HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Islanders Ownership Future

Old
02-14-2013, 03:08 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles View Post
This is one of the saddest white-washing jobs I've seen in quite some time... "cap flexibility move"

Teams that are trying to compete generally take measures to stay under the cap. Teams being ruined by cheapskate owners take measures to stay above the floor without spending any actual money. But please, ignore the "haters" and continue applauding these shrewd flexibility moves while the team wheezes into the draft lottery for the umpteenth year in a row.
still cant believe how many here drink the ****ing kool aid. Yeah it was a shrewd move. No, it was a move made by a **** organization run by a clueless GM and a CHEAP ass owner. But yeah lets call it shrewd. Ridiculous. same as those who call fans "clowns" because we wouldn't be mad at JT for leaving. The only clowns here are those STILL drinking the kool aid. Enjoy another ****ing top 5 pick.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:36 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Oh, a little history....they had an empty building every night.

They were "hapless" and dubbed the "Dead Wings."

They had one young budding star surrounded by modest talent at best. Some decent scoring players, a lot of scrubs and were a mess.

They hired the best young guy they COULD in the business from a successful team where he had helped craft a Dynasty. They hired the best scouting and best coaching they could get and drafted key players, most notably some key Russians. (eww!!!! who wants them?}

They began taking shape and soon, they got the best coaching they coud muster and became dominant.

The steps taken added up to spending, meticulously choosing the best coaching and talent on and off the ice and not settling for fodder or hiring minor league scrubs.

They went Canada, US, Russia, Sweden.....wherever, looking only at impact. THEY DID NOT STICK WITH PAPA MILBURY'S WISE HOME STATE AS A LAW.

But this all started with a cr*ppy team in a cr*ppy area with a dead arena and one superstar talented player stuck there.

Who does this remind us of, well, aside from the brainpower and desire of the owner to get his thumb out of his arse?

Ilitch saw the fans and decided to change, to make it worthwhile to be a DRW fan.

Wang....."sit down and shut up" comes to mind.
I don't disagree with you, but isn't Mike Illitch the exception rather than the rule? For every Illitch, there's a ton of Wangs, Wirtzs, and Delaware Norths.

I'll see your John Spano and raise you a Bruce McNall.

MJF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
*No, it was a move made by a **** organization run by a clueless GM and a CHEAP ass owner. But yeah lets call it shrewd. Ridiculous. same as those who call fans "clowns" because we wouldn't be mad at JT for leaving. The only clowns here are those STILL drinking the kool aid. Enjoy another ****ing top 5 pick.
Did JT ask to leave? No. Why would you foolishly waste time here if there's no hope? Leave and come back when Wang sells or it turns. Why foolishly expect Wang to spend with the lowest revenue?

Go root for the Rangers. I hear they spend plenty and aren't cheap.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:00 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Did JT ask to leave? No. Why would you foolishly waste time here if there's no hope? Leave and come back when Wang sells or it turns. Why foolishly expect Wang to spend with the lowest revenue?

Go root for the Rangers. I hear they spend plenty and aren't cheap.
Dont tell me who to root for. I have had season tix for a looong time. So dont tell me who and what to root for. I have given this organization a lot of my hard earned money. All I ask in return is to ice a team that can COMPETE on a nightly basis and win. right now, thats not ahppeneing and it hasnt for a long time now. The clowns who rip people for thinking about him leaving are CLUELESS. I dont expect him to leave UNLESS after his contract is over and they still suck. He has too much loyalty to just up and leave. Eventually, it may happen like it happened to CBJ with Nash. But, Nash waited I guess it was about 10 years. Not saying JT will ever do that, but my point and others in here is that we wouldn't blame him if he did. Some here (not you) even wished for a career ending injury? Really? Classy. This kid has the weight of the franchise on his shoulders and yet gets ZERO help from management to succeed. Thats what pisses me off. They don't even try. And if Wang wants to make money he needs to put a product on the ice that people will go see. The real money is made in the second season. Something Isles havent been in in the last 7 YEARS, long time. He wants to make money he needs to ice an NHL team, not an AHL team with an AHL coach. That's a joke.

Last edited by IslesFanatic: 02-14-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old
02-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Dont tell me who to root for. I have had season tix for a looong time. So dont tell me who and what to root for. I have given this organization a lot of my hard earned money. All I ask in return is to ice a team that can COMPETE on a nightly basis and win. right now, thats not ahppeneing and it hasnt for a long time now. my point and others in here is that we wouldn't blame him if he did. Some here (not you) even wished for a career ending injury? Really? Classy. This kid has the weight of the franchise on his shoulders and yet gets ZERO help from management to succeed. Thats what pisses me off. They don't even try. And if Wang wants to make money he needs to put a product on the ice that people will go see. The real money is made in the second season. Something Isles havent been in in the last 7 YEARS, long time. He wants to make money he needs to ice an NHL team, not an AHL team with an AHL coach. That's a joke.
You don't seem too happy rooting for NYI so why not leave if no hope? How do you expect them to COMPETE and win with the lowest payroll because of the lowest revenue? Your hard earned low money paid doesn't compare with the corporate money that the division corporate teams of Flyers, NYR, Pitt and somewhat NJD make. You have unrealistic expectations.

They lost $16 mil last season and again are the lowest revenue team in the NHL per Forbes. This is with the lowest payroll. Where does this money you expect Wang to spend come from? If NVMC was sold out for 41 games plus 4 rounds of playoffs at box office prices (not discounted get in for a can of peas prices) they’d still lose money with a decent payroll. This is due to limited luxury boxes, club seating and corporate partners/support. There’s no incentive for Wang to spend and no revenue anyway. Can't ice an NHL team on AHL type revenue.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
The more I analyze the team's actions recently, the more I think they are about to be sold, or already have an agreement in principal to be sold. The Tim Thomas move will essentially allow the Isles to unload even more salary before the trade deadline. If the intent was to start spending in anticipation of putting a good product on the ice upon initial arrival in Brooklyn, then this action is contrary to that supposition.

Usually, for accounting purposes, a team's payroll will be brought down as low as possible just before a team is sold. I think that ultimately, Wang was willing to keep the team and spend some money if the Lighthouse Project was approved. Now, even if there is money to be made in Brooklyn, I think Wang's interests lie in real estate.

I predict that the team's sale will be announced this summer. And I think Ratner will have some sort of stake in the team. Makes too much sense. Steps down from his role at his own company, signs on as a consultant for the new coliseum development......
I too am on record as saying Wang will sell but I don't think it will be as soon as this summer. IMO it will be when the value of the franchise is higher upon the Brooklyn move or soon after. I don't expect Wang or any new owner to spend until the summer right before they move just like the Nets. The Thomas thing isn't indicative of a sale IMO but moreso current financial maintenance. You're right in that usually a team's payroll will be brought down as low as possible just before a team is sold but the payroll has been as low as possible for a few years now. I think Ratner or some partner conglomerate will be involved in the sale too.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:51 AM
2LeftSkates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
They lost $16 mil last season and again are the lowest revenue team in the NHL per Forbes. This is with the lowest payroll. Where does this money you expect Wang to spend come from? If NVMC was sold out for 41 games plus 4 rounds of playoffs at box office prices (not discounted get in for a can of peas prices) they’d still lose money with a decent payroll. This is due to limited luxury boxes, club seating and corporate partners/support. There’s no incentive for Wang to spend and no revenue anyway. Can't ice an NHL team on AHL type revenue.
If you own an NHL Team, you can be expected to ice an NHL quality team. I have no idea why you do not believe this to be the case, but he does not need "incentive". I do not care how much money he is losing on the Isles, sports team ownership is not always about making money. Charles has enjoyed rubbing elbows, although I wish he had aimed higher than DP and Yashin. Tavares is someone to get excited about, a centerpiece to build a team around. But the owner is bored, no big Tonka trucks are coming to make his dreams come true around the Coliseum.

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftSkates View Post
If you own an NHL Team, you can be expected to ice an NHL quality team. I have no idea why you do not believe this to be the case, but he does not need "incentive". I do not care how much money he is losing on the Isles, sports team ownership is not always about making money. Charles has enjoyed rubbing elbows, although I wish he had aimed higher than DP and Yashin. Tavares is someone to get excited about, a centerpiece to build a team around. But the owner is bored, no big Tonka trucks are coming to make his dreams come true around the Coliseum.
You missed the point. What he's expected to do legally is stay within the CBA guidelines. What he's expected to do by emotional fans is something else often irrational. An incentive to lose tons of money with no hope of return isn't much of an incentive. Based on the lowest revenue, tell us how he'll pay for an NHL quality team?

Old
02-15-2013, 03:16 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Bert, I agree that he has low revenue. But, he can make some revenue by icing a good team that people will come to watch. Playoffs=money. No playoffs = no money. In order to make money as a sports team the bottom line is winning. In order to do that you either need to spend money or spend the budgeted money you have smartly. right now isles arent doing either of those.

I know we are all frustrated and didn't mean to come off as nasty in my reponse to you. I will ALWAYS root for the Isles no matter what, but I am also as a fan allowed to voice my displeasure. You and others may not agree, but I know A LOT of fans that feel the same way. I feel like he is doing wrong by the players and the fans by not icing a winning team or heck even a team that can COMPETE NIGHTLY. I hope for everyone's sake that the spending starts this offseason. I don't think he can wait to get to BKLYN to start to spend.

I don't think I have unrealistic expectations. My expectations are to be able to root for a team that can compete and win. Thats what we all want as fans.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Bert, I agree that he has low revenue. But, he can make some revenue by icing a good team that people will come to watch. Playoffs=money. No playoffs = no money. In order to make money as a sports team the bottom line is winning. In order to do that you either need to spend money or spend the budgeted money you have smartly. right now isles arent doing either of those.

I know we are all frustrated and didn't mean to come off as nasty in my reponse to you. I will ALWAYS root for the Isles no matter what, but I am also as a fan allowed to voice my displeasure. You and others may not agree, but I know A LOT of fans that feel the same way. I feel like he is doing wrong by the players and the fans by not icing a winning team or heck even a team that can COMPETE NIGHTLY. I hope for everyone's sake that the spending starts this offseason. I don't think he can wait to get to BKLYN to start to spend.

I don't think I have unrealistic expectations. My expectations are to be able to root for a team that can compete and win. Thats what we all want as fans.
Thanks for the polite post. I already said how a better team would cost more and not bring in enough revenue not to lose money now and how some shouldn't expect gold from poverty so we'll just agree to disagree.

One day a new owner will be in Brooklyn and I'll be right with you with more realistc expectatons for the money.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:07 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

The Rain Group who is looking to buy the NYI wants to change the uniforms to resemble Brooklyn which also means new colors.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:20 AM
IslesFanatic707

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
The Rain Group who is looking to buy the NYI wants to change the uniforms to resemble Brooklyn which also means new colors.
Where are you getting this

IslesFanatic707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Got a source for that?

02-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic707 View Post
Where are you getting this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Got a source for that?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...partner-415016
Is this where you saw it BK?

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Isles Fan

Someone please help me conect the dots here.

The article talks about a group making investments in Chinese entities and bring them global. No mention of any Sport targets in the US nor any mention of any teams or locations. From this someone gleans that they are gonig to buy the NYI?

What am I missing here? Is there perhaps another item out there that has anything remotly to do with this group and the NYI?

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote