HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gainey interested in Samsonov... by thefourthperiod.com

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2006, 11:27 AM
KaptainKourage*

vCash: 500
I think SJ will sign him. Samsonov want to play with his good friend Joe Tho.

Wow.. just imagin if he sign with the Sharks

Samsonov Thornton Cheechoo
Bell Marleau Bernier
SIIIIICK

Old
07-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut View Post
the dude's only 27... i'd love a shot at him, if he's affordable.
Man this is HFboards.....you're only young when you're under 25..........

Last edited by Habsfan18: 07-11-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old
07-11-2006, 11:29 AM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan15 View Post
Man this is HFboards.....you're only young when you've under 25..........
haha, true.

Old
07-11-2006, 11:55 AM
#44_delivers

i would take him in a heart beat, he would be an asset to the developtment of our youngsters,

BUT if the wings sign him they'll be looking to get rid of Lang right away, and i think we're really the only team persuing lang.

so i think either lang or samsonov is comming here.

Old
07-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Maithz

vCash:
I would prefer Samsonov over Zednik

Old
07-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Astaroth

Samsonov would go a long way to solidifying our top 6, I think that he played very well with Edmonton despite being injured for the playoffs.

While I usually agree with davedave, I don't believe that any of our prospect are close to Samsonov's level yet. I think they might be in 2 years' time (Perezhogin if he puts it together and mabye Kost). He is a proven productive player which is not a given with our young and very streaky team. Secondary scoring was our downfall so he'd help adress it.

Old
07-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Netro

The question I have is how exactly will Samsonov stunt our youth. Bulis is gone. At worst, after next season, Zednick and Bonk are gone. Ribs may not be far behind. There are spots opening up. Truth be told, while we all want to think that all the Habs prospects will make it, truth is, they won't. Some prospects, even a player like Kostitsyn, will fail (though I think Kosty will make it) So, getting a plater like Samsonov will only help, especially since he is only 27.

If we assume the Habs don't make any moves this season, then the forwards after this season would look like:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Kosty-Ribs-Kovalev
XXXX-Pleks-Perezhogin
Begin-XXXX-Murray

And this assumes that Kosty makes it this year, which is no guarantee, and then establishes himself as a second line player next year which is still no guarantee. Plus, I think Ribs is playing his last year in mtl. Chipchura hopefully can fill in the 4th line centre role next year.

Going into 2007-08, I'd be way more comfortable with

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-XXXX-Kovalev
Kosty-Pleks-Perezhogin
Begin-Chipchura-Murray

And then work on upgrading Ribs.

Old
07-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmcknn View Post
In my opinion here are the pro's

-Bob's interest in Shanny is basically non-debatiable so it shows that we are looking for a top six player with some impact.

-Samsonov is the only player avaliable in the FA market that can come close to being a impact player on the same level as Shanny.

-Samsonov is not that old and could be a great producer espically with Kovalev.

Con's

-Samsonov is not big and not a leader in the way Shanny would have been.

- Big con, Samsonov will want a multi year contract. Unlike Shanny whould would have been basically a one year rental Samsonov would become part of our core for the next few years and limit our choices in the future.

-Samsonov is injury prone and could turn into a lemon. With that being said he has played %81 of the games in his career and if you exclude the 2002-2003 season where he basically missed it he has played close to %93. So he is not that injury prone.

The big question that has to be asked is if we want Samsonov as part of the core for the next three to five years?

Good post!!!!

But samsonov If signed by MTL long term, could still be dealt in the future. He is young and enteringthe prime of his career. I say go for it, he has speed offensive ability and scary moves that would be great with kovalev. We would have to trade for a center for them though. Zednik would be by by and so would be ribs. Who knows though, we may end up doing nothing this offseason except welcome some young habs prospect's into our lineup.

Old
07-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS-65 View Post
I would prefer Samsonov over Zednik

Old
07-11-2006, 02:15 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Good post!!!!

But samsonov If signed by MTL long term, could still be dealt in the future. He is young and enteringthe prime of his career. I say go for it, he has speed offensive ability and scary moves that would be great with kovalev. We would have to trade for a center for them though. Zednik would be by by and so would be ribs. Who knows though, we may end up doing nothing this offseason except welcome some young habs prospect's into our lineup.

but like any player that comes to montreal, your trade value dramatically decreases.

samsonov would be nice if he could stay healthy and came for short term. but that's a big "IF". Sammy didn't come out of a 'great' year by his standards, so could he do a one year deal and hope that he improves his play immensely so he can hit the jack pot next year when he hits free agency again? So far his contract will be based off of potential, as he has yet to hit 30 goals in his career...while even zednik did it without playing with the likes of joe thornton.

Old
07-11-2006, 02:48 PM
oli500

With the addition of samsonov, we would have two great scoring lines. He would bring a hole new dimention to are second line and compliment are first line players. Im sure samsonov would consider montreal. Playing vs montreal samsonov would no what to expect from montreal.

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Plekanec-Kovalev
Perezhogin-Ribeiro-Zednik
Kositsyn-Begin-Bonk
murray-downey

question is, do we really need to spend four mill on samsonov when we allready have that kind of talent in perezhogin and kositsyn.

Old
07-11-2006, 02:54 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
Samsonov would go a long way to solidifying our top 6, I think that he played very well with Edmonton despite being injured for the playoffs.

While I usually agree with davedave, I don't believe that any of our prospect are close to Samsonov's level yet. I think they might be in 2 years' time (Perezhogin if he puts it together and mabye Kost). He is a proven productive player which is not a given with our young and very streaky team. Secondary scoring was our downfall so he'd help adress it.
Thats where I think I disagree. Samsonov proved time and time again hes a very streaky player himself. Hes not a building block, hes an utility scorer like Zednik. He fades under pressure as well, another reason I dont like him.

Old
07-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Thats where I think I disagree. Samsonov proved time and time again hes a very streaky player himself. Hes not a building block, hes an utility scorer like Zednik. He fades under pressure as well, another reason I dont like him.
That's why he'll round out the top 6 not be the man.

Yeah, well very few players that are consistent with his level of talent would be available to us, that's why Kovalev's a 4.5 million player and not more.

I believe he's a much better player than Zednik in the regular season adn in the post-season he's always been good. Each time the Bs got eliminated against us, he was their best player not Thornton. He also performed well in the playoffs for edmonton.

He's one-dimensional but but so are alot of our prospects. I think he's the forward UFA worth bringing in at this point.

Old
07-11-2006, 04:25 PM
psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Will cost more then he's worth IMO. Very injury prone and when was the last time he even scored 20 goals?
This seson 23.

Old
07-11-2006, 04:56 PM
albertonhabsfan

Hey Turnbuckle, Are you Russian by any chance???

Old
07-11-2006, 04:59 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_ab View Post
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl060710a.html

I think it possible that the canadiens are interested in him after shanahan sign with Rangers...

what do you think of samsonov you guys...

in my opinion let give the place for young but I'll be happy gainey sign him tough
Samsonov sucks with no Thornton on his line. Perezhogin has nothing to envy to Sammy

Old
07-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Miller Time

Samsonov would obviously be an upgrade to our top 6, but is he the kind of player we need at this point?

To me, both Perez and Kots offer (in their long term potential upside) the same value that Samsonov does, but at a fraction of the price.

The only way I'd like to see him in our lineup is if Kots or Perez get dealt in a package deal for the Centre that we lack....

for example (just fooling around here so relax...):

to tb
Kots, Ryder, Souray

To mtl
Lecavalier

sign Samsonov, Desjardins

Roster:
Samsonov-Lecavalier- Kovalev
Higgins- Koivu- Latendresse
Perez- Pleks- Zednik
Murray-Bonk- Begin

Rivet-Markov
Komi-Desjardins
Bouillion-Dandy

Old
07-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Pascal

steep price for an overrated "60 pts per season franchise player"

I agree tho that samsonov wouldn't bring much of anything new or needed on the team unless they trade zednik.

Old
07-11-2006, 07:57 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
steep price for an overrated "60 pts per season franchise player"

I agree tho that samsonov wouldn't bring much of anything new or needed on the team unless they trade zednik.
Yeah...and in that case....Samsonov would bring what ever we get for zednik with him.

Old
07-11-2006, 08:32 PM
jcpenny

No more UFA hunting, theres nothing left worth fetching. Im sorry but we are better off with our young guys than wasting money on Samsonov or Sykora. If the team needs to get players, i hope BoB will do it via trade.

Old
07-11-2006, 08:46 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
No more UFA hunting, theres nothing left worth fetching. Im sorry but we are better off with our young guys than wasting money on Samsonov or Sykora. If the team needs to get players, i hope BoB will do it via trade.
Wait wait....Lets say you can sign Sykora and then trade Zed for a pick or something. Isnt that good?

Or lets say sign Sykora and a Defensman. And then trade Zednik and a Defensman for a prospect or some good picks. Isnt that good?

Team -Zednik +Sykora + pick > team with zednik.

Old
08-28-2006, 05:08 PM
MacHabs93

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post
ah
Did you really do all that searching through posts for a 2-letter reply?

Old
08-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Maxpac

...well i guess Gainey ain't that unexpected after all....

Old
08-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Madevilz

TFP had something right?
wow

Closed Thread