HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XV: Rielly Wins WHL Eastern Conf. Dman of the Year

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Duffman955

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He was considered the toughest, best hitter and fighter in his draft year. He also has enough skill to play a regular shift and chip in 20 goals. Posters expecting 30 or 40 goals are looking at the wrong player. But give me a guy that can hit, fight, provide a physical presence, protection for his team-mate, play a regular shift and chip in 20 goals -- that's gold. Look at how effective Komarov is. Biggs is a bigger, better version, that can fight.
If he can be a 20/20 40pt guy for the leafs, he will be a monster. A guy like that who can kill penalties, hit, fight and establish a forecheck are the heart and soul of the team. These are the players you win championships with.

My only question is, can he reach this potential?

Old
02-17-2013, 02:59 PM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I wouldn't put a cap on Biggs' potential as a 3rd liner.

Milan Lucic was never a PPG player in junior....and until he was 22-23 he looked like a 45 point guy and now with good linemates he's a 60 point guy.
That is technically true but a little misleading. Lucic had 68 points in 70 games in the year after he was drafted. That is just under a ppg, as you say. But in his final year of junior eligibility, ie, the age Biggs is now, he was playing in Boston. With the most minimal improvement, had he stayed in junior, he would have exceeded a ppg, and probably by a lot.

Edit: I first wrote "Thornton" rather than Biggs. That is probably because I argued earlier that Biggs career might turn out like 89 draftee, Scott Thornton, as. A long term, useful, bottom six winger. I still think that is a very likel possibility for Biggs.

Last edited by 67Cup: 02-17-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old
02-17-2013, 03:01 PM
TmlHockeyFan

I just noticed Kadri's name isn't there. So he's not a prospect anymore.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/toronto_maple_leafs/

Old
02-17-2013, 04:44 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
If he can be a 20/20 40pt guy for the leafs, he will be a monster. A guy like that who can kill penalties, hit, fight and establish a forecheck are the heart and soul of the team. These are the players you win championships with.

My only question is, can he reach this potential?
I think my expectations are that of a 30-35pt player. True third liner. But still could (long shot) be a 50 pt player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
That is technically true but a little misleading. Lucic had 68 points in 70 games in the year after he was drafted. That is just under a ppg, as you say. But in his final year of junior eligibility, ie, the age Biggs is now, he was playing in Boston. With the most minimal improvement, had he stayed in junior, he would have exceeded a ppg, and probably by a lot.

Edit: I first wrote "Thornton" rather than Biggs. That is probably because I argued earlier that Biggs career might turn out like 89 draftee, Scott Thornton, as. A long term, useful, bottom six winger. I still think that is a very likel possibility for Biggs.

Maybe a little more offense. He's also already bigger. But good comparison. I'm really excited for his potential and what he could do for us. I think Cherry will love this kid.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Chips*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmlHockeyFan View Post
I just noticed Kadri's name isn't there. So he's not a prospect anymore.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/toronto_maple_leafs/
Finn, Leivo, Percy all ranked too low.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:11 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bach View Post
Finn, Leivo, Percy all ranked too low.
Yeah not really sure why Finn/Percy are 7.0 C when Blacker is a 7.5 C. Still 7.0 = top 4 dman. 6.5 C = 2nd/3rd liner, which is what Leivo projects to be.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:38 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Hamilton's performance has nothing to do Rielly's performance. He played ok hockey at WJC's, just like the rest of the the defenseman. Pretty underwhelming overall. I don't think Rielly was used correctly, but he also didn't prove himself enough to be a top pairing player in the tournament.
The problem is you can't prove yourself with 5 minutes a game. By the time your rare shift comes up you aren't sharp thanks to sitting on the bench for so long.

Let's face it the WJC was a bust for judging anyone's performance on Canada. The coach was an idiot you risked everything in order to play his favorite player Murphy as much as he possibly could. Makes me think they should just find coaches you aren't employed for these tournaments, less problems with bias coming into the equation.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:02 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
The problem is you can't prove yourself with 5 minutes a game. By the time your rare shift comes up you aren't sharp thanks to sitting on the bench for so long.

Let's face it the WJC was a bust for judging anyone's performance on Canada. The coach was an idiot you risked everything in order to play his favorite player Murphy as much as he possibly could. Makes me think they should just find coaches you aren't employed for these tournaments, less problems with bias coming into the equation.
Man that coach pissed me off so much. He sat Rielly during the intra squad games because he said Rielly had a secure spot. Then he basically benches him in hte tourney. He plays him decently for half of one game and the Kid gets a goal and an assist, then it's back to the bench.

Made no sense at all.

Spott was terrible. THe way Rielly has handled everything has been amazing.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Makes me think they should just find coaches you aren't employed for these tournaments, less problems with bias coming into the equation.
I share the same view.

Not only that, but they have much more time scouting each player as well. You have coaches weather in OHL, QMJHL, WHL and they show bias to they're own league players because of having watched them first hand.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Dwight K Schrute

What are the odds of the moosejaw warriors making the playoffs? If they miss can Rielly play over 5 games with the leafs or marlies without burning a year of his ELC?

Old
02-17-2013, 07:21 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
What are the odds of the moosejaw warriors making the playoffs? If they miss can Rielly play over 5 games with the leafs or marlies without burning a year of his ELC?
Only NHL games will count, I believe.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
No chance they make it, over 10 points behind. Not sure about 5 games with leafs but he can play with Marlies.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
No chance they make it, over 10 points behind. Not sure about 5 games with leafs but he can play with Marlies.
How many teams miss the playoffs ?

Old
02-17-2013, 07:26 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
4 from his conference. 12 in the east conference and 10 in west. He plays in the eastern conference. Maybe it's more to it. Here's is the exact detail.

Quote:
2013 WHL Playoff Format
The WHL's Eastern and Western Conferences will use a Conference playoff format in the 2012-13 season.

The first place teams in the two Divisions in each Conference will receive the top two playoff seeds based on regular season points. The next six Clubs in each Conference, based on regular season points, will receive the 3rd - 8th playoff positions. The Clubs will be paired 1 - 8, 2 - 7, 3 - 6, and 4 - 5 in a best-of-seven series.

The first place Clubs in each Division will only be guaranteed the top two playoff seeds in the first round.

As in previous seasons, the format for the remaining three rounds of the WHL playoffs will remain the same.

The four Clubs winning first round series in each Conference will advance to the second round, where they will be ranked in order of regular season points. The Clubs will be paired 1 - 4, and 2 - 3 in best of seven series.

The two Clubs winning second round series in each Conference will advance to the third round (WHL Conference Championships), where they will be ranked in order of regular season points. The Clubs will be paired 1 - 2 in a best of seven series.

The Eastern and Western Conference Champions will advance to the best of seven WHL Championship Series, with the Club having the most regular season points receiving home ice advantage.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Man that coach pissed me off so much. He sat Rielly during the intra squad games because he said Rielly had a secure spot. Then he basically benches him in hte tourney. He plays him decently for half of one game and the Kid gets a goal and an assist, then it's back to the bench.

Made no sense at all.

Spott was terrible. THe way Rielly has handled everything has been amazing.
That's what I saw, Spott who is a good junior coach made a big mistake selecting Ryan Murphy. When Rielly had that big game a goal and 2 assists that sparked a comeback. He should have rode him, but he limited his ice time. The kid never really had a shot to get going, still he played well when called upon, he certainly wasn't the worst team canada defender at the worlds. Of Yakupov, Gally, I still think he showed the most promise.

Old
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
8 out of 12 teams in the Eastern WHL conference make the playoffs. Moose Jaw is 11 points out with 13 games remaining. Safe to say they're out of it right now.

Old
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
8 from each conference.

http://www.whl.ca/standings/show/ls_.../242/subtype/1

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...n/46/subtype/1

Old
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
I share the same view.

Not only that, but they have much more time scouting each player as well. You have coaches weather in OHL, QMJHL, WHL and they show bias to they're own league players because of having watched them first hand.
Isn't that how we had success with Quinn? He is only hired to Coach the WJC team.

Seems reasonable. There is always some coach who might want work.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Oh k thanks guys , was thinking only 2 teams from each conference missed , which doesn't really make sense but

Old
02-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Isn't that how we had success with Quinn? He is only hired to Coach the WJC team.

Seems reasonable. There is always some coach who might want work.
Yeah Quinn is one. It makes too much sense not do try that really.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:51 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Yeah Quinn is one. It makes too much sense not do try that really.
Quinn was only hired because Benoit Groulx had to drop out at the start of that season. Quinn didnt run the evaluation camp (where Kadri was from all attendents easily the best player).

Since he didnt run the evaluation camp he went purely on what he saw at camp, that junior seasom and the u-18s. Kane, Ellis, Esposito, Sonne, and Benn maybe dont make that team if Groulx is coaching.

But I agree, I think Quinn is too far removed from the game now, but one thing that was evident at the junior level was that he truely didnt give a crap how old you were, who drafted you and if you had to wear a cage.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:41 AM
ErikP803

From an article on the cbc website :
14 -- Consecutive games that Kitchener Rangers forward Joshua Leivo, a Toronto Maple Leafs prospect, has checked in with at least a point. The native of Innisfil, Ont., has been kept off the scoresheet in only nine times in 51 games this season.

Cant wait to see this guy with the Marlies, seems like hes got top 6 potential for sure!

Old
02-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikP803 View Post
From an article on the cbc website :
14 -- Consecutive games that Kitchener Rangers forward Joshua Leivo, a Toronto Maple Leafs prospect, has checked in with at least a point. The native of Innisfil, Ont., has been kept off the scoresheet in only nine times in 51 games this season.

Cant wait to see this guy with the Marlies, seems like hes got top 6 potential for sure!
He is also very good defensively. Hopefully he becomes an effective player in the NHl, he has the size, skill and defensive ability to.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Percy got 2A , in a 7-4 loss. Got 2nd star of the game .
Biggs held pointless....again.
Leivo and Brown also pointless.
Rupert 2A
Sparks 29/32.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
He is also very good defensively. Hopefully he becomes an effective player in the NHl, he has the size, skill and defensive ability to.
he'll be a project for sure.