HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: Browsing Craig's List 20-24.

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 11:22 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Maybe the hits he threw in the prospects game meant something for some people?
Reminds you of a guy we traded up for, doesn't it? I've seen him twice in person, and will again on March 10th. I couldn't justify taking a defensive D that high again. We've been bitten a couple of times doing that.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Maybe the hits he threw in the prospects game meant something for some people?
Nor do I get why Nurse who reminds me more of Schenn than Zadorov is rated so high, guy gets in a fight at the prospects game and moves up, go figure?

Old
02-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Nor do I get why Nurse who reminds me more of Schenn than Zadorov is rated so high, guy gets in a fight at the prospects game and moves up, go figure?
swing and a miss there bud. not even a close comparison.

02-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Ottawa will probably take him.
they did take the co-captain.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:27 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Lol!

Becomes painfully obvious that somebody doesn't actually watch these kids.

You think if I start liking Bailey, the unwarranted love for him will disappear?

Old
02-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I said Nurse is closer to Schenn than Zadorov is, not that he reminded me of Schenn, though in hockey sense they are on the same path. You don't think his ISS rating is a tad too high? Sort of like Schenn's.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Interactif

Darnell Nurse Scouting Report

Quote:
handles the puck well and is a decent passer, albeit can be inconsistent as a distributor .. passes could be more crisp and on the tape .. also makes peculiar puckmoving decisions at times, forcing pucks into coverage or trying to go solo through an entire team .. tends to over-extend himself and attempts to do too much with the puck .. his inconsistent decision making has raised questions about his hockey sense an area scouts will be monitoring closely as the season advances .. inconsistently aggressive will finish checks with vigour at times, only to let up the next time out .. increasing his physical intensity and reliability will add another dimension to his game .. not afraid to drop the gloves, albeit is not an accomplished fighter .. must continue to upgrade his strength and add mass to a slight, rangy frame .. a character player with leadership abilities as he works hard off the ice .. deserves credit for improving his offensive game yet his value at the next level will be in his ability to keep things simple, play with a competitive streak, while maintaining his defensive assignments.
Sounds like Luke Schenn to me.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Lol reading that report makes him looks like a prospect projected to go in the 5th round ...

Old
02-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Yup. It's official. I cannot deny the similarity anymore.

Interactif, do you know who Skip Bayless is?

Old
02-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
Lol reading that report makes him looks like a prospect projected to go in the 5th round ...
That quote came directly from Mckeen's.

Obcourse it will be scoffed at if one's favourite players are critiqued too harshly.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Quote:
Sounds like Luke Schenn to me.
Coneveniently left out the part about his skating ability then, eh?

Quote:
Darnell Nurse (D, 2013) represented Canada on the international stage twice within the past six months winning bronze at the U18 World Championships and gold at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial in August .. boasts impressive pedigree coming from a family of athletes, including father Richard, a former CFL wide receiver, and his uncle Donovan McNabb, a former all-star NFL quarterback .. fluid skater who is smooth and able to change direction quickly, due to his edge work and pivoting skills .. though his straight-ahead speed lacks some explosiveness, he compensates with his lateral quickness and effortless crossovers that allow him to constantly stay involved in the play .. sticks with plays, exploits his agility and wide wingspan to force opposition skaters to the outside .. a sound stick checker excels at always getting a piece of the puck to break up a play .. can be a 1-on-1 obstacle in the corners due to his size, but needs to do a better job of physically containing forwards .. moves the puck effortlessly and can transition to attack in a heartbeat .. handles the puck well and is a decent passer, albeit can be inconsistent as a distributor .. passes could be more crisp and on the tape .. also makes peculiar puckmoving decisions at times, forcing pucks into coverage or trying to go solo through an entire team .. tends to over-extend himself and attempts to do too much with the puck .. his inconsistent decision making has raised questions about his hockey sense an area scouts will be monitoring closely as the season advances .. inconsistently aggressive will finish checks with vigour at times, only to let up the next time out .. increasing his physical intensity and reliability will add another dimension to his game .. not afraid to drop the gloves, albeit is not an accomplished fighter .. must continue to upgrade his strength and add mass to a slight, rangy frame .. a character player with leadership abilities as he works hard off the ice .. deserves credit for improving his offensive game yet his value at the next level will be in his ability to keep things simple, play with a competitive streak, while maintaining his defensive assignments.

02-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post

You can email Mckeen's directly if you disagree.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:47 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
No I think there were highlights to his skating in my copy and paste, there are rules for copying entire articles I do believe. Schenn was considered a good skater his draft year, the human eraser, a shut down D man that could skate with mobility.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:48 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post

Not even sure what he said that you're referencing Skip, but it must be good... Lol

FTW

Old
02-17-2013, 07:50 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Quote:
fluid skater who is smooth and able to change direction quickly, due to his edge work and pivoting skills .. though his straight-ahead speed lacks some explosiveness, he compensates with his lateral quickness and effortless crossovers that allow him to constantly stay involved in the play
Well I have to say as much as Interactif's quote sounded like Schenn, This is definitly not Schenn.

Why are we discussing drafting a D-man? Shouldn't we be gathering enough picks to move up in the draft to get a #1 Center?

Old
02-17-2013, 07:53 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Well I have to say as much as Interactif's quote sounded like Schenn, This is definitly not Schenn.

Why are we discussing drafting a D-man? Shouldn't we be gathering enough picks to move up in the draft to get a #1 Center?
I don't think you have much to worry about...

Old
02-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Interactif

Quote:

Well that's it, everyone wants to talk about me, like that poster I have on ignore, but this scouting report came from Mckeen's hockey, I don't think he is Schenn either only that unfortunately when someone is quoted and infers Zadorov reminds them of Schenn, I correct the record. Zadorov is less Schenn than Nurse is. That's all, if anyone has a problem with Mckeen's analysis disagree with them, however I do see why they make reference to his lack of hockey IQ, Nurse is not a fluid thinker out there, anyone who has seen him play knows this.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:03 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I don't think you have much to worry about...
Reading some of the ideas about ROR in the trade thread has me plenty worried.
Quote:
Well that's it, everyone wants to talk about me, like that poster I have on ignore, but this scouting report came from Mckeen's hockey, I don't think he is Schenn either only that unfortunately when someone is quoted and infers Zadorov reminds them of Schenn, I correct the record. Zadorov is less Schenn than Nurse is. That's all, if anyone has a problem with Mckeen's analysis disagree with them, however I do see why they make reference to his lack of hockey IQ, Nurse is not a fluid thinker out there, anyone who has seen him play knows this.
Oh a typical HFboards tangent.

Spend 5 pages on some insignificant point that really has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. I occassionally end up with a PM from a mod after getting involved in those.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:04 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Anyone have an idea as to who they rank 11-20 (our probably draft range)?

Old
02-17-2013, 08:08 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Anyone have an idea as to who they rank 11-20 (our probably draft range)?
http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013-nhl-d...spect-rankings

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013-nhl-d...ensus-rankings

Old
02-17-2013, 08:10 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Reading some of the ideas about ROR in the trade thread has me plenty worried.

Oh a typical HFboards tangent.

Spend 5 pages on some insignificant point that really has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. I occassionally end up with a PM from a mod after getting involved in those.
Yeah, the RoR stuff is a bit wild.

And yeah, i mean, I hadn't even mentioned the above until it was clear he doesn't have me on ignore, and put the blatant troll post there. Comparing a two-way D-man to Scenn is silly. Zadorov is a stiff, defensive defenseman, with size, who relies on physicality to be effective, and highly questionable offensive upside, like Schenn was. I wasn't hating on the guy, just calling a spade a spade.

This organization values skating from the back end, and that's definitely clear. Wouldn't be surprised if our rankings, based on what we can decipher of what our guys like, has Ristolainen, Nurse, Morrissy, and Pulock ahead of Zadorov.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Here's hoping we can trade surplus D and Mac for picks then package to move into top 10

Old
02-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Quote:
No I think there were highlights to his skating in my copy and paste, there are rules for copying entire articles I do believe. Schenn was considered a good skater his draft year, the human eraser, a shut down D man that could skate with mobility.
There wasn't and it wasn't a full article.

I didn't follow the draft closely enough in 2008 to say what Schenn was like in his draft year.

When I've watched Nurse, I've seen a very mobile dman that can rush the puck up the ice while Schenn is much better when he makes the simple play and doesn't try anything too fancy. Nurse's offensive potential is much higher than Schenn's as well, imo. I will agree that Nurse sometimes makes questionable decision's with the puck.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:13 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I worded that wrong. Who does everyone want at those positions?

Old
02-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Interactif

Quote:
There wasn't and it wasn't a full article.

I didn't follow the draft closely enough in 2008 to say what Schenn was like in his draft year.

When I've watched Nurse, I've seen a very mobile dman that can rush the puck up the ice while Schenn is much better when he makes the simple play and doesn't try anything too fancy. Nurse's offensive potential is much higher than Schenn's as well, imo. I will agree that Nurse sometimes makes questionable decision's with the puck.
No probs, it wasn't intended to mislead, I was just making sure I wasn't breaking any copyright rules by mentioning I was cribbing notes.

Here is Schenn's partial scouting report:

Quote:
Mckeen's Prospect Rankings editor called Schenn the "best defensive defenseman to come from the draft in maybe two decade"
- Schenn also possesses very underrated offensive abilities, as most people are inclined to think of him simply as a stay-at-home defender
- One scout noted "Schenn moves the puck with the kind of robotic composure most junior forwards won't see until they reach the pro ranks"
- He's drawn comparisons to Nashville's Shea Weber offensively

Closed Thread