HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What are some good lightweight hockey pants?

Old
11-17-2011, 05:31 PM
r3cc0s

vCash: 500
I tried a whole PILE of pants

My waist is about a 32-34 but I'm about 6' - which means mediums leave my pants "just" short

I tried various
Bauers:One35, One55, X:20, X:40
CCM: Ufit 7, V06 and V08
Warrior: Bonafide, Syko, Bently
Easton: ST4, S9
Tackla: 951, 9000, 5000

Of the bunch, the Bauer's Vapours were the slimest fitting... BUT even a Large was too slim for my rather large legs... It would take a while to break in the gussets to get them to be comfortable..
The supremes, were just like pretty much everything else: Easton, CCM, Warrior
They were all just a little baggy in a large, but the right lenght...

the long and short of it? I went for the lightest with a decent shell and "relative" protection.
Warrior Syko
It's basic, as there are no zippered Gussets, but hey they weight nothing but have all the tailbone, and leg protection necessary with a 420d nylon outer.
the X:20 would easily have been the lightest, but they have like NO protection and neither did the ST1/ST4 Eastons

So anyways, plenty of lightweight pants out there and I guess its all preference and your build

The tackla's however aren't light... I don't know why people think the tackla air 951, 9000, 5000's are light, they aren't.
They are however very comfortable, and did have a size that would fit me in both length/height, BUT... they were conciderablly more padded and heavy than I wanted.

The one55 and one35's are impressive entry level pants I must admit... and have more features than my Syko, but meh... these were on sale for $39 bucks so I couldn't pass that up!

hopefully they're as comfortable on the ice as they seem at the shop

For "high-end" pants, man those TotalOne's are incredibly light for super protective pants.

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:58 PM
JayRosehillforMVP
snubbed again

Gonna bump this thread....
What's the absolute lightest pair on the market? I play midget, and I don't care about protection (and I don't care if you think I'm crazy).

JayRosehillforMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:28 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers7 View Post
What's the absolute lightest pair on the market? I play midget, and I don't care about protection (and I don't care if you think I'm crazy).
Not crazy at all haha, though you seem to have a very defensive attitude. See if you like the fit of the U+12s or U+CS. If not, then like PinkEye said, look at cheaper entry level models.

Why do you care that much about weight anyways? Think about it this way, the pants pretty much sit on and around your centre of gravity. You tend to notice heavier things as they get further away from your centre of gravity, so you will not notice a whole lot of difference between a slightly heavier pant to a slightly lighter one, especially once you get moving.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:03 PM
LarryO

I have the CCM U+12 pants and I think they give you the best of both worlds. Not only are they one of the lightest pants on the market (even lighter than the Crazy Lights) but they still offer very decent protection, much better than an entry level pants.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:17 AM
r3cc0s

so after a while I've decided I'm not a warrior guy... I find their entire line is built for wide short people even in large, they are too short but the waist is built for like a 36-38 kinda person

I'm back using my old green tackla's overtimes

a big thing "I" find between pants is the swing weight of the pants as well as the fit....

I've since bought a pair of Easton's and those too didn't work for me so well, and threw out my back every time I went for a skate (weird right?)

but yah its all preference, and for Shinny, as long as there is decent tailbone, and front padding (for blocking shots) you should be fine

if I were still playing contact? I'd want tall waist protector and a padded belt for crosschecks... i'd got for totalOne's for sure or the new CCM UL pro

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:37 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I bought the Crazy Lights mostly for the weight and the fact they are water resistant so by the end of the game I'm a little lighter (and lighter in the wallet as the CL line is not cheap). I hate buying hockey pants, they take too long to break in and I had been using old CCM's with a shell to cover up a big hole I had in the back of my pants. I've had no issues with the Crazy Lights, everything as advertised, very light, stay light during the game and I stuck them in my washing machine when I bought them to speed up break in time (I have a washing machine with no tumbler in the middle so it can't get all torn up). Is there a website that lists weights of pants/equipment? I know they do this for sticks, seems like it's time to list weights for equipment as well so you know if you're buying tanks or race cars.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:32 AM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I bought the Crazy Lights mostly for the weight and the fact they are water resistant so by the end of the game I'm a little lighter (and lighter in the wallet as the CL line is not cheap). I hate buying hockey pants, they take too long to break in and I had been using old CCM's with a shell to cover up a big hole I had in the back of my pants. I've had no issues with the Crazy Lights, everything as advertised, very light, stay light during the game and I stuck them in my washing machine when I bought them to speed up break in time (I have a washing machine with no tumbler in the middle so it can't get all torn up). Is there a website that lists weights of pants/equipment? I know they do this for sticks, seems like it's time to list weights for equipment as well so you know if you're buying tanks or race cars.
i know total hockey lists weight for a lot of equipment.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:52 PM
fryer98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers7 View Post
If you don't care about protection, I suggest a Mission (or other) roller hockey girdle and use a shell. Roller girdles use smaller padding and less protection than ice hockey equipment since roller is usually non-check.

That's what I do for adult league and they provide plenty enough protection for me, even if I was playing full contact.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:20 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
I have the CCM U+12 pants and I think they give you the best of both worlds. Not only are they one of the lightest pants on the market (even lighter than the Crazy Lights) but they still offer very decent protection, much better than an entry level pants.
I have these pants as well and could not agree more. I could not believe how light they were when I first picked them up. My old pants felt like tanks compared to these. Plus the protection is solid.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:22 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
i know total hockey lists weight for a lot of equipment.
Thanks. According to their website the CL pants are 2.86 pounds compared to 2.53 for the U+12's (I guess they weighed junior medium pants only for both).

Old
02-18-2013, 02:38 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Thanks. According to their website the CL pants are 2.86 pounds compared to 2.53 for the U+12's (I guess they weighed junior medium pants only for both).
Don't you mean senior medium? They don't give the weights of the junior pants.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:45 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
Don't you mean senior medium? They don't give the weights of the junior pants.
Yah, that's right, just saw the junior on there, missed the senior part, thanks.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Wease

Since I'm older and don't play in any full contact leagues anymore, a few years ago I found a pair of used Easton Synergy 300's and literally cut most of the padding out of them. The only thing I left intact was the front thigh pads, to protect from shots. All of the rest of the hip and kidney pads, etc. are gone. It made them really, really light. I highly suggest doing that with a cheap pair of pants for anyone playing non-contact and looking to go really light...

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote