HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Bring in Filatov?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-17-2013, 08:29 AM
  #76
Iamok
#Panic
 
Iamok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFactor View Post
I don't get how added Filatov will erase our scoring woes...

hes soft, doesn't hit, doesnt got to the net..plus like Silverberg and Zibenajad, his game doesn't translate well in the NHL....
IMO Silverberg, Zibenajad, etcc...still belong in the AHL...

DD, Gryba, Grant looked stronger than these 2 last night
What the ****. This is wrong. God damnit you guys.

I'm just going to assume you're unsure of how to use that expression.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:15 AM
  #77
Nizzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Wouldnt be surprised if Filatov comes back .Murray doesnt think gamble is over...Doesnt he sound like the player we need right now


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxDcCx7IAmQ

Nizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:20 AM
  #78
Karlssonlee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLOVEkubasTUBA View Post
Talent means nothing without a good work ethic.
No for me.
This is completely false and a big misconception. He has good work ethic. Checkout all his scoutig reports they all say the same thing. It's his attitude partially, he's been mistreated and given his circumstances it made more sense for him to go home so he could make more money. Its really annoying when people discredit Russians because they bolt back home. Many NHLers request trades because of salary demands. It's really no different.

Give the kid a chance, We have Condra on our top line for God sakes. We need puck possession players to sustain offensive pressure. Filatov could do that an would actually get pwoerplay opportunities

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:25 AM
  #79
Nizzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Prince Turris Milo
Filatov Da Costa Alfie
Zibanejad Regin Silfverberg

I bet we can get a couple goals with that line up

Nizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:39 AM
  #80
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzy View Post
Wouldnt be surprised if Filatov comes back .Murray doesnt think gamble is over...Doesnt he sound like the player we need right now


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxDcCx7IAmQ
First two players in that vid are Spez and Milo.


... WAY TO RUB IT IN.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:44 AM
  #81
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 13,284
vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzy View Post
Wouldnt be surprised if Filatov comes back .Murray doesnt think gamble is over...Doesnt he sound like the player we need right now

I love how Spezza and BM said the opposite of what most of the people feel around here. They do not think he is lazy or a problem with work ethic.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:53 AM
  #82
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I love how Spezza and BM said the opposite of what most of the people feel around here. They do not think he is lazy or a problem with work ethic.
Personally, I don't think he's lazy or has poor work ethic.

I just think he's not very good. One dimensional, and not good enough in that one dimension to offset the fact that he doesn't bring much else to the game.

Don't get me wrong: if he were to come back, I'd cheer for the kid, and welcome him back. Id hope for the best... I just wouldn't be holding my breath.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:11 PM
  #83
Nizzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Personally, I don't think he's lazy or has poor work ethic.

I just think he's not very good. One dimensional, and not good enough in that one dimension to offset the fact that he doesn't bring much else to the game.

Don't get me wrong: if he were to come back, I'd cheer for the kid, and welcome him back. Id hope for the best... I just wouldn't be holding my breath.
One dimensional..hahah Have you watched him play ? Not good enough what ? He is young needs time to develop and get more mature ..

I can pick 5-6 guys on are team now Id take out of the line up for him in heart beat

Nizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:23 PM
  #84
N Bahn Ahden
Registered User
 
N Bahn Ahden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzy View Post
One dimensional..hahah Have you watched him play ? Not good enough what ? He is young needs time to develop and get more mature ..

I can pick 5-6 guys on are team now Id take out of the line up for him in heart beat
He is one dimensional. Even supporters of him should probably concede that much. It will make your opinions more credible. What else does he bring if he's not generating offense?

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:25 PM
  #85
Nizzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Bahn Ahden View Post
He is one dimensional. Even supporters of him should probably concede that much. It will make your opinions more credible. What else does he bring if he's not generating offense?
Concede what he isnt a defensive liability if you think he is your not watching him and your making your opinion on his Jacket days ..He was 18 years old

What else do you want him too do ..Play goalie? ..Kill penalties ?

He gives us what we are lacking scoring threat that isnt a defensive liability ...

He is looking good in KHL right now and is asset that we should explore

Nizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:02 PM
  #86
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzy View Post
Concede what he isnt a defensive liability if you think he is your not watching him and your making your opinion on his Jacket days ..He was 18 years old

What else do you want him too do ..Play goalie? ..Kill penalties ?

He gives us what we are lacking scoring threat that isnt a defensive liability ...

He is looking good in KHL right now and is asset that we should explore
1) he's looking OK in the KHL. He's an average player right now over there. Maybe slightly above average. He's never averaged even 0.50 PPG since going back over there for us, not once, and for an offensive guy, that's a bad sign. His offensive totals are going down as he ages. And he's almost 23 years old now. I don't know too many average players who would come over here and light it up. Is he the exception? Who knows. I'd love it if he were, but I really don't think it's going to happen.

2) Is he a defensive liability? Meh. He's not bad. I'd say he's not going to hurt you out there defensively, but he's certainly not someone you'd out out against another team's best players. He's not ever going to get PK minutes in the NHL... and he has no effective physical game. So if he's not in the league for his defense, and not here to be tough, then he'd better REALLY be bringing the skill. And I just don't think there's enough of it there (or more specifically, I don't think it's used effectively).

The fact is, he DOESN'T give us a scoring threat. He had 10 goals in 47 games in the KHL... you think it somehow gets easier to score in the NHL? Like, sure: maybe he's more of a threat than some guys we have right now... guys like Dziurzynski, Grant, Daugavins, O'Brien, Greening... but most of those guys are either emergency callups or 4th liners anyways.

On a healthy Sens team, he doesn't even sniff the opening-day roster.


Last edited by BonkTastic: 02-17-2013 at 06:08 PM.
BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:34 PM
  #87
Holdurbreathe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I love how Spezza and BM said the opposite of what most of the people feel around here. They do not think he is lazy or a problem with work ethic.
True, but what do Murray and Spezza know.

Alfie also likes Silf and Zib, so he obviously doesn't know any more than Murray or Spezza.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:35 PM
  #88
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 13,284
vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
1) he's looking OK in the KHL. He's an average player right now over there. Maybe slightly above average. He's never averaged even 0.50 PPG since going back over there for us, not once, and for an offensive guy, that's a bad sign. His offensive totals are going down as he ages. And he's almost 23 years old now. I don't know too many average players who would come over here and light it up. Is he the exception? Who knows. I'd love it if he were, but I really don't think it's going to happen.

2) Is he a defensive liability? Meh. He's not bad. I'd say he's not going to hurt you out there defensively, but he's certainly not someone you'd out out against another team's best players. He's not ever going to get PK minutes in the NHL... and he has no effective physical game. So if he's not in the league for his defense, and not here to be tough, then he'd better REALLY be bringing the skill. And I just don't think there's enough of it there (or more specifically, I don't think it's used effectively).

The fact is, he DOESN'T give us a scoring threat. He had 10 goals in 47 games in the KHL... you think it somehow gets easier to score in the NHL? Like, sure: maybe he's more of a threat than some guys we have right now... guys like Dziurzynski, Grant, Daugavins, O'Brien, Greening... but most of those guys are either emergency callups or 4th liners anyways.

On a healthy Sens team, he doesn't even sniff the opening-day roster.
This is the reason I want to bring him over.

He has a KHL contract and is has another season left on it.
I do not see the harm in trying to bring him over. We traded an asset for him, might as well try to get some use out of him.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:50 PM
  #89
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator
 
SensAreReligion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
I feel like he still has stuff to prove to us, remember when he played with us he play 6 games on a line with konopka and Winchester on the 4th line. Kid never got a fair shot. He was doing everything right on the ice he just seemed snakebitten. So much of his problems are mental

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:56 PM
  #90
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
This is the reason I want to bring him over.

He has a KHL contract and is has another season left on it.
I do not see the harm in trying to bring him over. We traded an asset for him, might as well try to get some use out of him.
I couldn't agree more: at this point, with the way our season has gone, we need to start throwing stuff at the wall and seeing if it sticks. Like I said before, I have no vendetta against Filatov, and I think he's been unfairly dumped on for character issues.

All that being said, I just don't think he's going to do much over here. If he does come over, I'll be cheering for the guy. I hope he'd come on and really perform... He's a Senator, after all. I'm just not expecting a whole lot out of a guy who I think is a tweener.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:12 PM
  #91
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,518
vCash: 500
I don't get the hate for filatov.

i hear a lot of "one dimensional". That's not true at all. Now he may not win many puck battles along the boards, that's for sure, but when he was here, he always seemed to be the first man back. He busted his ass on the backcheck. No he's not very productive defensively, but the effort is there. If we could teach him to be more effective with his positioning and stickwork defensively, it could work.He's obviously never going to be a hitting,shot blocking, defensive player, but he has good enough stick skills to be coached into a being pickpocketer.

I also don't get the hate on him because he won't "pay his dues" in the AHL. He has played 90 AHL games over 3 years. That's alot more then most top 10 russian picks would be willing to do.

I just don't think filatov is good enough to make a difference. However, i would love to have him here for the rest of the year. He has good wheels, decent puck possesion skills, and a good shot...all of those are things we need right now.

I just don't get the people who act like filatov slept with their GF and their GF can't stop talking about it.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:21 PM
  #92
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Country: Italy
Posts: 13,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensAreReligion View Post
Also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYvGFt35efA

skip to 1:43 on the video to see Filatovs wrapparound that he almost scored on
Check at 3:05

I miss Cowen

and lol at Lee-Rundblad pairing

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:19 PM
  #93
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerica View Post
Difference between Zibanejad and Filatov is that it seems like Mika is willing to pay his dues and work in the AHL.
The guy who played 90 games in the AHL over 3 years isn't willing to pay his dues in the AHL, but the guy who's played 24 games over 1 year in the AHL is willing to pay his dues in the AHL?

You can't say that when the guy you're criticizing has paid way more dues then the guy who is "willing to pay his dues"

And the guy who "isn't willing to pay his dues" has been more successful in the AHL.

I don't even like filatov...but stop pointlessly hating...


Last edited by jbeck5: 02-17-2013 at 09:24 PM.
jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:39 PM
  #94
Euclid
Futbol Fan
 
Euclid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 1,852
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind seeing Filatov back in Ottawa simply because it would be an opportunity to definitively determine whether or no he has the skills to survive in the NHL.


The first time he set foot on the ice as a Senator, I wasn't looking for defensive awareness, tight checking, board-work, or anything resembling two-way play. I was interested solely in his offensive ability, and I came away thoroughly unimpressed. The dazzling promise and elite skills he showed in the WJC had seemingly dried up in Columbus. Surprisingly, his defense was probably the most solid aspect of his game along with his skating.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and attribute his offensive deficiencies to limited playing time in a grinder-role, but he certainly hasn't lit up the KHL either. If he wants to come over to give it a shot then for sure, I'd be willing to see what he can do.


But the next time Filatov crosses the Atlantic will likely be the last time if he doesn't stick.

Euclid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:50 PM
  #95
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 50
Wow, Cowen absolutely destroyed some guy for the first goal and then crushed some guy later on.

Man people don't know the impact Cowen will have on this team in the future, sucks so much that he was injured. He would have been carrying our defense right now, that's right you heard me.

I wouldn't mind Filatov right about now.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:53 PM
  #96
Ohhh Franco
Registered User
 
Ohhh Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,212
vCash: 500
If Murray got in touch with him and his agent and Filatov was willing to come over ASAP and was given a shot on a line with Turris or Da Costa, why the hell wouldn't we all be supportive? What's there to loose? The kid is still real young. This could be the perfect opportunity/situation. No expectations! Some people are acting like he's played dozens and dozens of games for Ottawa....he played nine last year, that's it! Unnecessary hate for sure.

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:12 PM
  #97
Sensation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,348
vCash: 500
Anyone calling Filatov a floater, clearly is doing under the "Russian stereotype." Others have said it but he was absolutely not a floater in his time in Ottawa.

Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:25 PM
  #98
Icelevel
little bit better
 
Icelevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,950
vCash: 500
I liked him in his games in ottawa. I think most of his on ice problems were in bingo where he scored 4 goals in one game? Then not much for a while, was benched for periods etc.

I don't know how much of an issue his attitude and work habits were, but if those weren't issues i'd like to see him back for a bit. Like awj said, it would be nice to get a last look. Some might laugh but i think i remember him playing similar to zibanejad in ottawa. Smaller and a little less physical of course, but good overall. Expectations may have been too high.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:54 AM
  #99
Samsquanch
Creep
 
Samsquanch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Big Nickel
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Wow, Cowen absolutely destroyed some guy for the first goal and then crushed some guy later on.

Man people don't know the impact Cowen will have on this team in the future, sucks so much that he was injured. He would have been carrying our defense right now, that's right you heard me.

I wouldn't mind Filatov right about now.
You say that like its a unbelievable. Its super unlikely that he woudlnt be our best defenceman if he was playing right now, and I dont think you'd get many arguments with that.

Im so impartial to Filly, and this whole god forsaken season for that matter, so at this point if the kid actually wants another stab at it then what the hell, give it a whirl. Whats the worst that can happen?

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:00 AM
  #100
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsquanch View Post
You say that like its a unbelievable. Its super unlikely that he woudlnt be our best defenceman if he was playing right now, and I dont think you'd get many arguments with that.

Im so impartial to Filly, and this whole god forsaken season for that matter, so at this point if the kid actually wants another stab at it then what the hell, give it a whirl. Whats the worst that can happen?
He takes a post-KHL/Pre-Ottawa midseason vacation to Mozambique, contracts Malaria, and spreads it to the rest of the Senators team during the disease's incubation period, before it can be caught by doctors, resulting in 3 player deaths and a trail of destruction throughout the organization. The way our season has gone so far, I'm not ruling that out.

Realistically though, I agree.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.