HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part IV: In the Time Before Wingers Came into the World

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 08:12 PM
mpp9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Niskanen to Minny and Seto to Pitts both make a lot of sense, but I think one is far more valuable than the other.
Yep. Nisky is worth a little more than Seto IMO. Which is why if Im Shero I'm looking to pry Clutterbuck away as well. Add one of our D prospects to get it done.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:14 PM
leafspensfan

How much would Calgary want for Iginla?

Niskanen, a 1st and what else?

Old
02-17-2013, 08:15 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Yep. Nisky is worth a little more than Seto IMO. Which is why if Im Shero I'm looking to pry Clutterbuck away as well. Add one of our D prospects to get it done.
Seto+CBuck+pick for Nisky+Maatta. Helps Minny shed cap room for next season, gets them help right now, and the future, helps Pens get Crosby potentially "his winger" long term, his "James Neal", aswell as CBuck to help make this team tough as nails, even Seto has grit to his game. Pens and Wild are far better trade partners then Pens and Aves.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:17 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

That's a lot for a soon to be FA and old iginla IMO. Nisky is a top 4 D.

I know that's prob what it would take, but an in his prime hossa and dupuis was only two lesser roster players, a first and unproven prospect.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:17 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I guess I'm on board if we can't parlay Nisky into a bigger name

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
How much would Calgary want for Iginla?

Niskanen, a 1st and what else?
If we trade for Iginla, I don't think Niskanen is involved. I think they'll do pure futures to build a young, talented team.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Well, for one, Minnesota needs a right handed defenseman that can play the left side, and we have one of those. And I'll just make one blanket post for everyone who doesn't understand why we would want Setoguchi.

Setoguchi has been bounced in and out of their lineup, and has played all throughout 4 lines. He needs a change of scenery, and I'd undoubtedly take a flyer on him, as I think he could explode here with his skill set. The last time he had a top notch center feeding him pucks, he scored 30 goals and had 60 points. And no single point in time ever in his career has he produced at less than a 20 goal pace. Setoguchi has the wheels to keep up with Sid, and the right handed shot to play the left wall on the powerplay. People clamor for Sid's trigger man, and I think Setoguchi fits that bill perfectly.

Whether they would want to part with Clutterbuck, I really have no idea. I do know that they have a bunch of younger guys who are pushing for NHL time who will probably be able to bring more offensively than Clutterbuck can.
Yeah. Also, Michael Russo covers the Wild and is very credible and he's the guy that has said Seto is available and mentioned the Pens as a possible partner.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post

I know that's prob what it would take, but an in his prime hossa and dupuis was only two lesser roster players, a first and unknown prospect.
Just because Esposito didn't pan out doesn't mean he was an "unknown prospect".

The price for Hossa and Dupes was 2 young roster players with potential, a recent 1st rounder, and a 1st in the following draft.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:20 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I guess I'm on board if we can't parlay Nisky into a bigger name

If we trade for Iginla, I don't think Niskanen is involved. I think they'll do pure futures to build a young, talented team.
They'll want a young forward and a defeseman for sure, I would not want to give up Bennet, so who could they pick out of our forward pool which is not very deep with prospects. Pretty sure they'd take Maata or Pouliot, preferably Pouliot. And maybe a 1st, but Shero might make it a 2nd or a conditional depending on the forward we give up

Old
02-17-2013, 08:22 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:

I know that's prob what it would take, but an in his prime hossa and dupuis was only two lesser roster players, a first and unproven prospect.
But the Armstrong and Esposito had potential and they got a first out of it too...we don't have that to give up other than the 1st...

Old
02-17-2013, 08:23 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I edited, I meant unproven for Esposito.

Iginla is not worth what hossa and dupuis were. Both of them in their prime at the time, and hossa was the absolute best player available at the time.

We didn't have to part with a top 4 D to get them. Basically two decent 3rd liners and two firsts.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

^ True but Hossa also didn't mean as much to Atlanta as Iginla does to Calgary. It's going to take a lot to pry him away from that place.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:26 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
^ True but Hossa also didn't mean as much to Atlanta as Iginla does to Calgary. It's going to take a lot to pry him away from that place.
Exactly, he's their face of the franchise, and they aren't gonna let him go for scraps, which makes us a bit uncomfortable as to the price

Old
02-17-2013, 08:30 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
That's all fine and dandy, I'm just saying value wise he's not on the same level. His worth to Calgary could drive the price up without a doubt.

I'm just not sending off really valuable pieces for him. He's a two or three year stop gap at most.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
I edited, I meant unproven for Esposito.

Iginla is not worth what hossa and dupuis were. Both of them in their prime at the time, and hossa was the absolute best player available at the time.

We didn't have to part with a top 4 D to get them. Basically two decent 3rd liners and two firsts.
I like me some Niskanen, but he's been a top 4 d for all of 16 games.

The fact is that if Iginla is available at the deadline there will be a bidding war for his services, and if we land him we will almost certainly be giving up some assets we'd rather not part with.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
That's all fine and dandy, I'm just saying value wise he's not on the same level. His worth to Calgary could drive the price up without a doubt.

I'm just not sending off really valuable pieces for him. He's a two or three year stop gap at most.
Fair enough.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:34 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I like me some Niskanen, but he's been a top 4 d for all of 16 games.

The fact is that if Iginla is available at the deadline there will be a bidding war for his services, and if we land him we will almost certainly be giving up some assets we'd rather not part with.
Which is why i'd prefer Shero not go for Iginla.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:35 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

"2-3 year stop gaps" are perfect for this team right now IMO. Don't care bout 3, 4, 5 years from now. We are in win now mode every year.

Edit: i said perfect. I don't mean perfect. But stop gaps are fine

Old
02-17-2013, 08:35 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I just don't know if he's the one I'd do it for. More long term is my first choice.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:37 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
I just don't know if he's the one I'd do it for. More long term is my first choice.
Liiiiiike who?

Old
02-17-2013, 08:39 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I'd have to actually look into different players that could be available. I'm simply discussing whether or not iginla is worth blowing our load over.

And IMO he's not.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:41 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
I'd have to actually look into different players that could be available. I'm simply discussing whether or not iginla is worth blowing our load over.

And IMO he's not.
fair enough. but i still don't think he'll go for as much as you portray him to go, but you never know

Old
02-17-2013, 08:44 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
He's averaged 20+ in every season he's played in the NHL. Yes this year he's on pace for <10, but Minny has no secondary offense. When he was putting up 20+ in SJ he wasn't 'the guy' on his line. And his rookie center so far this year hasn't done a lot yet.

I don't think anyone can call him anything close to being a Cheechoo yet.
That's kind of my point though.

The last thing this team needs is yet another guy who needs a ton of help to be effective.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:

And IMO he's not.
I agree with this. We have some chips we can play with, but not an unlimted amount. To blow them all on a 20 game rental is ridiculous. Then the cupboard would again be bare next year and we would still be where we are today.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:52 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I agree with this. We have some chips we can play with, but not an unlimted amount. To blow them all on a 20 game rental is ridiculous. Then the cupboard would again be bare next year and we would still be where we are today.
Agreed, and he's looked pretty sluggish. The guy is in his mid 30's after all and has a **** ton of mileage on him.

I know we're tired of hearing his name, but Kulemin is the absolute right guy. His lack of goal scoring the past while would actually be a blessing because the Leafs would have no right to ask for anything even close to substantial for him, assuming of course they're willing to move him in the first place.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:54 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Agreed, and he's looked pretty sluggish. The guy is in his mid 30's after all and has a **** ton of mileage on him.

I know we're tired of hearing his name, but Kulemin is the absolute right guy. His lack of goal scoring the past while would actually be a blessing because the Leafs would have no right to ask for anything even close to substantial for him, assuming of course they're willing to move him in the first place.
Agreed, as a leafs fan too, i feel that the most the leafs could ask for would be a 1st, he is not worth anything more than that.

Closed Thread