HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Injury Talk 5.0: Diaz and Bourque out with concussions

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

vCash: 500
Apparently Gallagher couldn't remember the date, who the Habs were playing or that he had scored.

Brain scrambles are a crazy thing.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:46 PM
habtastic

I hate this. I hate this so much. Finally we're elevating ourselves into a well-oiled cohesive unit with Patch and Cole (ironically the two who are most behind this year while being monsters last year) showing signs of life (don't worry about Cole, it'll be there more consistently). DD seems pretty much back. PK is playing great (even with a cold). Emelin 2nd in hits, all clean, behind the guy that cross checks needlessly a vulnerable 20 year old without the puck. **** the flyers. I know every team has injuries, but this many in one game (only two I see as intentional, should be obvious which ones) is, well, what you would expect playing the flyers. Even when they don't go full out (no Hartnell or Pronger), you still come away hurt.

Really hoping for Gally's health, short term and long term. Guy is arguably our best skater this year next to Pleks with special mention to Bourque. Organization will likely (and smartly) be prudent with him.

Others will miss a game or two or maybe none, but still a ****** fallout from a solid win. Need these guys this week, badly!

Old
02-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Habbybirthday
"I ****ing LOVE it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Agreed. He was punished based on his play, he should be rewarded based on his play too. If they called up an AHLer and instantly gave them top 6 minutes while Eller is stuck on the fourth line I wouldn't be surprised id he asked for a trade.
Eller will play on the third line. White is coming in as I said which means the bruising line will likely be back Prust - White - Armstrong

The third line will be intereseting as it could be

Moen - Galchenyuk - Eller
Moen - Eller - Galchenyuk
Prust - Galchenyuk - Eller
Prust - Eller - Galchenyuk

Old
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Apparently Gallagher couldn't remember the date, who the Habs were playing or that he had scored.

Please tell me that is an awful joke.

Old
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with Eller playing on DD's line...
But at RW? Not sure it's the best idea.
Eller did look good on Desharnais' LW (with Cole on RW) but as you mentioned, asking him to play RW might be pushing it a little bit too far.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Please tell me that is an awful joke.
I wish it wasn't.

Andy Mailly-Pressoir ‏@AndyMPressoir
Commotion confirmée pour Gallagher. Il ne se souvenait pas de la date, de contre qui le CH avait joué et qu'il avait marqué. #Habs

Old
02-17-2013, 01:50 PM
BeBen*

Quote:
I wish it wasn't.

Commotion confirmée pour Gallagher. Il ne se souvenait pas de la date, de contre qui le CH avait joué et qu'il avait marqué. #Habs
wow...

Old
02-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Habbybirthday
"I ****ing LOVE it"

Quote:
I hate this. I hate this so much. Finally we're elevating ourselves into a well-oiled cohesive unit with Patch and Cole (ironically the two who are most behind this year while being monsters last year) showing signs of life (don't worry about Cole, it'll be there more consistently). DD seems pretty much back. PK is playing great (even with a cold). Emelin 2nd in hits, all clean, behind the guy that cross checks needlessly a vulnerable 20 year old without the puck. **** the flyers. I know every team has injuries, but this many in one game (only two I see as intentional, should be obvious which ones) is, well, what you would expect playing the flyers. Even when they don't go full out (no Hartnell or Pronger), you still come away hurt.

Really hoping for Gally's health, short term and long term. Guy is arguably our best skater this year next to Pleks with special mention to Bourque. Organization will likely (and smartly) be prudent with him.

Others will miss a game or two or maybe none, but still a ****** fallout from a solid win. Need these guys this week, badly!
Relax we'll be okay. We have nhl ready players that are simply sitting on the shelf. We we're prepared for injuries. It'll be fine.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Dean Ambrose
#BESTFORBUSINESS

vCash: 50
Holy ****...

Gally

"If there is no Dean Ambrose, there is no Shield." - Roman Reigns
Old
02-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

The news isn't bad, but I'm a little bit confused. Isn't it mandatory to have 7 days of concussion free symptoms prior to resuming workouts? It makes me wonder if Gallagher actually had an official concussion or whether they are being extra careful with him.

I just hope this flu bug doesn't run rampant in the dressing room. I can live with the other d2d situations.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Rick16

Quote:
I wish it wasn't.

Is this Pressoir guy a reliable source of information?

Old
02-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick16 View Post
Is this Pressoir guy a reliable source of information?
I think he works for TVA Sports. To be honest I can't vouch for if he is reliable or not.

Either way, it's a stark difference to Wilde's "It's probably not a big deal" tweet.

I hate when journalists (I use that term loosely with Wilde) try to downplay brain trauma.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
Watch him come back with a vengeance.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Rick16

Quote:
I think he works for TVA Sports. To be honest I can't vouch for if he is reliable or not.

Either way, it's a stark difference to Wilde's "It's probably not a big deal" tweet.

I hate when journalists (I use that term loosely with Wilde) try to downplay brain trauma.
Alright, thanks. Well, it could be worse, we could be Sens' fans lol

Old
02-17-2013, 01:56 PM
BLONG7

Quote:

Not good folks...

Old
02-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Rushin Joo

Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
**** you Schenn. You dumb-faced *******.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:59 PM
habtastic

Quote:
I wish it wasn't.

Merde. That sounds worse than a one game sit out. I've never had a concussion (that I know of!), but that sounds very very bad.

As for Schenn's hit being soft, please refer to my post in the PGT or I guess to this:

As I noted, freeze at 0:18, look where the puck is and tell me that Schenn has to rub him out like that. There's being physical and then there's being cheap. Guy is so much smaller, is no threat in that play and it's not a "sending a message" thing either since the play was already over. HAving John Scott would do nothing to prevent that. NOTHING. Luke Schenn has and always will make hits like that. That's why he's leading the league. Emelin (nice work, giroux) is second and ask yourself how many of them have been cheap?

Oh man, after watching that again, I want to fight luke schenn. At 18.7 (just before the second is over), it is clear why Gally has a concussion. Here's the frame:

Old
02-17-2013, 02:00 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
There isn't Gally's first concussion! Schenn is such a SOB!

If we had a guy like John Scott, at least Schenn will think twice about hitting our midgets next game.
Why cause he finished a pretty clean check?

Old
02-17-2013, 02:10 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Why cause he finished a pretty clean check?
I know there's the element of bias, but "clean" has many parameters to it.

As you can see in the frame (and if you follow Gally's movement towards the boards, being driven in off balance), it is IMO not a check you should put your full force into (or at least the force that was evident). It also depends on whether you are trying to separate the player from the puck, which he wasn't. I know these types of checks happen often and are split second, but I've watched that a ton of times and I really do think that was a cheap hit.

I also don't think that an enforcer would have prevented it since it's in a player's instinct to make that hit. In Schenn's case, one that he should have let up on. Gally was sooooo vulnerable. He could have pinned him or taken into consideration that Gally had no chance to brace for the hit.

Can't believe this is happening to Gally, but I guess with a history and the way he plays, it's somewhat unavoidable. Sad.

Edit: Freeze at 0:19 where Gally is flailing just before the hit...
Whether dirty or not...man this sucks.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:10 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

It's pretty common to forget details after a concussion. Your brain still hasn't processed everything that's happened so far that day and suddenly it resets and you lose all that short-term memory.

Post-concussion syndrome is the bad thing, Patches didn't have it and he was fine.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:14 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Merde. That sounds worse than a one game sit out. I've never had a concussion (that I know of!), but that sounds very very bad.

As for Schenn's hit being soft, please refer to my post in the PGT or I guess to this:

As I noted, freeze at 0:18, look where the puck is and tell me that Schenn has to rub him out like that. There's being physical and then there's being cheap. Guy is so much smaller, is no threat in that play and it's not a "sending a message" thing either since the play was already over. HAving John Scott would do nothing to prevent that. NOTHING. Luke Schenn has and always will make hits like that. That's why he's leading the league. Emelin (nice work, giroux) is second and ask yourself how many of them have been cheap?

Oh man, after watching that again, I want to fight luke schenn. At 18.7 (just before the second is over), it is clear why Gally has a concussion. Here's the frame:

Legal or not, right or wrong, you see a ton of similar plays every single game, and they get ignored 99.9% of the time. I put very little blame on Schenn; Gallagher was just unlucky to get injured. Had he got up and continued playing no one would have even noticed.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
It's pretty common to forget details after a concussion. Your brain still hasn't processed everything that's happened so far that day and suddenly it resets and you lose all that short-term memory.

Post-concussion syndrome is the bad thing, Patches didn't have it and he was fine.
Agreed that it's not uncommon. However it is quite the juxtaposition beside Wilde's "getting the feeling it's not serious" tweet.

Brain trauma is always serious. Full stop.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Lshap

Please, let's not start finger-pointing because of a bad outcome. Schenn is a tough D who delivers hard checks. Very much like Emelin in that respect. This hit was clean, even if the outcome was bad.

The thing about Leaf fans I couldn't stand was their continued whining about Gionta hitting Reimer last year. That unintentional hit became dirty! intentional! classless! suspendable! in their desperate, fevered imagination. In all that's holy, do not become like that!

Old
02-17-2013, 02:28 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
I know there's the element of bias, but "clean" has many parameters to it.

As you can see in the frame (and if you follow Gally's movement towards the boards, being driven in off balance), it is IMO not a check you should put your full force into (or at least the force that was evident). It also depends on whether you are trying to separate the player from the puck, which he wasn't. I know these types of checks happen often and are split second, but I've watched that a ton of times and I really do think that was a cheap hit.

I also don't think that an enforcer would have prevented it since it's in a player's instinct to make that hit. In Schenn's case, one that he should have let up on. Gally was sooooo vulnerable. He could have pinned him or taken into consideration that Gally had no chance to brace for the hit.

Can't believe this is happening to Gally, but I guess with a history and the way he plays, it's somewhat unavoidable. Sad.

Edit: Freeze at 0:19 where Gally is flailing just before the hit...
Whether dirty or not...man this sucks.
Listen this isn't figure skating. There are no such rules on applied force and form because no one in this sport would have the time to judge whether your definition of clean applies or not (player or ref). It is a contact sport and the little guy in this frame just miscalculated what we could and should do by putting himself in pretty vulnerable position.

With Gallagher's style of playing hockey, we knew this sort of thing was going to happen sooner or later, just like Begin eating the boards. You could feel his style was going to hurt him at some point. I just hope he's in better shape than what the reporter in the posts above is reporting. Gallagher has a lot of heart it's for sure, but he needs to learn his limits.

Last edited by vokiel: 02-17-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old
02-17-2013, 02:29 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

Indeed. I remember seeing my best friend getting in a scooter accident. While waiting for the Paramedics, I kept him awake and focused, trying to get him talk to me. He wouldn't remember anything of the past hours, completely disoriented.

The funniest thing, after he recovered, he wouldn't remember that I talked to him. It's like the brain creates these emergency memory files to log the damage and then flush them/quarantine them.

Closed Thread