HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto Gunnarson to Edmonton for 1st

Old
02-17-2013, 11:23 AM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
He'd probably fit in on the 3rd pairing above Ballard for the Canucks but he's soft as a fluffed pillow and has no offence at all.
Ballard has played very well this year, Gunnar won't beat him out.

He'd probably compete with Garrison as the 3rd pairing LD - Garrison has the better shot but Gunnar is skating better.

kthsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:24 AM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Yes, he is. He's a young top four defender and the value of such pieces is very high on the trade market.
1st round picks are not thrown around like they use to. Especially if the team is not sure about making the playoffs because there is a slight chance of winning the draft lottery.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Ballard has played very well this year, Gunnar won't beat him out.

He'd probably compete with Garrison as the 3rd pairing LD - Garrison has the better shot but Gunnar is skating better.
Gunnar is still better.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Semantics

Are people in this thread for real? If Kaberle and Versteeg were both worth first round picks plus more, then Gunnarsson is easily worth a first straight up. Maybe not a top 10 pick, so the Oilers don't take this, but he could certainly fetch a pick in the 20-30 range.

Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

I wonder if GM's are using this thread to get ideas

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:39 AM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Toronto best D from last year a solid solid player with poise and a great puck mover who is responsible in his own end. Great skater

for Edmontons 1st...

Seems like good value..he is worth far more than a 2nd and Edmonton's drafting at # 1 overall days are over now..there a disaster on D and Gunnarsson would become top pairing right away..
Counter from the Oilers . Our 2 seconds and you 3 rd pick back to us

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Regina Pat
Who Cares?

I'm a Leafs fan and I know Gunnar isn't worth that.

Regina Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:40 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
So that is one trade that every Leaf fan refers to. Now there are so many factors at play here:
-quality of the draft
-Nsh needing to make a run based on Suter being UFA and Weber being RFA etc
-quality of playoff field etc

Just because it happened last year doesn't mean it will happen this year. Go look at all the trades that have happened so far this yr. Legit NHL players are going for 3rd, 5th rd picks. So based on recent events I would say his value is a lot lower than a 1st rd pick. I can't wait to revisit these threads after the deadline and see people's reactions to what these players values really were. History tells me when deep drafts like 2003 or 2008 come around, top picks are not moved very much (especially at the deadline). This draft is lauded for its quality so I see the same thing happening....
Quality of the draft is a BS excuse... every year we hear "this draft is deep" in some way or another. People fall in love with the players they watch all year and proclaim them to somehow be better than the ones they loved last year... just like fans do with players on their team. Nobody knew in 2003 that those late 1st rounders would be what they are... if they did, Hugh Jessiman wouldn't have gone before all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
I see so many people say this exact thing and it makes me laugh so much. The Preds overpaid cause they thought it would push them over the top to win it all. It didnt work out for them and I would bet they regret making that deal. If Gunnarsson was the kind of guy that would push you over the top then maybe it might be worth it. But IMO he would be a depth guy for a team looking to make a good run in the playoffs. He will not get you a 1st.
There is always a team that needs to push... several actually. The leafs were offered a 1st for Clarke MacArthur... neither MacArthur or Gaustad are pushing anyone over the top. The 1st round picks are severely overrated on here. It's gambling... a chip with a chance to win your $1000 still has a far more likely chance to land you something around or worse than what you're giving up in the end.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:58 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
Quincy and Kaberle were traded for 1sts.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:10 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Quincy and Kaberle were traded for 1sts.
so both got traded for a top ten pick?--Both went for near end of first round picks

Two things

1) The Kaberle trade was Boston getting the final piece to the cup run--see 2
2) As much we Bash kaberle, he spent ten years playing good hockey on a bad teams and excelled in international compatition

Gunnerson is not as good all around as Kaberle was

And most are at a loss to explain Red Wings love in with Quincey

we are not talking about a late first round pick, we are talking about a pick that looks to be in the top ten--so for those posters using Kaberle and Quincey--take a look at where the draft picks were and where the teams were when the trades got made. Oilers have 9 NHL d-men in and around the team and they have about 6 or 7 d-men in the system--they do not need to get another none physical d-man

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Deal Oilers 1st in 2015
Done. I always wanted McDavid

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:21 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
Really?

Weber 2nd round
Subban 2nd round
Letang 3rd round
Yandle 4th round
Hamonic 2nd round

Picks are pretty important. Even later round picks. Gunnarson isnt worth a first. IMO a 2nd
Why don't you look at the percentages before you cherry pick to suit your cause.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Gunnarson is not fair value for a top 5 pick.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hawaiinleaf

Okay oh boy....

My proposal was based on several facts

1. Edmonton has started to improve significantly and there pick is not going to be top 10 so the idea of dealing the top pick is not reality its dealing a mid first

2. Edmonton's D is trash as it stands right now outside of 2 players that leaves 5 holes, don't be giving me this player is good and that guy is here next year rubbish your D sucks and it shows game in and game out. Even your own writers are stressing dealing players for D

3. Gunnarsson would improve your D immediately and likely your draft position would become further from top 10

4. He is a mature player not a kid who will make mistakes, your D needs experience thats not to old and he is a reliable solid top 4 D

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:30 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Not giving a 1st for Gunner, maybe a 2nd but not a 1st. I want to give it another 7 games to see how the defense either improves are doesn't. Then we will go from there. Seeing what dmen have gone through already Ellerby, Fistric I don't see Gunner getting a big return. Every team has players like him, it is the top end dmen that teams want.
Carl Gunnarsson is miles ahead of guys like Ellerby and Fistric though. Gunnar may not be worth a late 1st round pick, and certainly isn't worth Edmonton's 1st, but he's worth much more then a mid-round pick. He's heavily relied on to play the toughest minutes in Toronto and plays those minutes consistently well. A quick glance at the advanced stats suggest the entire Leafs D is sheltered by Phaneuf and Gunnarsson. In due time he'll establish himself as a valuable commodity. He's easily a top-4 d-man and teams pay for those accordingly.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:31 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Okay oh boy....

2. Edmonton's D is trash as it stands right now outside of 2 players that leaves 5 holes, don't be giving me this player is good and that guy is here next year rubbish your D sucks and it shows game in and game out. Even your own writers are stressing dealing players for D
What a load of crap. Just stop.

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Reacher Gilt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Why don't you look at the percentages before you cherry pick to suit your cause.
It was about the best possible outcome of a mid second, so percentages are irrelevant.

Why don't you look what he quoted?

Reacher Gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Gunnarson is worth a late first early 2nd imo. But not a top 20 pick. The leafs would need to add to this trade to get the Oils 1st. I expect their first to be top 10 this year.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Okay oh boy....

1. Edmonton has started to improve significantly and there pick is not going to be top 10 so the idea of dealing the top pick is not reality its dealing a mid first

3. Gunnarsson would improve your D immediately and likely your draft position would become further from top 10

4. He is a mature player not a kid who will make mistakes, your D needs experience thats not to old and he is a reliable solid top 4 D
1) Edmonton has a serious shortage of center depth and our recent injuries highlight that. 1 more significant injury and the pick could easily be top 10.

2) I would pick Smid-Petry and Schultz-Schultz over Gunnarson every day of the week so don't trash our defense just because you made a bad proposal.

3) Gunnarson would improve our bottom pairing yes...but that's not worth trading a 1st which could easily be top 10.

4) Smid and N.Schultz provide plenty of vet leadership in our D. Gunnar does not make enough difference to warrant this trade.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:44 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
1) Edmonton has a serious shortage of center depth and our recent injuries highlight that. 1 more significant injury and the pick could easily be top 10.

2) I would pick Smid-Petry and Schultz-Schultz over Gunnarson every day of the week so don't trash our defense just because you made a bad proposal.

3) Gunnarson would improve our bottom pairing yes...but that's not worth trading a 1st which could easily be top 10.

4) Smid and N.Schultz provide plenty of vet leadership in our D. Gunnar does not make enough difference to warrant this trade.
He may not be a clear upgrade from the guys you mention but on a squad without a legit#1 you're going to need good defensive depth. And I wouldn't be so sure that he's a bottom pairing defenseman on Edmonton's D either. You would be surprised.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:45 PM
mohare

How about oilers first conditional on them making the playoffs, otherwise second and third rounders.

mohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:47 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohare View Post
How about oilers first conditional on them making the playoffs, otherwise second and third rounders.
Nothing wrong with that from a Leafs fan's POV but really, I'd rather just hold on to Gunnarsson and let him evolve in a Maple Leafs uniform rather than elsewhere for just a pick. Ship Liles out instead.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
To

EDM 1st Round Pick (2013)

To

Jake Gardiner

Gardiner-Schultz.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:55 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
To

EDM 1st Round Pick (2013)

To

Jake Gardiner

Gardiner-Schultz.
What would Edmonton be adding to that first round pick?

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
What would Edmonton be adding to that first round pick?
A negative second round pick.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote