HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part IV: In the Time Before Wingers Came into the World

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Jacob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Matt Cooke doesn't seem to be anywhere as physical as he used to. I understand he's cutting down on the dirty stuff, but his hitting seems to have taken a nose dive as well.
Stastically his hitting has only dropped off a tad. He had 160 hits last season, compared to 192 & 183 the previous two seasons. This season he's averaging about 2 hits per game, about the same as last year.

He's definitely not going for those high impact open ice hits that he used to. But if that's part of the trade off of him spending way less time in the penalty box, I think I'll take it.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:35 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
If Niskanen gets traded, we'll be looking for a forward and a defenseman right?

What bout

Niskanen for Setogouchi, and Brodin/Falk

And for Kennedy:

Kennedy+2nd rounder for Malone (this one's iffy, but we've seen weirder deals go down in this league)
If Niskanen goes, it will be for a forward, will only need a vet D back. If we get Seto, i hope Shero says only if we get Clutterbuck aswell.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:37 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

What bout

And for Kennedy:

Kennedy+2nd rounder for Malone (this one's iffy, but we've seen weirder deals go down in this league)

Umm, Brodin is better than any single prospect in the Pens organziation, period. In fact, he has arguably outplayed Suter so far this season, and would slot in behind Letang as the best Dman in our entire organization. There is ZERO chance the Wild move him.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:40 PM
mpp9

I think theres a good chance Gonchar is a Penguin if Niskanen is moved. The Sens will sell him at the deadline. Theyre screwed. Not worried about our depth if we deal a roster D-man. Shero will fill the hole at the deadline.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:41 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post

Umm, Brodin is better than any single prospect in the Pens organziation, period. In fact, he has arguably outplayed Suter so far this season, and would slot in behind Letang as the best Dman in our entire organization. There is ZERO chance the Wild move him.
Than how bout Falk? there's a reason i put both of them, they value one higher than the other, and since i've watched a total of 2 wild games, i'm spitballing here

Old
02-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Malkin needs a winger (Malone or Kulemin) to finish that line. Crosby need his winger, we have been waiting his entire career for it, and if Seto can regain his 30 goal form here, then he's found his long term winger finally. I'm sure Crosby could turn him to a 40 goal scorer, Malkin did for Neal and he's never had a 30 goal season in his career, just a 40. Clutterbuck would be coming with Seto just because i'd love that guy on this team going up against those gritty teams pounding them down. Cooke would stay just because he's a good PK guy, and he can be a bruiser and get 30 points a season. Don't see much room for Dupuis now, so he'd be dealt, probably to Minny.
I'd love to get Seto too. However his career average is 24 goals a season. him putting up low 30's with Crosby wouldn't be a stretch... however expecting him to hit 40 would be. That would be a career year type of season. Honestly if we could get him and he pots 25-30 on a yearly basis, I'd be more than happy with that.

02-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Riptide

Quote:

What bout

And for Kennedy:

No where close. We'd be adding a lot to that to get one of those guys - especially Brodin. I don't think we'd have a chance at getting Falk either. These types of players don't get moved unless the team believes they've regressed, or are not worth their contract (aka Niskanen).

Besides, we don't need another young D who requires icetime. We have a TON of those in the system over the next few years... we don't need more of them!

Old
02-17-2013, 06:43 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I think theres a good chance Gonchar is a Penguin if Niskanen is moved. The Sens will sell him at the deadline. Theyre screwed. Not worried about our depth if we deal a roster D-man. Shero will fill the hole at the deadline.
I'm sure they would still trade with us. It's about making your team better, not holding grudges, unless you're a bad business man.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:43 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
If Niskanen goes, it will be for a forward, will only need a vet D back. If we get Seto, i hope Shero says only if we get Clutterbuck aswell.
Is getting both even possible? I know Seto isn't been playing THAT great but if the Wild include Clutterbuck too, I'd take that without a doubt...

So the vet d...a draft pick to bring back Gill or Gonchar, considering there's no way Ottawa makes the playoffs w/o Karlsson and Spezza

Old
02-17-2013, 06:44 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
No where close. We'd be adding a lot to that to get one of those guys - especially Brodin.
How much would we add to get either? Throw out a ballpark trade

Old
02-17-2013, 06:44 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Off the top of my head, LA. Voynov and Martinez.
I don't think Martinez was a rookie. He had played 64 games before then & went into the playoffs with 115 games.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:45 PM
MtlPenFan

Seto could be on his way to being another Cheechoo. No thanks.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:45 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

I think we need a "let's be reality" check here on a few items:

- re Clutterbuck, I don't believe there is any indication MIN has a desire to move him. He is 2 years younger, a fair bit bigger, and way more physical than Kennedy. He is out-producng (if only marginally), and certainly outhitting TK this season, is a fan favourite, and his 19 goals a couple years ago suggest that he at least has similar offensive upside as TK. And he's signed on the cheap. So why on earth would MIN move him (the answer is they woulndn't, not for TK at least, and not as some throw-in. He's a valuable player to their club and part of the solution going forward). There's a deal to be made with MIN, but unless Clutterbuck is the centerpiece of it, don't expect him to be included.

- Douglas Murray: there is ZERO evidence that the Sharks are AT ALL interested in moving this player, and if anything they are looking to add on D. So if you want to talk about Despres or Orpik for Murray, there could be a conversation there. But if you're talking about TK or a bunch of scraps, just let it go. It's nowhere in the realm of reality.

Too bad we missed out on Brunner, though. Another goal today

Old
02-17-2013, 06:52 PM
66-29-33

Quote:

- re Clutterbuck, I don't believe there is any indication MIN has a desire to move him. He is 2 years younger, a fair bit bigger, and way more physical than Kennedy. He is out-producng (if only marginally), and certainly outhitting TK this season, is a fan favourite, and his 19 goals a couple years ago suggest that he at least has similar offensive upside as TK. And he's signed on the cheap. So why on earth would MIN move him (the answer is they woulndn't, not for TK at least, and not as some throw-in. He's a valuable player to their club and part of the solution going forward). There's a deal to be made with MIN, but unless Clutterbuck is the centerpiece of it, don't expect him to be included.

- Douglas Murray: there is ZERO evidence that the Sharks are AT ALL interested in moving this player, and if anything they are looking to add on D. So if you want to talk about Despres or Orpik for Murray, there could be a conversation there. But if you're talking about TK or a bunch of scraps, just let it go. It's nowhere in the realm of reality.

The deal would likely be Niskanen+Maatta for Seto+Clutterbuck+pick or something. It improves their D right now, and the future. They also lose salary for next season without using the "buyout" option. Anyone who thinks it will be TK who lands Clutterbuck is out of their minds.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
He's averaged 20+ in every season he's played in the NHL. Yes this year he's on pace for <10, but Minny has no secondary offense. When he was putting up 20+ in SJ he wasn't 'the guy' on his line. And his rookie center so far this year hasn't done a lot yet.

I don't think anyone can call him anything close to being a Cheechoo yet.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:01 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I think his game is a great fit for the Crosby line. He's as fast as Duper, physical and has that ability to shed checkers and unleash a wicked shot like Neal.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:01 PM
JTG

Quote:

From what I've gathered from Wild fans, they wouldn't mind seeing both Clutterbuck and Seto gone because they have young wingers that would be better suited for those spots.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:02 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Niskanen to Minny and Seto to Pitts both make a lot of sense, but I think one is far more valuable than the other.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:03 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
From what I've gathered from Wild fans, they wouldn't mind seeing both Clutterbuck and Seto gone because they have young wingers that would be better suited for those spots.
Really? i heard Clutter is staying because they need more players like him on the roster.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:04 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
He's averaged 20+ in every season he's played in the NHL. Yes this year he's on pace for <10, but Minny has no secondary offense. When he was putting up 20+ in SJ he wasn't 'the guy' on his line. And his rookie center so far this year hasn't done a lot yet.

I don't think anyone can call him anything close to being a Cheechoo yet.
their seasons are pretty comparable, other than the 50 goal season that cheechoo had, their goal and point totals are somewhat comparable, the poster has a valid argument...

Old
02-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Fire Shero*

Can we please stop with these Minnesota trade proposals? The Wild are ranked 29th in the league in goals scored. But yet they are going to trade 2 forwards for one of our defenseman? It was my understanding that they have some up and coming dmen on that team.

Trading a goal scorer, even a struggling one, makes as much sense for them as us trading a respectable winger. They seem to desperately need goal scorers. This trade just doesnt make any sense for the Wild...

These names were just thrown out, and then Shero went to the Wild game because the Pens played in Winnipeg the following night? I am just trying to understand why you all even talking about this.

Any sources?

Old
02-17-2013, 07:05 PM
JTG

Quote:
Really? i heard Clutter is staying because they need more players like him on the roster.
I don't know. I'm just stating what I was told.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:06 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

The Wild do have good young wingers. Zucker just scored tonight. I can see why Seto is expendable there.

Seto does seem like the kind of speedy winger that would do well with Sid. He is a LW which would allow Kunitz to drop down to the Malkin line if needed.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Pens1566

I'd kill for Brodin, even with our organizational depth. Having said that there is no way MIN would be dealing him for anything we'd be willing to give up.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:10 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Can we please stop with these Minnesota trade proposals? The Wild are ranked 29th in the league in goals scored. But yet they are going to trade 2 forwards for one of our defenseman? It was my understanding that they have some up and coming dmen on that team.

Trading a goal scorer, even a struggling one, makes as much sense for them as us trading a respectable winger. They seem to desperately need goal scorers. This trade just doesnt make any sense for the Wild...

These names were just thrown out, and then Shero went to the Wild game because the Pens played in Winnipeg the following night? Just trying to understand why are even talking about this.

Any sources?
Well, for one, Minnesota needs a right handed defenseman that can play the left side, and we have one of those. And I'll just make one blanket post for everyone who doesn't understand why we would want Setoguchi.

Setoguchi has been bounced in and out of their lineup, and has played all throughout 4 lines. He needs a change of scenery, and I'd undoubtedly take a flyer on him, as I think he could explode here with his skill set. The last time he had a top notch center feeding him pucks, he scored 30 goals and had 60 points. And no single point in time ever in his career has he produced at less than a 20 goal pace. Setoguchi has the wheels to keep up with Sid, and the right handed shot to play the left wall on the powerplay. People clamor for Sid's trigger man, and I think Setoguchi fits that bill perfectly.

Whether they would want to part with Clutterbuck, I really have no idea. I do know that they have a bunch of younger guys who are pushing for NHL time who will probably be able to bring more offensively than Clutterbuck can.

Closed Thread