc - Plekanec - Kostitsyn

And an energy line :
Downey / Lapierre - Bégin - Murray

Sounds good to me

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 11:40 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov#79 View Post
I dont think we need to break up Higgins - Koivu duo, they do well togheter. Maybe just add size to the line (Shanahan ), so probably Kovalev.

Higgins - Koivu - Kovalev

Ribeiro is our 2nd best playmaker so we need to use him with our best scorer, Ryder, and an offensive flash like Perezhogin.

Perezhogin - Ribeiro - Ryder

Now we need to find a good winger to play with Plek on the 3rd line and this guy is NOT named Zednik. I really think Leclerc could help us a lot.

Leclerc - Plekanec - Kostitsyn

And an energy line :
Downey / Lapierre - Bégin - Murray

Sounds good to me
Higgins-Koivu-Ryder : I dont know how you can put Ryder with Ribeiro, those 2 are like fire and ice. Ryder needs a center with speed thats why.

Kost-Ribeiro-Kovalev: Dont want to brake the the plecky-perezhogin duo and Kost is more naturally gifted than Perez.

? - Pleckanec - Perezhogin

Murray-Bonk-Begin

The only way I see perez on the 2 first line is an injury or a line that goes caput.

Old
07-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
He might be ready, but he also might start on the third line with Plekanec. It all depend on Kostitsyn, Grabovski and Latendresse, and linemates chemistry...
Am I the only one who thinks that Grabovski and Lats are at least a year from the big club?

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 12:45 PM
globalkiller*

this is a turning point for the habs this year,time for the young guns to take a seat at the head of the table,as we can see no ufa's want to come here Bob has a plan to use the speed that this team has and we have alot of it.I think that if Guy let's this team play like there ball's are on fire it well be a very good year for the HABS or let's take a stab at a rfa who would you take?

globalkiller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 12:48 PM
pjk27

Perezhogin may have a steep learning curve and may need more time than other first year players to adjust to a new league. When he first joined the Russian Elite league he apparently disappointed, but in the second year he started to impress. After joining the Bull Dogs he had a pretty terrible start but really finished the year strongly. I think it will be fun watching this guy this year.

pjk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:45 PM
zednik20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtalenkov View Post
Seriously, i love perezhogin. Looking at our depth chart, he's the obvious 2nd line LW and should play with Ribeiro and Ryder, but is he ready for that task? We already know Ryder needs good linemates to produce, since he doesnt move that much.

The positive thing is that Perezhogin moves fast and skates well, and might be a nice fit with Ribeiro, since he aint so fast.
he was ready last year...

zednik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that Grabovski and Lats are at least a year from the big club?
Not at all, but it would be nice to see Grabovski become our Alfredsson.

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:15 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
No your not. Montreal is well known for not rushing prospects. As much as I would love to see both players on the team, the chances are unlikely. Both will probably be in Hamilton for the year, but might see limited time with the big club throughout the year.

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:25 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
No your not. Montreal is well known for not rushing prospects. As much as I would love to see both players on the team, the chances are unlikely. Both will probably be in Hamilton for the year, but might see limited time with the big club throughout the year.
Lats cant play in Hamilton(underage) and I think thats a factor in keeping him with the big boys. But yes I wouldnt be too surprised with him going back in the Q. But there is an aura of mystery around the special treatments he receives.

Old
07-11-2006, 02:54 PM
oli500

It depends who his center is. If its rebeiro no, because ribs cant take a player like that under his wing and make him produce. We tride that last year and every time ribs was paired up with a youngster that youngster would strugle to put up points.

If its plekanec than yes, those two had great chemestry during the playoffs.

Ribs is better suited to play wih players such as zednik or kovalev

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:57 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
It depends who his center is. If its rebeiro no, because ribs cant take a player like that under his wing and make him produce. We tride that last year and every time ribs was paired up with a youngster that youngster would strugle to put up points.

If its plekanec than yes, those two had great chemestry during the playoffs.

Ribs is better suited to play wih players such as zednik or kovalev
I think the keyword here is(naturally) creative players. I dont see Perezhogin as a creative player right off the bat. I think hes shy off the ice and on the ice atm.

Thats why I see kostitsyn there instead of Perezhogin. And if Grabovski surprises and make Ribeiro irrelevant, well again Kostitsyn still got the advantage because of his experience playing with Grabo.

I do see a Kost-Grabo-Perez 2nd line when Kovalev will be gone.

Old
07-11-2006, 03:51 PM
hab

I think he could play on the 1st line one day, problem is that he reminds me of a

breakthrough kind of player, and how many years it takes to put it all together...

who knows

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Roxor

Send a message via MSN to Roxor
the thing i love about perezhogin and that might influence Carbo, is his work ethic on the ice. Of course he had his share of trouble during practice last season, but i think his overall work ethic during games is great.

Roxor is offline   Reply With Quote