HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamilton reported back in NHL hunt

Old
07-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Hamilton reported back in NHL hunt

i posted this only due to our ties to the city of Hamilton.

AND i know i know it will never happen . BUT everyone who owns or use's a blackberry knows RESERACH IN MOTION if anyone can pull it off it might just be these guys . they have DEEEEP POCKETS billionaire's and there wealth is growing every minute . one of these guys gave a 50 million dollar donation with his own personal money back in 2005
these gents have the cash .

intresting if nothing else

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NAS...=1112274690734

Richard Rodier, the Toronto lawyer who says he's working on behalf of a financer interested in bringing a team to Hamilton.

That money man is thought to be Jim Basillie, the co-CEO and chair of Waterloo-based Research and Motion (RIM), the company that makes the BlackBerry communications device.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 04:17 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Im tired of all this Quebec, Winnipeg, Hamilton garbage. Its not happening.,

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 04:19 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
Im tired of all this Quebec, Winnipeg, Hamilton garbage. Its not happening.,
Why not?

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 04:20 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Why not?
money.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
money.
do you know the guys from Research and Motion ?

i can assure you money is no problem with these guys end of story . they could well affford to buy a team and renovate the copps or for that matter build a new rink . these guys are very very wealty and there wealth grows daily from there products

Old
07-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
money.
Money is certainly not an issue with Hamilton. MLSE would be a problem.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
This is reportedly why Ottawa got the franchise in the early 90s instead of Hamilton, who if I recall, were believed to have a stronger bid than Ottawa at the time.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post

i think if there if the compensation money's given to toronto and buffalo i cant see the problem .

Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis the founders of Reserach in Motion dont need to worrry about money . there company had revenues of over 2 BILLION in 2006 and it growing again in there fiscal 1st fiscal quater of 2007 over 613 million in the first 3 months

there company is valued currently at 15 billion dollars .

in stock options alone in 2006 they cashed in 75 million dollars between the 2 of them . that's just play money for them .

if indeed it is these guys behind a nhl franchise in the steel town you probally will see one there in the next 5 to 10 years in my opinion . these guys would be very legit owners

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 07-11-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old
07-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

They should buy a team , Atlanta is up for grab i think. St-Louis just got sold and Anaheim was last year. They should wake up and make a move instead of asking for a new franchise.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 04:49 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
do you know the guys from Research and Motion ?

i can assure you money is no problem with these guys end of story . they could well affford to buy a team and renovate the copps or for that matter build a new rink . these guys are very very wealty and there wealth grows daily from there products
im not talking about ownership, im talking about money in the pockets of the nhl.
a team in hamilton (for example) isn't very marketable in the united states (which is all that really matters now).

Old
07-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej View Post
They should buy a team , Atlanta is up for grab i think. St-Louis just got sold and Anaheim was last year. They should wake up and make a move instead of asking for a new franchise.

there trying to buy the pens .

Old
07-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
im not talking about ownership, im talking about money in the pockets of the nhl.
a team in hamilton (for example) isn't very marketable in the united states (which is all that really matters now).

well i belive the article says there after the penguins .so why wouldnt sid the kid be marketable in the states as a Hamilton Steelman playing at Blackberry Coliseum in Hamilton

im from the oppisite train of thought a team in Hamilton would be good for another rivalry in Ontario . Ottawa vs Toronto has became a good rivalry over the years . alot of hate towards between both cities. throw Hamilton in there and i think it wouldnt take long of a 3 way rivalry to form .

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 07-11-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old
07-11-2006, 05:00 PM
pepperMonkey

couple of reasons it would never happen

1) As someone mentioned, unless Buffalo gets compensated it would never happen. Same with the Leafs but we know that a franchise in Hamilton wouldn't dent the Toronto market as it might with the Sabres.

2) Copps Coliseum (spelling?) is not looking so hot right now and probably cost an arm and a leg to renovate to NHL standards. Probably necessitates a new arena if we were to have it in Hamilton.

3) Umm...filling the seats wouldn't be much of a problem but getting the TV market needed would be no? Well...not sure about this one.

4) Err...what player or team for that matter would want to move to Hamilton?

As for reasons for having it in Hamilton...

1) Hamilton is a hockey mad city so no problems filling seats there I would expect. And even if there is, there is enough people around the Golden Horseshoe to fillout any empty seats.

2) RIM's cash

3) Did I mention Hamilton is a hockey mad city?

pepperMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 05:01 PM
SOLR

I still think Quebec City is by far the most legit city to welcome hockey in Canada. We are the booming market in Canada and will be for the next 5-10 years. The reasons are multiple

1) A very big number of retirements in the public sectors is forcing a big population increase on the city, same with all the semi-public companies like Videotron or Bell.

2) We have a blooming robotic and high tech sector.(A lot more money in town.)

3) A booming entertainement industry.

So youre talking about a market that will be bigger than Ottawa and Edmonton by quite a lot in 5 years. (Quebec was an hockey market of just over 2m when we lost the nords and it would be close to 2.5m-2.8m now)

Of course the political landscape is not very good to bring the nordiques back and more importantly build a new coliseum.

4) The well documented big rivalry between Montreal and Quebec, historic events at the NHL level. Its part of our culture and imo it would be a shame that the current situation where we have no teams persist.

Cirque Du Soleil and Quebecors gurus are rumored to be interested in owning a team, I think political will is all thats missing. We need a new coliseum hockey or not.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
I still think Quebec City is by far the most legit city to welcome hockey in Canada. We are the booming market in Canada and will be for the next 5-10 years. The reasons are multiple

1) A very big number of retirements in the public sectors is forcing a big population increase on the city, same with all the semi-public companies like Videotron or Bell.

2) We have a blooming robotic and high tech sector.(A lot more money in town.)

3) A booming entertainement industry.

So youre talking about a market that will be bigger than Ottawa and Edmonton by quite a lot in 5 years. (Quebec was an hockey market of just over 2m when we lost the nords and it would be close to 2.5m-2.8m now)

Of course the political landscape is not very good to bring the nordiques back and more importantly build a new coliseum.

4) The well documented big rivalry between Montreal and Quebec, historic events at the NHL level. Its part of our culture and imo it would be a shame that the current situation where we have no teams persist.

Cirque Du Soleil and Quebecors gurus are rumored to be interested in owning a team, I think political will is all thats missing. We need a new coliseum hockey or not.

to be honest Quebec will have another referendum by 2009 and for this simple fact " political" uncertainty i dont see a team coming back to quebec anytime soon .

also no one ever thinks if sucessful "seperation vote" what will happen to our beloved montreal canadiens? end of the habs as weve known them since 1909/10 will certinally be a very sad day .

Old
07-11-2006, 05:11 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

There is not going to be expansion and no teams are moving.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
There is not going to be expansion and no teams are moving.

you can see 5 to 10 years out ?

Old
07-11-2006, 05:23 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
BUT everyone who owns or use's a blackberry knows RESERACH IN MOTION if anyone can pull it off it might just be these guys . they have DEEEEP POCKETS billionaire's and there wealth is growing every minute . one of these guys gave a 50 million dollar donation with his own personal money back in 2005
these gents have the cash .

Do you want me to go ask them if it's true ?

RIM is based just a couple yards away from where I work.

Get ready for the Waterloo GoldenWarriors in the NHL soon.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 05:26 PM
SOLR

Quote:
to be honest Quebec will have another referendum by 2009 and for this simple fact " political" uncertainty i dont see a team coming back to quebec anytime soon .

also no one ever thinks if sucessful "seperation vote" what will happen to our beloved montreal canadiens? end of the habs as weve known them since 1909/10 will certinally be a very sad day .
Lets not go in politics. But no we wont have another referendum imo, the idea of separatism is rather moot in the young generation, and the PQ is dead.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Toro

I would love for hamilton to get the pens. Or for that matter the Nords return to Quebec would be nice too. but.....

I heard CBC(ron mclean) say that they would be against another team in the eastern canadian tv market. Especially hamilton. Toronto and hamilton would fight over saturday night coverage and all..

anybody heard this before?

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 05:31 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
well i belive the article says there after the penguins .so why wouldnt sid the kid be marketable in the states as a Hamilton Steelman playing at Blackberry Coliseum in Hamilton

im from the oppisite train of thought a team in Hamilton would be good for another rivalry in Ontario . Ottawa vs Toronto has became a good rivalry over the years . alot of hate towards between both cities. throw Hamilton in there and i think it wouldnt take long of a 3 way rivalry to form .
people in hamilton have the habs, laffs, wings and sens to cheer for the most part. a healthy franchise in pittsburgh would be more profitable than one in a craphole like hamilton that has 1/6 the population. the ontario area is already saturated with hockey franchises, no reason to add another one. once the penguins get their new arena and sid, malkin, fleury, staal start growing together...you'll see a vast difference in attendance. the melon arena is a joke, the people of pittsburgh deserve a nice hockey arena.

Old
07-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax View Post
Do you want me to go ask them if it's true ?

RIM is based just a couple yards away from where I work.

Get ready for the Waterloo GoldenWarriors in the NHL soon.

Waterloo GoldenWarriors

Old
07-11-2006, 05:51 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
people in hamilton have the habs, laffs, wings and sens to cheer for the most part.
Huh ?

Wings fans but no Sabres fans ? We're not talking about Windsor.

I bet most are Leafs fans, so it's not that important.

Just to show my knewly acquired knowledge of the geography of Southewestern Ontario.

Old
07-11-2006, 05:54 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Waterloo GoldenWarriors
Yeah, that would be a mix between the Waterloo Warriors and the Wilfried Laurier GoldenHawks.

But maybe just the Waterloo Blackberries would be better.

Anyway, we're not in the GTA at least. MLSE would complain less.

Old
07-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax View Post
Yeah, that would be a mix between the Waterloo Warriors and the Wilfried Laurier GoldenHawks.

But maybe just the Waterloo Blackberries would be better.

Anyway, we're not in the GTA at least. MLSE would complain less.

how about the Hamilton Emailer's?