HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 11:55 PM
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Needs to stop going into the corners. Who told him he's a grinder? He's strong for his size, but he has arguably the hardest shot in our whole system, and needs to get himself open around the hash marks.
This quote worries me, because the Rangers are all about going into the corners and wall play. Makes you wonder if his skill set will fit in the Rangers game plan.

However, it is nice to hear that he is making strides and playing better. Good work Beacon.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:54 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Beacon, how has McIlrath shot and passing been recently? I'm curious what you think his offensive potential is.

His shot is the shot of a defensive defenseman. He can hurl the puck towards the net and it won't look embarrassing, but it won't beat any semi-pro goalie. However, the shot is nice and low, and thrown in such a way that it can be redirected. Don't expect him to score from the blue line... ever in his career, but a smart "garbage scorer" can use his shot to create offense.

His passing is smart. That's all I have to say about that. Vernace gets the puck in his own and throws it straight down the middle of the ice, which comes back to bite him plenty of times. McIlrath, on the other hand, when he's along the boards will throw it off the boards where it is perfectly safe. When he's mid-ice, he will make a nice pass to a better stickhandler, the kind of pass you don't notice, but the kind that prevents him from getting in trouble. His passing is simple, but that's what I want him to do.

In the future, more will be expected, but honestly, going into the playoffs, wouldn't you take a RD who can clear the crease for Lundqvist, intimidate opponents with both body checks and fights, and who's not making mistakes?

I hope he can keep up this kind of play for another month because that will result in him joining the Rangers in time to get acclimated at this level before the playoffs begin.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:33 AM
Dorado*

Great review . Disappointing on his shooting . Besides CT , why do NYR shy away from players who can flat out shoot it ? I know Brendl was a bust but doesn't seem a reason not to use a pick on a guy with a good shot . Currently NYR have no one who can really bring it

Old
02-17-2013, 07:59 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Superb updates and analysis Beacon. We all appreciate it... at least we do when it is encouraging.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:15 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Great review . Disappointing on his shooting . Besides CT , why do NYR shy away from players who can flat out shoot it ? I know Brendl was a bust but doesn't seem a reason not to use a pick on a guy with a good shot . Currently NYR have no one who can really bring it
Kreider can flat out bring it. As can Stepan, although he's been taking too long to get it off this year.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Dorado*

CK has a great shot bad sadly this far appears to never have the puck at two levels of hockey ( A AND NHL ) to show it

Old
02-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
This quote worries me, because the Rangers are all about going into the corners and wall play. Makes you wonder if his skill set will fit in the Rangers game plan.

However, it is nice to hear that he is making strides and playing better. Good work Beacon.

Do you remember Ziggy Palffy? Would you take a player like that? Of course you would because even though he didnt go into the corners, he was a 40-40 player. Even if Thomas becomes a 30-30 player, we will be very happy.

His bread and butter should be scoring. Instead, he fights with big guys in the corners, which will lead to injuries (see: Bourque). I love that when he hits, he drives through his opponent, but no need to stay in the corner. That is for Yogan, Noob, Wilson. Thomas needs to go get himself open and fire the puck where the goalie wont catch it.

Last edited by Beacon: 02-17-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old
02-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

It has to be pretty disheartening that our leading scorer is Kris Newbury, no? Furthermore, he has what? 20 more points than the second guy? I don't watch the Whale, but based on the numbers, that is pretty disheartening, although it's not like we have an elite talent down there.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Rash View Post
It has to be pretty disheartening that our leading scorer is Kris Newbury, no? Furthermore, he has what? 20 more points than the second guy? I don't watch the Whale, but based on the numbers, that is pretty disheartening, although it's not like we have an elite talent down there.
Not really. He's got quite the offensive skill set when it comes to the AHL. Not sure who on this roster you'd expect to be outscoring him right now.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:08 PM
LeetchisGod
We miss the net

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Kreider can flat out bring it. As can Stepan, although he's been taking too long to get it off this year.
In what world? Stepan has a mediocre shot at best.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Stepan can bring it? What? His lunch to a picnic? Stepan's wrist shot is ok but he takes it only when there is a full moon!

Old
02-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Christian Thomas scores again! Whale are tied at 1 halfway through the second. Trying to win five in a row and take six points this weekend.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Pizza

If Thomas can ever get the time and space to get that shot on goal in the NHL he could be a very interesting player.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
9pts in 8 games for Haley.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Holy crap. Whale have scored two late in the game to go up 3-2. Eminger and Mashinter. Not sure how much time is left.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
9pts in 8 games for Haley.
Wonder why he hasn't got a tryout here. Is it still cause of his...attitude, I guess.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Whale win! Five in a row.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:09 PM
NickyFotiu

I saw some talk about Dylans shot. I remember 2 and a half years ago he was shooting in the 90's before we drafted him. His shot was the 2nd hardest in some skills competition. I think he was 17 then. It would not shock me if he was around 100 as his body matures.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
I saw some talk about Dylans shot. I remember 2 and a half years ago he was shooting in the 90's before we drafted him. His shot was the 2nd hardest in some skills competition. I think he was 17 then. It would not shock me if he was around 100 as his body matures.
From what I remember, it's hard but he has a huge windup and shoots with his head down (so he's not really accurate or good at seeing shooting lanes). Though granted, that was from Traverse City 2 years ago and he could have improved.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

I really don't see him take many of those types of shots in game. I think he could certainly develop it at some point in his career though. I am fully impressed with his play this year though.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Wonder why he hasn't got a tryout here. Is it still cause of his...attitude, I guess.
Powe banged up, you would think Haley fits the 4th line

Old
02-17-2013, 11:04 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Not really. He's got quite the offensive skill set when it comes to the AHL. Not sure who on this roster you'd expect to be outscoring him right now.
Right, but at least have another player (a younger one preferably) putting up a lot of points

Old
02-18-2013, 12:31 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Didnt have the chance to watch the gabr live, so will watch it now.

