HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn Future?

Old
07-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Heske_44

vCash: 500
Andrei Kostitsyn Future?

Hey guys,

I have to admit I have really taken a liking to this player from everything I have read and the couple conversations I had with a Montreal Scout who speaks very highly of AK. He says he has the skills of an elite player but needs to work on his work ethic to have any amount of success at any level. He also stated that they are just as excited about Sergei and that he could in fact end up with a better NHL career. Obviously Perezhogin is AK's main prospect to compete with. The scout said the players are the exact opposite. AK has skill but very average work ethic, while Perezhogin has average skill but unbelievable work ethic.

Any thoughts on the impact AK will make next season, or in his career?? Looking for suggested statistics, lines etc. I know this has been discussed before so I am sorry if I am repeating.

Heske_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:32 PM
zednik20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heske_44 View Post
Hey guys,

I have to admit I have really taken a liking to this player from everything I have read and the couple conversations I had with a Montreal Scout who speaks very highly of AK. He says he has the skills of an elite player but needs to work on his work ethic to have any amount of success at any level. He also stated that they are just as excited about Sergei and that he could in fact end up with a better NHL career. Obviously Perezhogin is AK's main prospect to compete with. The scout said the players are the exact opposite. AK has skill but very average work ethic, while Perezhogin has average skill but unbelievable work ethic.

Any thoughts on the impact AK will make next season, or in his career?? Looking for suggested statistics, lines etc. I know this has been discussed before so I am sorry if I am repeating.
AK will be better in the NHL then in the AHL...

zednik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:36 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Hey guys,

My opinion is that he will get a serious look this year.

Between 35 and 65 pts(20 goals-30 goals) depending if he get use a lot, number of trips to hamilton and the line hes used. With Carbonneau we can expect the work ethic of all players to improve and also less yo-yo for prospects between lines. He will get the teaching of Kovalev this year witch will help tremendously like it helped A LOT Perezhogin all last year.

Personnaly I think he should be the 2nd line LW all year(with Rib and Kovalev), give him a serious try and accept some soft patches. Play him at the point on the power play. He got an hell of a shot and hes used to that spot.. Theres no reason to move Perezhogin from Plecky wings, they seem to have good chemistry and montreal is under the 2a-2b-2c-4 setup of lines.

Even if have only a decent season its important to play him this year all year imo, because he will be big part of any cup contender team in Montreal.

Hes the only one in the organization with a 50 goals upside potential imo.(in 5-6 years.)

Last edited by SOLR: 07-11-2006 at 02:44 PM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Heske_44

All sounds very good here guys. I hope he is able to adjust to the NHL this year. I think he is the type of guy that needs to be surrounded by a better supporting cast as his skill level is superior to that in the AHL.

What lines could we expect to see him on? PP time? I think I have read somewhere about throwing him on the point...

Old
07-11-2006, 03:38 PM
#44_delivers

i saw him play a few times only once live at rexall down here in edmonton, and he impressed me something fierce, super agility, pretty fast, and to me it looked like he really wanted to stay in the roster, he wasnt played enough though to really get to see him in scoring oppertunity situations, but he hustled and was the best hab on the ice

if he pans out we have a potential first line winger (75-100 points)

i see him at worst being a 2nd line winger (55-80 points)

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Jo

I've seen him played quite a lot. And he's really in the same mold as Alex Kovalev I think, but faster. This guy could become one of the best offensive player of the entire league.

Wrist Shot: 9/10
Slapper: 8.5/10
Accuracy: 9/10
Speed without puck: 9/10
Speed with puck: 9/10 His biggest strength in my mind
Vision: 8.5/10
Passing: 7.0/10

Here's my rating for him

Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBell View Post
I've seen him played quite a lot. And he's really in the same mold as Alex Kovalev I think, but faster. This guy could become one of the best offensive player of the entire league.

Here's my rating for him

Did you see the pass that he do when he has play in NHL ??? THAT SO NICE !!!

Slapper: 9/10
Accuracy: 9.5/10
Speed without puck: 7.5/10
Speed with puck: 8/10
Vision: 9/10
Passing: 9/10

that mine

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 04:00 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

LOL

LMAO

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Artyukhin*

2 more years and he playing on the 3 rd line of the ny rangers

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 05:05 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
2 more years and he playing on the 3 rd line of the ny rangers
Just to hard to accept we may have a natural 40 goals scorer in Montreal after such a long time?

Old
07-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Just to hard to accept we may have a natural 40 goals scorer in Montreal after such a long time?

i was joking

i hope he scores 50 a year to be truthful and we have to pay him 7.5 million a season . id love nothing more than to see another high flying super star game breaker in a ch jersey .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 05:18 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
i was joking

i hope he scores 50 a year to be truthful and we have to pay him 7.5 million a season . id love nothing more than to see another high flying super star game breaker in a ch jersey .
Same, I like seeing players breakout...in habs uniform only.

Old
07-11-2006, 05:27 PM
phil

is there any comparaisons to do between AK and any other active player in the NHL, for the talent, style and all those important things?

phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Belso

I didn't see him play enough to say if he really is a super star in the making or not, but at this point as a Habs fan, I just don't want to get my hopes up. I'll be happy about him when he does get those 30-40 goals. Hell, at this point I'll be happy with 25.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Heske_44

Great feedback boys.

I am glad to hear so much positive and realisitc expectations for AK.

I think with the fair chance and some hard work from him he will be a solid stud for years to come.

I think Perezhogin to some extent is overrated and hope AK wins the battle between the rooks!!

Old
07-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Azalichio

Send a message via MSN to Azalichio
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
is there any comparaisons to do between AK and any other active player in the NHL, for the talent, style and all those important things?
He reminds me alot of Kovalev actually, both are strong physically, can skate, have a hard shot ( Kost might actually have a stronger slap shot then Kovy ) and both have great vision. Just like Kovy though, Kost can look completely invisible in a game and completely dominate everyone in the next.

I do believe part of his motivation problem however comes from not already playing in the NHL. He wanted it badly last year.

Azalichio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
When he is really on his game he can look like Kovalev out there. Similar ability to keep the puck away from the opposition, no matter how close he is to them, great wrist shot (people think Higgins wrist shot is something, I'd say AKs is better), very hard slapshot although accuracy tends to waiver. Sometimes he is right on target for a few games in a row, then the next few, he keeps hitting the glass. He also has Kovalevs ability to hit people quite hard. He doesn't go overboard with this, but if someone goes out of their way to bother him, he can unload on them. I saw a good few guys land on their backsides after annoying Kostitsyn last year.

However, I wouldn't say he has Kovalevs repetoire of moves or quite the same confidence in his own abilities as AK27. Sometimes you see Andrei try and force something to happen when he has a better alternative option. A good (and brief) example of this would be his penalty shots. Last season I saw him try and deke goalies who were having good games and it didn't work on most occassions (although he is capable of some good dekes, he just needs to sell them a little better - keepers tend to be able to stay with him for the most part when he dekes). But he also has that great shot which seemed to work better for him. The sensible part of me always expects him to use his wrist shot, but part of me knows he wants to deke it.

Another thing he does, differently to Kovalev, he seems to be willing to hang around the crease a little more looking for a one-timer (like his first NHL goal). Kovalev likes to find his space and either be on the wing or at the top of the faceoff circles, i think Kost tends to push forward a little bit more, not afraid to get close to the goalie and hammer it. He has similar-ish body strength to Kovalev (for a 21 year old) but either isn't always willing to or can't quite use it as effectively. He can do a good job shielding the puck most of the time though, just has to get that consistancy.

He isn't always on his game though. I'm trying to think of a suitable comparison and not doing a very good job. In the past, I've thought a comparison to Zednik was useful due to his streakiness. He can be absolutely on his game, or he can almost be forgotten when out on the ice. If going with the Zed comparison though, I'd say (at AHL level at least) he can still demonstrate a piece of good skill when having a poor game. Say he isn't up to much in a game, with Zed, you pretty much know what to expect from him the rest of that game, but with Kost, he might get put on the point on the PP and keep the other team guessing until he makes a pass through three of them right to the slot on a teammates stick. Then he might go back to being a bit invisible. But last season I can't remember him disappearing for any extended length of time apart from the start of the season, when he struggled and just after they had been eliminated from contention for the playoffs, the whole team seemed to lose focus and slumped a bit. Otherwise, he didn't tend to go too many games before starting to get things pointing in the right direction again. Hopefully though, someone can give a better comparison. But if he does make the NHL next year, I really hope he gets to play with Kovalev because:
A - they do share some similar talents/tendencies, great chance for AK46 to learn how to play a similar kind of game to his own at the NHL level from a skilled, experienced player.
B - Kovalev mentioned last year that he didn't want Perezhogin going through what he had to deal with when joining the NHL. He made sure Pez understood there was someone there for him, on and off the ice, hopefully Kostitsyn will receive similar attention.
C - playing with a guy like Kovalev would surely be a huge buzz. People question Andreis focus/determination. I think having Kovalev on his opposite wing, watching his actions would focus him rather well

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
I think Perezhogin to some extent is overrated and hope AK wins the battle between the rooks!!
Just curious but why do you think so? I'm a huge AK fan and if it came down to keeping AK or Pez, i'd pick AK every time. But I'm a big fan of Pez too and think he is capable of some special things in the NHL. I'm not sure he'll be as good a goalscorer in the NHL as Andrei, but he will contribute his fair share to offense and provide a good all round game soon enough. Plus, he's very quick, which in the 'new' NHL, is a true asset. I hope they both have a long future with the CH ahead of them. Sure, we could choose one or other, but I'd rather have both

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 06:29 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Marian Hossa

(Look at the progress of the young Marian and ull see a lot Kostitsyn, and they have about the same upside imo.) Both protect the puck like magicians, tends to keep it a little too long(lol), but are fast, upper body really strong and have good shots. I expect Kost to be better on the PP point. One of our principal PP assets actually, since he doesnt need to slapshots to score goals from there, a good wristshot is well enough.

Last edited by SOLR: 07-11-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old
07-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Pascal

The first thing I read about Kots was that he was the steal of the draft and that he was very much like Marian Hossa when he was young. World-class skills. I really can't wait to see him mature more, I'm ready to buy my no46 jersey and with his brother we'll have an awesome tandem for the next 10 yrs.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Montrealer

At this point, I'd say his upside is ridiculous and his downside is that he doesn't ever stick with the big team.

I'm hoping for the former, and I fear the latter.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBell View Post

Here's my rating for him
I'd agree with most of the post except the part about being faster then Kovalev. On the roster, only Perezhogin was faster then Kovalev. The guy may look like he's not skating hard but he suffers from Sundin syndrome, he's flying out there believe me. I was watching some replays of his goals and the guy flats out outskates everyone on the ice and beats the defender on pure speed every time. Watch him closely, you'll see what I mean. I remember the first time I took a notice of him, he was playing the point with Pittsburgh and he just flat out burned everyone on the Montreal Pk before setting up a scoring chance.

I dont think its fair to compare Kostitsyn to Kovalev. Although Kostitsyn could end up with a "better" career or a more consistent and productive one, he'll never have the sheer respect and admiration that people have towards Kovalev's skill. Kovalev and Fedorov IMO are in a class of their own in this league, the most skilled players you can find, the last Russian greats.

BTW, I'm extremely biased when it comes to Russian players(LOL).

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

I think if he reaches his potential, he will be a 35 goal, 80 point player.

I think those of you who state he'll be a 50 goal, 100 point player are overrating him. But that's just my opinion.

Anyways, he is a special player with great skill.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 08:22 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan15 View Post
I think if he reaches his potential, he will be a 35 goal, 80 point player.

I think those of you who state he'll be a 50 goal, 100 point player are overrating him. But that's just my opinion.

Anyways, he is a special player with great skill.
I agree 35/80 should be his normal production, but he could well have 2-3 peak years of 50 goals imo.

Old
07-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
I agree 35/80 should be his normal production, but he could well have 2-3 peak years of 50 goals imo.
I guess it also depends on his linemates.

It just scares me, many "skilled players" like him become busts and we don't want that to happen

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote