HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Development Camp - Day 2

Old
07-11-2006, 12:44 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
One would assume that James Wyman is JT Wyman
James Thomas Wyman

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Duff88

Great report, thanks again!

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 12:52 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

thanks for the report whitesnake

Old
07-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake View Post
By the way, I was gone when some described themselves so I have no idea who's who, but I was close to where the guys were entering the ice, blue polar shirt, blue jeans and sheets on my hand with photos.
I think I was sitting beside you.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:00 PM
FinnHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake View Post
9- Impressed by Maxwell nifty moves, Korpikari again is like somebody you don't notice too much. Doesn't mean he's bad nor great but he's just doing his thing. For him, I'm just waiting for some 1 on 1, he impressed the hell out of me last year.

Right words about Korpikari. He´s not great or bad, he is "just" average and quite solid young d-man. Is just the way he has played in Finnish league too. I highly doubt he´s chances to get NHL-career some day, but will see it in the future...

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:01 PM
SuperUnknown

Is Chipchura there? The report doesn't mention him at all?

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Artie

I have no idea who was who, but just some general comments.

There did not seem to be the same type of speed and intensity that was present a couple of years ago when Pleks, Hainsey, Ribs and that gang were on the ice.

I was most concerned by the lack of foot speed during some of the puck handling drills.

The 1 vs 1 vs 1 that whitesnake describe was quite good. You got a better chance to see who has better vision and hockey sense. Some were much better at finding open ice. Some couldn't turn with a puck. Price started slow in that one then seemed to get a little more serious.

It was nice to see Carbo and Muller enjoying themselves on the ice. I don't recall ever seeing the head coach at these things before.

Pierre Gauthier looks like he's aged.

My favorite moment (exemplifies the whole fish-bowl experience that it is to be part of the Habs). Gainey walks in and sits down after a few handshakes. He's just sitting there watching the drills and there's like 5 TV cameras filming him. He's not saying anything, just expressionless but they are filming away.

1 question: Why is Price not at the Team Canada camp like Chips and Lats.

Old
07-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail View Post
Is Chipchura there? The report doesn't mention him at all?
Him and Latendresse arrive tommorow.

Thanks for the reports guys!

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:06 PM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
The goalies had their camp last month, I believe

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:11 PM
zednik20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngc_5128 View Post
The goalies had their camp last month, I believe

Latendresse and Chipchura are in Toronto to receive their gold medal from last year or to attend a special ceremony about their gold medal...

Chipchura is too old now to be part of that team...

zednik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Aarex

I don't think this camp is specifically for world jr's i think it was a development camp type thing.

Aarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
I have no idea who was who, but just some general comments.

There did not seem to be the same type of speed and intensity that was present a couple of years ago when Pleks, Hainsey, Ribs and that gang were on the ice.

I was most concerned by the lack of foot speed during some of the puck handling drills.

The 1 vs 1 vs 1 that whitesnake describe was quite good. You got a better chance to see who has better vision and hockey sense. Some were much better at finding open ice. Some couldn't turn with a puck. Price started slow in that one then seemed to get a little more serious.

It was nice to see Carbo and Muller enjoying themselves on the ice. I don't recall ever seeing the head coach at these things before.

Pierre Gauthier looks like he's aged.

My favorite moment (exemplifies the whole fish-bowl experience that it is to be part of the Habs). Gainey walks in and sits down after a few handshakes. He's just sitting there watching the drills and there's like 5 TV cameras filming him. He's not saying anything, just expressionless but they are filming away.

Good ol Bob

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:21 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Chipchura & Latendresse are not at a Team Canada camp, they were at a ceremony for their Gold Medal at the HHOF
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/2/2/0/1/7/index1.shtml

Old
07-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_9forever View Post
Latendresse and Chipchura are in Toronto to receive their gold medal from last year or to attend a special ceremony about their gold medal...

Chipchura is too old now to be part of that team...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
Chipchura & Latendresse are not at a Team Canada camp, they were at a ceremony for their Gold Medal at the HHOF
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/2/2/0/1/7/index1.shtml

Okay thanks. i was basing my question on what i had read here.

Old
07-11-2006, 01:34 PM
pavlako11

thanks for the post

this is really in-depth stuff

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Kafka

The last time I went to a rookie camp, players had a number in their back all the infos were on some available peaces of paper...... nothing like that this yera?

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:38 PM
BORAT

Talked to a buddy who was there : Said Fischer was having a good time and all the kids in general seemed very focused, said that you could almost divide them into 2 groups, the tall players seemed more prepared than the smaller players

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Talent Analyst

Wow ... I've been so impress by O'Byrne !!! He's big , agile , good speed , good hand ...

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:51 PM
tinyzombies

I went up to the corner to buy a book at the bookstore and one of the guys who works there was at today's practice....lol.... this town is a bit too crazy for hockey I think.

But I'll be there tomorrow.... Lats and Chip will be there. I think the scrimmage is Saturday.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Alright, I don't have my notes with me right now, but here's an off the top of my head report from this morning.

Well my player recognition skills weren't as great as I had thought/hoped, so I focused mainly on the couple of guys that I was sure I knew: S. Kostitsyn, D'Agostini, Fischer, O'Byrne, and the goalies.

- S. Kostitsyn: I was disapointed to be honest. He definitely doesn't have his brother's hands/skillset. Seemed to have a nice release, though the amount of shooting was limited. Speed and skating seemed average. Nothing special in stickhandling, though at one point, during a toe-drag drill, he did slide the puck from behind him between his legs and back onto his stick very non-chalantly. While not the smallest in the group, he did like pretty small compared to most of the others on the ice.

- D'Agostini: Wow did this kid impress me. Seems to have a complete package. Solid hands, good wheels... Admittedly, it was just 2 and a half hours of drills, but I really loved what I saw out of this kid. Oh, and he really really does look soooo much like Higgins physically lol.

- Fischer: Seems like a good kid. Chatting it up with others, laughing... Good size. Didn't see him much, but liked what I did see.

- O'Byrne: Big guy. Skates well. Needs a bit of work on puck control, but seems like he's developing a booming shot.

- Price: I liked what I saw from him. Made one amazing save during a little one-on-one-on-one game (three skaters fighting for a puck, and any of them can score on either net), where he made a stop and reached his goal stick across the net to make another save on the rebound. Was awesome in puck control drills behind the net. Moved very quickly, good passing, good control. His latteral sliding might need a bit of work as he seemed to struggle a little bit with that drill.

- Lacassee: Not overly impressed. He played well in the one-on-one-on-one game, but he struggled a lot with the puck control drills, even slamming his goal stick hard against the boards in frustration at one point. Perhaps a future AHL-er, but needs plenty of work (playing for Roy's team will certainly be good for him).

Carbonneau, Muller, and Jarvis were out on the ice for the beginning drills with pucks, but sat in the stands with Gainey after the break and let Gingras run the skating drills.

Players and coaches signed autographs for kids after the skate. Kostitsyn was all smiles.

They really need to put numbers on those jerseys, or at least on the helmets. It was slightly boring I guess, but fun all the same.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:06 PM
globalkiller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
Well, as long as he's here to help us kick the Leafs' prospects' butts, then its all good.
yes as long as the habs beat the tar out of the leafs so thay can go to the hockey hall of fame and see only black and white pics of the leafs winning the cup my life will be great,damn I hate leaf fans

globalkiller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I think that the vast majority, the overall idea of this group is that they are totally dedicated to this camp, and working their butt off. I don't see a lot of people not wanting to work. And there's some crazy and tough exercices out there.

And about that group I'm really impressed, after 2 days of camp about their overall speed. I think there's obviously work about the first steps, and the agility factor with or without the puck but at full speed, they are a pretty great group of guys.

Fischer is actually the only one to blend in with more than one guy. The others are doing their business, you do have a Q '' clique'' Carle and Aubin and the W clique Maxwell and White.

I like Lacasse's work ethic. Bang his stick when things don't go well, demands a lot of himself, always likes to take shots in the end while Price prefers stretching. Goalies seem to enjoy each other presence, always a tap on the glove, on the stick to show each other their good work. Lacasse looks so big in net, though you see the difference between him and Price. Price doesn't work that hard but he looks great out there. Like I said, didn't have the greatest day but when they were working with Melanson, everything Price do, seems easy, Lacasse, well he does it but it's not as fluid.

I don't know why but didn't notice D'Ago, Stewart and Kosty today. Probably was at the bad end to notice them much. You do see though that as far as puck handling skills Kosty and D'Ago are superior to Stewart. Stewart is another one who has a smile in his face most of the time and is not shy at looking at the fans sitting.

I need to pay attention to Wyman a little more. Again, he's so not flashy, you pratically don't see him out there. I believe that this is the kind of camp that power forwards might look out of place a little and where shifty guys will prevail. Will see what Latendresse does tomorrow.

As far as Frechette goes, well I think his skating agility is behind most of the d-men. I compare him to Cepek in that department and find Cepek much more agile and fast than him. I don't think there's anything special about Fréchette as of yet.

So it appears Grabovsky didn't obtain his Visa so he won't be here this week....

As far as Dulac is concerned, well he's injured so he won't be there this week.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu View Post
Alright, I don't have my notes with me right now, but here's an off the top of my head report from this morning.

They really need to put numbers on those jerseys, or at least on the helmets. It was slightly boring I guess, but fun all the same.
Were you sitting near the middle (next to a tri-pos for a camera)? I didn't bother you cause you looked busy taking notes.

I have emailed the Habs to mention that it would be a good idea to identify the players for the public.

maybe see you tomorrow.

Old
07-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
I went up to the corner to buy a book at the bookstore and one of the guys who works there was at today's practice....lol.... this town is a bit too crazy for hockey I think.

But I'll be there tomorrow.... Lats and Chip will be there. I think the scrimmage is Saturday.

That's me!
Hope you enjoy those books (Robinson on Defense is supposed to be a classic).

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Were you sitting near the middle (next to a tri-pos for a camera)? I didn't bother you cause you looked busy taking notes.

I have emailed the Habs to mention that it would be a good idea to identify the players for the public.

maybe see you tomorrow.
Yes, that was me, heh. I wasn't busy, but I did want to write down some reminders for myself so I could report everything on HF .

So I was the only one so far impressed by D'Agostini today? Maybe I'm overreacting, but he just seemed to handle everything perfectly and smoothly. Maybe I was just over-focusing on him, and he wasn't actually as noticeable as he seemed to me, but I'm very pleased.

Anyway, I hope to head out to the camp at least one more day before it's over. Don't think I can make it tomorrow, but Thursday or Friday are possibilities.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote