HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Coffee Shop Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Lizard King*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
All depends on what comes back, but yeah - would be kind of frustrating to see him go having never gotten a real shot.
I agree, Eller has never been given the chance to play with good wingers.
He obviously won't produce much playing with grinders.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:17 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
Last game proved once again that DD is a better overall player than Eller.
Unfortunately, many on this board over-rate the skill level of Lars. He is a great skater and a good teammate, but isn't a playmaker. He doesn't seem to read the offensive opportunities like DD can. If Eller was so good, he would be on either top two lines. I must say, Eller played better on the wing during Pacioretty absence.
The only way I see him on the top two lines is as a winger. That's it that's all!!!
Yes because playing with people with 0 offensive skill (ahem Moen/Armstrong) == Lars Eller is not a playmaker.

How about we give DD the 4th line for 10 games and see baby Jesus turn 2 pylons into 1st line players. Doubt that WOULD EVER happen though.

How ANYONE can say any center man is not a play maker, when he's been playing with pylons for ages is beyond me.

Unfortunately people on this board over-rate DD, he can only play in an offensive role. If DD was so good he'd be part of the entire game, including the PK.

P.S He scored against a Philly team that has an invisible defense or goaltending. Let's see what he does VS a real defensive team.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:22 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I'm not sure how one game where Eller had the lowest TOI on the team proves much of everything. And if only playmakers can be good centers, then ROR is no center either.

DD is the most creative center on this team. That doesn't make him the best center on the team unless Plekanec was traded without me knowing. Desharnais is a pure passer, what he lacks in athleticism and even puck handling skill he makes up in the ability to pass around the net, and a willingness to pay the price to do so. But he pretty much has to start in the offensive zone to be useful. That's probably why Pacioretty and him have such good chemistry, since Pacioretty can rush with the puck and is a possession beast even when not scoring, even if he lacks creativity.

But what Desharnais is or isn't is irrelevant to the question is if the team is squandering Eller's talents. I don't know how you can compare them when Eller plays on the 4th line.
You aren't a real Canadiens fan if you don't put down one player to praise another. lol it's ridiculous around these parts sometimes when you look at that. Look at the Diaz/Subban talk. Or last year with the Pleks/DD talk. Or the Halak/Price talk.

Even if you like both players (like I do with Eller and DD), people will automatically assume everytime I say something negative about Eller, that I'm throwing him under the bus. Never would I do that to good ol' Lars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
You will probably disagree but IMO what Desharnais is really bad at is defensive zone play in general. Defensively he does a lot of little things right - the effort is there, he doesn't give up on plays and is smart enough to intercept pucks, which means he's decent at recovery, in the offensive or neutral zone, but when he gets a defensive start, I find he usually gets pinned in his own end. Of course it depends who he is playing with but that's the biggest problem with Desharnais for me. It reminds me of Briere.
That's not because he's bad at defense though.

It's because he's atrocious at faceoffs. Plekanec and Eller lose a lot of draws, but they usually are a lot less clean (meaning the puck gets tied up on the boards or the opposing team has to quick cycle. Desharnais either wins, or loses badly on the draw, which gives the other team perfect possession.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:29 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub View Post
I agree, Eller has never been given the chance to play with good wingers.
He obviously won't produce much playing with grinders.
I like the way Snrub thinks!

Old
02-17-2013, 05:30 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Mitch Gallo is an idiot, right? I don't follow tsn 690 enough to know for sure.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Teufelsdreck

Don't be misled by his modest production. I'm apprehensive about trading Eller and watching him blossom elsewhere while the Habs receive a so-so exchange or less. The Habs have a recent history of this, for example, d'Agostini for Palushaj. Meanwhile, don't forget Eller's four-goal game.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Mitch Gallo is an idiot, right? I don't follow tsn 690 enough to know for sure.
Why do you say that? What did Gallo say? He's not an idiot...though he is a Leaf fan...

Old
02-17-2013, 05:41 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Why do you say that? What did Gallo say? He's not an idiot...though he is a Leaf fan...
He used last years points (with no context whatsoever) to determine who is the most deserving of ice time/playing on a higher trio between Eller and DD. I told him that his analysis was shallow so he called me a fanboy.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I like the way Snrub thinks!
That's Mr. Snrub to you.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:05 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
He used last years points (with no context whatsoever) to determine who is the most deserving of ice time/playing on a higher trio between Eller and DD. I told him that his analysis was shallow so he called me a fanboy.
Yeah he's an idiot.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:57 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Yeah he's an idiot.
You might enjoy the read, then. His jimmies are most definitely rustled.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:00 PM
pine

Quote:
You might enjoy the read, then. His jimmies are most definitely rustled.
Link?

