HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IF you had to trade one, who would it be?

View Poll Results: If you had to trade one, who would it be?
Eller 26 11.02%
Desharnais 210 88.98%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-16-2013, 12:33 PM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
DD is too small to be an effective 3rd line center. Especially in the playoffs.
Just spit it out then. Come on. If he ain't big enough to be a 3rd line, and he ain't good enough to be on the top 6, then he doesn't belong in the NHL.

Stop making these little on-the-side insinuation and actually state your opinion openly. The only logical conclusion to your arguments is that DD doesn't belong in the Majors.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Habs Junkie

Just checking in to see if I'm pre-banned from this thread

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:10 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Just spit it out then. Come on. If he ain't big enough to be a 3rd line, and he ain't good enough to be on the top 6, then he doesn't belong in the NHL.

Stop making these little on-the-side insinuation and actually state your opinion openly. The only logical conclusion to your arguments is that DD doesn't belong in the Majors.
He doesn't belong in the NHL as a centre. I've said it before and I'll say it again: barring any major, major change in his playing style, faceoff ability and speed (basically his entire hockey fundamentals) he cannot rely on his vision and only that to succeed as a centre in the NHL. And especially not on a forechecking team such as ours.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Habs Junkie

Guys, Desharnais will be moved. Patrick Roy was on Antichambre a few nights ago, saying how he spoke to Bergevin about DD. He said Bergevin knows he's to small and it's a very difficult choice he will make. But he knows it and will make it. Therrien is just playing him a lot now, either because they are showcasing him or because he's helping him get another contract. But make no mistake, if management had to make this choice tomorrow, DD is gone.

Now I don't want to take anything away from DD. What he's accomplished last year is a big deal. More then anyone of us ever dreamed of. The sad reality though, is there's not much room in the NHL for this kind of player. It sucks, because we all would love to see a hometown boy succeed long term on this team, and unfortunately DD is not that guy. So I hope for his sake, he can get a couple more years on another team and keep his NHL career alive. As for the Habs, it's obvious, he can't replace anyone of the centers and that includes Eller.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:21 PM
No Team Needed

I'm starting to wonder if Desharnais is just another Matt Stajan/Tyler Bozak.

As much as I like the kid and think he's worked so hard to make the NHL, it's probably time to consider him a package. Eller might get a better return but that's because he has much better upside.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Habs Junkie

This poll is more lopsided then Ed Shultz's polls on msnbc

Old
02-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Whichever one gives us the better return.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Be a Hab

I would trade deharnais, I love he's work ethic and the passion he brings to the game. I think it would be a mistake to trade him this year but i beleive at the draft would be the perfect time to trade him.

you guy's beleive we could get a mid 2nd round pick for him?

Be a Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Assuming a healthy Gallagher and considering how great 2. Pacioretty – Desharnais – Gallagher looked... I am sure that Cole is now feeling Eller’s breath in his neck!

Desharnais (as long as he does not ask for 4M$ per season) and Eller (maybe as a winger) are keepers.

Both players are part of the solution.

Btw... lol at everyone who accuse us of being paranoid (or playing the victim card... what a weird and weak argument!) when we mention that some posters in here hate everything that is French speaking Québécois. Luckily for us, they are a small minority and their idiocy does not alter the fact that hfboards is a great place.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Et le But

Imagine if the Habs ever signed a half Quebecois, half Russian black guy.

He would be fluent in Russian and French, but not English.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Guys, Desharnais will be moved. Patrick Roy was on Antichambre a few nights ago, saying how he spoke to Bergevin about DD. He said Bergevin knows he's to small and it's a very difficult choice he will make. But he knows it and will make it. Therrien is just playing him a lot now, either because they are showcasing him or because he's helping him get another contract. But make no mistake, if management had to make this choice tomorrow, DD is gone.

Now I don't want to take anything away from DD. What he's accomplished last year is a big deal. More then anyone of us ever dreamed of. The sad reality though, is there's not much room in the NHL for this kind of player. It sucks, because we all would love to see a hometown boy succeed long term on this team, and unfortunately DD is not that guy. So I hope for his sake, he can get a couple more years on another team and keep his NHL career alive. As for the Habs, it's obvious, he can't replace anyone of the centers and that includes Eller.

Which difficult choice ?
Just move him to the wing. What are they waiting for ?
You give Desharnais AND Eller (and the whole team, actually) a better chance to succeed.

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Imagine if the Habs ever signed a half Quebecois, half Russian black guy.

He would be fluent in Russian and French, but not English.
Frankov Bouillonovsky would definitely be the #1 scapegoat in here!

PS since when are you a mod?

Old
02-17-2013, 01:37 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Eller is Andrei Kostitsyn with less skills.

No hockey IQ whatsoever.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Darth Joker

It won't be long until Pleks and Galchenyuk are our Top Two Cs. It could be as soon as this coming October.

When that days comes, Eller or DD will have to settle for 3rd line C (because neither is well-suited for the wing). So this is a very good poll question, because I think it's a decision that Bergevin is going to have to make within the next 12 months.

Eller is better-suited to a 3rd line C role, imo. So presuming that the two have roughly equivalent trade value, I'd trade DD.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:51 PM
LyricalLyricist

Both. Both are support players and can be replaced. Depends the return of course and what type of player we target but I won't lose sleep over either.

Funny enough though, if we went on percieved value Eller could fetch a better return despite not even passing for a top 6 talent temporarily.

So whatever, DD is small and Eller is our future stud(like kostitsyns, perzehogin, etc...). Both aren't the best at their position. I'd rather a guy like Bolland than Eller anyday. A guy like Sutter as well. More intensity. I'd rather another plekanec like begeron or a legit top 6 winger like Ryan over DD in top 6 as well. Unfortunately, we don't really have this luxury.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Lizard King*

Desharnais and it's not even close.

The guy blows, RDS just makes him seem like the next Habs savior cause he's french.

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Both. Both are support players and can be replaced. Depends the return of course and what type of player we target but I won't lose sleep over either.

Funny enough though, if we went on percieved value Eller could fetch a better return despite not even passing for a top 6 talent temporarily.

So whatever, DD is small and Eller is our future stud(like kostitsyns, perzehogin, etc...). Both aren't the best at their position. I'd rather a guy like Bolland than Eller anyday. A guy like Sutter as well. More intensity. I'd rather another plekanec like begeron or a legit top 6 winger like Ryan over DD in top 6 as well. Unfortunately, we don't really have this luxury.
... but if both players agree to long terms deals with a cap hit of 2-3 M$ per season, they would become very valuable and cap friendly assets imo.

For instance, if Desharnais ask for 4M$+ per season, I would wish him luck... elsewhere. However if he agrees to sign a 4 years deal worth 8-10M$, he would become a very valuable, cap friendly and productive #2 (secondary scoring) centre imo. Same goes for Eller: at 2- 2,5M$ per season, his 3rd line input would be extremely valuable.

That’s why I consider both players as keepers. They are in no position to break the bank but their respective contribution is NHL quality. Use the saved money elsewhere: Cole's replacement, a big, experienced stay at home and rough D...

Old
02-17-2013, 02:07 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
... but if both players agree to long terms deals with a cap hit of 2-3 M$ per season, they would become very valuable and cap friendly assets imo.

For instance, if Desharnais ask for 4M$+ per season, I would wish him luck... elsewhere. However if he agrees to sign a 4 years deal worth 8-10M$, he would become a very valuable, cap friendly and productive #2 (secondary scoring) centre imo. Same goes for Eller: at 2- 2,5M$ per season, his 3rd line input would be extremely valuable.

That’s why I consider both players as keepers. They are in no position to break the bank but their respective contribution is NHL quality. Use the saved money elsewhere: Cole's replacement, a big, experienced stay at home and rough D...
Absolutely, at this point they are assets and HELP our team, both of them. It's just a question of role anyway. I like both so we'll see what happens but im going based on moving them. I'd keep both if we can fill our holes.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:09 PM
CN_paladin

Compared to MSL, DD's too slow to succeed in the NHL. Getting constantly banged up against the boards multiple times a night will eventually take a toll on him.

CN_paladin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Assuming a healthy Gallagher and considering how great 2. Pacioretty – Desharnais – Gallagher looked... I am sure that Cole is now feeling Eller’s breath in his neck!

Desharnais (as long as he does not ask for 4M$ per season) and Eller (maybe as a winger) are keepers.

Both players are part of the solution.

Btw... lol at everyone who accuse us of being paranoid (or playing the victim card... what a weird and weak argument!) when we mention that some posters in here hate everything that is French speaking Québécois. Luckily for us, they are a small minority and their idiocy does not alter the fact that hfboards is a great place.

Stop with Max-DD-Gallagher Line....

They've played 1 game and 1 period together.

In the 1 game...Gallagher got a concussions
In the 1 period...Gallagher got into a fight and got roughed up

2 small players at home on the same line is one thing.
But on the road, when you don't choose against who they play, is another thing.

Eller - DD - Cole had aan awesome games too, next game we changed everything.

They did good against a team that was playing badly all night long, 2 games in 2 night for the Flyers and in MTL.

Milhouse40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:28 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post

They did good against a team that was playing badly all night long, 2 games in 2 night for the Flyers and in MTL.
So you're saying we should trade Gallagher?

Old
02-17-2013, 02:32 PM
habsfanatics

DD isn't a problem at all. He's an asset to this team without a doubt, but he shouldn't be used as top 6 center. He should be exploiting 3rd lines. The problem is the supporting cast of guys in similar stature. Not enough meat in the top 6 and then if DD's used as a 3rd line center, not enough meat there either. We've done some good things to address this, but it's still a minor issue.

Pleks is smallish, dd is tiny, bgally is tiny(big heart), gionta is small (big heart). I would consider another changing of the guard, so to speak. I would move gio before DD and hope to either get picks/prospects or an equivalent big man who can play top 6.

Right now, I like our team. We've got some depth to handle injuries pretty well too.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post

I won't stop with 2. Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher because it is a very solid second line and yes, Gallagher, how he drives the net hard with speed, is a great complement to Desharnais' style of play and main force: his great vision.

Gallagher (and Pacioretty) does open up the middle and it does give Desharnais the space/time to create a play.

As for Eller, as I already mentioned, it’s only a matter of time before he locks himself a spot on 3rd and I am sure Cole is already feeling Eller’s breath in his neck.

PS Gallagher needs to learn how to protect himself; I will give you that.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Et le But

Joking or not, all the talk about hating guys because they are Quebecois is getting a little out of hand.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:03 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Joking or not, all the talk about hating guys because they are Quebecois is getting a little out of hand.
If anything, I think the criticism of DD (amongst honest users -- and they're not all honest... but most are) stems from the fact that DD isn't criticized enough in other (read, French) media. And that Eller was criticized (with cause, I might add) at the beginning of the season.

Lack of criticism of Desharnais, mixed with criticism of Eller, brought the current situation.

If anything, DD being French is (IMO) a factor. Albeit a very indirect one... amongst honest users at the very least.

The worst is -- Eller's future on the team doesn't have much to do with DD to be honest.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote