HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bennett recalled again on 4/7

Old
02-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
He should be here until we bring in someone better in a trade at least. If we take anyone out of the line-up right now it should be TK for Jeffrey.
I agree. TK hasn't been performing up to snuff.

We'll see how much rope he gets.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Hopefully he gets a rope that stretches from Pittsburgh to MN/STL/CO/ etc.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Amen. He's totally redundant here.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
i thought that sentence was going to be much worse than it was

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:28 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I agree. TK hasn't been performing up to snuff.

We'll see how much rope he gets.
He's already gotten enough to hang half the city of Pittsburgh.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Pancakes

Laughing my ass off at the last couple of responses.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
He's already gotten enough to hang half the city of Pittsburgh.
True. Hope he turns it around quickly enough to be decent trade fodder.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:22 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
He's been wearing 19 ever since.

He wore 19 during the rookie camps, he wore it during the shortened camp, the only reason he wore 13 in WBS is because 9 and 19 were not available numbers.

Here is him at the scrimmage wearing 19.

I think he wore 9 with Denver.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I think he wore 9 with Denver.
I know, I'm saying with the Penguins, he wore #19, he switched to #13 in WBS because Brian Gibbons wears #9 and Philippe Dupuis wears #19

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:21 AM
Illinest

Well I was going to post this in the post-game but it was inexplicably closed before I could get to it.

Saw the first period and most of the third - I watched Bennett exclusively when he was on the ice. I don't know what to think about him because he seemed to be trying to play responsibly from blueline to blueline but at the same time he didn't seem to be all that quick in getting to the puck or to the spot where he needed to be. I guess tentativeness could be it but I'm not seeing explosiveness and that makes me wonder about what kind of player he's going to be.

I was happy to see that he apparently has no qualms about going into the corners or attacking the crease but again - when he arrives there doesn't seem to be performing his actions with a strong sense of purpose. I hope he's just adjusting and I hope he keeps working on his skating.

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:01 AM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinest View Post
Well I was going to post this in the post-game but it was inexplicably closed before I could get to it.

Saw the first period and most of the third - I watched Bennett exclusively when he was on the ice. I don't know what to think about him because he seemed to be trying to play responsibly from blueline to blueline but at the same time he didn't seem to be all that quick in getting to the puck or to the spot where he needed to be. I guess tentativeness could be it but I'm not seeing explosiveness and that makes me wonder about what kind of player he's going to be.

I was happy to see that he apparently has no qualms about going into the corners or attacking the crease but again - when he arrives there doesn't seem to be performing his actions with a strong sense of purpose. I hope he's just adjusting and I hope he keeps working on his skating.
IMO we should give dangles a few games before making any observations on him. He does seem to get pushed around but you can just tell hes extremely nervous. During a shift with crosby you could tell he was trying to do to much. I think the best way thing to do is to have bylsma/shero talk him and try to relax him and tell him to just get used to the game rather than impress then send him down with all the confidence and kill it in the last 30ish games.

Malkinstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

So Despres and Bortuzzo will share the No. 6/7 D positions, and Bennett and Vitale are the only two forwards who will sit if Boychuk and Jeffrey get back in. This is the Pittsburgh way.

Kennedy has nothing to worry about, imo. Disco will never bench him. Prove me wrong, Disco.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:40 PM
wtbipyo

Did I click the the TK thread by accident?

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I agree. This thread is displaying too much Kennedy right now. Back to Dangles.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:24 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
So Despres and Bortuzzo will share the No. 6/7 D positions, and Bennett and Vitale are the only two forwards who will sit if Boychuk and Jeffrey get back in. This is the Pittsburgh way.

Kennedy has nothing to worry about, imo. Disco will never bench him. Prove me wrong, Disco.
Sorry Chi Chi, but I have to make one point re. benching Kennedy: this is NOT a good message to send to other teams if Kennedy is on the trade block (which he may very well could be). Keep playing him, and show both TK and other GMs the confidence in him. I have no problem moving him in a trade, but until such a trade actually happens, it would hurt his value to bench him. And while TK played like utter garbage to start the year, at least the effort and chances have been a lot better the last 3 games. This makes sense given there was no training camp and he wasn't playing overseas, so let's keep him in there until a trade for another RW gets completed.

And on that note, which is relevant to the whole BB/Boychuk/Jeffrey/Kennedy discussion, the latter is the only one who plays the right side. BB is definitely better on the left side, and I think if Jeffrey is going to play wing and not centre, LW is probably where he'll fare better at. So the debate of who should play 2nd or 3rd line LW amongst those first 3 guys is a fair one, but as far as TK goes, I don't really think he's in the same conversation because he's a pure RW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
This is where I am, and sending him down is the only way to guarantee he WON'T adjust. Has to keep playing through it.
I TOTALLY disagree. Look at Bennett's ex-teammate Jason Zucker. I believe that if Beau played in the AHL next season (which I don't think he will, because I think by then he'll be with the club full-time), he could put up similar PPG and higher goal-scoring numbers. But as good as Beau has performed, he has another level of dominance he can reach at the AHL level, and I totally believe he can and will gain a lot if he is sent back down for the balance of the season.

The most important things for BB in my mind are 1) confidence, which he is as much or more likely to get from dominating as the best forward in WBS; and 2) continuing the conditioning. Another summer spent training with TR -- especially now knowing the mindset of exactly what the NHL game is like and what he needs to work on to be a dominant player at that level -- will serve BB extremely well, and put him in a great position to not only make the big club next season, but produce in an impactful way.

I still believe this is the best case scenario for Beau Bennett, and let's be honest: as good as he has been in WBS this season, he hasn't been "too good for that league" and is really only up here right now by default, because the other players haven't produced. I have no problem with him getting a cup of coffee here, but I thiink the better scenario is to trade a Dman or D-prospect for an established RW for this season, and then let Bennett come in next year for LW when he is unequivocally ready.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I still believe this is the best case scenario for Beau Bennett, and let's be honest: as good as he has been in WBS this season, he hasn't been "too good for that league" and is really only up here right now by default, because the other players haven't produced. I have no problem with him getting a cup of coffee here, but I thiink the better scenario is to trade a Dman or D-prospect for an established RW for this season, and then let Bennett come in next year for LW when he is unequivocally ready.
So? Neither was Despres, and he's clearly better suited for the NHL right now. Like Despres I think Bennett's game will blossom quicker playing with high-skill players.

Bennett took a handful games to adjust to the AHL -- he'll need the same for the NHL. I think he needs to stay and get his NHL legs under him.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Guins71

I think Bennett has showed me enough that he is ready to play with either Sid or Malkin for an extended period. Not 1 game. Not 3 shifts. I'm talking 10 games. I think he has the skill level to fit in and thrive.

Guins71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guins71 View Post
I think Bennett has showed me enough that he is ready to play with either Sid or Malkin for an extended period. Not 1 game. Not 3 shifts. I'm talking 10 games. I think he has the skill level to fit in and thrive.
He's looked smart out there at both ends of the ice. DB's been very complementary too, but said that he doesn't want him to throw him to the wolves with too many minutes right off the bat, which is what he would get if he were to play a regular role with Sid or Geno right now.

For now, I'm fine with him easing in on the 3rd line and only seeing spot top 6 duty. Even ultra-skilled guys like Datsyuk and Giroux broke in on their teams' checking lines.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

He needs more time than he's getting right now though. At least a third of his shifts.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

I think Bennett's current ice time is fine. If he does cool **** to merit more, great. Otherwise just play him like this (an investment for next season) until we pick up an actual solution for the current season at the deadline or before.
At that point Bennett might as well go back to the AHL. I very much doubt that he is or should be making the team in the post-season this year.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Honour Over Glory

Bylsma is doing a wonderful job of turning Beau into a solid 3rd line winger, jokes aside, I would like to see the guy get more "spot duty" in the top 6.

Also, TK needs to go on some scoring streak so his value goes up and Shero can trick some poor sucker into thinking he's worth more than he really is.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Bylsma is doing a wonderful job of turning Beau into a solid 3rd line winger.

Oh wait, what was Beau meant to be again? Doesn't matter.
He's meant to develop into a top 2 line winger at some point. A lot of prospects across the league are handled this way. They start out in the bottom 6 and earn more. I really don't get why Pens fans think young players should be handed everything.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:10 PM
Wes C Addle
Bernard Shakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Bylsma is doing a wonderful job of turning Beau into a solid 3rd line winger, jokes aside, I would like to see the guy get more "spot duty" in the top 6.
I missed his first 2 games, and didn't pay enough attention last night, but has he gotten any shifts at all so far with Sid or Geno? One would think at least a shift a period with one of them wouldn't kill him or the team.

Wes C Addle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:15 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
He's meant to develop into a top 2 line winger at some point. A lot of prospects across the league are handled this way. They start out in the bottom 6 and earn more. I really don't get why Pens fans think young players should be handed everything.
Because they think every Pens prospect is another Malkin or Crosby.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:28 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
He needs more time than he's getting right now though. At least a third of his shifts.
He is getting a 3rd of his shifts in the top 6.

DB explicitly mentioned that he was getting 4-5 shifts a game on the Geno/Neal line in his first two games, where he had 12 and 15 shifts, respectively.