HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

It's Time to Tank: Who Gets Moved

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 05:33 PM
ratmanfu

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
I'm not ready to unleash the tanks...way to early in the season to give up hope.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:43 PM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Absolutely not. It's time to get our **** together and turn this around. It ain't over yet.

Tanking is garbage.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:31 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

vCash: 50
Breaking news from around the League!!

The Kings have decided to give up on the season, they are a HORRIBLE 5-6-2 so far. The chance for LA to repeat as Champions is over with them being an insurmountable 4pts out of the playoffs and it's arguably impossible to come back from with only 35 games left.

Word from around the league is Sutter and Lombardi are ready to trade Doughty and Brown and tank the season to acquire a top 5 2013 draft pick. The top 5 pick will right the ship according to Lombardi and Co.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:44 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post

The Kings have decided to give up on the season, they are a HORRIBLE 5-6-2 so far. The chance for LA to repeat as Champions is over with them being an insurmountable 4pts out of the playoffs and it's arguably impossible to come back from with only 35 games left.

Word from around the league is Sutter and Lombardi are ready to trade Doughty and Brown and tank the season to acquire a top 5 2013 draft pick. The top 5 pick will right the ship according to Lombardi and Co.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:27 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post

LA is obviously a better team than Florida and the likelihood of them making the playoffs is still very low.

They are also at a different stage than Florida. They have their team in place. It's just a matter of swapping parts out and keeping things going.

Florida still doesn't have their team. There are some pieces of a new core taking shape (Huberdeau, Shore, Gudbranson, Kulikov?) but a lot of pieces that are transitional after the breakup of the old core (Weiss, Horton, Booth, Bouwmeester). It makes a lot more sense for Florida to make "sellers trades" of players outside of that core than the Kings.

Last years success caught Tallon & company by surprise. He'll have no problems letting things ride this season, even if it means missing the playoffs. He'll have no problems selling at the deadline if the team is clearly out of contention (and despite superficial appearances, they are getting there very fast).

No team intentionally tanks...

but if you define "tanking" as something like...

"let the current team take its lumps, don't make any moves that cost future assets and leave Clemmensen in net while Markstrom plays in San Antonio"

I think Tallon will "tank". He's looking past this season.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Erick

What will the % # look like if we win tomorrow night?

Old
02-17-2013, 08:04 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
That's a 4% chance of making the playoffs at the rate of us keeping a pace of a 4-6 record though right? If we get above .500 then the % will be different.
There is a 100% chance you are correct.

We need a 5,6 game winning streak and then these numbers change drastically.

Of course one then asks what are the chances of that?

Old
02-17-2013, 08:10 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
What will the % # look like if we win tomorrow night?
Supposedly, go up 1.8%. Also, we can get an extra 0.1% if the Devils beat the Sens. In other words, not very much.

I think that site is a good way of realistically seeing what ground we have to make up to reach our goals of making the playoffs, but I can't completely put my faith into it. I have a hard time thinking that if we lose a few more games that we'll drop down to 0%.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:12 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
There is a 100% chance you are correct.

We need a 5,6 game winning streak and then these numbers change drastically.

Of course one then asks what are the chances of that?
Only that's not the way the odds are calculated.

If the Panthers IMPROVE to a 50 point pace there is a ~4% chance of playoffs. Right now they are on a 41 point pace - which is a 0% chance.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:27 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Only that's not the way the odds are calculated.

If the Panthers IMPROVE to a 50 point pace there is a ~4% chance of playoffs. Right now they are on a 41 point pace - which is a 0% chance.
So we are a 4% chance now, and if we win the next 2 games are odds don't change?

Old
02-17-2013, 09:53 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
So we are a 4% chance now, and if we win the next 2 games are odds don't change?
If Panthers win their next game, odds go from 4.1% to 5.8%.

I'm guessing another win after that puts them up to 7.5 to 8%.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:09 PM
FrolikFan67

well if we won the washington and lightning games like we shouldve and could've, and in regulation, we would be 2 pt out of a playoff spot and 2nd in the division, and thats only a 2pt difference. we're only out by 4pts, and have gotten points in 7 of our last 8 games i think. we still have a chance regardless of what obscure percentages and stats say (how does that even make sense anyways? i get it with the lottery balls, but playing games isnt exactly the same thing thing. i think the percentage thing here is kinda silly). we shouldnt tank, but if we dont make the playoffs i pray we get one of mackinnon, drouin, barkov, monahan, or lindholm. wouldnt mind jones either haha but i'd rather a forward (take jones if mackinnon, drouin, and barkov are gone. he'll be taken top 2 so we probably wont have to worry about that dilemma).

Old
02-18-2013, 09:05 PM
SufferingCatFan

Soon to lose another home game....

Old
02-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 50
Carolina isnt making it easier to tank. They lost today..

Old
02-18-2013, 10:06 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Certainly nothing is mathematically impossible, but the writing appears to be on the wall. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this team struggles for the next 2-3 years as the team begins to fill out with our prospects. To me, if we see nothing more than the establishment of Jonathan Huberdeau and Drew Shore as legitimate top 6 forwards and Guds continues to develop as the bruising defensemen he is becoming, then Id say the year is a success. It would also be nice to see Howden and Petro make a couple of appearances and maybe even crack the squad. Getting another top 3 pick to use on a forward will probably be necessary to fill out our first line too.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Cats Kneading Goals
MST3K all day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
Certainly nothing is mathematically impossible, but the writing appears to be on the wall. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this team struggles for the next 2-3 years as the team begins to fill out with our prospects. To me, if we see nothing more than the establishment of Jonathan Huberdeau and Drew Shore as legitimate top 6 forwards and Guds continues to develop as the bruising defensemen he is becoming, then Id say the year is a success. It would also be nice to see Howden and Petro make a couple of appearances and maybe even crack the squad. Getting another top 3 pick to use on a forward will probably be necessary to fill out our first line too.
This is right about where I am with the season. Watching Huberdeau, Gudbranson and Shore play has been fun so far. They all look very good.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Lessthan900
Rookie User

If we tank, we are only going to become a worse team next year. Our worthwhile veterans will end up elsewhere, and we'll have hacks like Jovanovski and Kuba to help the young guys. Who knows, maybe we'll even start losing our young guys--Ellerby is already gone, and for nothing in return; he was even willing to fight. Now all the no-spirit losers can surround no-spirit Weiss and try to weasel their way into the playoffs again. The fact that Weiss is unqualified to be captain--because his lack of drive and guts--means he should be off the team. Only silly old-timers can appreciate a used-up money pit like Jovanovski as a worthy captain. "I'll lead you to victory!" Yeah, Valeri Bure would have been a better leader. "Hey guys, how did the game go?" Remember the original Sunrise Express line? Olli scored more than them by himself, playing with third line Euros (okay, and Stumpel and Kozlov). Yeah, Olli sucks now. Whatever! No starting over! Look at other teams; the winners have star forwards--at least one. So until Huberdeau becomes an indomitable force, get a star already. Tallon is not even trying to build a winner. A tax write-off, yes, winner, no.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:52 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats Kneading Goals View Post
This is right about where I am with the season. Watching Huberdeau, Gudbranson and Shore play has been fun so far. They all look very good.
Gudbranson has been underwhelming.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessthan900 View Post
If we tank, we are only going to become a worse team next year. Our worthwhile veterans will end up elsewhere, and we'll have hacks like Jovanovski and Kuba to help the young guys. Who knows, maybe we'll even start losing our young guys--Ellerby is already gone, and for nothing in return; he was even willing to fight. Now all the no-spirit losers can surround no-spirit Weiss and try to weasel their way into the playoffs again. The fact that Weiss is unqualified to be captain--because his lack of drive and guts--means he should be off the team. Only silly old-timers can appreciate a used-up money pit like Jovanovski as a worthy captain. "I'll lead you to victory!" Yeah, Valeri Bure would have been a better leader. "Hey guys, how did the game go?" Remember the original Sunrise Express line? Olli scored more than them by himself, playing with third line Euros (okay, and Stumpel and Kozlov). Yeah, Olli sucks now. Whatever! No starting over! Look at other teams; the winners have star forwards--at least one. So until Huberdeau becomes an indomitable force, get a star already. Tallon is not even trying to build a winner. A tax write-off, yes, winner, no.
Oh, I didn't know Tallon could create money out of thin air. That old codger.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Lessthan900
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
This sounds so promising. Unfortunately, it is a formula we've dreamt over and over. I too really enjoy seeing Shore, and especially Huberdeau and Gudbranson, do well, but even if Markström becomes the best goalie ever, we need more. This team is so much better than teams we've had in prior years, but there are huge holes, the major one being goaltending, the other being the lack of a solid star on offense to lead the attack.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I think he's been good. He's a defense first defenseman who doesn't score a lot of points yet. So he's not going to blind anyone with flash. But he's doing what he's supposed to be doing, and has laid a lot of big hits.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Lessthan900
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Oh, I didn't know Tallon could create money out of thin air. That old codger.
He sure knows how to WASTE money. Jovanovski's plus Kuba's salary equals just about enough for a star forward. Your sarcasm is just stupid.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:04 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessthan900 View Post
He sure knows how to WASTE money. Jovanovski's plus Kuba's salary equals just about enough for a star forward. Your sarcasm is just stupid.
And no other GM in history has ever made a bad signing? Every GM does. He's made a lot of good ones too. With Kuba and Jovo's salaries combined, we could afford one star forward. You have to spend on defense too though. His spending has been balanced. He's doing a respectable job with one of the lowest budgets in the league. It's not like he has MLSE backing him.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:28 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
And no other GM in history has ever made a bad signing? Every GM does. He's made a lot of good ones too. With Kuba and Jovo's salaries combined, we could afford one star forward. You have to spend on defense too though. His spending has been balanced. He's doing a respectable job with one of the lowest budgets in the league. It's not like he has MLSE backing him.
Exactly. And to be honest, I rather see him clean up his mistakes as quickly as possible. I've read a few people say that you can't get rid of guys you just signed even if they are doing bad. I think the opposite. If Clem isn't getting the job done then try and cut your losses. What I don't want Tallon to do is be like, "I signed you and even though you aren't effectively doing your job, I'm going to keep you on because I just signed you and I have to be a nice guy." I mean shoot, keeping a bad player around just because you re-signed him doesn't mean you'll keep your GM job.

-ghoste

Old
02-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Cats Kneading Goals
MST3K all day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I like him. He looks solid to me. Manhandles people with an attitude. Right now he seems like the only guy on D that can make a solid first pass out of the defensive zone. That's counting Campbell too.

Closed Thread