HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sat, Feb 16, 2013 | Senators at Maple Leafs | 7:00pm EST | CBC | Cripple Fight! Ed.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Fitch89

vCash: 500
People questioning guys like Silf make me question whether they watch the games or just the stat sheets. Considering the number of games he's played and the inconsistency in the lineups, I think he's looked pretty great. He's had a lot of great chances that just haven't found the back of the net. Give him someone in front of the net to clean up rebounds and he'll be golden. Did some people actually expect all of the rookies to be magically NHL veterans?

Fitch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:27 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Do you know who @Downgoesbrown is?

Remarks like this are his claim to fame
And is a self described big Leaf fan

The Reporters ripped the Sens for the first whole segment of their show today. That is probably more than all the mentions of the Sens for the whole of last year..

Last year when the Sens made the playoffs after being projected to come in dead last, there was never a mention except for the odd sarcastic aside.

Now they ripped them for last nights loss(so what if they were missing a couple of players?)they said and then eagerly moved on to attacking Melnyks remarks about Cooke.

Not sure of Farbers take on the whole Patches/Chara uproar but he sure considered it open season on the Sens today.

They are the same lot that are hysterical with joy and could devote half the show to the glories of the Leafs should they win 4 games in a row.

pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Where does this non-sense come from? You really don't understand how the NHL works (contracts)

What would be the point to have Lehner in the NHL? So he could play 7-8 games in total?
I understand how NHL contracts work just fine, so no need for the blanket assumption that I don't. We simply have a difference of opinion on whether his contract should be the determinative factor in where he plays.

The main point for discussion, again, is that it seems no matter where we put him now, he's at risk of getting shelled, and has been getting shelled with Bingo now, and his confidence is at risk. The question, then, is what's worse for confidence: to get shelled in the minors or to get shelled with the big club?

Contract talk aside, I worry what happens mentally if we leave him out to dry in the minors while all his teammates get a shot.

Last edited by Vikes88: 02-17-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Re-wording.
Vikes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Orr123

People are really be too critical of the sens right now!

I honestly expected far worse last night than we got. We lack finish but we also lack the star players. The young players did well considering and scrivens did well.

It was one game with out an entire team basically. Give the kids some slack.

I agree with someone who said it's an audition year. It is. Last night I was happy to see effort, the finish will come with time, maybe not this year, but it will. They fared just fine considering.

It's a shortened season, who cares. I can't wait to see this team with no injuries and the young kids with experience.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:07 AM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
I love Spezza and as a Jets season ticket holder, I am well aware of how crazy his game can be... remember what he did to us last year? Anyway, everyone loves Spezza. He needs no love... My boy Da Costa is the new kid. He has been put down in the past. "Nothing but AHL career fodder or if he fails, he goes to Europe" is what they said. Seeing his skillset and the way he sees things on the ice that not many of the better NHLers see, makes me believe this kid is going to be an NHLer for a very long time. It's always more fun to root for the Rudy types. Undrafted kid from a place like France... Hollywood story writing itself here folks. hehe
A Pens fan who is a Jets season ticket holder and a Sens fan? Which other teams are your favourites?

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:22 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
one player I've been really impressed with is Benoit.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:23 AM
pepty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr123 View Post
People are really be too critical of the sens right now!

I honestly expected far worse last night than we got. We lack finish but we also lack the star players. The young players did well considering and scrivens did well.

It was one game with out an entire team basically. Give the kids some slack.

I agree with someone who said it's an audition year. It is. Last night I was happy to see effort, the finish will come with time, maybe not this year, but it will. They fared just fine considering.

It's a shortened season, who cares. I can't wait to see this team with no injuries and the young kids with experience.
Exactly-there were three players who never had a game in the NHL before and all the players had to get used to playing with each other and without the top scorers.

I have also come to the conclusion that certain personalities and programs will never have anything positive to say about the Sens whatever happens-such as The Reporters.I don't think they ever have until now, or at least I've never seen it, so I won expect it in the future.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Golden
Börk Börk Börk

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
And is a self described big Leaf fan

The Reporters ripped the Sens for the first whole segment of their show today. That is probably more than all the mentions of the Sens for the whole of last year..

Last year when the Sens made the playoffs after being projected to come in dead last, there was never a mention except for the odd sarcastic aside.

Now they ripped them for last nights loss(so what if they were missing a couple of players?)they said and then eagerly moved on to attacking Melnyks remarks about Cooke.

Not sure of Farbers take on the whole Patches/Chara uproar but he sure considered it open season on the Sens today.

They are the same lot that are hysterical with joy and could devote half the show to the glories of the Leafs should they win 4 games in a row.
That's why I sometimes think that few fans have it harder than Sens fans. When your national media thinks it's their life's mission to take potshots at your team when they're down and undermine any success they may have, it doesn't surprise me that our fanbase is still as small as it is.

Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:45 AM
newerabegins

i aint even mad. this is looking like the beginning of last season when we had so much youth in the line-up and we were losing a lot. got no problem with it and the bingo kids are getting really good experience!!!

newerabegins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:02 PM
gatosauce12345

My one big question is how can Weircioch not get in the lineup with all these injuries? Not only should this be our time to find if he's a top 4 D, but he and Gonchar are really the only guys that can QB the Powerplay.

gatosauce12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:07 PM
OgieO

The team is just gutted. I'm sure they are emotionally drained as well from losing EK to an injury like that and they know they don't have the horses to contend anymore.

But I'm proud of them for playing hard. They battled til the end and that's all I can ask.

My only beef is with Phillips missing the net on that slapper late in the game. That's the ONLY thing he can't do in that situation.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:10 PM
pepty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatosauce12345 View Post
My one big question is how can Weircioch not get in the lineup with all these injuries? Not only should this be our time to find if he's a top 4 D, but he and Gonchar are really the only guys that can QB the Powerplay.
I agree, he's the best option for an offensive defenceman now that Karlsson is out.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:24 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

I'm not seeing any 'are we tough enough' threads so I'll take that as a small victory.

Hoping Bishop gets in tomorrow. Wiercioch too.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:26 PM
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
A Pens fan who is a Jets season ticket holder and a Sens fan? Which other teams are your favourites?
In spite of the history between ottawa and pittsburgh, none of these teams are exactly natural rivals.

God forbid that a fan of another team who happens to live in Winnipeg decides to support the Jets when they come back. Nobody really dislikes the jets except the 6 or so people in Atlanta who give a damn about hockey. I'm a Penguins fan from Eastern Ontario, but I also enjoy following the teams that my friends and loved ones are into. I'm sure most fans of out of market teams feel the way I do.

StoneColdFlower* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Benny FTW
Tool Time Travel

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinPower420 View Post
In spite of the history between ottawa and pittsburgh, none of these teams are exactly natural rivals.

Alfie forbid that a fan of another team who happens to live in Winnipeg decides to support the Jets when they come back. Nobody really dislikes the jets except the 6 or so people in Atlanta who give a damn about hockey. I'm a Penguins fan from Eastern Ontario, but I also enjoy following the teams that my friends and loved ones are into. I'm sure most fans of out of market teams feel the way I do.
FTFY.

If your gonna be a Sens fan you gotta remember this.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:51 PM
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
FTFY.

If your gonna be a Sens fan you gotta remember this.
It's not always easy. Most people I know have despised Matt Cooke since back when he was a Canuck, so you can imagine the reception I've been getting as of late. And last night when I was drunk I posted some regrettable comments about Melnyk that I wish I could take back, which doesn't exactly help my cause here.

StoneColdFlower* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch89 View Post
People questioning guys like Silf make me question whether they watch the games or just the stat sheets. Considering the number of games he's played and the inconsistency in the lineups, I think he's looked pretty great. He's had a lot of great chances that just haven't found the back of the net. Give him someone in front of the net to clean up rebounds and he'll be golden. Did some people actually expect all of the rookies to be magically NHL veterans?
Some don't understand that most rookies eventually develop into good nhlers.

Well I mean notable prospect rookies.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:02 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Its crazy how Dorion projected Silf so well. He said something to the likes of "he will be a good player, but unless his foot speed improves, he won't be better than just good."

Its painfully obvious that if Silf was more agile, he would have a ton more scoring chances so far. Also, he needs to quicken up that wrist shot release as well. He gets it blocked literally 80% of the time.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Do Make Say Think

vCash: 144
I was very happy with the effort but as feared the talent/skill level of the team is very, very low.

I predict a long losing streak incoming but the team won't be playing like garbage so I don't mind it.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Larionov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch89 View Post
Silfverberg is 22, not 18, so he should be closer to his prime than a lot of rookies. In addition, the guy lit up the Swedish Elite League last year, and that is one of the best pro leagues outside of the NHL. I think it was reasonable to hope and expect that he could come in here and be somewhat productive offensively. Getting chances is nice and all, but they do keep score in the NHL, and you have to be productive. Right now, he is a guy getting top line minutes, and he has three points. Facts are facts - he simply has to be better.

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:28 PM
MiscBrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larionov View Post
Silfverberg is 22, not 18, so he should be closer to his prime than a lot of rookies. In addition, the guy lit up the Swedish Elite League last year, and that is one of the best pro leagues outside of the NHL. I think it was reasonable to hope and expect that he could come in here and be somewhat productive offensively. Getting chances is nice and all, but they do keep score in the NHL, and you have to be productive. Right now, he is a guy getting top line minutes, and he has three points. Facts are facts - he simply has to be better.
Come on it's not fair really judge his play so far this season. He's playing with scrubs in the best league in the world. Put him with a healthy Spezza and MM and he'd have 10-15 points so far. Remember how good Spezza made Greening look at the beginning of last season? You really think Silf couldn't outperform him?

MiscBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:07 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiscBrah View Post
Come on it's not fair really judge his play so far this season. He's playing with scrubs in the best league in the world. Put him with a healthy Spezza and MM and he'd have 10-15 points so far. Remember how good Spezza made Greening look at the beginning of last season? You really think Silf couldn't outperform him?
Silf had plenty more opportunity with Spezza before he got hurt than Greening & Greening still has more pts than him. Just saying.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:31 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

There is a very good reason why both Spezza and Karlsson were Hart trophy candidates last year.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
The team is just gutted. I'm sure they are emotionally drained as well from losing EK to an injury like that and they know they don't have the horses to contend anymore.

But I'm proud of them for playing hard. They battled til the end and that's all I can ask.

My only beef is with Phillips missing the net on that slapper late in the game. That's the ONLY thing he can't do in that situation.
So you were ok with Benoit missing the net on a 3 on 1?

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote