HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 01:41 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
I am getting more and more amused that people think this isn't our year. If you make it to the playoffs, anything is possible. The thing that gets me is that we are what, 7th overall in the league and our offense hasn't really shown up yet and we haven't been playing complete games yet here we are. Hmmmmm, sounds like something a good team does, win and amass points even when everything isn't clicking. What happens when this team starts clicking? Are we going to find excuses as to why this isn't our year?

Ask Dan Marino about this is the year. He went to the SB his first season and never made it back. We are always in the mix for the playoffs. Every team seems to have some sort of hole or problem in their lineup. No one is ever a clear cut winner for the Cup, that's why the games are played.

I am not advocating going out and getting someone this year by any means but I do get tired of the this isn't our year. Last year was supposedly our year and look how that turned out. Maybe this is our year. Maybe things will be harder to come by but the team is playing smothering style defense, which is one of the things you need to do to win a Cup. Do we have the offense, nope. Maybe adding someone that can put the biscuit in the basket is all we need.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Drake744
Keep Seth Jones

vCash: 325
I can only speak on the Preds-related stuff but here goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I look up and down Nashville's roster and wonder what type of impact someone like Richards or Gaborik can have.

I hate Fisher in the middle of your 1st line. Hate it. I'm sure Nashville's going to throw the moon at Getz this off-season, but I don't see him leaving Anaheim for some reason.
Yeah we aren't fans either but it is what it is. Trotz said he wanted to explore Colin Wilson at center this season but the lack of preseason really took that plan off the tracks. Fisher and Legwand are both fine 2nd or 3rd line centers but neither should be up at the top. That's been our achilles heel for yeeeeears, the lack of a bonafide top-line center. I'd like Getzlaf but Perry has been thrown around lately a little more here so that's interesting too. As has Stephen Weiss, but I feel the way about Weiss as you do about Getzlaf.

Quote:
How has Erat look on the left side throughout his career? I know he's on the right side now, but I recall years ago he was on the left, no? The combination of him and Gabby on a line can be flat out scary for the opposition. Erat's epically underrated by everyone outside of Nashville, it's ridiculous. But, he's also under the radar because of it.
I don't remember much about switching wings but I can say that Erat is really the only true first-line player we've got and I would assume, like you said, that he's very underrated outside of Nashville. We've never been an offensive style team but he's been the consistent mix of skill, toughness and grittiness that it takes to play for Trotz. I think our two-way system really puts a damper on what he can really do stats-wise. I'd really like to see him with another first-liner that can compliment him.

Quote:
Rangers might look to move Gabby during the offseason. Small possibility depending on a few things. 40G scorer. Doesn't need a 1C to be successful. 1 year remaining on his contract.

Richards produces. Rest of his game isn't what it used to be, but he can produce offensively. Although his cap hit is manageable, he's got a lot of years on his salary. And a NMC. There are so many 1C's in the league though. You either get lucky and draft one, then develop him. Or, offer the world and trade for one. Or, pray to the gods and hope you can obtain one via free-agency.

Rangers blue-line is stacked, but we could use help. Especially if it's a young guy that can grow with our core. Currently:
McDonagh(L)-Girardi(R)
Staal(L)-Del Zotto(L)
Stralman(R)-Gilroy(R)

McIlrath is expected to solidify the right side of our third-pairing late this season, or next year.

Stralman has been pleasant, but he's not the consistent puck-mover we could use. Aside for Del Zotto, our blue-line isn't the most dynamic when it comes down to offensive capabilities. We really could use a booming shot from the point, and from what I've seen, Ellis could be huge for our flowerplay. But I'm a huge fan of Blum and Josi too.

Just thinking out loud here. I think we can be good trade-partners, depending on which direction both of our teams go.

Is Leipsic the real deal, btw? Kid is on a tear.
As far as Blum, Ellis, and Josi go, I think they're tradeable (is that a word?) in that order. I like all three a lot, and Blum had a down year last season but he's showing a lot of improvement lately and it's looking promising. He was playing for us as early as mid 2010-2011 so he's got some experience and is finding his rhythm again. I'd see him being the one most likely to be dealt, but you've gotta give up something to get something. I don't know how much Blum is coveted around the league.

Ellis is someone I could see being dealt in a bigtime move, but I don't find it likely. He's got a cannon of a shot and is a prospect we really believe will be a stud one day. We were ecstatic that he dropped down as far as he did in the draft that season and we've been following him since that day. Admittedly I'm not the expert on looking at a guy's defensive tendencies and things like that but he's been pretty solid and is always a wild card because of his powerplay prowess. Always nice (for us) to have Weber and Ellis both shattering peoples legs with their shots on the PP.

Josi is pretty safe here in my mind. The second we lost Suter, we knew Josi was the guy. He resembles him in playing style for the most part and is quite simply being groomed to replace him. He's played well so far. Usually in good position, is a good puck mover, and is really just a very good player in the making. I really doubt we move him, especially as conservative as Poile tends to me. Even more so, how conservative he is regarding defense.

I don't know much about Leipsic other than him tearing it up this year, but I've read a lot about him being undersized and a guy that could have trouble adjusting to the NHL game, although it's just as likely he could grow into a solid producer it this level. We'll wait and see but it's certainly a good thing to keep our eyes on.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Yeah we aren't fans either but it is what it is. Trotz said he wanted to explore Colin Wilson at center this season but the lack of preseason really took that plan off the tracks. Fisher and Legwand are both fine 2nd or 3rd line centers but neither should be up at the top. That's been our achilles heel for yeeeeears, the lack of a bonafide top-line center. I'd like Getzlaf but Perry has been thrown around lately a little more here so that's interesting too. As has Stephen Weiss, but I feel the way about Weiss as you do about Getzlaf.
Rangers had the same issue for years.. 1C.. They went overboard to sign Richards because of his connection to Torts, and the overwhelming need for one. Hate his contract, but our chances for a cup increase significantly with him. We had Eric Christensen as our first line center at one point lol.

Quote:
I don't remember much about switching wings but I can say that Erat is really the only true first-line player we've got and I would assume, like you said, that he's very underrated outside of Nashville. We've never been an offensive style team but he's been the consistent mix of skill, toughness and grittiness that it takes to play for Trotz. I think our two-way system really puts a damper on what he can really do stats-wise. I'd really like to see him with another first-liner that can compliment him.
I think the system plays a role, but more importantly, the lack of elite company on his line for years.

Quote:
As far as Blum, Ellis, and Josi go, I think they're tradeable (is that a word?) in that order. I like all three a lot, and Blum had a down year last season but he's showing a lot of improvement lately and it's looking promising. He was playing for us as early as mid 2010-2011 so he's got some experience and is finding his rhythm again. I'd see him being the one most likely to be dealt, but you've gotta give up something to get something. I don't know how much Blum is coveted around the league.
Ellis is exactly what our PP needs, although Blum and Josi would both be of interest.

Quote:
Ellis is someone I could see being dealt in a bigtime move, but I don't find it likely. He's got a cannon of a shot and is a prospect we really believe will be a stud one day. We were ecstatic that he dropped down as far as he did in the draft that season and we've been following him since that day. Admittedly I'm not the expert on looking at a guy's defensive tendencies and things like that but he's been pretty solid and is always a wild card because of his powerplay prowess. Always nice (for us) to have Weber and Ellis both shattering peoples legs with their shots on the PP.
If Nashville was going to trade for either Gaborik or Richards, which players do you think would be involved?

Quote:
Josi is pretty safe here in my mind. The second we lost Suter, we knew Josi was the guy. He resembles him in playing style for the most part and is quite simply being groomed to replace him. He's played well so far. Usually in good position, is a good puck mover, and is really just a very good player in the making. I really doubt we move him, especially as conservative as Poile tends to me. Even more so, how conservative he is regarding defense.
Staal and McDonagh are the same mold. Solid two-way dmen. Excelling defensively, with some offensive competence. Neither player has that offensive punch that guys like Weber, MDZ, or Ellis have though. Josi's a very solid player.

Last edited by Boom Boom Geoffrion*: 02-16-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Drake744
Keep Seth Jones

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
If Nashville was going to trade for either Gaborik or Richards, which players do you think would be involved?
My opinions my be way off from anyone else's but probably for that type of return you could probably throw Ellis in there, and a high draft pick (although we didn't have a 1st rounder last year). That's where it starts to get tricky for me because we don't have the luxury to trade away any nice forwards also. You can start to mention Colin Wilson but we probably wouldn't want to give him away and would like to see what he can do with a bigtime player as he matures. Could say Erat, but like we said, we've always wanted to see him paired with another big offensive threat also. Craig Smith was supposed to be a good prospect that had some trade value but he hasn't done crap this season so he has no value. Then it's just role players for the most part.

I mean maybe with a depth d-man also coming in a trade we could put two of Blum, Ellis and Josi in a deal but really I don't think we have the pieces to do anything big in a trade. I think our best route is throwing a shart load of money at some good UFA forwards and hope they lose their dignity and sign here.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Soundgarden

I get that anything could happen any year and that we are in the top ten and winning games, but we're playing three defensemen with under 82 games of experience let them get settled. Weber is still getting used to playing without Suter, and most our forwards still need to think about warming up.

Rinne is being Rinne and he alone can carry this team to the playoffs and once there we could surprise, but I just think trading our top prospects, young contributing roster players and a top pick for a 35 year old rental will turn out bad again.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:47 PM
thecloser

WE NEED OFFENSE!! we looked alright tonight against Anaheim but we need a spark offensively.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:05 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
WE NEED OFFENSE!! we looked alright tonight against Anaheim but we need a spark offensively.
not gonna happen. neither will it in free agency. were nashville and we will always struggle to bring stars here. we have to do it through the draft and hope they dont skip town (suter) .. im actually content with this team. we're over-achieving with our roster.

sure would be nice to have a guy like kariya back if we're gonna be in a shootout every 3 games lol. i just assume a loss if it gets to a shootout.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:06 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Does the term purely offensively skilled player mean anything to this organization ... I'm about done with this **** & bull team... might go back to being an Oilers fan if the ownership doesn't force Poile to at least attempt to bring in a Kessel-esque player

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:06 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Does the term purely offensively skilled player mean anything to this organization ... I'm about done with this **** & bull team... might go back to being an Oilers fan if the ownership doesn't force Poile to at least attempt to bring in a Kessel-esque player
Ill never switch allegiances but I feel the same way to an extent. It's really sad through the duration of our franchise we have had issues getting potent scorers. We have only, truly, ever had one for 2 damn years.

People assume that if we get someone we are going to have to give up a lot.. Which we probably will. But a lot of you, like Poile are too safe. It not like we're gonna have Latta, Beck, Bourque, Aberg, Budish, Watson, Cehlin, Sissons, Kostitsyn, Hornqvist, Smith, Ekholm, Blum, Ellis, Josi, Hellberg, J.Smith, Lepsic, Salomaki, etc, all on our team at the same time. So I don't get the argument "can't be trading away out young prospects or players".. Half of them won't even be here in a few years anyway. It's how it works. Some will be on our roster, some other teams, some might fall into the abyss. But you can't just hold onto all these guys and expect them all to pan out. Something needs to be done. We need dire help up front.

Like someone else said before me, any year you make the playoffs can possibly be your year. So the "this isn't our year" **** doesn't really cut it either. You play to win. Every game. And if you're in the playoffs you can get that trophy. Any year can be the year.

And if we do trade for someone it's not gonna be for a 35-year-old rental

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Call me old fashioned, but I don't think that fan-ship is supposed to be contingent on success?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:58 AM
cleangene

Quote:
Like the Oils have been such the playoff juggernaut the past couple of years, right?

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:50 PM
thecloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post

People assume that if we get someone we are going to have to give up a lot.. Which we probably will. But a lot of you, like Poile are too safe. It not like we're gonna have Latta, Beck, Bourque, Aberg, Budish, Watson, Cehlin, Sissons, Kostitsyn, Hornqvist, Smith, Ekholm, Blum, Ellis, Josi, Hellberg, J.Smith, Lepsic, Salomaki, etc, all on our team at the same time. So I don't get the argument "can't be trading away out young prospects or players".. Half of them won't even be here in a few years anyway. It's how it works. Some will be on our roster, some other teams, some might fall into the abyss. But you can't just hold onto all these guys and expect them all to pan out. Something needs to be done. We need dire help up front.

So let's let some of them go and reach for Weiss, Kessel, someone to help in the goal scoring column. Also, why can't guys like Weber, Rinne, Erat, etc help bring some guys in. There's no denying the talent we have so why can't we land a Kessel or someone that can put 30g annually into the net. I just don't get it. We have the pieces to make a REAL trade that will help us more than it can hurt us (as long as we don't get a rental)

Playing it safe is overdone and overused for us, we need something that will help now and long term.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:34 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
So let's let some of them go and reach for Weiss, Kessel, someone to help in the goal scoring column. Also, why can't guys like Weber, Rinne, Erat, etc help bring some guys in. There's no denying the talent we have so why can't we land a Kessel or someone that can put 30g annually into the net. I just don't get it. We have the pieces to make a REAL trade that will help us more than it can hurt us (as long as we don't get a rental)

Playing it safe is overdone and overused for us, we need something that will help now and long term.
Exactly. All the excuses people have aren't legit excuses. We have all the tools and abilities to make a deal and get some help. Idk why some ppl aren't fed up with it. Poile even said we'd be spending to the cap this year. That obviously isn't gonna happen.

Ellis + Watson/Hornqvist + 1st can get us what we need.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:57 PM
thecloser

I agree with you with who we can send in a package but I'd rather throw Blum in than Ellis. Ellis has looked really good so far for us and has a really nice shot.

I'd say Blum + Watson/? + 1st or another pick.

I don't know about trading Hornqvist, he's been the only true perennial 25g-30g scorer for us in past years and I don't know about sending him away to get another 30g+ scorer. I feel that would maybe be a wash.

With that said, Poile saying he'd spend to cap probably isn't going to happen but if like someone said we're gonna have $20 mill to play with in the off-season then lets make a run at someone during the year (not a rental) and then sign another big piece or two smaller pieces to our puzzle in the off-season. We CAN do both. I know its a "crapshoot" season or whatever but it still doesn't mean we can't be big players in the trade game. We also need to be big players in free agency this year since there are some serious studs gonna be FA's.

Definitely throw money to Getzlaf and atleast try, pending he doesn't re-sign with ANA during the season. I definitely don't think Kessel is out of reach.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:48 PM
thecloser

I just messed around on capgeek and generated this. Traded blum+ for kessel and then signed getzlaf for $7mill and put it in this roster and we have money to do it. I'm not saying we could make both of these moves realistically but maybe we should try

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Sergei Kostitsyn ($3.000m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Martin Erat ($4.500m)
Gabriel Bourque ($0.775m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Patric Hornqvist ($3.250m)
Richard Clune ($0.525m) / Paul Gaustad ($3.250m) / Matt Halischuk ($0.866m)
Nick Spaling ($1.100m) / Colin Wilson ($2.000m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
Craig Smith ($2.000m) /
Ryan Getzlaf ($7.000m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Shea Weber ($7.857m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Hal Gill ($2.000m) / Ryan Ellis ($1.440m)
Roman Josi ($0.827m) /
GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($7.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,790,268; BONUSES: $600,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $1,109,732

Old
02-18-2013, 12:04 AM
nashpreds

Aren't Rebeiro and Roy free agents this summer? If we can't grab Weiss or the obvious number 1 choice Getzlaf, I'd like to see Poile go after one of them. With the way the caps are playing right now, its even a possibility to trade for Rebeiro at the deadline.

nashpreds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:23 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Exactly. All the excuses people have aren't legit excuses. We have all the tools and abilities to make a deal and get some help. Idk why some ppl aren't fed up with it. Poile even said we'd be spending to the cap this year. That obviously isn't gonna happen.

Ellis + Watson/Hornqvist + 1st can get us what we need.
Praytell exactly what that combo will get us. Name me a name not some mythical "top line forward"

Once you have named that name do two things: first, go to the board of the player we acquired and ask them if they think their team will part with said player for what you are offering, and second, fill in our lineup not just now but for the next three years with the changes you have proposed and see if it really looks like a better team.

There are two problems with armchair GMs on this message board... they always think that a superstar can behad if only poile had the balls to try and they always assume we can trade 4 assets for one and come out ahead... you guys would do well to remember this when people come calling wanting us to trade Weber for some similar package

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:51 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashpreds View Post
Aren't Rebeiro and Roy free agents this summer? If we can't grab Weiss or the obvious number 1 choice Getzlaf, I'd like to see Poile go after one of them. With the way the caps are playing right now, its even a possibility to trade for Rebeiro at the deadline.
no deals for impending UFAs at the deadline ANYMORE! if its not long term, pass!

Old
02-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Firestorm

It would be nice to get Ryan O'Reilly from the Avs, don't see it happening though.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:48 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

"Stephen Weiss" and "first line center" should not be allowed in the same sentence, unless there is an "is in no way a" between them.

Put another way: for his career, Weiss has .02 points per game more than Legwand, has cracked the 60 point barrier all of twice (Legwand has done it once), and is on a worse offensive pace than Legwand this season.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:42 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
"Stephen Weiss" and "first line center" should not be allowed in the same sentence, unless there is an "is in no way a" between them.

Put another way: for his career, Weiss has .02 points per game more than Legwand, has cracked the 60 point barrier all of twice (Legwand has done it once), and is on a worse offensive pace than Legwand this season.
thank you. weiss is another legwand but will be more expensive.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:22 PM
thecloser

a guy in the trade talks and free agents board offered;

Meyers, Ennis, and Ehrhoff for Weber and Wilson

umm no.

I do like Ennis and Ehrhoff, both of them out of practice today. Lots of speculation from the Buffalo side...

Old
02-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Firestorm

I don't think it would be a good idea to trade Hornqvist (even for a better skilled forward), we need at least one player like Hornqvist to be at the front of the net.

Trading Kostitsyn on the other hand...

Old
02-21-2013, 12:43 AM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

vCash: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Like the Oils have been such the playoff juggernaut the past couple of years, right?
True but that's probably more due to defense and goaltending. I mean just this year Edmonton has Hall,Eberle,Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:11 PM
thecloser

what are y'alls thoughts on Mike Cammalleri? I know he has a hefty contract but he may be available. I'm not saying I'm an advocate for getting him, I'm just wondering what you guys would think about him in NSH?