HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Southsiders treated horribly at Canucks-Wild Game

View Poll Results: What kind of atmosphere would you prefer at Canucks games?
Quiet to no noise 20 9.71%
Louder and full of energy 186 90.29%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-17-2013, 02:38 AM
  #326
Derp Kassian
Registered User
 
Derp Kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
Positive energy really helped the Canucks last game.. Oh wait.

Derp Kassian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:55 AM
  #327
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the beat View Post
That's fine, but earlier you agreed with someone saying that if someone goes to a game they should have the right to watch it in silence. And that's simply not going to happen unless we're siding with the gestapo security that tells people to sit down and shut up.

I would rather get thrown out of a game than stop cheering at the demand of "security". If there's any anger in any of my posts, it would be to that. The thought of those minimum wage rent-a-cops telling me how not to express my enjoyment of an event I played good money to attend boils my blood. Thankfully I'm from Saskatchewan, where it's not against the law to make noise at a game.
I definitely glazed over that part-- I strongly disagree with him about "having that right when you goto a game"-- But technically, going " solidarity!" doesn't have to be taken as specific agreement on all points-- For the most part, I was just relating with their like-minded unpopular approaches to enjoying hockey. But sure, I'll take that back.

I think there was probably some miscommunication here centered around AmazingNuck's comment in more ways than one. I also read your quote, "Then don't goto the game", as a comment on how you shouldn't goto games if aren't going to cheer, but looking back, I can see how that can also be read as "If you have a problem with it, don't goto the game," in light of your last few posts.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:29 AM
  #328
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,760
vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTheTerror View Post
The problem is that the tickets are going to people who don't deserve them. As a canucks fan this is sickening. corporate bob who doesnt give a **** about the game isnt even enjoying the game and is sleeping.

Its too bad... the crowd can help the team win... the positive energy is contagious...
So who deserves them? Broke Bob who wants tickets for free?

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:40 AM
  #329
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
So who deserves them? Broke Bob who wants tickets for free?
After reading this thread I guess the only solution is to have the arena filled with blow up dolls, speakers stuffed in there enlarged mouths, volume turned up to the best level as agreed upon by the players, playing tapes of motivational quotes with the odd you suck opposing team thrown in.

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:53 AM
  #330
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
After reading this thread I guess the only solution is to have the arena filled with blow up dolls, speakers stuffed in there enlarged mouths, volume turned up to the best level as agreed upon by the players, playing tapes of motivational quotes with the odd you suck opposing team thrown in.
Maybe Oh Behave discreetly tucked away behind Tilbury Ice is having a sale....

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:34 AM
  #331
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,760
vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
After reading this thread I guess the only solution is to have the arena filled with blow up dolls, speakers stuffed in there enlarged mouths, volume turned up to the best level as agreed upon by the players, playing tapes of motivational quotes with the odd you suck opposing team thrown in.
Nice

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:46 AM
  #332
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba
 
putridgasbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Comox Valley
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by the beat View Post
Of course, that's only reasonable. What's not reasonable is telling fans who are making a lot of noise to "quiet down". The fact that people are actually defending this action and citing "personal preference" as the authority with which to do so is ironic and idiotic. And it explains an awful lot about Vancouver sports fans.
Cheering should be because of the game not because you are hammered. The only cheering I see people having a problem with is the drunken idiots who really seem to think everyone else is on there plane. You know who finds drunks funny, other drunks.

When I pay big bucks (well at least for me it is) to see a game, I want to be involved with the game and cheer and ewww and awww because of what is happening on the ice. What I don't like is the guys who relate having fun and cheering with drinking a case of beer and then wonder why no one else finds their humour or obnoxiousness, funny or compelling. No time or patience for that crap. So again I want to cheer what is happening on the ice not what is happening in the stands.

putridgasbag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:58 AM
  #333
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba
 
putridgasbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Comox Valley
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTheTerror View Post
The problem is that the tickets are going to people who don't deserve them. As a canucks fan this is sickening. corporate bob who doesnt give a **** about the game isnt even enjoying the game and is sleeping.

Its too bad... the crowd can help the team win... the positive energy is contagious...
Deserve them?! Please do tell what makes someone worthy of tickets?

I keep hearing about the corporate crowd, so who in your mind is the corporate crowd. I know a couple of people with tickets in the lower bowl and I doubt they would ever be considered corporate. Heck there is a good chance that they have had tickets for longer than you have drawn a breath on this planet. Probably people that you are complaining about. They have been to a lot of games and I would doubt they would stand and yell mindlessly in the middle of a game just because some guy 3 seats over and 3 sheets to the wind wants them to.

putridgasbag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:39 AM
  #334
Crows*
 
Crows*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
Deserve them?! Please do tell what makes someone worthy of tickets?

I keep hearing about the corporate crowd, so who in your mind is the corporate crowd. I know a couple of people with tickets in the lower bowl and I doubt they would ever be considered corporate. Heck there is a good chance that they have had tickets for longer than you have drawn a breath on this planet. Probably people that you are complaining about. They have been to a lot of games and I would doubt they would stand and yell mindlessly in the middle of a game just because some guy 3 seats over and 3 sheets to the wind wants them to.
Corporate tickets. For example. My company has 4 lower bowl season tickets. You can apply at work to take certain clients to the game.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:58 AM
  #335
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
Cheering should be because of the game not because you are hammered. The only cheering I see people having a problem with is the drunken idiots who really seem to think everyone else is on there plane. You know who finds drunks funny, other drunks.

When I pay big bucks (well at least for me it is) to see a game, I want to be involved with the game and cheer and ewww and awww because of what is happening on the ice. What I don't like is the guys who relate having fun and cheering with drinking a case of beer and then wonder why no one else finds their humour or obnoxiousness, funny or compelling. No time or patience for that crap. So again I want to cheer what is happening on the ice not what is happening in the stands.
Picturing you go "Ewww!!" at hockey plays now..

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:59 AM
  #336
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
Deserve them?! Please do tell what makes someone worthy of tickets?

I keep hearing about the corporate crowd, so who in your mind is the corporate crowd. I know a couple of people with tickets in the lower bowl and I doubt they would ever be considered corporate. Heck there is a good chance that they have had tickets for longer than you have drawn a breath on this planet. Probably people that you are complaining about. They have been to a lot of games and I would doubt they would stand and yell mindlessly in the middle of a game just because some guy 3 seats over and 3 sheets to the wind wants them to.
I think the word he's looking for is "appreciate" them. And yes, these people do exist, even if your friend happens to not be one of them-- Not sure where you were going with that.

Some people goto games because they have the money and it's a social event that's beneficial to feign interest in for some ulterior social/business motive.

Although I do agree with you to some extent-- I highly doubt that they're overpowering the crowd and keeping them silent on their own. Look around the stands, there really aren't that many of them. It's obvious that the regular families are quiet as well.


Last edited by Shareefruck: 02-17-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:17 PM
  #337
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,521
vCash: 500
IMO our fan base, at least at games, is uneducated about hockey and/or are not paying attention. I remember cheering for every clear on the PK when I started going to games... what happened to that? Our crowd doesn't even cheer hits anymore. It's sad.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:03 PM
  #338
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.
 
The Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Centre Ice
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
IMO our fan base, at least at games, is uneducated about hockey and/or are not paying attention. I remember cheering for every clear on the PK when I started going to games... what happened to that? Our crowd doesn't even cheer hits anymore. It's sad.
To be fair, this team doesn't hit like they used to.

The team plays a very calculated, low-risk game. There are very few big momentum swings and when there are, you usually hear the crowd perk up and get into the game.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:12 PM
  #339
AmazingNuck
Registered User
 
AmazingNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the beat View Post
Are you kidding me?!

He has every right to cheer his ass off, just as you have every right to sit in silence. If you're not prepared to put up with people cheering for their team, then stay home. I assure, the cheering fan has no problem with you sitting in silence.

Is this a joke we're having now? Are people actually like this in Vancouver?
There is a difference between cheering appropriately and cheering inappropriately. They clearly do not have the right to cheer their ***** off if they are being shut down by security. I have no problem with cheering and the expected crowd noise, but anybody doing so excessively is a nuisance and should be shut down. Like I said, I prefer the silence, so I do stay at home. If the stadium were more quiet and well-behaved, I'd probably go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
w-w-wat

If you go to an arena to watch a game you can reasonably expect that other people will react loudly to the events that are happening on the ice. Why? Because you're in a sports entertainment venue along with 20,000 other people. If you didn't pay for seats in a "peaceful and quiet" section, then noise IS the norm. It's like going to an EDM concert then complaining there are people screaming besides you.
Yes, I can. However, if some tool is screaming his ass off for missing the net after a shot, that is a nuisance. If some drunkards are banging on the glass and making a mockery of themselves, then that's a nuisance.

Again, I've said that I prefer the silence so I stay at home. I have no problem that the arena makes a lot of noise, but if the team is going to charge me 500$ so that my girlfriend and I can watch a hockey game, then I expect that we can watch the game the way we want to. Of course, that's not realistic, as 20000 other people will have paid a similar amount of money. I understand that I am not entitled to silence at the arena, but I am entitled to make a choice of whether or not I go, and I choose not to go.


The way I see it is different from the two of you. The two of you see it as "I should be able to do what I want," whereas I see it as "what's best for everyone?" If shouting like a lunatic makes your night- even at the expense of those around you- then congratulations- you are happy, but you've probably just negatively affected about a dozen of others' nights.


Last edited by AmazingNuck: 02-17-2013 at 01:17 PM.
AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:14 PM
  #340
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the beat View Post
I assure, the cheering fan has no problem with you sitting in silence.
And yet, every week, like clockwork, there's a thread started by a cheering fan complaining about the non-cheering fans.

Like, for example, the thread the above post was posted in.

  Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:21 PM
  #341
AmazingNuck
Registered User
 
AmazingNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
After reading this thread I guess the only solution is to have the arena filled with blow up dolls, speakers stuffed in there enlarged mouths, volume turned up to the best level as agreed upon by the players, playing tapes of motivational quotes with the odd you suck opposing team thrown in.
Well, the poll is 10:1, so if you're only taking 3 or 4 peoples' opinions and projecting it onto thousands of others, then you have clearly picked the wrong opinions.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:41 PM
  #342
AmazingNuck
Registered User
 
AmazingNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the beat View Post
Of course, that's only reasonable. What's not reasonable is telling fans who are making a lot of noise to "quiet down". The fact that people are actually defending this action and citing "personal preference" as the authority with which to do so is ironic and idiotic. And it explains an awful lot about Vancouver sports fans.


What the hell is this about "explaining an awful lot about Vancouver sports fans?" The poll is 10 : 1. TEN TO ONE. That means for every one person who prefers the silence, there are TEN people who prefer the crowd noise. I seriously do not understand how this doesn't make sense to you.

There are two or three people defending the preference of quietness. How you project that onto an entire city's fanbase is beyond me. If you want to disagree with me, go ahead, but to lump an entire group of people based on three peoples' opinions- despite the fact that there are a lot more defending your side- is just plain wrong.


Yes, asking somebody to quiet down at a sports game is reasonable. If a person's night is being ruined by another's noise level, is he unreasonable to ask the noise maker to quiet down so that he can enjoy his own night? The loud fan can enjoy the game much more in silence than the person who asked if the person who asked has to endure the loud fan's night.

There is no authority, there is only personal preference and logic. Logically, if two fans are watching the same game and one's cheering is ruining the other's night, then the non-cheering fan is reasonable in asking the cheering fan to quiet down. If both watch in silence, then both can still enjoy the game; if the cheering fan does not stop, however, then only the cheering fan can enjoy the game.

The question you have to ask yourself is: is me cheering really worth ruining others' nights? I bet your answer is "well they should deal with it because they knew what they expected coming into the game" and that's a fine answer.

EDIT: Actually, there is an authority- the security. If they tell you to quiet down, it's because that's what their bosses have told them to do. Those bosses have been told by their own bosses to do this, and so forth.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:46 PM
  #343
the beat
cursum perficio
 
the beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: canmore/sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
And yet, every week, like clockwork, there's a thread started by a cheering fan complaining about the non-cheering fans.

Like, for example, the thread the above post was posted in.
Actually, if you'd read the OP, this thread is about security and other fans telling the Southsiders to sit down and shut up. It is not about the Southsiders complaining that other fans were not cheering. There is a fundamental difference there.

the beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:47 PM
  #344
the beat
cursum perficio
 
the beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: canmore/sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
What the hell is this about "explaining an awful lot about Vancouver sports fans?" The poll is 10 : 1. TEN TO ONE. That means for every one person who prefers the silence, there are TEN people who prefer the crowd noise. I seriously do not understand how this doesn't make sense to you.

There are two or three people defending the preference of quietness. How you project that onto an entire city's fanbase is beyond me. If you want to disagree with me, go ahead, but to lump an entire group of people based on three peoples' opinions- despite the fact that there are a lot more defending your side- is just plain wrong.


Yes, asking somebody to quiet down at a sports game is reasonable. If a person's night is being ruined by another's noise level, is he unreasonable to ask the noise maker to quiet down so that he can enjoy his own night? The loud fan can enjoy the game much more in silence than the person who asked if the person who asked has to endure the loud fan's night.

There is no authority, there is only personal preference and logic. Logically, if two fans are watching the same game and one's cheering is ruining the other's night, then the non-cheering fan is reasonable in asking the cheering fan to quiet down. If both watch in silence, then both can still enjoy the game; if the cheering fan does not stop, however, then only the cheering fan can enjoy the game.

The question you have to ask yourself is: is me cheering really worth ruining others' nights? I bet your answer is "well they should deal with it because they knew what they expected coming into the game" and that's a fine answer.

EDIT: Actually, there is an authority- the security. If they tell you to quiet down, it's because that's what their bosses have told them to do. Those bosses have been told by their own bosses to do this, and so forth.
Sorry to ruffle your feathers. It explains a lot about Vancouver fans that attend games. Sorry to ruin your day like that.

the beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:48 PM
  #345
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,760
vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
What the hell is this about "explaining an awful lot about Vancouver sports fans?" The poll is 10 : 1. TEN TO ONE. That means for every one person who prefers the silence, there are TEN people who prefer the crowd noise. I seriously do not understand how this doesn't make sense to you.

There are two or three people defending the preference of quietness. How you project that onto an entire city's fanbase is beyond me. If you want to disagree with me, go ahead, but to lump an entire group of people based on three peoples' opinions- despite the fact that there are a lot more defending your side- is just plain wrong.


Yes, asking somebody to quiet down at a sports game is reasonable. If a person's night is being ruined by another's noise level, is he unreasonable to ask the noise maker to quiet down so that he can enjoy his own night? The loud fan can enjoy the game much more in silence than the person who asked if the person who asked has to endure the loud fan's night.

There is no authority, there is only personal preference and logic. Logically, if two fans are watching the same game and one's cheering is ruining the other's night, then the non-cheering fan is reasonable in asking the cheering fan to quiet down. If both watch in silence, then both can still enjoy the game; if the cheering fan does not stop, however, then only the cheering fan can enjoy the game.

The question you have to ask yourself is: is me cheering really worth ruining others' nights? I bet your answer is "well they should deal with it because they knew what they expected coming into the game" and that's a fine answer.

EDIT: Actually, there is an authority- the security. If they tell you to quiet down, it's because that's what their bosses have told them to do. Those bosses have been told by their own bosses to do this, and so forth.
I have yet to meet any fan, those that even prefer quiet that are bothered by the crowd cheering a hit, goal or even a chance.

It's the stuff in between, the drunken yelling, lets do the wave etc... that i'm not a fan of.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:51 PM
  #346
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
Well, the poll is 10:1, so if you're only taking 3 or 4 peoples' opinions and projecting it onto thousands of others, then you have clearly picked the wrong opinions.
Yes you are correct, I was directing the post at the extreme few that have filled the thread with what seems to be emotion based reasoning. It was a post meant in jest.

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:54 PM
  #347
AmazingNuck
Registered User
 
AmazingNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
I have yet to meet any fan, those that even prefer quiet that are bothered by the crowd cheering a hit, goal or even a chance.

It's the stuff in between, the drunken yelling, lets do the wave etc... that i'm not a fan of.
I spoke on the context of excessive noise-making, such as the drunken or excessive yelling. I enjoy the crowd noise when it's appropriate.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:58 PM
  #348
Karl Hungus
Registered User
 
Karl Hungus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
What the hell is this about "explaining an awful lot about Vancouver sports fans?" The poll is 10 : 1. TEN TO ONE. That means for every one person who prefers the silence, there are TEN people who prefer the crowd noise. I seriously do not understand how this doesn't make sense to you.

There are two or three people defending the preference of quietness. How you project that onto an entire city's fanbase is beyond me. If you want to disagree with me, go ahead, but to lump an entire group of people based on three peoples' opinions- despite the fact that there are a lot more defending your side- is just plain wrong.


Yes, asking somebody to quiet down at a sports game is reasonable. If a person's night is being ruined by another's noise level, is he unreasonable to ask the noise maker to quiet down so that he can enjoy his own night? The loud fan can enjoy the game much more in silence than the person who asked if the person who asked has to endure the loud fan's night.

There is no authority, there is only personal preference and logic. Logically, if two fans are watching the same game and one's cheering is ruining the other's night, then the non-cheering fan is reasonable in asking the cheering fan to quiet down. If both watch in silence, then both can still enjoy the game; if the cheering fan does not stop, however, then only the cheering fan can enjoy the game.

The question you have to ask yourself is: is me cheering really worth ruining others' nights? I bet your answer is "well they should deal with it because they knew what they expected coming into the game" and that's a fine answer.

EDIT: Actually, there is an authority- the security. If they tell you to quiet down, it's because that's what their bosses have told them to do. Those bosses have been told by their own bosses to do this, and so forth.
Sports teams have a culture though. At least the good ones do and it helps people get engaged in the game.

I would agree that having the loudest guy in the building sitting right behind you could get annoying, especially if he's just doing it for the sake of being loud. But I don't think Rogers Arena is quiet because people are cheering too quietly. The problem is that too many people make no noise at all and are totally passive observers. 18,000 people doing a "golf clap" will sound a lot louder than one section of Southsiders singing at the top of their lungs.

Usually it's so quiet that I feel like 18,000 people can hear everything I say. If the general level of cheering was a little louder I think you would see more people getting involved. People get intimidated about cheering when it's so quiet you can hear yourself echoing across the arena.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:01 PM
  #349
the beat
cursum perficio
 
the beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: canmore/sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
I spoke on the context of excessive noise-making, such as the drunken or excessive yelling. I enjoy the crowd noise when it's appropriate.
The thing is, what's "appropriate" is totally subjective. In Regina, Winnipeg, Montreal, all NFL stadia and all European football stadia, making ridiculous amounts of noise is "appropriate". It just so happens that these places have amazing crowd atmospheres.

Just because Vancouver has an abundance of people who prefer to watch a game in awkward silence, does not mean that it is the accepted norm. In fact in the world of sports it is the exception, and the reputation of terrible crowds in Vancouver reflect this. Don't mistake your own opinion for objectivity.

the beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:02 PM
  #350
the beat
cursum perficio
 
the beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: canmore/sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Sports teams have a culture though. At least the good ones do and it helps people get engaged in the game.

I would agree that having the loudest guy in the building sitting right behind you could get annoying, especially if he's just doing it for the sake of being loud. But I don't think Rogers Arena is quiet because people are cheering too quietly. The problem is that too many people make no noise at all and are totally passive observers. 18,000 people doing a "golf clap" will sound a lot louder than one section of Southsiders singing at the top of their lungs.

Usually it's so quiet that I feel like 18,000 people can hear everything I say. If the general level of cheering was a little louder I think you would see more people getting involved. People get intimidated about cheering when it's so quiet you can hear yourself echoing across the arena.
Hear hear.

the beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.