HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Budaj gets a win!

Old
02-17-2013, 03:34 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habcentric View Post
I thought Emelin had a pretty good game.
Came to post this. Just finished watching the game and as hard as I've been on Emelin, that was a strong game for him without any huge body checks. Just strong positional play and good decision making.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:02 AM
PricePkPatch

I (happily) don't see any injury report thread, so I'll ask here. Do we have news about Patch & Gally?

Also, anybody else feel to comment on Desharnais's appearance at the AC yesterday?

edit: LOOOL. Calling Gallagher "le ti-gars". Reply: "I am sure you don't get to call many people "le ti-gar" "

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:42 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
There's Ned Flanders on one side.

He's had Ned on most of his masks since his time in CO(I think the dryden mask didn't have it not sure what others) but on the right(?) side of his mask there was an image in blue that looked like Han Solo to me I was hoping to get a better look at. As dreadful as Budaj usually is(even in this game there were quite a few bobbles + the giveaway that PK saved) but his masks are usually awesome. I think I found the mask and it's Messi on the other side sadly.

MoobMoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:56 AM
SwedisHab
Slim Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
There's Ned Flanders on one side.
and Lionel Messi on the other side. he's a big fan.

SwedisHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:43 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
My girl is Filipina. I'm doing my best to pick up Tagalog. Orally, I'm succeeding. Aurally, not so much.
Dude, I cant smash this one back over the net. I want to, but...

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:42 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Hopefully not, but I know what you mean. The last time I heard this phrase after a game was about five years ago, when we made the playoffs in the last game, but lost Markov and... crap, forgo the D's name... thanks to Toronto's gutless players.
The true meaning of Pyrrhic victory in our times is a victory obtained through cheating in some way.

The poster who first used this expression regards this game was incorrect.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:52 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
The true meaning of Pyrrhic victory in our times is a victory obtained through cheating in some way.

LOL - "in our times" - meaning in the last few hours, since bsl changed the true meaning of the expression !!

A Pyrrhic victory means what the OP said it means

Here is one reference:

Quote:
A Pyrrhic victory is a victory which is only achieved with heavy losses on one's own side.

This alludes to the Battle of Ausculum (Ascoli Satriano, in Apulia). in 279 BCE, when the Epirote King Pyrrhus, aiding the Tarentines, defeated the Romans but with severe casualties of his own. After the battle, Pyrrhus is recorded to have commented: "If we win another such battle against the Romans, we will be completely lost" (Plutarch, Pyrrhus 21,14)." - http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rhic%20victory

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:17 AM
PricePkPatch

It's incredible the amount of BS people will throw ignorantly about an idiom more than twice-millennial.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:30 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Thus spake Humpty Dumpty

Quote:

Well, there's glory for you. And yes, by that I mean "a nice knockdown argument".

'And only one for birthday presents, you know. There's glory for you!'
'I don't know what you mean by "glory",' Alice said.
Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. 'Of course you don't — till I tell you. I meant "there's a nice knock-down argument for you!"'
'But "glory" doesn't mean "a nice knock-down argument",' Alice objected.
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'
'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'
'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:39 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
Dude, I cant smash this one back over the net. I want to, but...
Thanks for refraining. My old Wilson isn't up to it.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:21 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:

Life must suck when one's so ignorant about common expressions and simple history. But doubly so when you wrongly try to correct people who use terms properly

And I was drunk last night.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:34 AM
poetryinmotion

So uh.. how 'bout that win..

Is Philly tanking to sneak into the lottery in a shortened season? They picked up Carter and Richards in 2003 and this draft is eerily similar.

Lavi had no life behind the bench, not his usual self at all. Bizzare.

poetryinmotion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:37 AM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Pretty sure Diaz has lead our D-core in ice-time the last three games.. awesome.
Diaz is the most underrated player with the Habs !!

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:47 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Diaz is the most underrated player with the Habs !!
Maybe, but he shouldn't be playing so many minutes though, because there are better defensemen than him on the team. Subban needs to get his PK duties, then the TOI chart would actually look normal.

poetryinmotion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:03 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Maybe, but he shouldn't be playing so many minutes though, because there are better defensemen than him on the team. Subban needs to get his PK duties, then the TOI chart would actually look normal.
Opposition scores 1 ES goal every ~40 minutes of ice-time when Diaz is on the ice. Opposition scores 1 ES goal every ~27 1/2 minutes when Subban is on the ice.

Diaz faces the third best competition (according to QoC, Relative Corsi QoC ranks him second behind Gorges) behind Markov and Gorges on the club. Subban ranks 7th of 8th (only Weber saw worse competition). Diaz and Gorges also directly

Diaz, Markov, and Subban have the best success rate for PK (GA vs TOI).

Diaz is having an incredible season, I really wish people would stop throwing him under the bus to promote their #1 guy. The Gorges - Diaz pairing has been nothing short of fantastic.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Et le But

I'd still rather have Subban-Gorges back, and that's not a knock on Diaz. Diaz wasn't looking very good for a while, but he's picked it up again in the past few games. What is it with Emelin and Diaz playing good or bad at the same time? They both started off great, had a rough patch, and have been good again lately. I remember something similar last year too.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:09 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I'd still rather have Subban-Gorges back, and that's not a knock on Diaz. Diaz wasn't looking very good for a while, but he's picked it up again in the past few games. What is it with Emelin and Diaz playing good or bad at the same time? They both started off great, had a rough patch, and have been good again lately. I remember something similar last year too.
I only seem to recall cursing at Diaz during one game this season. He had a few average games, but his ice-time has gradually gone up, so the coach is liking what he's seeing.

Defensively, he's been pretty fantastic. Offensively, he's been on and off (his hold at the blueline needs work), but hard to complain from a second year guy.

First game of the season, Diaz was given under 15-minutes. In his first 5-games, he average around 16 1/2 minutes. Over the past 5 games, he's averaging around 23 minutes.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I only seem to recall cursing at Diaz during one game this season. He had a bunch of average games, but his ice-time has gradually gone up, so the coach is liking what he's seeing.

First game of the season, Diaz was given under 15-minutes. In his first 5-games, he average around 16 1/2 minutes. Over the past 5 games, he's averaging around 23 minutes.
I thought during the "slump", the Diaz and Gorges pair was brutal at times, but basically the whole defense was looking poor for about 3 games.

Also, speaking of Diaz, him and Markov need to stay together on the PP.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:14 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I thought during the "slump", the Diaz and Gorges pair was brutal at times, but basically the whole defense was looking poor for about 3 games.

Also, speaking of Diaz, him and Markov need to stay together on the PP.
The Diaz/Gorges pair also faces the toughest competition and IMO, during the slump, still looked better than other pairs.

And the Toronto game was not normal - every other game we've been in this year. Even the Ottawa game we lost 5-1, we were right there until the bad penalty.

Agreed on the PP point though.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:28 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
So uh.. how 'bout that win..

Is Philly tanking to sneak into the lottery in a shortened season? They picked up Carter and Richards in 2003 and this draft is eerily similar.

Lavi had no life behind the bench, not his usual self at all. Bizzare.
I think he knows, the Flyers suck...but you could be on to something...

Hate the flyers, glad to beat them, and baby Roo...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:30 AM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Just curious; anyone here think that Schenn's hit is reviewable material for Shannahan?

Yes.

Schenn only saw numbers and Gally had no idea he was coming as he was watching the puck leave the zone.

There is no doubt in my mind that not only is a review-able but at least a 2 game suspension, but Shannan blew calls on 2 hits a week or 2 ago where they were blatantly obvious.

I guess Gary and crew told Shanny to ton down the suspensions, the NHL likes the violence because fans buy tickets to see the "revenge" games.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:00 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Life must suck when one's so ignorant about common expressions and simple history. But doubly so when you wrongly try to correct people who use terms properly

And I was drunk last night.
i don't even remember last night

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:14 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
Yes.

Schenn only saw numbers and Gally had no idea he was coming as he was watching the puck leave the zone.

There is no doubt in my mind that not only is a review-able but at least a 2 game suspension, but Shannan blew calls on 2 hits a week or 2 ago where they were blatantly obvious.

I guess Gary and crew told Shanny to ton down the suspensions, the NHL likes the violence because fans buy tickets to see the "revenge" games.
Ya, that hit was bad. Notice the elbow?

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote