HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

It's Time to Tank: Who Gets Moved

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 08:48 AM
SufferingCatFan

vCash: 500
It's Time to Tank: Who Gets Moved

May be a tad early for this thread, but, in a shortened season, it seems unlikely that we can dig our way out of this hole. If it doesn't turn around over the next two weeks, we need to start positioning ourselves for next season, which means going with youth, trading vets and tanking so we can get the lowest possible in a great draft.

Anyone else agree?

Last edited by angry_treefrog: 03-10-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old
02-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
May be a tad early for this thread, but, in a shortened season, it seems unlikely that we can dig our way out of this hole. If it doesn't turn around over the next two weeks, we need to start positioning ourselves for next season, which means going with youth, trading vets and tanking so we can get the lowest possible in a great draft.

Anyone else agree?
Trade a goalie or demote him, whatever ..and call up Markstrom.

First step to save our season! Unchecked

Old
02-17-2013, 09:52 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

100% agree time for the youth movement.

get rid of the old goalies, bring in the young one, lets see what happens.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:59 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Then we need the ultimate tank commander..

Old
02-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Then we need the ultimate tank commander..

How about we just bring back Bouw?

Old
02-17-2013, 10:24 AM
harv3317

i don't think we have to tank!! i think we will be a lottery pick no matter what we do!!!! i think we'll see some players moved at the deadline, if not before. love to see parros, kovalev, kuba, upshall, jovo moved if possible. possibly weiss, steeger. we'll see how it shakes out, but i don't see us making the postseason. last year somehow the stars were aligned. this year reality has struck!!!!

Old
02-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Either we make moves to make us better now or let's deal Weiss, Versteeg

Old
02-17-2013, 10:36 AM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

After being at yesterday's third overtime loss in a row, I couldn't help but think that it's almost impossible to make the postseason now unless a miracle happens. I know we're only 14 out of 48 games into the season, but unless we win about 2/3 of the games remaining, I don't see much hope left since we've put ourselves into such a deep hole.

Can someone confirm about how the draft is going to work this year over who gets which pick? I've heard something that all fourteen teams that don't make the playoffs have an even chance at landing the #1 overall pick. Is that true?

Old
02-17-2013, 11:03 AM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
After being at yesterday's third overtime loss in a row, I couldn't help but think that it's almost impossible to make the postseason now unless a miracle happens. I know we're only 14 out of 48 games into the season, but unless we win about 2/3 of the games remaining, I don't see much hope left since we've put ourselves into such a deep hole.

Can someone confirm about how the draft is going to work this year over who gets which pick? I've heard something that all fourteen teams that don't make the playoffs have an even chance at landing the #1 overall pick. Is that true?
Yes. But the amount of balls the team who just missed the playoffs would be very small compared to the team who got the least amount of points in the season.

Most likely #30 team will get 6-12 balls, and #17 team will get 1 ball.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Not enough time to get into it, but no it's not time, and teams don't tank. I see improvements in areas, namely the bottom 3 lines, but certain players on D, the top line, and our goalies need to wake up.

Honestly would like to see Weiss moved at this point, for D help, Kuli moved for ROR.

02-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Leafspanthersfan

Why would you want your team to tank 14 games in? The last 3 games could have been 3 wins vs 3 OT loses. 2 of them should have been wins in regulation. They would have moved up in the standings if they had to of hung on and there wouldn't be any discussion on tanking.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:09 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafspanthersfan View Post
Why would you want your team to tank 14 games in? The last 3 games could have been 3 wins vs 3 OT loses. 2 of them should have been wins in regulation. They would have moved up in the standings if they had to of hung on and there wouldn't be any discussion on tanking.
They could have been three wins, but they weren't.

They should have been wins in regulation, but they weren't.

They would have moved up, but they couldn't.

... and the fact that they couldnt... the fact that they just got manhandled in two consecutive games by the only team in the Eastern Conference worse than them up to this point.... THAT is why it is time to consider whether it is time to fold the tents.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Cats Kneading Goals
Man In Black

Standing pat with a bad team is tanking if it's not full of youngsters. I don't know any other way of viewing it.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:57 PM
pantherbot

no it's still early. I don't have much confidence we will make the playoffs, but it would send a bad signal to the youngsters and create a miserable environment to play in.

even if we waited until the trade deadline to tank it wouldn't be too late to get into draft position.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Erick

No, we can still make the playoffs.

Let's just put the Rangers ahead of Ottawa because we know the Rangers are a playoff caliber team.

After that, all the teams look pretty mediocre for the race to 8th. Remember, Ottawa lost Karlsson for the year.

Even Toronto and Montreal who are 5th & 6th respectively, I'm not yet completely sold on those teams.

Let the team play half the season first, then decide. As frustrating as it has been, we're still 3-1-4 in our last 8, despite inconsistent goaltending and no production from the first line.

We also have games in hand on some of the teams that are barely ahead of us at the moment.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Tallon will wait until the deadline to sell, no reason to do it before then. Like others have said, it sends a bad message to the team. We'll still get a top 5 pick.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Leafspanthersfan

Tallon will not throw in the towel. He didn't sign up to tank a season to get draft picks! Lots of time to get the team going in the right direction.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:13 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafspanthersfan View Post
Tallon will not throw in the towel. He didn't sign up to tank a season to get draft picks! Lots of time to get the team going in the right direction.
Not really. http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/E...t/Florida.html

We'd have to go 19-10-5 in the rest of our games to have an 82.4% chance of making the playoffs. That seems highly unlikely unless we go on a huge winning streak very soon. Off the top of my head, I think the longest winning streak we had last year was 4 games in a row to put things in perspective.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:55 PM
RECsGuy*

You guys are 1.5 games out. Relax. Either recall Markstrom or trade for Luongo. If not for goaltending, the Panthers would be currently holding down a playoff spot. True story.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
I really hope Bjustad is ready next season.

Btw.. KHL playoffs are about to start. If Kostitsin is outed in the 1rst round does he come over?

Old
02-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
You guys are 1.5 games out. Relax. Either recall Markstrom or trade for Luongo. If not for goaltending, the Panthers would be currently holding down a playoff spot. True story.
You're looking at the wrong math. 4% chance of making the playoffs.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:26 PM
SufferingCatFan

Good point. A 4% chance of making the playoffs equates to a 96% chance of NOT making the playoffs, if my math is correct.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:30 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

34 games left, 11 divisional games left, 5pts out of 1st in Southeast.

Why give up now? What is tanking and getting a good prospect going to do for us this year or next? I doubt it will suddenly change the dynamic of this team. How many more prospects do we need? I don't think Tallon is going to do anything major this year other than the possibility of moving Weiss at the deadline. We could still have a playoff team, trade Weiss if it comes down to it, package him with our 2nd round pick and turn it into a 1st round pick if not more. We would then have two 1st round picks making everyone happy.

People calling for a trade of Kulikov need to count to 10 and just let the kid learn from his mistakes to fine-tune his game and ultimately give the kid a break, He's 22 years old. He has 3/4 of a season left to change your mind.

Unfortunately Kuba has not been peforming to his $4million salary so far with him playing (14 games, getting 3 assists and being a -9 rating) but really, either has Garrison in Vancouver who has played (13 games with a goal and an assist and +7rating). People would be at Tallon if we re-signed him for that contract and he only got 2 pts so far.

Unfortunately we have over-spent on Upshall and Jovo and we are stuck with them unless Jovo retires this year or next and Upshall is traded for a pick to relieve his salary.

We need to focus on tightening up in our own zone with better positioning, effort and communication from ALL players. The forwards are out of position mostly and the D is not clearing the front of the net which leaves Theo and Clem high and dry but they also need to be more consistent. When we panic in our zone and overthink the game, we cause alot of problems for ourselves. Dineen needs to practice positioning and breakouts all day if need be.

There's been some bright spots but mostly disappointment so far with the two recent heart-breakers with Washington and Tampa along with the 3 blowouts we've had. Everyone has to vent to let the passionate frustration for this team out someway but I know everyone here wants to see nothing but success for this team.

We have to admit the games are more exciting lately, the focus and effort in our defensive zone needs alot of work but I still believe we can turn this around and fight for the Southeast title and/or a playoff spot.

"Some people may call me a dreamer but I'm not the only one"

Last edited by CanadianPanther: 02-17-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old
02-17-2013, 04:41 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
You're looking at the wrong math. 4% chance of making the playoffs.
That's a 4% chance of making the playoffs at the rate of us keeping a pace of a 4-6 record though right? If we get above .500 then the % will be different.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Erick

The % #'s are a bunch of crap. Honestly, who cares? They change every game.
I remember last year how everyone made a big deal about them, and they went up and down like a yo-yo every game.

The only time those %'s mean anything is near the end of the season. Not when you're 3 or 4 points out of a playoff spot with 34 to go.

If you think the team should tank, it's because you believe the team is just really bad, not because of the % #'s.

Closed Thread