FIRST PERIOD

Miss in goal. The lines are stable: Mash-Noob-Palm, Haley-Tessier-Thomas, Yogan-Jean-Segal, Pyett-Carroll-Pelech. Pyett is playing forward again.

McIlrath-Vernace, Eminger-Collins, Parlett-Klassen are paired on defense.

Miss made a few solid saves, though still having rebound trouble.

I just confused McIlrath for a forward because he skated like one.

Penalty on Thomas for lazy hooking. Eminger with McIlrath killing the penalty on defense. Segal and Mash up front. Eminger failed to clear, leading to an immediate goal. Pass across the crease, not much Miss could do.

Thomas draws a penalty with his hard work on the shift following his penalty.

If Thomas ever hits someone without protection with his slap shot, he will face murder charges. Huge shot.

Jean displaying his stickhandling. Good job around a defensemen.

Eminger is a waste of space. Not even trying.

Yogan flying again. Think Ryan Bourque with size. Love his game, though I wish he had a better shot. It isnt on pro level yet. If Thomas had his size or Yogan had his shot, it wouldve made for a hell of a player.

Big hit by Pelech.

Mash playing well. Getting his body in the way.

McIlrath is better than Eminger. Even if he didnt have the size advantage, he is a smarter player. Before I was complaining that he looks like a rookie caught in the headlights. Not anymore. He looks really good again.

Stupid penalty by Segal, taking down a Monarch in the offensive zone. The reffing sucks in the AHL. So inconsistent.

Miss is good at being square, getting better at moving side to side, not good with rebounds.

Wow, Haley is pretty fast when he gets his wheels going. Not Kreider fast, but decent for a tough guy.

End of one. Whale outshot the Monarchs 12-8, but down 1-0.

Last edited by Beacon: 02-18-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old
02-18-2013, 01:00 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

SECOND PERIOD

Noob is so good at this level, looks like Messier. Too bad he could never take that tiny step forward to play in the NHL.

Klassen is a smart big defensemen who plays good defense and makes smart passes. He needs to get a two way contract. As I typed this, he saved Miss on a rebound chance.

Miss doing well. Facing a lot of shots, making it look easy.

Vernace draws a penalty with his hard work. The Undertaker jumped in to defend his partner. Huge win. Looked like he destroyed some nerd for not giving up his lunch money. Just killed Stewart, who will not be messing with our guys anymore. It is getting very clear to anyone following this team: hit our guys and McIlrath will make you pay the price.

Toffoli had a clean SH breakaway. He leads all rookies in goals, but Miss played him well and Toffoli missed.

GOAL: Thomas with a terrific wrister. Quick release, hard, perfectly placed. Goal scorer's goal. Almost every Ranger wouldce shot that into the chest, but Thomas has a better shot than they do. Haley and Parlett with assists. 1-1.

Palm should be a figure skater because he always skatesaroubd all over with no purpose. Just roaming around.

Jean in the AHL looks like Anisinov in the NHL.

McIlrath slams a Monarch into the boards, making it sound like thunder. I replay him every time he has the puck and he never does anything dumb. Nothing that will take you out of your seat, but good, smart plays.

Phenomenal play by McIlrath to break up a 2-on-1. Great skating, positioning, sliding, stick use. He did everything great today: fighting, hitting, defense, passing.

Another good defensive play by McIlrath. If you want to learn to be a tough defensive defensemen, watch this game by The Undertaker.

Toffoli with another goal.

McIlrath is really good at keeping the puck inside the offensive zone. What a great game by him.

Haley hit the goal post with one second left in the period.

Last edited by Beacon: 02-18-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Old
02-18-2013, 01:36 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

THIRD PERIOD

Miss has a good glove. Because of his size, glove and positioning, he is hard to beat straight up. You need a rebound or a side-to-side pass.

Thomas just flying.

Vernace is doing well, even defensively. Crap, now he is injured. He has been doing well lately, very well.

Big stop by Miss on a point blank shot from 25 feet out.

Now a good slide by Miss to stop a 2-on-1.

Carroll with a big hit. Now trying (unsuccessfully) to start a fight.

Palm with a Nash-like play around a defensemen, but the goalie stopped him.

McIlrath is now playing with Klassen, who is a similar, but somewhat less tough player (though Klassen is also tough). This is a great shut down pair.

Thomas with a very good shift, set up both Haley and Tessier with opportunities an NHLer would bury.

Segal with a great pass to Eminger who buries it in the top left corner. Scored this one with just over two minutes to go.

Oh wow, another great feed by Segal, then Mash with another left corner shot, this one more difficult than Eminger's shot. This one was a goal scorer's shot. What a turn around in just 16 seconds.

McIlrath displays his defensive skating in stopping a speeding opponent.

Miss continues his good play.

Noob decided to risk icing to score and got icing. Mash did the same thing. NHLers dont do that. Two icings cause Kenny G to call a time out.

Mash almost scored an empty netter on a separate play, but a defensemen caught it inches from the goal line.

Klassen with good defense on Toffoli.

Whale wins 3-2. Five game winning streak has them in 6th place.

Last edited by Beacon: 02-18-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Closed Thread