Old
02-17-2013, 08:02 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Link?
You has the tweeters?

https://twitter.com/MitchyGallo

Old
02-17-2013, 08:26 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
Yes because playing with people with 0 offensive skill (ahem Moen/Armstrong) == Lars Eller is not a playmaker.

How about we give DD the 4th line for 10 games and see baby Jesus turn 2 pylons into 1st line players. Doubt that WOULD EVER happen though.

How ANYONE can say any center man is not a play maker, when he's been playing with pylons for ages is beyond me.

Unfortunately people on this board over-rate DD, he can only play in an offensive role. If DD was so good he'd be part of the entire game, including the PK.

P.S He scored against a Philly team that has an invisible defense or goaltending. Let's see what he does VS a real defensive team.
and there folks is a statement of truth and reason
DD was manufactured in a sense. A victim of fortunate circumstance.
Is he a playmaker? without a doubt, but one that has to be sheltered.
And I agree with the above insinuated statement - Give Eller the same chances as DD and let's see what he can do.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Bloumeister
Live And Let Dye

Quote:
You has the tweeters?

Gallo wouldn't last 5 minutes on this board

That's why you're my bestest most favorite mod ever

Old
02-17-2013, 08:37 PM
pine

Quote:
You has the tweeters?

I'm dying right now. What a tool.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Gary320

In general I find Mitch Gallo pretty awful. After reading those tweets. My opinion hasn't changed.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Et le But

At least he didn't immediately block you for disagreeing like Tony.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:01 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
and there folks is a statement of truth and reason
DD was manufactured in a sense. A victim of fortunate circumstance.
Is he a playmaker? without a doubt, but one that has to be sheltered.
And I agree with the above insinuated statement - Give Eller the same chances as DD and let's see what he can do.
Agreed. Can't judge a talent when he's not give a proper chance to prove himself.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:21 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
You has the tweeters?

Quote:

I'm dying right now. What a tool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
In general I find Mitch Gallo pretty awful. After reading those tweets. My opinion hasn't changed.
Sorry but you were kinda being a jerk there Overlords. I don't necessarily disagree with you as I think eller should play a bit more and with some better players, but only when/if we get rid of DD. DD is definitely better suited in an offensive role at this point, he can't handle the bottom six/shutdown role.

I don't want DD as my top-2 center, but I don't want Eller there either. Not yet at least.

Mitch Gallo is a nice guy and he knows his hockey pretty well. He's not a tool like Tony Marinaro, and I couldn't get behind being a jerk towards the guy.

Last edited by HankyZetts: 02-18-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old
02-18-2013, 12:31 AM
OneSharpMarble

Now if only he could draw some interest from Therrien.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:28 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Sorry but you were kinda being a jerk there Overlords. I don't necessarily disagree with you as I think eller should play a bit more and with some better players, but only when/if we get rid of DD. DD is definitely better suited in an offensive role at this point, he can't handle the bottom six/shutdown role.

I don't want DD as my top-2 center, but I don't want Eller there either. Not yet at least.

Mitch Gallo is a nice guy and he knows his hockey pretty well. He's not a tool like Tony Marinaro, and I couldn't get behind being a jerk towards the guy.
Of course I was being a jerk. That was kind of the idea. Thanks for being so kind about it, though.

And what I said to him had little to do with Eller vs. DD, and everything to do with his method of comparison, which was sloppy at best. Then he tried to attach some language drama to it for kicks. Irresponsible and awful sports journalism like that, however, is now status quo in this city. That really pisses me off.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:55 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Of course I was being a jerk. That was kind of the idea. Thanks for being so kind about it, though.

And what I said to him had little to do with Eller vs. DD, and everything to do with his method of comparison, which was sloppy at best. Then he tried to attach some language drama to it for kicks. Irresponsible and awful sports journalism like that, however, is now status quo in this city. That really pisses me off.
I hear ya.

I know the guy personally, and he's a real nice guy. He knows his stuff pretty well too. He's not at all a blowhard like Marinaro, so I just don't want him to have a bad rap. He doesn't deserve it.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:33 AM
Bloumeister
Live And Let Dye

Quote:

You got my vote as this city's mod

Old
02-18-2013, 07:39 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Irresponsible and awful sports journalism like that, however, is now status quo in this city. That really pisses me off.
First I'm hearing of this, are there any particularly notable cases of this phenomena?

Closed Thread