HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

MPS vs Jordan Schroeder

View Poll Results: MPS vs Jordan Schroeder
MPS 115 45.82%
Jordan Schroeder 136 54.18%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-17-2013, 02:02 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
You have to also take into account that MPS would most likely not be killing penalties here either. I agree and love Paajarvi's game, I actually think he will be better than Schroeder and voted accordingly, I am just clearing up commen misconceptions about Schroeder
It's hard to say, I'm not the biggest fan of Viggy and how he treats young talent but MPS would be more likely to get PK time than Jordan based on his size and position IMO.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:10 AM
Sergei Shirokov

MPS wouldn't be doing as well on our team as Schroeder is.

Lets just leave it at that.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:13 AM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

You wouldn't know Schroeder is 5'8 based on how he plays.

And Schroeder is easily better than Hodgson on defense. On offense, Coho definitely has more skill, but Schroeder has great IQ, his saucers and passes are sick, incredibly fast and is built like a tank. He's extremely strong.

Schroeder has a lethal wrist shot in the AHL that hasn't translated to the NHL, yet. We can thank Craig MacTavish for molding Schroeder into the TWF player he is. MG was talking about how he was really impressed with Schroeder's development under MacT periodically throughout the 11-12 season.

Last edited by Luuuongo: 02-17-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:14 AM
lawrence

just loving Hardyvan123 responding 14 times in a poll that is Canucks related and saying negative stuff about that player. Just like he's doing in the Sedins Zetterberg poll. Its like you take things so personal. IN his mind, JOhnny Boychuk is probably better then Dan Hamhius because he has a stanley cup ring. Unreal. Hfboards.com really ftw. Just make your point once, maybe twice and move on.

I'm calling it right now. Schroeder is going to be a better player this season and in the future then MPS. This is something I will not say a the beggining of the season, but Schroeders 11 games has been very promising. MPS for one wouldn't even crack our line up right now. Goal scorer turned checker, as the commentator said tonight cbc, quite hilarious actually.

Quote:
Why is it that no one has addressed the 8 non playoff teams compared to 3 that Schroeder has played against at this point BTW?
cause no one really cares as much as you do. Just vote and get out. Who the hell cares if Schroeder wins. It's just a poll. You know it has nothing to do with him playing non playoff teams. If you flat out ask me, Jason Garrison is quite a dissappoint me to a and a lot of Canucks fans. Grossly overpaid. We won't lie. Schroeder has been playing pretty good. Very solid both ends of the rink.

Quote:

MPS wouldn't even make our line up right now.

lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:18 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
MPS is bigger plain and simple. he has the size and speed to play on the PK in the NHL, something he already does do.

His size and success at various levels, compared to Schroeder is why I'd rather have him but like I said confidence appears to be a factor with MPS right now.

Jordan isn't going to make it as a PK guy as his size, FO% 42.3% isn't going to let him excel there, it's top 6 or nothing.

Jordan has played in exactly 11 NHL games right now (and only 3 games against teams that made the playoffs in 12), let's see a bigger sample before we anoint him the winner here okay.

Size means nothing if a player refuses to use it, which MPS is guilty of.

For a long time it was believed that Schroeder would make it as a top6er or not at all, but that changed just before MacTavish took over the Wolves. Schroeder was used on the PK and he was not sheltered. If a guy like Scott Nichol can carve out a career as a bottom6er, being only 5'7", then a player with defensive hockey sense+skating+good face offs (of which he has historically been good), can do the same.

I do agree with the argument of sample size though. A lot of time to see what's what.

Quote:
I'm well aware of waivers, I guess the Canucks thought Ebbett might get scooped up by another team?

Are you also aware that Jordan was told that he needed to dominate at the AHL level to gain a spot with the team, Gillis has been quoted saying as much and Jordan hardly dominated at the AHL level.

Who knows with the hockey cliches, we always here the best guys earn their way into the lineup regardless of other things.

And my personal favorite, that Viggy flips a coin to see who is starting in net. Do you believe those things as well just because people say them?

Cody Hodgson plays PK minutes and Jordan doesn't, as for the relationship between Cody and AV well it was poisoned pretty early on as I'm sure you would agree on that.

As for Jordan being a top 6 guy, he is going to find out pretty quickly what Cody knew that with Hank and Ryan in front of him there is no room for Jordan in the top 6 and with no PK time and less PP time what is that going to leave him with?

Schroeder has averaged 14.24min to this point. Henrik about 20min. Usually, it goes 20, 20 and 15min, if you have 3 good centres on a team. I expect Kesler to get to 20 min, which would leave Schroeder about where is, which is fine.

To put the point about AHL/NHL production in perspective: Schroeder has scored at a better PPG clip than Hodgson has in the AHL. Even judging each prospect at the same age, over a similar sample size of games. Further, compared to Hodgson's first 13 games, Schroeder has kept pace. Meanwhile, he's played against stronger quality of competition while doing so.

What type of 3rd line LW do you think MPS can be?

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:23 AM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
I'm well aware of waivers, I guess the Canucks thought Ebbett might get scooped up by another team?

Are you also aware that Jordan was told that he needed to dominate at the AHL level to gain a spot with the team, Gillis has been quoted saying as much and Jordan hardly dominated at the AHL level.

Who knows with the hockey cliches, we always here the best guys earn their way into the lineup regardless of other things.

And my personal favorite, that Viggy flips a coin to see who is starting in net. Do you believe those things as well just because people say them?

Cody Hodgson plays PK minutes and Jordan doesn't, as for the relationship between Cody and AV well it was poisoned pretty early on as I'm sure you would agree on that.

As for Jordan being a top 6 guy, he is going to find out pretty quickly what Cody knew that with Hank and Ryan in front of him there is no room for Jordan in the top 6 and with no PK time and less PP time what is that going to leave him with?
Last season towards the end, MG said he was really impressed with Schroeder and was going to give Schroeder a look in the NHL. It never happened, but he never exactly ripped the AHL while getting the praise. He saw the transformation of Schroeder under MacT.

Schroeder's peak is likely a 2nd line C if he reaches it. His size really isn't an issue with the way he plays. He can outmuscle players bigger than him and like I said above, great IQ and slick passing.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:29 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
just loving Hardyvan123 responding 14 times in a poll that is Canucks related and saying negative stuff about that player. Just like he's doing in the Sedins Zetterberg poll. Its like you take things so personal. IN his mind, JOhnny Boychuk is probably better then Dan Hamhius because he has a stanley cup ring. Unreal. Hfboards.com really ftw. Just make your point once, maybe twice and move on.

I'm calling it right now. Schroeder is going to be a better player this season and in the future then MPS. This is something I will not say a the beggining of the season, but Schroeders 11 games has been very promising. MPS for one wouldn't even crack our line up right now. Goal scorer turned checker, as the commentator said tonight cbc, quite hilarious actually.

cause no one really cares as much as you do. Just vote and get out. Who the hell cares if Schroeder wins. It's just a poll. You know it has nothing to do with him playing non playoff teams. If you flat out ask me, Jason Garrison is quite a dissappoint me to a and a lot of Canucks fans. Grossly overpaid. We won't lie. Schroeder has been playing pretty good. Very solid both ends of the rink.

MPS wouldn't even make our line up right now.
Great you got an opinion and don't agree with me, come back here after 22 games (that's 11 more games against better teams and with Kesler back) and let's look and see how they stack up.

If competition and the type of teams he plays against matters it will show up and will be a good thing for the Canucks but if he isn't as good and I point it out I'll be negative right?

Just for the record Dan is much better than Johnny, why did you even bring up such a comment like that, it shows on you dude.

Kassian has a much better future than Jordan or MPS, mainly because he bring a physical element. but I would take Pacoritty over him, must mean I hate the Canucks right?

Better not ask me what I think of Raymond though I might tell you that he isn't Pavel Bure (yes the guy he was being mentioned in the same breath as by some Canuck commentators in his 1st training camp).

Old
02-17-2013, 02:51 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Size means nothing if a player refuses to use it, which MPS is guilty of.

For a long time it was believed that Schroeder would make it as a top6er or not at all, but that changed just before MacTavish took over the Wolves. Schroeder was used on the PK and he was not sheltered. If a guy like Scott Nichol can carve out a career as a bottom6er, being only 5'7", then a player with defensive hockey sense+skating+good face offs (of which he has historically been good), can do the same.

I do agree with the argument of sample size though. A lot of time to see what's what.

Jordan had a good night on face offs against the Stars going 7-4 but that's part of his 42.3% as well. with Manny out now I would guess that Kesler is going to take the majority of defensive zone draws but time will tell on that front.

The Sedins don't play the PK and have been aging pretty fast the last couple of years so if Jordan is really as good defensively and on the PK that everyone is saying then AV would be well advised to use him there if nothing else to keep Kesler fresh for the playoffs as he has broken down 2 years in a row now.

Quote:
Schroeder has averaged 14.24min to this point. Henrik about 20min. Usually, it goes 20, 20 and 15min, if you have 3 good centres on a team. I expect Kesler to get to 20 min, which would leave Schroeder about where is, which is fine.
In Kesler's 1st game back, and with Jordan having played well until then his ES time remained the same at 10:47 but his PP time went down from 3:36 to 1:34 and he had a minus 2 game. A bad game against the Blues will not help him he needs a rebound night. we will all find out really soon how it plays out.

[
Quote:
To put the point about AHL/NHL production in perspective: Schroeder has scored at a better PPG clip than Hodgson has in the AHL. Even judging each prospect at the same age, over a similar sample size of games. Further, compared to Hodgson's first 13 games, Schroeder has kept pace. Meanwhile, he's played against stronger quality of competition while doing so.
Do you mean 1st 13 NHL games not sure what you are referring to here.

Also the production for both guys in the minors was less than expected but at least Cody had an excuse of all that time off with and part of the PPG thing is spiked by the late season burst that Jordan had in 10 which he hasn't come close to replicating since then.

It's neither here or there but I like Cody and think he will have a much better career than Jordan will.

Quote:
What type of 3rd line LW do you think MPS can be?
Honestly it's too early to tell, if he doesn't get his confidence back he could be one of those guys that goes to Europe where his lack of physical play won't matter as much in the Swiss league or KHL.

I still like the skill set and project of MPS more than Schroeder but if he doesn't get his confidence back it won't matter much.

As much as we don't like to admit it luck has a lot to do with these things, like does Jordan even get a sniff of the NHL if Kesler is healthy to start the season and Manny didn't have that horrific eye injury (he has never been the same since).

Lots of guys have seized opportunities and other like Brett Sterling never got a fair shake from Atlanta of all teams who had nothing to lose by giving the guy a legit chance.

Last edited by Hardyvan123: 02-17-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old
02-17-2013, 04:00 AM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Quote:
Lots and lots of stuff.
So...uh...Schroeder isn't better than Paajarvi because he's not better than Hodgson, or he plays on a good team, or...????

Yeah sure, bud.

------------------------------------------

Schroeder's greatest contribution to the Canucks this year has yet to be aired in this thread, so I might as well do it.

He's better than MPS at this stage because despite his small stature, he's very solidly built. So much so that when he's on the ice, the density of his body affects the Earth's magnetic field in such a way that the semicircular canals in Mason Raymond's inner ears align themselves slightly better, allowing him to retain his balance. When on a line with Schroeder, Raymond is able to remain upright and skating rather than sailing helplessly into the boards. So help me, Raymond is actually looking like a top 6 forward on a line with Schroeder this year.

MPS is bigger, but not as densely packed. He'd ruin the careful geologic magnetic balance Schroeder creates. Raymond would probably fall over sideways on the bench and remain hunched over with his legs pumping air furiously if MPS was on his line creating a safety hazard.

Therefore, Schroeder is more valuable.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Eskimo44

Paajarvi easily. He's scored much better as a pro, in the AHL and NHL (it's not even close either) and he's a better skater, bigger, and probably better defensively. He also never fell in the draft due to apparent attitude problems (although i don't put much stock in that). I really don't see the argument for Schroeder, never been all that impressive to me.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
Paajarvi without thinking twice.
Perhaps you should?

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Jordan had a good night on face offs against the Stars going 7-4 but that's part of his 42.3% as well. with Manny out now I would guess that Kesler is going to take the majority of defensive zone draws but time will tell on that front.

The Sedins don't play the PK and have been aging pretty fast the last couple of years so if Jordan is really as good defensively and on the PK that everyone is saying then AV would be well advised to use him there if nothing else to keep Kesler fresh for the playoffs as he has broken down 2 years in a row now.

In Kesler's 1st game back, and with Jordan having played well until then his ES time remained the same at 10:47 but his PP time went down from 3:36 to 1:34 and he had a minus 2 game. A bad game against the Blues will not help him he needs a rebound night. we will all find out really soon how it plays out.

Do you mean 1st 13 NHL games not sure what you are referring to here.

Also the production for both guys in the minors was less than expected but at least Cody had an excuse of all that time off with and part of the PPG thing is spiked by the late season burst that Jordan had in 10 which he hasn't come close to replicating since then.

It's neither here or there but I like Cody and think he will have a much better career than Jordan will.

Honestly it's too early to tell, if he doesn't get his confidence back he could be one of those guys that goes to Europe where his lack of physical play won't matter as much in the Swiss league or KHL.

I still like the skill set and project of MPS more than Schroeder but if he doesn't get his confidence back it won't matter much.

As much as we don't like to admit it luck has a lot to do with these things, like does Jordan even get a sniff of the NHL if Kesler is healthy to start the season and Manny didn't have that horrific eye injury (he has never been the same since).

Lots of guys have seized opportunities and other like Brett Sterling never got a fair shake from Atlanta of all teams who had nothing to lose by giving the guy a legit chance.

Of course, but I can definitely see MPS as being a player that misses his opportunity.

I'm referring to Schroeder's and Hodgson's rookie campaigns. So far, Schroeder has kept pace or bettered Hodgson in their first 13 games. Also bettered him in ppg page over their careers on the Wolves.

Schroeder will be allowed to slowly develop his craft with VAN. His plus attributes are elite speed and a very high hockey IQ. Great assets to have. While I think MPS has un-utilized size as his. I like Schroeder's ability to be an eventual top6 contributor, as far as production and sometimes winger to Kesler, than I do MPS's chances of becoming a mainstay in EDM's top6. Guess we'll see...

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

[QUOTE=Bleach Clean;59889935]Of course, but I can definitely see MPS as being a player that misses his opportunity.

Quote:
I'm referring to Schroeder's and Hodgson's rookie campaigns. So far, Schroeder has kept pace or bettered Hodgson in their first 13 games. Also bettered him in ppg page over their careers on the Wolves.
Does that include Cody's 8 games in 11 when he averaged 7:45 TOI?

Even if it's the 12 season, I want to see if Jordan can match Cody's pace of a 63-16-17-33 line in 12:44 TOI often with lousy linemates.

That line works out to 21-22-44 over a full 82 game season.

Jordan right now has a 11-2-2-4 line in 14:25 TOI which works out to a 15-15-30 line.

As for the AHL stats, the Canucks generally have poor offensive teams and neither guy lite the world on fire down there, heck Jordan's best team finish was 3rd, 1 point ahead of Reinprecht in 19 more games.

That's neither here or there as it's NHL impact we are concerned about here.

Quote:
Schroeder will be allowed to slowly develop his craft with VAN. His plus attributes are elite speed and a very high hockey IQ. Great assets to have. While I think MPS has un-utilized size as his. I like Schroeder's ability to be an eventual top6 contributor, as far as production and sometimes winger to Kesler, than I do MPS's chances of becoming a mainstay in EDM's top6. Guess we'll see...
Who in the top 6 is Jordan going to bump though? Not that I see MPS becoming a top 6 guy in Edmonton it's just that his skillset is better suited for 3rd line duties, especially the PK role.

Jordan isn't bumping Hank or Ryan out of center and frankly his production so far as a #2 guy with his TOI and PP time has been under welming. whether that's due to bad luck or small sample size or not, we don't know yet but it's not a very good recipe to have only 15 SOG in 11 games so far, it makes it way to easy for the defense to figure a guy out.

Like I said in my last post his PP time and overall time aren't going to go up with Kesler back so we will see how he does production wise.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:28 PM
NoShowWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post

you have no idea how he'd be doing on the canucks. That is a silly statement.

NoShowWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:28 PM
StringerBell

Still too early to tell who will be the better player. I wouldn't trade Schroeder for PRV tho.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:29 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

This isn't a fair poll to MPS. Very few players can be compared to Jordan Shroeder.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:44 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
This isn't a fair poll to MPS. Very few players can be compared to Jordan Shroeder.
exactly
<----------

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:55 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
I'd stick with MPS. He's got the size and speed to be a dominant force. He's excelling as an NHL PKer and is chipping in useful goals. I don't think he'll be a 1st liner, but he could be a solid 2nd or 3rd liner on a contending team.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:09 PM
RDRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Paajarvi easily. He's scored much better as a pro, in the AHL and NHL (it's not even close either) and he's a better skater, bigger, and probably better defensively. He also never fell in the draft due to apparent attitude problems (although i don't put much stock in that). I really don't see the argument for Schroeder, never been all that impressive to me.
Hmm. Schroeder had a better ppg in the AHL this year than MPS. Schroeder has only played 11 games in the NHL, and MPS has not been light years ahead of him this year. This isn't MPS' first season though, but I don't think it's fair to hold MPS' NHL scoring against Schroeder when this is his first season. You may be able to say he was able to make the NHL faster, but his scoring has slowed down as he's gotten more NHL experience. Defensively, there isn't that big of a gap. You can thank your Oilers for that. MacTavish really helped his defensive game.

RDRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:15 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Uh isn't it MSP? Or am I losing it?

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Nuck fans so cute having their love fest in this poll and I take Paajarvi has more intangibles. Though Schroeder looks pretty good.
Same opinions here man. Paajarvi has been playing well in his role scoring 2 important GWG's this season... i haven't heard much of Schroeder since his 2 goal game vs the fLames. He will be a good player and i'm sure of that though.

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:41 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Uh isn't it MSP? Or am I losing it?
Magnus Pajaarvi-Svensson

now it's just Magnus Pajaarvi

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:20 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Small sample size alert. This guy here does not understand it.
Schroeder has developed his defensive game in the AHL and has been one of the top defensive players for the Wolves. In the NHL he has played extremely well defensively, and is showing flashes offensively. I take Schroeder over MPS quite easily.

02-17-2013, 03:24 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Magnus Pajaarvi-Svensson

now it's just Magnus Pajaarvi
Ok good. A lot of sites need to fix that then.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Sayonara77
Farewell Kes

I will take schroeder on any given game day.

Sayonara77 is offline   Reply With Quote