HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Duchene

Old
02-17-2013, 06:08 AM
Colorado Avalanche

vCash: 500
What a comeback year for Matt Duchene. I knew it, he always had too much talent to fail. (I guess he could fail, If he had work ethic of Wolski, but Matt is Matt.)

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:11 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
If we'd kept him and he'd had more concussion issues, you'd be saying that it was stupid to keep him. There's no win-win situation with him.
No I wouldn't. I understand risk when I see one.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
No I wouldn't. I understand risk when I see one.
I agree. He signed a 1yr/1,725 million $ contract with Florida. That's not a very huge risk in my opinion.
Would I have given him a long-term contract? No. A 2yr contract? Maybe. A 1yr contract? Hell yeah.

Kschey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:40 PM
GamingGiant

Duchene has already reached 50% of his point total from last year.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Razor29
52-22-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
Duchene has already reached 50% of his point total from last year.
He's producing early so he can coast later. Now he's got 44 games to get 11 points.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Every time I've seen him play this year he's been incredible. That play on McGinn's goal yesterday where he completely outmuscled a much big Shea Weber to win that puck battle and set up McGinn spoke volumes.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:45 AM
SmurfInABlender

I have to eat crow. I was fully under the belief that Duchene would never show top 5 draft pick skills. It just looks like he wasn't cut out to really lead this team. But something lit a fire for him and he's proving everyone wrong.

SmurfInABlender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:05 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender View Post
I have to eat crow. I was fully under the belief that Duchene would never show top 5 draft pick skills. It just looks like he wasn't cut out to really lead this team. But something lit a fire for him and he's proving everyone wrong.
Ugh, the skill has never been an issue. Duchenes skill levels are off the charts. He showed alot in his rookie season. His issue has been consistency as it is with most highly skilled young forwards and perhaps one could question his work ethic for seasons past. I dont think many people here ever questioned his elite skill level. I would actually put Matt in the top 5 all time in terms of pure puck skills

1.Forsberg
2. Sakic
3. Hejduk
4. Skoula
5. Duchene

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:14 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

No Ray Bourque?

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:16 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Ugh, the skill has never been an issue. Duchenes skill levels are off the charts. He showed alot in his rookie season. His issue has been consistency as it is with most highly skilled young forwards and perhaps one could question his work ethic for seasons past. I dont think many people here ever questioned his elite skill level. I would actually put Matt in the top 5 all time in terms of pure puck skills

1.Forsberg
2. Sakic
3. Hejduk
4. Skoula
5. Duchene
Oh the puck poise

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Foppa

I don't think it's a stretch to say last season may have ultimately been very, very good for his career, as crazy as it drove us as fans.

The leap in his overall strength and drive on the ice is amazing. I also think that part of this is him responding well to a sense of more responsibility. O'Reilly out, Landeskog hurt, defense sucks...ok Matt, you are going to get all the ice time you can handle. More than any other skater, including defensemen, on this team. More PK time than you can shake a stick at. It's on you.

Some guys need to be thrust into that. Last year Duchene was jacked around with ice time and Daniel freaking Winnik was leading our forwards in ice time at one point.

I still think EJ needs real #1 minutes at some point too, I feel like we are playing the same game with him. He may not respond as well as Duchene has but let him lead the blueline when he gets back or fail trying. We have like 6 guys right now getting 19-20. It was the same last year. Stop trying to create above average players out of depth guys and let the stars be stars so at least we can find out if they really are or not.

Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa View Post
I still think EJ needs real #1 minutes at some point too, I feel like we are playing the same game with him. He may not respond as well as Duchene has but let him lead the blueline when he gets back or fail trying. We have like 6 guys right now getting 19-20. It was the same last year. Stop trying to create above average players out of depth guys and let the stars be stars so at least we can find out if they really are or not.
I don't know how many different ways there are to say that Sacco is utterly clueless.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Foppa

Some interesting stats on Duchene 2.0

- Tied for 2nd among all centers in takeaways (18)
- Tied for 6th among all centers in blocks
- 8th among all centers with at least 10 points in hits (22) and 1 of only 2 in the group (Stamkos the other) averaging more than a PPG.
- 10th among all centers in faceoff wins
- Tied for 18th among all centers in short-handed time on ice per game none of the others are even in the same ballpark as Duchene offensively (granted we are #21 on the PK so it's not like it's the world's best PK but still...)
- His PP time on ice per game is ranked #53 among all centers...which could lead to the conclusion that his offensive totals are very upwardly mobile
- That leads to the fact that has already been brought up that he is tied for #2 in the NHL among all players in even strength points

The points are nice but what is really astounding are his peripheral numbers like the takeaways, blocks, hits and faceoffs which show an almost unthinkable leap from the erratic, dangling, floating center/winger of last year to a guy, who, stastically anyways, you can make a case for as one of the most well-rounded, does all the little things well and gives max effort, franchise centers thus far in 2013.

So here's a question that may be worth asking. If trading ROR (as much as we love him) means keeping Duchene 2.0, is that another reason to consider trading O'Reilly? In other words, Duchene has responded splendidly to being leaned on as the man at center ice in all situations. No doubt adding O'Reilly back to the mix would cut into some of Duchene's responsibilities. Would that allow Duchene to be an even more potent offensive weapon or is reducing his overall role perhaps harmful to his development?

That may be the ultimate way to come good as an organization from the O'Reilly mess even moreso than a return in a trade...that Duchene's ultimate potential and ability to lead was forged in O'Reilly's absence.

Last edited by Foppa: 02-22-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 03:41 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa View Post
Some interesting stats on Duchene 2.0

- Tied for 2nd among all centers in takeaways (18)
- Tied for 6th among all centers in blocks
- 8th among all centers with at least 10 points in hits (22) and 1 of only 2 in the group (Stamkos the other) averaging more than a PPG.
- 10th among all centers in faceoff wins
- Tied for 18th among all centers in short-handed time on ice per game none of the others are even in the same ballpark as Duchene offensively (granted we are #21 on the PK so it's not like it's the world's best PK but still...)
- His PP time on ice per game is ranked #53 among all centers...which could lead to the conclusion that his offensive totals are very upwardly mobile
- That leads to the fact that has already been brought up that he is tied for #2 in the NHL among all players in even strength points

The points are nice but what is really astounding are his peripheral numbers like the takeaways, blocks, hits and faceoffs which show an almost unthinkable leap from the erratic, dangling, floating center/winger of last year to a guy, who, stastically anyways, you can make a case for as one of the most well-rounded, does all the little things well and gives max effort, franchise centers thus far in 2013.
2nd best defensive center in the past 25 years?

Old
02-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Who tracks stats like takeaways? Is it a different person from the NHL for each game or does the home team have a guy doing it?

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:53 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Who tracks stats like takeaways? Is it a different person from the NHL for each game or does the home team have a guy doing it?
Home team... Avs person is fairly generous.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Home team... Avs person is fairly generous.
That's what I'm thinking too. I don't sit there and count each takeaway so I don't have anything to back this up but I don't know about those numbers. First O'Reilly last season and now Duchene among the league leaders. Stastny and Landeskog were pretty high in that category last season as well.

Avs should tell that dude to tone it down a bit. Next thing you know, Duchene is going to have a 10 page report with some data charts that include his takeaways when it's time to negotiate a new contract.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
That's what I'm thinking too. I don't sit there and count each takeaway so I don't have anything to back this up but I don't know about those numbers. First O'Reilly last season and now Duchene among the league leaders. Stastny and Landeskog were pretty high in that category last season as well.

Avs should tell that dude to tone it down a bit. Next thing you know, Duchene is going to have a 10 page report with some data charts that include his takeaways when it's time to negotiate a new contract.
It's not so much that he has X number of takeaways and another player has Y number. Obviously these are hard and subjective stats to track.

But I don't think it's so hard to see on the ice his defensive responsibility and willingness to play physical have improved dramatically. I think these stats are in some ways, if not comparable to every other player in the league, still a reflection of that improvement.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:51 PM
PAZ

Every arena has inflated or deflated stats. MSG is notorious for inflating hits.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Pepsi Center deflates PP goals for Avs.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:55 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender View Post
I have to eat crow. (#1) I was fully under the belief that Duchene would never show top 5 draft pick skills. It just looks like he wasn't cut out to really lead this team. But something lit a fire for him and (#2) he's proving everyone wrong.
#1 Even after a 55 point first season and a 67 point second season, in which he out paced and out played the #1 over all pick for two years straight?

