HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 01:13 PM
candyman82

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by postalpez View Post
So, who do we take with the first pick?
That's hard. My gut still says MacKinnon, but it's hard to justify passing on Seth Jones

Old
02-17-2013, 01:18 PM
alphafox

Quote:
IMO its still Makinnon. However, I would be in no way upset with taking Jones (as many prior to I have said a Murray-Jones pairing has the potential to be one of the best in the NHL), they are 1a and 1b. Since it is so close I think we take Mackinnon as he brings things that the organization is completely lacking, he's extremely fast and his skating is elite, one of the best shots in the draft, and he's already developing a toews/crosby like ability to play well defensively and turn that defensive play into offensive opportunity.

Jones is an awesome talent as is Mac. Mac just fills a lot more holes in our organization.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

If it's first overall, it's MacKinnon for me.

If it's second overall, it's whoever is left between MacKinnon and Jones. Those two players are simply ahead of the pack for me. The next "tier" would include Barkov, Drouin, Nichuskin, and Monahan. Those are all quality players, but I don't think any of them reach the same level as Jones or MacKinnon.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I feel it should be pointed out that a significant part of WHY we get "too good" at the end of the year is because teams stop taking us seriously and walk in assuming they'll get two points easily.

And that kind of also contributes significantly to a culture of laziness.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
02-17-2013, 01:37 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
If it's first overall, it's MacKinnon for me.

If it's second overall, it's whoever is left between MacKinnon and Jones. Those two players are simply ahead of the pack for me. The next "tier" would include Barkov, Drouin, Nichuskin, and Monahan. Those are all quality players, but I don't think any of them reach the same level as Jones or MacKinnon.
I was fighting the Drouin bandwagon for a while, but i've been won over. I think Drouin can be as good as the first two, but its going to depend on him simplifying his game. He's got the smarts and the hands to be a superstar, but he has to simplify his game.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:32 PM
postalpez

I lean MacKinnon's way. I thought it would be about even with Jones, given how many HFers love American players and like the blue out model.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Needles

Quote:
Jarmo once drafted a defenceman (consensus #1 pick) first overall. It is still probably the most criticized move of his career. I have to put my money on MacKinnon.

Here's how I see it:

First rounder #1: a skill guy (MacKinnon)
First rounder #2: a character guy
First rounder #3: a surprise pick (David Perron in 2007)

Old
02-17-2013, 02:54 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Seth Jones. I would be happy with drafting Jones or MacKinnon though. Also, I like Drouin and Barkov. It would be so awesome if we could get 2 top 10 picks, because there are quite a few guys I really like.

Last edited by RDriesenUD: 02-17-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old
02-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Drouin has continually impressed me, I hope we go with him as he has the best upside IMO. I can see MacKinnon being the pick due to his relative safety as an NHLer but I want Drouin. I'll be pissed if we take Jones, we're awful because we can't score with any consistency, once we start doing that our dmen will stop taking bad pinches and our goalies will relax. Resulting in a lower goals against average.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:46 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Can't tell if sarcastic or not.

Trading for Luongo now would kill our depth, we have to build upon what we already have. We have two goaltenders with potential, a loaded back end with potential oozing out, and absolutely bare bones offense with the exception of a few players. We have depth that we need to add onto, not trade away. Making a move for Luongo would be another "quick fix" Howson-esk move.
Here's a hint

Old
02-17-2013, 03:57 PM
EspenK

Although his uniform looks like he is auditioning for a spot as a NASCAR driver and I'm not sure this would be legal int he NHl this is a pretty cool (showing age) nasty (trying to be hip) shootout goal

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...-shootout-goal

Would it be good in the NHL? He definitely skates back and draws the puck back before shooting imo.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:25 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Although his uniform looks like he is auditioning for a spot as a NASCAR driver and I'm not sure this would be legal int he NHl this is a pretty cool (showing age) nasty (trying to be hip) shootout goal

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...-shootout-goal

Would it be good in the NHL? He definitely skates back and draws the puck back before shooting imo.
Yeah, he never stops his forward movement toward the net. Datsyuk has a similar goal, though I have no idea where to find it

Old
02-17-2013, 04:45 PM
daynus

friendly visit flyers board

some guys on the flyers board cheer for you guys cuz of bob. and i am warming up to your organization, and you guys have murray from just outside of regina,sk.. but what impresses me the most is you guys have one tough team. you guys have had some bad luck, losing lottos to edmonton, having a bad gm. but their is light at the end of the tunnel. your guys new gm is gonna bring in a boat load of talent. so what do you guys have for this draft 2 ones, 3 ones. the one from LA looks like it could be very good. what i would reccommend is go bpa. if you get pick 1, seth jones, if its 2 then mackinnon. then bpa with other ones. and if you have pick 1 round 2, gonna be a long night for your gm, in a good way. that pick is golden. gonna have lots of gms phoning for a chance to get the guy that slipped out of round 1. and if they dont offer enough, keep it and grab your guy. anyways goodluck eh.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
Yeah, he never stops his forward movement toward the net. Datsyuk has a similar goal, though I have no idea where to find it

Old
02-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Drouin has continually impressed me, I hope we go with him as he has the best upside IMO. I can see MacKinnon being the pick due to his relative safety as an NHLer but I want Drouin. I'll be pissed if we take Jones, we're awful because we can't score with any consistency, once we start doing that our dmen will stop taking bad pinches and our goalies will relax. Resulting in a lower goals against average.
That's fair, but this reminds me continuously of the argument people had for Matt Duchene against John Tavares in 2009. Duchene has turned into a great NHL player, but Tavares has proven once again that, sometimes it's the less flashy, more well rounded player that turns into the better player. I think MacKinnon's vision is higher than Drouin's, and though he isn't as creative or flashy, I really believe he is the better hockey player, and in the long run is more of a game changer than Drouin is.

I'm a big fan of Drouin, and I thought his WJC performance was a real eye opener for a lot of people. I still don't see him going above third overall.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
That's fair, but this reminds me continuously of the argument people had for Matt Duchene against John Tavares in 2009. Duchene has turned into a great NHL player, but Tavares has proven once again that, sometimes it's the less flashy, more well rounded player that turns into the better player. I think MacKinnon's vision is higher than Drouin's, and though he isn't as creative or flashy, I really believe he is the better hockey player, and in the long run is more of a game changer than Drouin is.

I'm a big fan of Drouin, and I thought his WJC performance was a real eye opener for a lot of people. I still don't see him going above third overall.
Interesting. I don't know how the 09 draft class played going into the final few months so maybe you could key me in. Was Duchene out producing Tavares by a lot like Drouin is with MacKinnon? I know most people try to find knocks on kids that have been talked about for awhile. All that considered I expect Mac to be the pick for his more well rounded NHL game.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:45 PM
alphafox

Quote:

Yeah, I still think Mac will be the better player Drouin has just elevated himself into my tier 2. (Tier 1 is Jones & Mac, Tier 2 is Barkov and Drouin)

What do you think of the new ISS rankings? I am still really surprised by alot of their choices (particularly where guys like Nichushkin, Barkov, Domi, Erne, and Mantha are ranked, or in the case of Mantha not ranked)

Old
02-17-2013, 05:50 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

LA Lost again today in regulation. NYR Losing 1-0 after 1 to Washington. Good news so far

Old
02-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Barkov is going to be a player.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:57 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Barkov is going to be a player.
Some might argue that he already is

Old
02-17-2013, 05:57 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
LA Lost again today in regulation. NYR Losing 1-0 after 1 to Washington. Good news so far
A Caps win/Ranger loss would be double good news

Old
02-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Interesting. I don't know how the 09 draft class played going into the final few months so maybe you could key me in. Was Duchene out producing Tavares by a lot like Drouin is with MacKinnon? I know most people try to find knocks on kids that have been talked about for awhile. All that considered I expect Mac to be the pick for his more well rounded NHL game.
Everyone was picking Tavares apart. Rumors were that he wasn't motivated enough, was a poor skater, etc ... whereas the flashy, speedy Duchene began to quickly earn comparisons to Joe Sakic and the like. I avoid the main boards like the plague nowadays, but there were many "Duchene is better lulz" posts going on, which led to many wild debates.

It happens every year, when a guy is #1 from start to finish. The one recent instance that might actually prove my theory backwards is the 2010 Taylor vs. Tyler debate ... as of right now, Tyler Seguin has seen far more success than Taylor Hall has.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Everyone was picking Tavares apart. Rumors were that he wasn't motivated enough, was a poor skater, etc ... whereas the flashy, speedy Duchene began to quickly earn comparisons to Joe Sakic and the like. I avoid the main boards like the plague nowadays, but there were many "Duchene is better lulz" posts going on, which led to many wild debates.

It happens every year, when a guy is #1 from start to finish. The one recent instance that might actually prove my theory backwards is the 2010 Taylor vs. Tyler debate ... as of right now, Tyler Seguin has seen far more success than Taylor Hall has.
Hall has scored more points and in fewer games, so I'd rather have him. But Seguin just happened to be on the better team.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:35 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Hall has scored more points and in fewer games, so I'd rather have him. But Seguin just happened to be on the better team.
Hall was also guaranteed 1st line minutes the second he stepped onto the ice and Seguin had to battle for his spots by going through the 3rd and 4th line.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Byrral

Right now I think Seguin is a better all around player than Hall. I agree with TW that playing on Boston has helped Seguin. But Taylor has mad skill and can snipe. It will be fun watching these two develop over the next several years to see who ends up the better talent.

Closed Thread