HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey : We're down to plan D

Old
07-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Stone Cutter

vCash: 500
Gainey : We're down to plan D

http://radio-canada.ca/sports/hockey...s-gainey.shtml

Interesting read from Radio-Canada. Here what it says in a nut shell.

Gainey: "we are now down to plan D. The list of UFA we targetted was short and several teams where competing with us".

Gainey tried to land Shanahan, Arnott and Elias.

Gainey joked about Mtl not being a good place to play, saying that players in L.A. would get stock in traffic or may fall in the ocean! He also said that they are still trying to get a player, but a good one. He also say: "Sykora is still available, so we'll see".

He's not ruling out a transaction but he will not make an offer to a RFA (gagné or bergeron). "it's not a way to get a player".

Last edited by Stone Cutter: 07-11-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Stone Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Interesting...I'm just wondering what was plan A, B and C...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:56 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Interesting...I'm just wondering what was plan A, B and C...
just a guess, but :

A: Patrick Elias

B: Jason Arnott

C: Brendan Shanahan

D: Samsonov/Sykora

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:57 PM
KBstyle

A: go to the beach

B: a round of golf

C: check the player who are avaible

D: make an offer

KBstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Bryzga lol*

You can't blame him...he tried, he made the best offers he could, made the best offers in some situations (Shanahan). In the end, he'll make a move, but even if he didn't, I don't think it would matter, the line up is still strong the way it is, especially with the prospects coming up.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ChemiseBleuHonnete

interesting....

That just pretty much confirms what everyone knew. He wants to improve, but he wants to spend his money wisely. That's good for our future with cap room and we can possibly make offers to better ufas in the future..... But that's a lot of ifs and we need to improve now in order to move forward (improving from last season). Don't forget that Bergeron and Toivonen are one year old, Boston improved via UFA, Toronto is stronger especially if Raycroft rebounds. Tampa got better too, with Denis they will compete with us in the standings. And it is harder to play in our division now... Ottawa got worse but they're still hard to beat, same with Buffalo.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Cutter View Post
http://radio-canada.ca/sports/hockey...s-gainey.shtml

Interesting read from Radio-Canada. Here what it says in a nut shell.

Gainey: "we are now down to plan D. The list of UFA we targeted whas short and several team where competing with us".

Gainey tried to land Shanahan, Arnott and Elias.

Gainey joked about the mtl not being a good place to play saying that players in L.A. would get stock in traffic or may fall in the ocean! He also said that they are still trying go get a player, but a good one. He also say: "Sykora is still available, so we'll see".

He's not ruling out a transaction but he will not make a offer to an RFA (gagné or bergeron). "it's not a way to get a player".
Well I guess we've got it solved. Gainey's not willing to win at any price. If he think's a particular move will make him look like a business man, even if it would improve the team, he wants no part of it. That's the hockey player in him talking.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bob Bastards

A: Jenna Jameson
B: Dirk Diggler
C: Lolo Ferrari
D: Paris Hilton <-- Come with a wash up goalies, so it's a plus...

Bob Bastards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:04 PM
KBstyle

I don't want any UFA, let play the young guys, they need experience for 2009

KBstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
just a guess, but :

A: Patrick Elias

B: Jason Arnott

C: Brendan Shanahan

D: Samsonov/Sykora
That's also how i see it

I would also add Anson Carter to Plan D.I have to admit that i'm not really thrilled to get any of those 3 players (D) unless they come in as a replacement for the Z man.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Cutter View Post
He's not ruling out a transaction but he will not make an offer to a RFA (gagné or bergeron). "it's not a way to get a player".
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Well I guess we've got it solved. Gainey's not willing to win at any price. If he think's a particular move will make him look like a business man, even if it would improve the team, he wants no part of it. That's the hockey player in him talking.
Name me one other GM that thinks differently and is busy handing out offer sheets to RFA's

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:14 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

I can't believe he is interested in Sykora. I'd rather have Zednik.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:18 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
Same.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:25 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
Name me one other GM that thinks differently and is busy handing out offer sheets to RFA's
Luongo got one. I don't know how much info about offer sheets are made available to the public since I don't remember a team being cited on the 8 million$ Luongo offer.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Artie

Quote:
Luongo got one. I don't know how much info about offer sheets are made available to the public since I don't remember a team being cited on the 8 million$ Luongo offer.
And that really worked out well for that team.