#2 Trying to make yourself feel better here? Speak for yourself and not everyone.

- Yes Duchene's attitude needed work, and he needed to mature a bit.

- No Duchene's work ethic didn't need work. (He played injured the last 20 games of the year so we could all talk **** about him being a third line center and not producing.) His stats would look a lot better without those games played wouldn't they? Would you be good at back-checking if you were playing on a busted knee on one leg and a busted ankle on the other?

Hes using his line-mates better yes, but hes also being given better players to use as well. So it's a combination of growth and what was already there for me. Not some revelation like some people are suggesting.

His attitude has changed, as in hes matured a bit. It's not as if he ever had conditioning issues either. But he is in even better shape...

I'd like to see people admit they were WRONG about him, and not saying they were wrong about his potential and blah blah, excuses and *******s, something lit a fire under him. Just say "I was wrong, and gave up on him too early" anything less is a weak attempt at humility.

I got so fn tired of some people screaming "Trade Duchene!" "O'Reilly is the future!", and those people know who they are.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:20 AM
DanishAvsfan

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I'd like to see people admit they were WRONG about him, and not saying they were wrong about his potential and blah blah, excuses and *******s, something lit a fire under him. Just say "I was wrong, and gave up on him too early" anything less is a weak attempt at humility.

I got so fn tired of some people screaming "Trade Duchene!" "O'Reilly is the future!", and those people know who they are.
Take it easy dude no need to be so vindictive. I don't think you'll find anyone who is against Duchene's success this year among Avs fans.

Are you always right about everything you say? If not did you go out and make a public apology in each case? If not perhaps you should consider it next time, given your very strong attitude.

Last edited by DanishAvsfan: 02-23-2013 at 01:26 AM.
DanishAvsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:45 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
#1 Even after a 55 point first season and a 67 point second season, in which he out paced and out played the #1 over all pick for two years straight?

#2 Trying to make yourself feel better here? Speak for yourself and not everyone.

- Yes Duchene's attitude needed work, and he needed to mature a bit.

- No Duchene's work ethic didn't need work. (He played injured the last 20 games of the year so we could all talk **** about him being a third line center and not producing.) His stats would look a lot better without those games played wouldn't they? Would you be good at back-checking if you were playing on a busted knee on one leg and a busted ankle on the other?

Hes using his line-mates better yes, but hes also being given better players to use as well. So it's a combination of growth and what was already there for me. Not some revelation like some people are suggesting.

His attitude has changed, as in hes matured a bit. It's not as if he ever had conditioning issues either. But he is in even better shape...

Knee-jerk reactions are every fan's right. I don't necessarily begrudge them that since I'm prone to them from time to time. I was the self-appointed Duchene Apologist on these boards...but there were plenty of fans who were correctly attributing his setback year to a lack of proper linemates, injuries, etc. Much as I like to pat myself on the back for keeping the faith with Dutchy, not even I predicted he'd rededicate himself to the game with such fervor. That's a very rare thing. People were rightfully blasting Stewart for his lazy, indifferent play his first full year (me included) before he was demoted for one game and suddenly came alive. Since then he's been up and down. In the end, both his detractors and supporters gained some measure of vindication.

Both our top two young centers surprised us this offseason, in good and bad ways.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:36 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Knee-jerk reactions are every fan's right. I don't necessarily begrudge them that since I'm prone to them from time to time. I was the self-appointed Duchene Apologist on these boards...but there were plenty of fans who were correctly attributing his setback year to a lack of proper linemates, injuries, etc. Much as I like to pat myself on the back for keeping the faith with Dutchy, not even I predicted he'd rededicate himself to the game with such fervor. That's a very rare thing. People were rightfully blasting Stewart for his lazy, indifferent play his first full year (me included) before he was demoted for one game and suddenly came alive. Since then he's been up and down. In the end, both his detractors and supporters gained some measure of vindication.

Both our top two young centers surprised us this offseason, in good and bad ways.
I agree, I always had faith in Duchene, but didn't expect him to be playing at this level for at least another year. Last year Duchene didn't have great linemates, but it didn't matter who his linemates were last year, he was bad. I'd even go as far to say he was a black hole for offense the majority of the year.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
I'm just happy he's finally matured on and off the ice, that was his glaring weakness.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote