HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending discussion thread (edit: Markstrom called up)

Old
02-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Erick

vCash: 500
Yeah, so...call him up already. He's 23 and this is ridiculous now.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:13 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Whereas the goaltending tandem of veterans Jose Theodore and Scott Clemmensen were the backbone of Florida's 12th-ranked defense last season, they possess bloated goals-against-averages while allowing a league-high 3.62 goals-per-game, or nearly a full goal (2.63) more than last year.

todays sun sentinel.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:31 AM
LUUUUUIS
2mins for Panthering

Didn't realize it when I bought the tickets, but I'm going to the second game of the home-and-home back-to-back series with Carolina on March 3rd. This will be my son's first game. I'd much rather see Markstrom in net than Clemmessen. Please Tallon... please make it happen...

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:51 AM
Wizeman*

Feeding markstrom to the wolves like this is ENORMOUS pressure for a 23 year old goalie. I dont call him up in this situation. I think the Panthers should just go with what they have unless some upgrade came along.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:36 AM
Sticks of Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Feeding markstrom to the wolves like this is ENORMOUS pressure for a 23 year old goalie. I dont call him up in this situation. I think the Panthers should just go with what they have unless some upgrade came along.
Good way to find out if Markie is NHL ready.

St Louis did it with Jake Allen....Washington with Holtby...more and more rookie goalies can be brought up to provide a spark. Teams focus on playing more team defense when rookie goalies are called up.

Sticks of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:44 AM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

I dont know what Tallon is thinking but I guess he is cleary unhappy about the goaltending..

So why not give Marky a shot? He can not be any worser than our goaltending duo is right now.

We have plenty of rookie influence including Shore who has proven he is more than ready. The same should be said for Markstrom

I dont like injuries but if an injury occurs to one of our goaltenders you can think that Markstrom will stay here. Meanwhile Dov can handle the goal in SA

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Yeah, so...call him up already. He's 23 and this is ridiculous now.
I agree! We have the worst goalie duo in the league, how can Markstrom really hurt? What's the worst that happens, we lose?

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:18 AM
goosecrosby

Quote:
Penguins tossed Fleury to the wolves when he was 18 and he turned out alright.

Also you forget that Markstrom was playing with superior talent when he was 17-20 playing in the SEL.

goosecrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:07 AM
TheEkbombIsReal
Paaaaaanthers

Can't hurt to try. It's a short season, might aswell try it out. Might end up saving our season (I kinda doubt this, but crazier things have happened). He seems to be doing well in the AHL so why not give him a taste of the NHL and let him play a couple of games. He played pretty well last year when he was called up, afaik.

TheEkbombIsReal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
We're not feeding him to the wolves! Our team has talent and would have a better record if it wasn't for our bottom-dwelling goaltending duo.He's ready to take the reigns of this team and what better way to impress the organization who drafted you, than to step in when our "NHL goaltenders" don't get the job done and take over

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Slick Cat

I definitely see the value in bringing him up now, although our main problems are not in goal. However, a hot goalie with young energy can fire up a team in may ways. We've seen this lightning in a bottle many times over the years. If he is not our full time starter by next season, something is really wrong.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:43 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
We're not feeding him to the wolves! Our team has talent and would have a better record if it wasn't for our bottom-dwelling goaltending duo.He's ready to take the reigns of this team and what better way to impress the organization who drafted you, than to step in when our "NHL goaltenders" don't get the job done and take over
This is bull. To say our team has talent and that our goaltending is the reason for this is absolute garbage.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:51 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
if you really think the pressure would be much different next year, you're dreaming. this team will not get some drastic make over from this year to the next.

if anything, keeping markstrom down while theo and clemmer are struggling would signal to him that the organization doesn't have confidence in him.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:14 PM
RECsGuy*

Can someone tell me why Markstrom hasn't received the vast majority of San Antonio's starts this season? I know DGM has played well, but if Jacob is Florida's future, isn't the idea to get the Swede used to a very heavy/#1 workload?

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:24 PM
p9ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
if anything, keeping markstrom down while theo and clemmer are struggling would signal to him that the organization doesn't have confidence in him.
Exactly, he knows that Theo and Clemm are playing like crap, yet, he doesn't get the call.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Can someone tell me why Markstrom hasn't received the vast majority of San Antonio's starts this season? I know DGM has played well, but if Jacob is Florida's future, isn't the idea to get the Swede used to a very heavy/#1 workload?
Didn't you ask this question before?

Markstrom has gotten the majority of the starts.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Shockley
Go Cats Go!

vCash: 498
Anyone know how Marky has 10 PIM on the season? lol

Last edited by Shockley: 02-17-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
Quote:
It's not like he's not being fed the wolves already in SA

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:50 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Didn't you ask this question before?

Markstrom has gotten the majority of the starts.
33 GP for Markstrom says you're right.

Kind of funny that DGM has better SV% and GAA than Jacob.

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulikov Is King View Post
Marky received a 10 minute misconduct penalty for throwing his stick at the end of Friday's game (per Dan Weiss' twitter).

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulikov Is King View Post

He's very feisty. Idk if anyone remembers the 2009 WJC, but in the Final with Canada, he and Jacob Della Rovere had a battle going, and at one point there was a loose puck dumped into the zone, and Markstrom raced out to meet it with Della Rovere chasing after it also, and Markstrom went straight for Della Rovere and they smashed into eachother and both fell down. LOL that was the moment he became my hero.

Quote:

DGM has also played 13 fewer games. It's not unusual for a solid backup to have better stats than a starter. He has an easier workload. And the differences in their SV% and GAA are very minimal.

Dread Clawz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:13 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
He's very feisty. Idk if anyone remembers the 2009 WJC, but in the Final with Canada, he and Jacob Della Rovere had a battle going, and at one point there was a loose puck dumped into the zone, and Markstrom raced out to meet it with Della Rovere chasing after it also, and Markstrom went straight for Della Rovere and they smashed into eachother and both fell down. LOL that was the moment he became my hero.

DGM has also played 13 fewer games. It's not unusual for a solid backup to have better stats than a starter. He has an easier workload. And the differences in their SV% and GAA are very minimal.
the trolls timing is convenient - as Markstrom's save % has been higher than DGM's all season up until this week. ignore him.

i'd honestly even be willing to give DGM a shot. that's how bad our goaltending has been. why not? if he stinks at the NHL level, it'll be no different than what we've had so far anyway...especially clemmensen. and sometimes all goalies need is a chance - look at Fasth in Anaheim.

promoting DGM would just be "throwing **** up against a wall and hoping something sticks" type of logic, but considering the **** we've thrown against the wall this year hasn't stuck, why not try someone else? anyone else?

not saying DGM should be promoted over Markstrom obviously, but at this point, if they're intent on babying Marky, then try something else. DGM's numbers have been very good in the AHL. maybe it will translate - maybe not. what would we have to lose? can't be worse than clemmensen.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:23 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:

We better panic trade for Luongo ASAP. DGM has slightly better stats than Markstrom.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:26 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
I definitely see the value in bringing him up now, although our main problems are not in goal. However, a hot goalie with young energy can fire up a team in may ways. We've seen this lightning in a bottle many times over the years. If he is not our full time starter by next season, something is really wrong.
This is precisely the main reason I'd lean towards bringing Marky up. He could provide a much-needed spark, much like Viktor Fasth & Jake Allen have done for their respective teams.

A most opportune scenario would be a short-term injury to Clemmensen/Theodore, if only to have a built-in excuse to send Markstrom back if he isn't ready.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Erick

Quote:

Kind of funny how much you want Luongo.

Markstrom has played more games and gotten more of a workload so it's not entirely surprising. Really nice of you to nitpick this week, considering Markstrom's #'s have been better for quite awhile now. It just so happens he had one of his worst games of the season not too long ago.