Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

TNSE Looking at getting a WHL team

Old
02-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
If this happens I'd probably get season tickets. I'm just as interested in watching prospects play as I am in the NHL. It'd also be a pretty good alternative to all those that didn't get Jets tickets.

Winnipeg Jets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Boreal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
A lot of families with young kids just can't afford Jets games, the WHL Winnipeg Jets, Clubs, Warriors, Monarchs, True North's or whatever would draw families, seniors, teens etc..
Exactly. The Jets are not family entertainment - save for those families with substantial income (for the most part - there's always the odd exception). Junior hockey is great, affordable, and family friendly. I would love to be able to attend games with family members - something that is just a pipe dream with the Jets.

I obviously love the Jets, but I agree with you, there is great untapped potential for junior hockey in this town.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Channelcat

vCash: 2014
I'd rather watch WHL than NHL but I realize I'm very much in the minority. Winnipeg has a bad track record supporting amateur sport for some reason. However if they could tie the franchises together somehow it might work. I wonder if he has spoken to McCrimmon about buying the wheaties.

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:04 PM
HannuJ

vCash: 367
why did the Warriors bomb 3 decades ago?

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:08 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
If this happens I'd probably get season tickets. I'm just as interested in watching prospects play as I am in the NHL. It'd also be a pretty good alternative to all those that didn't get Jets tickets.
Just for comparison these are Brandon's prices ( whom claim they will always be the cheapest in the WHL )

http://www.wheatkings.com/season-tickets

“The season ticket base is the lifeline of any sports franchise,” says Wheat Kings’ owner Kelly McCrimmon. “While our costs have increased, we remain adamant that our season ticket prices remain the lowest in the WHL.”

Adult Season Ticket : $425
Senior (65 and over): $375
Youth (18 and under) : $200.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:11 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post
why did the Warriors bomb 3 decades ago?
According to people I know involved with the team at the time, ironicly they suffered from attendance problems competing with the Winnipeg Jets. The NHL Jets were not selling out, and cost wise, NHL tickets back then were not all that much more than junior hockey. It is different today, because the price difference is huge compared to back then.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:13 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
According to people I know involved with the team at the time, ironicly they suffered from attendance problems competing with the Winnipeg Jets.
That and playing in the old arena where Winnipeg enterprises made all the money off parking, concessions, rent etc.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:15 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
That and playing in the old arena where Winnipeg enterprises made all the money off parking, concessions, rent etc.
Yup, same old problems Jets 1.0 suffered from.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:54 PM
sting13

Quote:
Yup, same old problems Jets 1.0 suffered from.
Also hockey just wasn't as popular in 70's 80's and early 90's as it is now.
The game is just bigger now.
In 1993 I went to Toronto and was able buy tickets to Leafs and Black Hawks on
a Saturday night on game day at regular prices which was less than $25 a ticket.
That would never happen now.
The same goes for junior hockey. It's bigger now with the World Juniors and games
on TV. I'm pretty sure they would draw Moose like attendance for junior hockey
if Winnipeg was able to get a team.

sting13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

True North has stated that they want to build the "Winnipeg Jets" brand and not over-saturate the market.

I will say this, the Calgary Hitmen make a lot of money for the Calgary Flames.

Members of the Flames "Hot House" wait list get discounted tickets to Hitmen games which would no doubt be offered on the Jets wait list.

I think it could work if the WHL team played in a smaller venue than MTS Centre.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting13 View Post
Also hockey just wasn't as popular in 70's 80's and early 90's as it is now.
The game is just bigger now.
In 1993 I went to Toronto and was able buy tickets to Leafs and Black Hawks on
a Saturday night on game day at regular prices which was less than $25 a ticket.
That would never happen now.
The same goes for junior hockey. It's bigger now with the World Juniors and games
on TV. I'm pretty sure they would draw Moose like attendance for junior hockey
if Winnipeg was able to get a team.
I don't imagine they'd get 'Moose-like' numbers, due to the fact that the majority of fans who would attend will be spending a lot of their expendable money and, maybe more importantly, time, on the Jets. When the Jets are playing road games, a lot of people will stay home to watch. Drawing Moose-like numbers with no NHL competition would be a phenomenal accomplishment, let alone with the Jets here now.

A junior team would do really well with young families and seniors, hopefully there are enough of them to sustain a team. TNSE will do a good job of marketing to those demographic I'm sure.

I'd catch a couple games a year for sure, but probably only on non-Jets game nights.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Hawker14

I personally would like to see a WHL franchise, but don't really see the demand that would bring out ~5,000 fans out to make it a viable proposition.

Support for the Bisons and MJHL is pretty weak, and I just don't foresee enough demand for the tier (WHL) between the NHL and those clubs.

Honestly, I just think Winnipeg is a Jets' town, ala Toronto and the Leafs.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Boreal

To be fair, the U of M Bisons are the worst marketed athletic enterprise on the planet.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Bob E

Expansion franchise or moving an existing franchise? I read last year where the PA Raiders were having a tough time and were up for sale, i think?

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
To be fair, the U of M Bisons are the worst marketed athletic enterprise on the planet.
I remember back in the early 80's when the Jets were near the bottom of the NHL, they played pre-season against the UofM bisons. The Jets creamed them at 6 - 1 or something like that. I thought at the time, and still do today, that the Bisons are a really bad team

Conflicted Habs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:33 PM
epo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
I remember back in the early 80's when the Jets were near the bottom of the NHL, they played pre-season against the UofM bisons. The Jets creamed them at 6 - 1 or something like that. I thought at the time, and still do today, that the Bisons are a really bad team
An NHL team beating another NHL team 6-1 is a creaming, but that is a good result for any amateur team.

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:42 PM
SubparSoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Here's a link to the last discussion:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&highlight=whl

The biggest issue is whether or not TNSE thinks it's worth it to block off potential concert dates (read: huge money-makers) for junior hockey games, which wouldn't bring in anywhere near the same revenue.

I've always maintained that it's too bad nothing was done to retrofit the old Winnipeg Arena, turning it into a commercial space with a scaled down rink that could've also served as a medium-sized concert venue.
They should build a new arena for the Jets an use the pathetic MTS for WHL

SubparSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:24 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's one thing for Winnipeg to look at getting a WHL team, but the question that needs to be asked before getting all excited about it, is, does the WHL want Winnipeg?

This has been talked about numerous time since the last WHL team ( Winnipeg Warriors ) left in 1984 and each time the talk starts the WHL kind of throws cold water on it. The issue isn't so much that a team in Winnipeg would have tough travel ( Brandon being 2.5 hours away and then another 4 hours to Regina ), but you are making the teams that have to come to Winnipeg have more difficult travel as well. IMO, TNSE would have to do a serious sales job to the WHL to even get them to consider allowing a team in Winnipeg.

It's too bad, but Winnipeg just isn't in a good place geographically to join a bus league. Even if it were possible, joining the NAHL or USHL, which have teams in North Dakota, is still a lot of travel.

We will have to see if this goes anywhere....
Big time......the WHL board have had the full court press on TNSE for some time.

I have come full circle on the idea for a few reasons. first and foremost to YWGinYYZ's post over on the prospects thread he took the wife to see the Colts tonight and with great seats and beer they were still only into the night for $60. WHL is great family and or budget friendly entertainment and that has been gone since the Moose left.

Secondly the SHED can really use the additional 40 dates. ask any of the bar owners close to the arena and they will tell you that they fill before any event that draws in excess of 2000 patrons and I assume they will pull between 4000 to 6000 to WHL hockey in the MTS centre.

Thirdly Calgary, Vancouver, and Edmonton are all proving that the big western cities that sell out their NHL games can carry WHL franchises now and tend to thrive (see attendance post below)

Lastly I would love to see our prospects come through town. kids like Yuen, Lowry, Sutter, Olsen, not to mention up and coming draft prospects. I would definatley make it to a handful of games.

Canadian Hockey League Attendance
1. Quebec Remparts (11,724)
2. Calgary Hitmen (8973)
3. London Knights (8953)
4. Vancouver Giants (6944)
5. Halifax Mooseheads (6608)
6. Ottawa 67s (6507)
7. Spokane Chiefs (6443)
8. Edmonton Oil Kings (6421)
9. Kitchener Rangers (6365)
10. Kelowna Rockets (6082)
11. Portland Winterhawks (6075)
12. Windsor Spitfires (5859)
13. Victoria Royals (5660)
14. Everett Silvertips (5278)
15. Saskatoon Blades (5048)
16. Red Deer Rebels (4858)
17. Tri-City Americans (4653)
18. Saint John Sea Dogs (4561)
19. Oshawa Generals (4383)

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:37 PM
cbcwpg

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...191610691.html

Talks have ended according to the paper .

Old
02-17-2013, 10:44 PM
TroubaFan1

Id definatly support a WHL team here in Winnipeg. I just dont know if we are a big enough city for this to happen quite yet, maybe in another 5-10 years after the Jets settle back in to the city.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:08 PM
RiverCitySlim

I would love to see a WHL team here.

RiverCitySlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:18 PM
bromine

vCash: 50
I think TNSE can sell a lot of WHL tickets by bundling with notoriously hard-to-get Jets tickets.

E.g. Buy a 5 or 10-game mini-pack for WHL, get access to tickets for a single Jets game.

I could see a lot of people, particularly families, jumping on a promotion like that.

bromine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:50 PM
tntkid

A WHL team is a good option for families that can't get tickets or afford to go to a Jets game.

I would prefer that they do not play at the MTS Centre as there would be hardly any days open for winter concerts or events.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Tdoe42

Call them the Moose!.... BOOM Done

Instant following lol

This would be a slam dunk for the city. Having the 2 Best leagues in our city would be hockey heaven. Instant rivalries between Brandon and Regina. TN just tack on a set of WHL season tickets to my account Thanks!!

Tdoe42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Veinless

Would be a nice add-on to TSN-Jets.

Veinless is offline   Reply With Quote