HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Do you fire Laviolette? (Philadelphia Daily News article dated March 12, 2013)

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 06:06 PM
TheLegendkiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
The Flyers are a top 10-15 team. Full season, they'd recover from this, be a 4-7 seed, maybe win a round.

Is that enough though? Because that is all this team is going to accomplish as assembled until they get a defense and stop wasting minutes and draft picks on guys like sestito.
Like somebody said before, Sestito's been fine. Dude single-handedly beat the Lightning. Haven't really noticed him be a determent. Not sure what your beef with him is.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:06 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Like somebody said before, Sestito's been fine. Dude single-handedly beat the Lightning. Haven't really noticed him be a determent. Not sure what your beef with him is.
I have no beef with him. Honestly, I kind of want him in more than Rinaldo.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:17 PM
bauer

can someone confirm if Pronger is indeed on LTIR right now? last i heard the team was keeping him off it so they could buy him out in the summer.

i'm fully onboard with buying out Briere in the summer too. he's been great for us but his best days are behind him. and if this team is gonna retool and get better, they will need his capspace.

this offseason.
#1. make a hard push for Perry (assuming he's a UFA)
#2. buyout Briere (use his 6.5M for Perry)
#3. move Voracek + Cousins or Laughton for Shattenkirk or another young Dman.
#4. sign one of Clowe, McDonald or Ryder for depth on wing.
#5. win cup.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:37 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post
can someone confirm if Pronger is indeed on LTIR right now? last i heard the team was keeping him off it so they could buy him out in the summer.

i'm fully onboard with buying out Briere in the summer too. he's been great for us but his best days are behind him. and if this team is gonna retool and get better, they will need his capspace.

this offseason.
#5. win cup.
I can't see us move them for Shattenkirk, and I doubt the Blues need those players, really. For depth on the wing, I would seriously consider getting Gagne mainly because, well, he's Gagne, for one, and another is because he's still a good two-way forward.

Apparently Perry plays on the PK as well. I mentioned Adam Hall originally because he would be a great 4th line center for us. He's really good at face-offs, he's a really good PKer and seems good overall, and would be cheap. Honestly, he's the 4th line guy we've been missing this season.

We also need a real backup. Montoya or Mason. Someone like that.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:44 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:

this offseason.
#5. win cup.
I'd like to keep Voracek. All we need are defensemen that can move the puck. Not necessarily a no. 1. Just get responsible dmen.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
Why doesn't he wear orange ties anymore. He wore an orange tie every game.

This is clearly the problem.
He wore one yesterday, so there goes that.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:32 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
*2007-Jul-01 Traded Joni Pitkanen from Philadelphia Flyers with Geoff Sanderson and round 3 pick in the 2009 draft to Edmonton Oilers for Jason Smith and Joffrey Lupul
As someone else pointed out, Pitkanen wanted out. And I don't think that return for Pitkanen was too bad either. Lupul was a two time 20 goal scorer and Smith was a fantastic mentor for all the young guys on the team when he arrived here.

Quote:
2008-Nov-07 Traded Steve Downie from Philadelphia Flyers with Steve Eminger and round 4 pick in the 2009 draft (Alex Hutchings) to Tampa Bay Lightning for Matt Carle and round 3 pick in the 2009 draft (Simon Bertilsson)
Steve Downie was in John Stevens' dog house at the time. The Flyers also needed a defenseman and Matt Carle was in need of a change of scenery after the gong show that was going on in Tampa Bay with Len Barrie and Oren Koules. As much as Carle is crapped on around here, he played rather well for us.

Quote:
*2009-Mar-04 Traded Scottie Upshall from Philadelphia Flyers with round 2 pick in the 2011 draft to Phoenix Coyotes for Daniel Carcillo
This move was a panic move. Holmgren ran into cap issues and someone needed to be moved. This was 100% a problematic move that Holmgren made.

Quote:
*2010-Jul-19 Traded Simon Gagne from Philadelphia Flyers to Tampa Bay Lightning for Matt Walker and round 4 pick in the 2011 draft
Another example of a problematic move that Holmgren made. Cap problems once again came into light and Holmgren really sold Gagne at a much lower value. However, Gagne also had concussion and neck issues that make it seem much easier to move.

Quote:
*2011-Jun-23 Traded Jeff Carter from Philadelphia Flyers to Columbus Blue Jackets for Jakub Voracek, round 1 pick in the 2011 draft (Sean Couturier) and round 3 pick in the 2011 draft (Nick Cousins)
I don't think anyone can complain over this move. This wasn't a panic move at all. This was a move to remake the team and acquire some much needed youth to add to the pipeline.

Quote:
*2011-Jun-23 Traded Mike Richards from Philadelphia Flyers with Rob Bordson to Los Angeles Kings for Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn and round 2 pick in the 2012 draft
Once again, this was a move to remake the team. The captaincy was going to go to Pronger and Giroux was going to be made the top centerman. As well, the Flyers received an all world prospect in Schenn and a rugged winger in Simmonds. Another move that I don't think anyone can complain about.

Quote:
*2012-Jun-12 Traded James VanRiemsdyk from Philadelphia Flyers to Toronto Maple Leafs for Luke Schenn
Another move that nobody could complain about. As much success JVR might be having in Toronto, the defense in Philadelphia would be in a whole lot of trouble without Schenn. He's been a rock back there.

As for Giroux, there is no chance the Flyers are moving him. I know that Giroux had an animated discussion with Holmgren, but it was about the state of the team. It wasn't about Giroux wanting out.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:43 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
You heard wrong. He's not on LTIR because they have no reason to put him on it. The only reason he would go on LTIR is if we sign/trade for another player that pushes our salary cap over the cap ceiling and we need the cap relief.

You can't buy out an injured player. Pronger will probably be on the books for the remainder of his deal.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:46 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
You heard wrong. He's not on LTIR because they have no reason to put him on it. The only reason he would go on LTIR is if we sign/trade for another player that pushes our salary cap over the cap ceiling and we need the cap relief.

You can't buy out an injured player. Pronger will probably be on the books for the remainder of his deal.
....but, if Pronger eventually passes his baseline tests, I can see the Flyers buying him out and then Chris calling it a career. There's nothing in the rules that say that can't be done.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:50 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
....but, if Pronger eventually passes his baseline tests, I can see the Flyers buying him out and then Chris calling it a career. There's nothing in the rules that say that can't be done.
Of course. Being on LTIR doesn't block that. He would simply come off LTIR, provided we have the cap space.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
One could question Homer's choice to choose a very old Pronger over Richards in his prime.

02-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Victory5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
One could question Homer's choice to choose a very old Pronger over Richards in his prime.

We got Pronger when he was 34. I truly believe that Chris is one of the greatest leaders in the history of the NHL and even though he was old, he was the perfect guy to lead a young, developing, dynamic team.

Homer and Snider grew tired of the Richards/Carter show, they thought (right) that Pronger could bring some stability to the franchise.

Again, the injury has screwed us up big time

Old
02-17-2013, 08:28 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You don't know that to be the case. Meltzer intimated that Richards glower, lateness, and lack of enthusiasm for doing promotional stuff for the Flyers ticked off the upper management. I believe he relayed a story of Richards being 45 minutes late for a meet and greet that upper management was attending with sponsors at the start of the season he got traded. I am not so sure Holmgren wanted to trade either Richards or Carter as he was brought to tears during an interview that day. Thats just speculation of course as no one really knows, or will ever really know, the full story behind those trades. I think most fans would agree that there was something else there besides just a hockey move.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:47 PM
LI Fly Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
He wore one yesterday, so there goes that.
Sorry I meant every game. It seemed he wore one every game and this year only a handful. It was kind of a joke anyway but still weird.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:52 PM
LI Fly Guy

Another reason not to fire him too soon, although a dumb one but the organization chose Lavy and Pronger over Rochards and Carter. Even though we won those trades in my opinion, the fact they won a cup last year and thr Pronger is done, loosing Lavy also wouldn't look so great. Like a said a dumb reason but we did Invest alot in Pringer and Lavy once those trades were made.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
Another reason not to fire him too soon, although a dumb one but the organization chose Lavy and Pronger over Rochards and Carter. Even though we won those trades in my opinion, the fact they won a cup last year and thr Pronger is done, loosing Lavy also wouldn't look so great. Like a said a dumb reason but we did Invest alot in Pringer and Lavy once those trades were made.
I agree.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:42 PM
FadeToBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I have no beef with him. Honestly, I kind of want him in more than Rinaldo.
Thats what she said.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Coach's job is to prepare and motivate. Regardless of the holes in personnel b/c of injuries and low grade FA signings by the GM this team looks to be getting tired of Lavi. Like Meltzer said in his blog post..all the yelling and shuffling of deck chairs on the Titanic (line changes) can only go so far....they have to figure out how to get this team to not "go through the motions" and to actually come back once this season in a game to win or get a point!

Old
02-18-2013, 02:42 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I can't see us move them for Shattenkirk, and I doubt the Blues need those players, really. For depth on the wing, I would seriously consider getting Gagne mainly because, well, he's Gagne, for one, and another is because he's still a good two-way forward.

Apparently Perry plays on the PK as well. I mentioned Adam Hall originally because he would be a great 4th line center for us. He's really good at face-offs, he's a really good PKer and seems good overall, and would be cheap. Honestly, he's the 4th line guy we've been missing this season.

We also need a real backup. Montoya or Mason. Someone like that.
Gagne was my favourite Flyer before he was traded but I don't want him back. He is one concussion away from becoming Keith Primeau and it would be just more of the same...and no more Knubles, Fedotenkos, Vandermeers, Bouchers please

Old
02-18-2013, 03:00 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Gagne was my favourite Flyer before he was traded but I don't want him back. He is one concussion away from becoming Keith Primeau and it would be just more of the same...and no more Knubles, Fedotenkos, Vandermeers, Bouchers please
Gagne has had multiple concussions and has seemed to come back from all of them. Primeau had one bad one and hasn't felt good till sometime last year. Also, for his skillset, age and price, who else is better (he's 32)?

Old
02-18-2013, 05:02 AM

Why are people still *****ing about the Gagne trade? At the time maybe but as with most of Holmgren's controversial trades, time has vindicated him.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:56 AM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Why are people still *****ing about the Gagne trade? At the time maybe but as with most of Holmgren's controversial trades, time has vindicated him.
Considering walker is still on the roster, not quite.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:31 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Considering walker is still on the roster, not quite.
He was the price of doing right for Gagne. He only wanted to go to the Lightening and Yzerman took advantage of that. The Flyers could of easily just waived him and let the Islanders pick him up.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:14 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
There seems to be this prevailing theory that Gagne "only" wanted to go to Tampa Bay. That didn't really manifest itself leaving after just one year, and as soon as he got there, he was saying in interviews he was only staying one year.

That's the deal Holmgren got (and I think he thought Walker was a good player), and Gagne could either waive his no-trade to go there, or be waived and get claimed by Edmonton. You tell me which you'd rather do.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:43 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
This is a very real possibility. The problem is, what if they have to buy out 2 guys to fit under the cap before Pronger passes his tests.

Closed Thread