HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why do we whine so much?

Old
02-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBSauce View Post
Always lurking but come out of the woodshed to post when we aren't doing welll.

I've been thinking that the reason for my frustration for this team is that they are the exact contrast to the pre 2005 lockout Sharks. The pre lockout sharks were always fun to cheer for since they worked hard, had less skill than the other teams they faced (especially playoff runs), and never questioned their identity of a hard working, grind out a win team.

The past 7 seasons of Sharks hockey I feel like I've never thought regularly we would outwork the other team to get a win, and we never worked hard enough to get the bounces that went against us.

That said, I will always stick with the team in highs or lows but I'm disappointed with the vision (or lack their of) this team and organization has.

I support trades, coaching, or management changes in the coming months but if they don't change I will still be a sucker and rally for them since I will always be a sharks fan, 7 game streak or slide.

Go Sharks
you should lurk less often ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Because the team has never achieved anything despite always being good and never great, which is the worst spot to be. I'd honestly much rather we be that one ****** team than that one good team that's just "there", which is all the franchise ever seems to be.
might want to do a history check..the Sharks haven't always been good..believe me.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Because the team has never achieved anything despite always being good and never great, which is the worst spot to be. I'd honestly much rather we be that one ****** team than that one good team that's just "there", which is all the franchise ever seems to be.
I think this has something to do with it. It feels like the team is stationary. If they were just flat out terrible, at least it would feel like they have a direction. It just feels like we're some what stuck in the middle. I love the sharks though, and will support them regardless.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Yeah right. You would be equally if not madder than you are now.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

I think another factor that maybe we don't take into account is that the Sharks need playoff revenue. A rebuild would most likely result in some pretty poor seasons..its hard to root for a losing team and I don't know how patient our fanbase would be with a true blow it up style rebuild. This place is melting down after a losing streak.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:44 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Why do we whine?

Dw hasnt traded marleau yet

Clowe cant skate

Murray cant skate either

Tmac wasnt fired a year ago like he shoulda been

We arent quick enough

We suck.

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:49 PM
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug

The notion that this fanbase is spoiled is comical. We're talking about a league where over half the teams make the playoffs every year. I guess we should all feel blessed to have those Regular Season Champions banners hanging from the rafters.

LeeIFBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:57 PM
SJSharks42

Because the ****ing Ducks are better than we are.

SJSharks42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBSauce View Post

That said, I will always stick with the team in highs or lows but I'm disappointed with the vision (or lack their of) this team and organization has.
Ditto.

I'd also add that being in a non-traditional market on the west coast also adds to the pessimism as a fanbase. It feels like the Sharks have to do it better than most other teams to be taken as seriously.

Last edited by Eighth Fret: 02-17-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Hertl My Pickles
(ง •̀_•́)ง

vCash: 97
Because the refs never drop the puck

Hertl My Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

LA: 26 playoff appearances in 44 seasons. 1 Cup win and another Cup final appearance.

Anaheim: 8 playoff appearances in 19 seasons. 1 Cup win and another Cup final appearance.

San Jose: 15 playoff appearances in 20 seasons. 0 Cup final appearances.

Thats why we whine.

Evincar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:40 PM
HBSauce
Dirts McGirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
you should lurk less often ...

Indeed.

HBSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:09 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
I'd also add that being in a non-traditional market on the west coast also adds to the pessimism as a fanbase. It feels like the Sharks have to do it better than most other teams to be taken as seriously.
This is a good point. Not just in the NHL world, but also in terms of the Bay Area Major Pro Sports Scene. Last seasons woes, last seasons short playoff run, and this season's futility after starting out so well doesn't help matters when it comes to local relevance/TV ratings. Especially when the Warriors are doing well (in a playoff spot at the moment).

For the Sharks to get legitimate relevance in the Bay Area as a whole, they need to do well and make a deep run, like to SCF and likely winning it all.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:10 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 797
I think the thing that frustrates me is I don't see a direction for this team. Every year it's the same thing, good in the regular season crap in the playoffs. We get laughed at because of that fact and it's annoying. Granted, I don't need to listen to the fans, but it's a symptom of a much larger problem with this team, where do they want to go? What should the future be like? Can we listen to the same speech from Wilson again, year after year without anything to back him up?

For me, I would love to see the owners (Who are they again) step up and say something like what the Houston Astros owner said, yeah we have a long way to go but at least we have direction. Do the Sharks really want to keep the same old players year in and year out? I want to see a plan, and I don't want to see that plan involve the current system. Yeah build around players like Pavelski, Burns, and Couture, but everyone else should be afraid of losing thier jobs or being traded. Right now the team is just way too comfortable and I think that's showing by the lack of effort on the ice.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:43 PM
murdock1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharklife25 View Post
So as a Sharks fan, I feel like I complain A LOT...

And I've noticed, I'm not alone....

Why do we whine so much about everything? Is it a west coast thing? Is it because we're slumping? Hell, even when we were winning people were whining....

What is our problem?
Why?

Because I still have nightmares of missed Teemu Selanne wrap-arounds, Ridiculous Kiprusoff saves, Fernando Fracking Pisani, Brendan Morrow Overtime Goals and President Trophy chokes.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:47 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
Why?

Because I still have nightmares of missed Teemu Selanne wrap-arounds, Ridiculous Kiprusoff saves, Fernando Fracking Pisani, Brendan Morrow Overtime Goals and President Trophy chokes.
Add Chris Pronger Physics and Raffi ****ing Torres.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
Why?

You forgot Robert Lang game tying goal. And Im pretty sure Horcoff killed us more than Pisani.

Evincar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
I think another factor that maybe we don't take into account is that the Sharks need playoff revenue. A rebuild would most likely result in some pretty poor seasons..its hard to root for a losing team and I don't know how patient our fanbase would be with a true blow it up style rebuild. This place is melting down after a losing streak.
I'm pretty sure if the Sharks went on a rebuild they wouldn't spend nearly as much as they do on players just to break even leading to posters here crying going "BUT WE HAVE 20MIL IN CAPSPACE WHY WONT DW SIGN/TRADE/ACQUIRE/RESIGN PLAYERS?! D: D: D:"

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:52 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
I'm pretty sure if the Sharks went on a rebuild they wouldn't spend nearly as much as they do on players just to break even leading to posters here crying going "BUT WE HAVE 20MIL IN CAPSPACE WHY WONT DW SIGN/TRADE/ACQUIRE/RESIGN PLAYERS?! D: D: D:"
And then if he spends and gets what CBJ just got what would they be saying? CBJ spent big last year. Philly and TO always spend big. Look at Philly this year and TO for I don't know how long. Meanwhile, Nashville keeps plugging along near the floor and is starting their own streak of making the playoffs. Spending does not equal winning. How is Minny doing after their big spree?

You can also add the Nolan/Damp/Selanne team which produced the worst result for the Sharks in recent memory. As spending went, they were way beyond the team's spending of that era.

Last edited by SJeasy: 02-18-2013 at 01:58 AM.
SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:36 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
You can also add the Nolan/Damp/Selanne team which produced the worst result for the Sharks in recent memory. As spending went, they were way beyond the team's spending of that era.
Thats because Selanne is allergic to the color Teal.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Trojan35

Because Sharks fans are used to less talented, overachievers like the teams of Irbe and Nabby's first year.

Now the Sharks are more talented, but do not overachieve. I would argue against the idea they underachieve or choke (choke vs Anaheim yes, that's the exception). But for some reason fans think you can apply the same principals that allow a lesser team to achieve to a talented team and get the same results. That's simply not how it works.

You can have a scrappy, balanced, overachieving team like the Sharks of old or today's Nashville. But if you apply that same philosophy to a talented team it has disastrous results. Take a look at Washington and what changing Boudreau's system did to that franchise. It would have similar results if Babcock tried to implement that in Detroit, or Bylsma in Pitt, etc.

The Sharks now have above average top line talent, average 2nd line talent, and terrible 3rd/4th line talent. They have average top line d-talent, and very good/above average 2nd line/3rd line talent. They have average goaltending and average coaching.

When I look at it that way, it's an average team that probably makes it on experience and gets bounced in the 1st round by a decidedly more complete and consistent team. And that's assuming they fix what's so broken right now with the Sharks, because the play for the first 14 games of the season is well below average even if they escaped with a few more points than they deserved.

So what's to whine about?

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilpertti View Post
As someone who's been a fan of the team for pretty close to 20 years, seen the team play once in Globen Stockholm, getting up many nights a week at random hours during the night to watch them on GCL... And beating what I'd estimate is 99% of the board in account age:

<rant>I wish the whine at least came with good analysis and analogues, but no. There used to be less whine and more proper analysis on this board, and it used to be the best in HF. Now it's just "ugh Patty didn't score, DW is dumb for not trading him". And I must have watched a different team over the decades considering some of the memories I have are completely different from what are passed as fact here. Mostly to back up someone's argument that otherwise would sound questionable.

DW is a great GM, you're never going to replace Marleau in a trade, rookies aren't always better than Clowe, speed isn't everything, Murray is an NHL caliber defenseman and McLellan is a good coach.</rant>

Eh, there was plenty of overreacting and "blow it up" talk with little substance in years past. You've also got to remember that with each playoff failure comes a little more frustration, and now that the team's window appears to be closing, things have just about reached their boiling point.

And I don't think it's unreasonable to support things like a demotion/trade of Clowe or a trade of Murray. It doesn't mean they're bums who should be in the ECHL, it just means that we have younger, cheaper, better options for those roster spots. Trading one or both while they have some value would be beneficial to this team both short and long-term IMO.

Tkachuk4MVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Dwight Schrude

Everybody loves to win, nobody likes to lose. Simple as that.

Dwight Schrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharklife25 View Post
So as a Sharks fan, I feel like I complain A LOT...

And I've noticed, I'm not alone....

Why do we whine so much about everything? Is it a west coast thing? Is it because we're slumping? Hell, even when we were winning people were whining....

What is our problem?
Because we wine too much?

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:11 AM
Rasta

Because I feel like Doug is wasting time. Every day that passes without Todd getting fired is a wasted day that the team could have used adjusting to a new system.

OH, and because of that god damn stanchion in Vancouver.

Rasta is offline   Reply With Quote