HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

David Desharnais Discussion (Slow Start & Contact Talk)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-17-2013, 08:16 AM
  #626
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post

Carbo was just a +34 in his last 10 seasons. As soon as he stopped scoring, his +/- went far down and he was used in a pure defensive role. You're usually not going to have a great +/- when your line doesn't score much.

+/- is a decent career stat and somewhat useful comparing players on the same team (if there's a major difference), but overall, it's a weak stat. You'd pretty much have to watch each individual play to see who was at fault.
Carbonneau was always used as a shutdown center when in a healthy lineup. He was never a permanent fixture on a scoring line in Montreal.

Estimated_Prophet is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 09:12 AM
  #627
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Carbonneau was always used as a shutdown center when in a healthy lineup. He was never a permanent fixture on a scoring line in Montreal.
Are you sure? I was talking my Dad about it (I started watching in 92-93) and he said in the 80's he was a used in PP situations and played with some of the best players on the Habs.

Scoring statistics seem to agree with that (only one season I believe he was outside of the Top-4 after his rookie season), but I'm not going to pretend to know since I didn't watch back then.

One Man Rock Band is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 10:22 AM
  #628
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I'm not saying Gallagher wasn't playing the best on the line (he got a couple great passes from DD too though), but DD was flying out there. I was also just proving that points don't prove everything, especially with a team struggling to score. Bourque has been our best overall player and he's just started getting some points. DD's game has been on a upturn for the past week or more now. He's been better than Pacioretty and Cole during those weeks.

DD doesn't need big wingers, he just needs carefree wingers. Wingers that will drive the net, so he can have more time with the puck. DD goes to the net a lot too, which helps for after dishes off the puck.

And the C is generally one of the last forwards into the zone since they usually tend to go lower in the defensive zone than the wingers.
Before last night....the most productive wingers on the team were:

1- Bourque : 8 pts
2- Pacioretty: 6 pts (in 9 games)
3- Gallagher : 6 pts (in 12 games)
4- Gionta : 6 pts (in 13 games)

Technically speaking, Gally was the 3 best wingers on the team, playing with Chucky.
So, my assumption that the best wingers was given AGAIN to DD was right.

And it start to pissed me off.

They've put Pacioretty-Chucky-Gally together but played them like 11 minutes a game. Then put DD in place of Chucky and give them 18 minutes.

Why Therrien is doing everything he can to help DD....and nobody else?

Eller played well, he put him back on the fourth line.

Galchenyuk played well...but didn't get more ice time, worst, we took his best wingers to replace him with the worst one on the team (Cole)....and give Gally to help DD.

For like 5-6 games....DD got major PP time, he is the one forward that is getting more PP time (even if the Plekanec's line was the bread and butter of our PP...DD got the majority of PP time in the last 5 to 7 games.....well, since our PP doesn't work). Last night, he got 4m08 of PP time, Plekanec only got 2m22.

DD has been playing really well in the last 2 games. I can see that.

But i've seen Eller playing really wel for 4-5 games and getting nothing more than the Fourth Line and hard ice-time (a little bit of PP time).

I've seen Galchenyuk playing really well and getting nothing more than what he first got, help scored the winning goal in OT against Florida....and got 10m25 of ice-time and Erik Cole for his good work.

Plekanec has been our best forward, best forward on the powerplay.....but he saw his PP time reduce (DD got more ice-time than Plekanec last night).

So we took the best wingers of Galchy to give him to DD
We took ice-time and PP time of Plek and Galchy to give it to DD
We didn't reward Eller's effort, so DD wouldn't drop to fourth line.

Soooooo, what did DD do to diserve all of this so far????

Yeah, he played well in the last 2 games.....cause we gave him everything the other players diserve, not him!!

Milhouse40 is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 10:35 AM
  #629
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH
 
DDs not undersized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangkok
Country: Thailand
Posts: 3,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Before last night....the most productive wingers on the team were:

1- Bourque : 8 pts
2- Pacioretty: 6 pts (in 9 games)
3- Gallagher : 6 pts (in 12 games)
4- Gionta : 6 pts (in 13 games)

Technically speaking, Gally was the 3 best wingers on the team, playing with Chucky.
So, my assumption that the best wingers was given AGAIN to DD was right.

And it start to pissed me off.

They've put Pacioretty-Chucky-Gally together but played them like 11 minutes a game. Then put DD in place of Chucky and give them 18 minutes.

Why Therrien is doing everything he can to help DD....and nobody else?

Eller played well, he put him back on the fourth line.

Galchenyuk played well...but didn't get more ice time, worst, we took his best wingers to replace him with the worst one on the team (Cole)....and give Gally to help DD.

For like 5-6 games....DD got major PP time, he is the one forward that is getting more PP time (even if the Plekanec's line was the bread and butter of our PP...DD got the majority of PP time in the last 5 to 7 games.....well, since our PP doesn't work). Last night, he got 4m08 of PP time, Plekanec only got 2m22.

DD has been playing really well in the last 2 games. I can see that.

But i've seen Eller playing really wel for 4-5 games and getting nothing more than the Fourth Line and hard ice-time (a little bit of PP time).

I've seen Galchenyuk playing really well and getting nothing more than what he first got, help scored the winning goal in OT against Florida....and got 10m25 of ice-time and Erik Cole for his good work.

Plekanec has been our best forward, best forward on the powerplay.....but he saw his PP time reduce (DD got more ice-time than Plekanec last night).

So we took the best wingers of Galchy to give him to DD
We took ice-time and PP time of Plek and Galchy to give it to DD
We didn't reward Eller's effort, so DD wouldn't drop to fourth line.

Soooooo, what did DD do to diserve all of this so far????

Yeah, he played well in the last 2 games.....cause we gave him everything the other players diserve, not him!!
Typical post of someone who's more concerned about a player he hates having success than the overall success of the team.

The only questions you should ask yourself are :

1- Is DD playing well? Yes.

2- Has the combination of Gallagher-DD-Pacioretty worked well? Yes. Might be the most explosive line we've seen this year.

3- Is the team winning? Yes. 3 in a row.

A normal fan would be happy to see this all. But hey, let's scrap this all just to satisfy your own anti-DD bias because according to you it's more important to put DD in a situation where he cannot produce than to focus on the team success...

DDs not undersized is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 10:41 AM
  #630
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Are you sure? I was talking my Dad about it (I started watching in 92-93) and he said in the 80's he was a used in PP situations and played with some of the best players on the Habs.

Scoring statistics seem to agree with that (only one season I believe he was outside of the Top-4 after his rookie season), but I'm not going to pretend to know since I didn't watch back then.
I watched him for his entire career and he spent almost his entire tenure here with Nilan, Gainey, McPhee, Keane, Brunet, Gilchrist and Corson for brief periods. He is probably best remembered as being the center between Nilan and Gainey and then later on having Mike Keane as a staple on his wing. There were periods when Bobby Smith got hurt and he saw some time with Richer and Corson but he was always a 2nd/3rd line center. With a healthy lineup he would very rarely get 1st pp unit ice time.

Stats don't tell the whole story as players like Stephane LeBeau were given offensive assignments ahead of him.

Carbo's main responsibility was to shut down the oppositions top line and kill penalties. Those were deep teams without much star power up front so the scoring was usually spread out very well. He had the talent to score well over a point per game but wasn't used in that capacity due to his absolute dominance in the defensive aspects of the game.

Estimated_Prophet is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 10:49 AM
  #631
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Typical post of someone who's more concerned about a player he hates having success than the overall success of the team.

The only questions you should ask yourself are :

1- Is DD playing well? Yes.

2- Has the combination of Gallagher-DD-Pacioretty worked well? Yes. Might be the most explosive line we've seen this year.

3- Is the team winning? Yes. 3 in a row.

A normal fan would be happy to see this all. But hey, let's scrap this all just to satisfy your own anti-DD bias because according to you it's more important to put DD in a situation where he cannot produce than to focus on the team success...
DD is playing well....so is the Habs.

But putting Cole with Galchenyuk is practically an insult to one our best players so far. He is responsable for our last win. And for his work, let's take out some of his ice-time, let's give him one of our worst player ????

Is that normal to you?

Even worst....forget about DD.

Gallagher was our best player last night. Still....Cole got more than 4 minutes in PP time and Gally only got 1m30

Is that normal to you?

We, as fan, are happy......but some players might not be as happy with this situation.
Cause they worked well so far and things has been taken from them and given to some players wwho didn't diserve it as much as they do!!

Milhouse40 is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 10:50 AM
  #632
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Before last night....the most productive wingers on the team were:

1- Bourque : 8 pts
2- Pacioretty: 6 pts (in 9 games)
3- Gallagher : 6 pts (in 12 games)
4- Gionta : 6 pts (in 13 games)

Technically speaking, Gally was the 3 best wingers on the team, playing with Chucky.
So, my assumption that the best wingers was given AGAIN to DD was right.

And it start to pissed me off.

They've put Pacioretty-Chucky-Gally together but played them like 11 minutes a game. Then put DD in place of Chucky and give them 18 minutes.

Why Therrien is doing everything he can to help DD....and nobody else?

Eller played well, he put him back on the fourth line.

Galchenyuk played well...but didn't get more ice time, worst, we took his best wingers to replace him with the worst one on the team (Cole)....and give Gally to help DD.

For like 5-6 games....DD got major PP time, he is the one forward that is getting more PP time (even if the Plekanec's line was the bread and butter of our PP...DD got the majority of PP time in the last 5 to 7 games.....well, since our PP doesn't work). Last night, he got 4m08 of PP time, Plekanec only got 2m22.

DD has been playing really well in the last 2 games. I can see that.

But i've seen Eller playing really wel for 4-5 games and getting nothing more than the Fourth Line and hard ice-time (a little bit of PP time).

I've seen Galchenyuk playing really well and getting nothing more than what he first got, help scored the winning goal in OT against Florida....and got 10m25 of ice-time and Erik Cole for his good work.

Plekanec has been our best forward, best forward on the powerplay.....but he saw his PP time reduce (DD got more ice-time than Plekanec last night).

So we took the best wingers of Galchy to give him to DD
We took ice-time and PP time of Plek and Galchy to give it to DD
We didn't reward Eller's effort, so DD wouldn't drop to fourth line.

Soooooo, what did DD do to diserve all of this so far????

Yeah, he played well in the last 2 games.....cause we gave him everything the other players diserve, not him!!
Business as usual -- you care more about the name in the back than about the logo on the crest.

As for what DD deserved do get that? -- best center in the last three games (with yesterday). In which we went undefeated.

MXD is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 10:56 AM
  #633
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post

Gallagher was our best player last night. Still....Cole got more than 4 minutes in PP time and Gally only got 1m30

Is that normal to you?
Cole is a veteran. Gallagher is a rookie.

Veteran's maintenance. That's it.

MXD is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 10:59 AM
  #634
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
DD is playing well....so is the Habs.

But putting Cole with Galchenyuk is practically an insult to one our best players so far. He is responsable for our last win. And for his work, let's take out some of his ice-time, let's give him one of our worst player ????

Is that normal to you?

Even worst....forget about DD.

Gallagher was our best player last night. Still....Cole got more than 4 minutes in PP time and Gally only got 1m30

Is that normal to you?
Galchenyuk is easily one of the weakest links on the team right now. He loses more battles than he wins and is being treated with kid gloves by being sheltered from the oppositions top players. He just turned 19 and this is to be expected but you really need to be far more objective before posting some of these observations.

Desharnais has been far better in the last few games than Galchenyuk has at any point this season. I am not bashing Galchenyuk at all but just trying to be unbiased and objective. Alex will improve as he gains confidence but needs to be brought along very slowly. IMO Therrien is doing a fine job with him and is handling DD very well also.

At some point you have to ask yourself why it is that you never understand why coaches make certain decisions...........

Estimated_Prophet is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 11:05 AM
  #635
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Business as usual -- you care more about the name in the back than about the logo on the crest.

As for what DD deserved do get that? -- best center in the last three games (with yesterday). In which we went undefeated.

In the last 3 games:

DD: 1 point, 3 shot on goal, +0
Plek: 2 points, 10 shot on goal, +2
Galchy: 1 point, 4 shot on goal, +1
Eller: 2 points, 5 shot on goal, +1

And DD was the one with the biggest PP time and ice-time.

Well, i guess you're right and i'm blinded by my hate for DD and he was
our best centre in the last 3 games in which we went undeafeated.

Last night, it was his first point in 6 games.

DD played really well last night. He played alright last couple of games.
But other even played better as you can see....and things has been taken form them

WHY?

I'm all for helping player getting out of a slumps....but not if it's a player like Galchenyuk who's paying the price for it!!

Milhouse40 is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 11:09 AM
  #636
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,611
vCash: 500
Desharnais has been good lately, though I'd only say he was as good as Plekanec and yes, Eller, in the last game. I guess the logic is getting Desharnais going is more important to the team going forward.

What's unacceptable is Armstrong getting more playing time than Eller, especially on the PK. Only Plekanec and Prust should get more PK time than Eller for forwards.

Et le But is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 11:19 AM
  #637
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
In the last 3 games:

DD: 1 point, 3 shot on goal, +0
Plek: 2 points, 10 shot on goal, +2
Galchy: 1 point, 4 shot on goal, +1
Eller: 2 points, 5 shot on goal, +1

And DD was the one with the biggest PP time and ice-time.

Well, i guess you're right and i'm blinded by my hate for DD and he was
our best centre in the last 3 games in which we went undeafeated.

Last night, it was his first point in 6 games.

DD played really well last night. He played alright last couple of games.
But other even played better as you can see....and things has been taken form them

WHY?

I'm all for helping player getting out of a slumps....but not if it's a player like Galchenyuk who's paying the price for it!!
Seriously.........?

Estimated_Prophet is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 11:21 AM
  #638
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Seriously.........?
This is why Galchenyuk is the default 1st star at all Bell Centre games.

One Man Rock Band is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 11:28 AM
  #639
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
This is why Galchenyuk is the default 1st star at all Bell Centre games.
Yep.....

Estimated_Prophet is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 11:33 AM
  #640
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
In the last 3 games:

DD: 1 point, 3 shot on goal, +0
Plek: 2 points, 10 shot on goal, +2
Galchy: 1 point, 4 shot on goal, +1
Eller: 2 points, 5 shot on goal, +1

And DD was the one with the biggest PP time and ice-time.

Well, i guess you're right and i'm blinded by my hate for DD and he was
our best centre in the last 3 games in which we went undeafeated.

Last night, it was his first point in 6 games.

DD played really well last night. He played alright last couple of games.
But other even played better as you can see....and things has been taken form them

WHY?

I'm all for helping player getting out of a slumps....but not if it's a player like Galchenyuk who's paying the price for it!!
That proves that you can copy-paste a statsheet. Not how a player has been playing.

MXD is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 12:00 PM
  #641
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post

(...)

Technically speaking, Gally was the 3 best wingers on the team, playing with Chucky.
So, my assumption that the best wingers was given AGAIN to DD was right.

And it start to pissed me off.

(...)
Gallagher was promoted to Desharnais’ line. It was a promotion; it was not an attempt to jump start Desharnais. I wrote that Desharnais has been playing good hockey since 2 weeks now and I was wrong: he has been playing good hockey since the last 3 weeks! He did not need to be jump started.

Gallagher deserved this promotion because he showed, contrary to Galchenyuk, that he was ready to play against tougher competition. Also his style of play is a perfect complement to Desharnais’ great vision. The way he drives the net hard and with speed does open up the middle and it gives a chance to Desharnais to create a play. To put it simply, he deserves it more, way more, than Cole. Therrien is maximizing his assets; kudos to him.

As for your analysis, you seem to put too much value on points. Top 2 lines players sure need to be productive but I would label a game in which Desharnais created scoring chances, set up his wingers nicely and compete hard as a good game. When Desharnais was in a slump, points wise, just like Pacioretty, I was not worried because the chances were there, his compete level was high and he already proved that he can be productive at the NHL level. And the Team was winning games...

Just for the record: I am chatting about the last 3 weeks here. At the start of the season Desharnais had problems handling and protecting the puck and his reaction time was way off.

I really hope Gallagher is ok because our second line (Pacioretty – Desharnais – Gallagher) looked great with him onboard... and I am sure that Cole is now feeling Eller’s breath in his neck!


EDIT: swap 3 weeks with 18 days!


Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-17-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: weird auto correct! + 18 days instead of 3 weeks
Kjell Dahlin is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 12:06 PM
  #642
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Gallagher was promoted to Desharnais’ line. It was a promotion; it was not an attempt to jump start Desharnais. I wrote that Desharnais has been playing good hockey since 2 weeks now and I was wrong: he has been playing good hockey since the last 3 weeks! He did not need to be jump started.

Gallagher deserved this promotion because he showed, contrary to Galchenyuk, that he was ready to play against tougher competition. Also his style of play is a perfect complement to Desharnais’ great vision. The way he drives the net hard and with speed do open up the middle and it gives a chance to Desharnais to create a play. To put it simply, he derived it more, way more, than Cole. Therrien is maximizing his assets; kudos to him.

As for your analysis, you seem to put too much value on points. Top 2 lines players sure need to be productive but I would label a game in which Desharnais created scoring chances, set up his wingers nicely and compete hard as a good game. When Desharnais was in a slump, points wise, just like Pacioretty, I was not worried because the chances were there, his compete level was high and he already proved that he can be productive at the NHL level. And the Team was winning games...

Just for the record: I am chatting about the last 3 weeks here. At the start of the season Desharnais had problems handling and protecting the puck and his reaction time was way off.

I really hope Gallagher is ok because our second line (Pacioretty – Desharnais – Gallagher) looked great with him onboard... and I am sure that Cole is now feeling Eller’s breath in his neck!
you know the season started barely over 3 weeks ago right ?

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 01:01 PM
  #643
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Gallagher was promoted to Desharnais’ line. It was a promotion; it was not an attempt to jump start Desharnais. I wrote that Desharnais has been playing good hockey since 2 weeks now and I was wrong: he has been playing good hockey since the last 3 weeks! He did not need to be jump started.

Gallagher deserved this promotion because he showed, contrary to Galchenyuk, that he was ready to play against tougher competition. Also his style of play is a perfect complement to Desharnais’ great vision. The way he drives the net hard and with speed do open up the middle and it gives a chance to Desharnais to create a play. To put it simply, he derived it more, way more, than Cole. Therrien is maximizing his assets; kudos to him.

As for your analysis, you seem to put too much value on points. Top 2 lines players sure need to be productive but I would label a game in which Desharnais created scoring chances, set up his wingers nicely and compete hard as a good game. When Desharnais was in a slump, points wise, just like Pacioretty, I was not worried because the chances were there, his compete level was high and he already proved that he can be productive at the NHL level. And the Team was winning games...

Just for the record: I am chatting about the last 3 weeks here. At the start of the season Desharnais had problems handling and protecting the puck and his reaction time was way off.

I really hope Gallagher is ok because our second line (Pacioretty – Desharnais – Gallagher) looked great with him onboard... and I am sure that Cole is now feeling Eller’s breath in his neck!
The season is not a month old....come on!!

And DD didn't put any points in his last 5 games before being put with Gallagher.
I think it's enough to talk about jumpstarting a player.

If Gallagher received a promotion, which is good.....why did he only played about 12 minutes (his usual ice-time). How in the hell being put on the less productive line this season is a promotion anyway?

Milhouse40 is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 01:03 PM
  #644
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post

If Gallagher received a promotion, which is good.....why did he only played about 12 minutes (his usual ice-time). How in the hell being put on the less productive line this season is a promotion anyway?
Veteran's maintenance (Cole).

MXD is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 01:12 PM
  #645
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you know the season started barely over 3 weeks ago right ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
The season is not a month old....come on!!

(...)
If you browse through this thread, you will notice that I mentioned jan 30th as the day when Desharnais woke up. So, from my point of view, he did underperform (poor puck handling, slow reaction time...) during, roughly the first two weeks of the season or, to be more specific, the first 11 days of the season.

When I wrote 3 weeks, I meant the last 18 days... my "bad"!

EDIT:

Ref.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Desharnais had a decent/good 1st period: a nice defensive play, he won a large chunk of his faceoffs and he set up Cole nicely. Eller was invisible during the first.

Therrien gave Desharnais and Cole a new winger to start the 2nd: Moen. In one shift, Moen showed more hustle than Eller in the 2 previous games. While waiting for Pacioretty, Moen – Desharnais – Cole may provide us with a balanced contribution.

Eller was back on LW and Eller- Desharnais – Cole spent most of their ice time in Ottawa’s zone. They played a good 3rd period, enough for me to hesitate between Moen and Eller as this line LW for the next game. Based on their play in the 3rd, I would go, again, with Eller – Desharnais – Cole. One thing is sure: Subban’s return will help the even strength play of our 2nd and 3rd line.

Kjell Dahlin is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 01:18 PM
  #646
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
The season is not a month old....come on!!

And DD didn't put any points in his last 5 games before being put with Gallagher.
I think it's enough to talk about jumpstarting a player.

If Gallagher received a promotion, which is good.....why did he only played about 12 minutes (his usual ice-time). How in the hell being put on the less productive line this season is a promotion anyway?
You do realize he didn't play for the last 8+ minutes of the game, right?

He would have probably hit 14-15.

He also got promoted to the Powerplay mid-way through the game, which he wasn't at the start.

One Man Rock Band is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:50 AM
  #647
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,310
vCash: 500
Desharnais does the following well:
- Shootout specialist
- Low salary
- Passable offensive center to keep in reserve if either of the top-2 centers become injured.

It's not terrible, it's a decent package. He's just hard to fit into our line system in a rational way if:
- Galchenyuk becomes a 1st line center
- Galchenyuk and Plekanec are both healthy.

Maybe Eller-Desharnais could become an effective 2-way 3rd line, I don't know. For me, I like the idea of a 3rd line anchored by Eller that could be an effective shutdown line against the league's elite even when starting from the defensive zone -- that would really liberate Galchenyuk and Plekanec to score more points.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:42 AM
  #648
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Desharnais does the following well:
- Shootout specialist
- Low salary
- Passable offensive center to keep in reserve if either of the top-2 centers become injured.

It's not terrible, it's a decent package. He's just hard to fit into our line system in a rational way if:
- Galchenyuk becomes a 1st line center
- Galchenyuk and Plekanec are both healthy.

Maybe Eller-Desharnais could become an effective 2-way 3rd line, I don't know. For me, I like the idea of a 3rd line anchored by Eller that could be an effective shutdown line against the league's elite even when starting from the defensive zone -- that would really liberate Galchenyuk and Plekanec to score more points.
Just need to add very good defensive wingers. That we don't have.

MXD is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 08:58 AM
  #649
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
If you browse through this thread, you will notice that I mentioned jan 30th as the day when Desharnais woke up. So, from my point of view, he did underperform (poor puck handling, slow reaction time...) during, roughly the first two weeks of the season or, to be more specific, the first 11 days of the season.

When I wrote 3 weeks, I meant the last 18 days... my "bad"!

EDIT:

Ref.:
well huh, no... lol

there's a huge difference between having a good game and waking up, besides, he woke-up so much, his goal saturday was his 1st poing in his last 6 games or so...

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 09:15 AM
  #650
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
What everyone has to realize is that eventually a pro defines his own game. DD needs to score more goals, and I think he knows that.
Further to that, what was most beautiful about watching Habs in the 70's is that every single guy on the team had defined his own game, and knew his strengths perfectly. I've never seen a better collection of pro hockey players since. It was the most intelligent team in history, I think. From Dryden out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Are you sure? I was talking my Dad about it (I started watching in 92-93) and he said in the 80's he was a used in PP situations and played with some of the best players on the Habs.

Scoring statistics seem to agree with that (only one season I believe he was outside of the Top-4 after his rookie season), but I'm not going to pretend to know since I didn't watch back then.
Carbs was not used as a top six in Montreal. His genius was on D, and scoring timely goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Lol .. Considering Gallagher had one point and was a -1 in his last 6 games, maybe you should re-think. Desharnais set both guys up multiple times, take off your sunglasses and watch the game.
Galla is a rookie who has played 13 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
DD is playing well....so is the Habs.

But putting Cole with Galchenyuk is practically an insult to one our best players so far. He is responsable for our last win. And for his work, let's take out some of his ice-time, let's give him one of our worst player ????

Is that normal to you?

Even worst....forget about DD.

Gallagher was our best player last night. Still....Cole got more than 4 minutes in PP time and Gally only got 1m30

Is that normal to you?

We, as fan, are happy......but some players might not be as happy with this situation.
Cause they worked well so far and things has been taken from them and given to some players wwho didn't diserve it as much as they do!!
Everybody Chill the **** out on DD. He's a great kid, and he'll be given chances. Time will tell. And he's the first to know it. He's not stupid. He knows he has to put up points, and he knows he has to score goals. Imagine the pressure. Stop trying to make him the next Pocket Rocket. It just kills good french kids here. Let him do his best, and we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I watched him for his entire career and he spent almost his entire tenure here with Nilan, Gainey, McPhee, Keane, Brunet, Gilchrist and Corson for brief periods. He is probably best remembered as being the center between Nilan and Gainey and then later on having Mike Keane as a staple on his wing. There were periods when Bobby Smith got hurt and he saw some time with Richer and Corson but he was always a 2nd/3rd line center. With a healthy lineup he would very rarely get 1st pp unit ice time.

Stats don't tell the whole story as players like Stephane LeBeau were given offensive assignments ahead of him.

Carbo's main responsibility was to shut down the oppositions top line and kill penalties. Those were deep teams without much star power up front so the scoring was usually spread out very well. He had the talent to score well over a point per game but wasn't used in that capacity due to his absolute dominance in the defensive aspects of the game.
Superb post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Galchenyuk is easily one of the weakest links on the team right now. He loses more battles than he wins and is being treated with kid gloves by being sheltered from the oppositions top players. He just turned 19 and this is to be expected but you really need to be far more objective before posting some of these observations.

Desharnais has been far better in the last few games than Galchenyuk has at any point this season. I am not bashing Galchenyuk at all but just trying to be unbiased and objective. Alex will improve as he gains confidence but needs to be brought along very slowly. IMO Therrien is doing a fine job with him and is handling DD very well also.

At some point you have to ask yourself why it is that you never understand why coaches make certain decisions...........
I'm more and more impressed by your posts. And yes, Therry seems quire comfy in handling the drama and egos. Tactically I suspect he's kinda crap, but he seems superb with players. And that is what this team needs. Saw a lot of pics in the Gaz today, and most of them had guys smiling at practice, including Therry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
This is why Galchenyuk is the default 1st star at all Bell Centre games.
You just never saw talent before in a Habs uni. No worries, you'll get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I watched him for his entire career and he spent almost his entire tenure here with Nilan, Gainey, McPhee, Keane, Brunet, Gilchrist and Corson for brief periods. He is probably best remembered as being the center between Nilan and Gainey and then later on having Mike Keane as a staple on his wing. There were periods when Bobby Smith got hurt and he saw some time with Richer and Corson but he was always a 2nd/3rd line center. With a healthy lineup he would very rarely get 1st pp unit ice time.

Stats don't tell the whole story as players like Stephane LeBeau were given offensive assignments ahead of him.

Carbo's main responsibility was to shut down the oppositions top line and kill penalties. Those were deep teams without much star power up front so the scoring was usually spread out very well. He had the talent to score well over a point per game but wasn't used in that capacity due to his absolute dominance in the defensive aspects of the game.
Superb post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post

As for your analysis, you seem to put too much value on points.

Well. I put a lot of value on points. They tend to win you cups. But what do I know, I saw Gros Bill play when I was 7. And the Habs the entire 70's. Live. They ate teams alive and killed teams to death with skating, goals and assists.

Score goals. Could not care less about solid D play. That was for Gainey to worry about. Oh, wait, he scored goals too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I don't know anyone who really thought Plekanec was worse than Desharnais except maybe Patofqc.

On another note, I would let Desharnais walk at $4M too. I'm hoping for something long-term around $2M, that would be ideal. The only way he gets $4M now is if he either gets really, really, really hot or we make the playoffs and he turns into Saku Koivu.

Even if all he ends up being is a 3rd line "Danny Briere" type guy, I'm fine with that if he comes cheap. Especially if he continues to be one of the better shootout guys in the league. I'll admit I was wrong on his high end talent if I'm wrong, but I'm still happy he made it this far.

One thing I have noticed is that he's not playing the same game he was last year (besides fighting the puck). I've seen him go to the boards more times this year than I did all of last year when trying to enter the zone. He's not a guy you can play dump and chase with - its somewhat frustrating. If that's a team system thing, he definitely doesn't fit into that, so either find a solution by replacing him or changing up the tactic for his line.
What everyone has to realize is that eventually a pro defines his own game. DD needs to score more goals, and I think he knows that.


Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 02-18-2013 at 12:28 PM.
bsl is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.