Hell for all we know it might have been Bob Gainey and even that was turned down!!!!

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post

Personnally, I wouldn't be interested in either of them. But if I had to choose I would go with Sykora for the only reason I could think of : he's more imaginative than Z, great in shootouts, and could be a better fit for Kovy.....

But my only concern is, what does it mean for Kosty? I would love to see what he can do beside Kovy.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:39 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake View Post
Personnally, I wouldn't be interested in either of them. But if I had to choose I would go with Sykora for the only reason I could think of : he's more imaginative than Z, great in shootouts, and could be a better fit for Kovy.....

But my only concern is, what does it mean for Kosty? I would love to see what he can do beside Kovy.
yes Kost+Kov =winnar.

Old
07-11-2006, 02:40 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Or so says Pednault. I don't think it's true but believe what you will. The point rem,ains that Gainey is right, it's not a good way to get players and every GM in the league knows it for reasons that are rather self-evident.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:41 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Interesting comments by BG, I see a trade in the near future because he knows It'll be tough to attract UFA's here.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wholeshow*

Quote:
wow you're clueless, have you ever heard of a salary cap? You don't break the bank for ONE player over a span of several years with the uncertainity of what the cap is going to be in future seasons. What if the cap decreases next year and we sign Jason Arnott to a 5 million dollar contract over 5 years? What if Arnott shows that his numbers from 2005 were just an anomaly? we'll be stuck with that albatross of a contract and we won't be able to resign the likes of andrei markov who is a MUCH important player than jason arnott. The elias contract that the devils gave was just ludicrous, yes....he's an extraordinary player but 7 years? The Cap could be back to 37 million by then...who knows?
the only player who we pursued who ended up with a short term contract was shanahan, and we outbid the rangers...yet he decided to go to the rags anyways. So yah, of course bob isn't trying.
Tell me genius, how good were the tampa bay lightning last season withh their 2 huge contracts? How good are they now with virtually the exact same team, minus modin and a lateral change in goaltending? How good were the Black Hawks last year? The penguins? There's no corey stillman's available at 1.9 million, bud.
When all of those players got signed to those ludicrious contracts last week, people were crying after every player went to a different team...regardless of how crappy they were (i'm talking about people like you who have NO clue about how to run a hockey team). While a couple posters such as myself were adamant that we were in the hunt for ONLY a few UFA's (elias, arnott and plan C...shanahan). We got close, but but atleast BG was fiscally responsible and didn't decide to handicap the team for future seasons. Perhaps if you can grasp the concept of short and LONG term planning, you'd make an interesting post for once. But till then, es tee eff u.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AH

Quote:

I still say it's bullsh*t. There have been three offer sheets (confirmed) in the NHL in the last 10 years. During that time, there must have been at least 75 different NHL GMs and at least 45 different majority owners of NHL teams. You obviously know better than any of these 120 people who have run hockey teams over the last decade.

But go ahead and blame Bob Gainey for something that is clearly not even remotely close to being kosher aorund the NHL.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:43 PM
viasyncro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Same.
I'd prefer Sergei Kosts than Zednick or Sykora

viasyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:45 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
I still say it's bullsh*t. There have been three offer sheets (confirmed) in the NHL in the last 10 years. During that time, there must have been at least 75 different NHL GMs. But go ahead and blame Bob Gainey for something that is clearly not even remotely close to being kosher aorund the NHL.
bigtimer is one of the more incompetent posters in this forum, perhaps he should have an avatar that says 'slow' so all the readers will know to take his posts with a grain of salt.
"what did that fool just say?...oh wait...he's one of THOSE people"

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:45 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by viasyncro View Post
I'd prefer Sergei Kosts than Zednick or Sykora
You mean Andrei?

Old
07-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Stone Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs911 View Post
Interesting comments by BG, I see a trade in the near future because he knows It'll be tough to attract UFA's here.
I have to agree with you and I'm guessing that Bob is now very cheap in his offers to Sykora and others because he may feel that he could end up with some sorte of Havlat deal falling on his lap, maybe not now, but some time during the season.

So I guess unless Sykora, Samsonov or any other wish to play here for cheap, we will not see a UFA signing... all that to keep our options open and see if the kids can step-up

Stone Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote