HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Trade Deadline: Who will we see in red?

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 12:12 AM
RedWinger10

vCash: 500
I think we need to see a healthy team before considering a trade.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:30 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWinger10 View Post
I think we need to see a healthy team before considering a trade.
It is becoming more and more likely we won't see that at any point in time. We can hopefully get more healthy, but look around nobody is really getting through this season without injuries.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Kiddington
heehats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
I'd say Kindl's play has already surpassed Quincey's but I know I'm pretty much alone in that regard.
Nope, not totally alone.

I've been a Kindl supporter for a while now; one of the very few around these parts, to be sure. I firmly believe the guy has all the tools to be a solid defenseman in this league; size, good offensive instincts, (usually) knows how to make a good first pass... and he's been a lot more physical this year to boot. It's all about opportunity, and this year, now that he's finally been given something resembling an actual chance, he's been fine for the most part... even a pleasant surprise. Okay, yeah, he was pretty bad last night, but what defenseman in this league doesn't have a bad game every now and again? No need to look away from the bigger picture just because of one sub-par performance.

Quincey, on the other hand?

Old
02-15-2013, 01:02 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
It is becoming more and more likely we won't see that at any point in time. We can hopefully get more healthy, but look around nobody is really getting through this season without injuries.
Sad but true. Let's just hope we have peaked in that department, and be glad no season ending ones so far.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:29 PM
RedWinger10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Well signing players like Carlo Coliacovo is the root of the problem. He has never played a full season in his nhl career. Signing him was a huge mistake. He's a decent puck mover but he can't move the puck watching the games on tv. Signing players like this will only dent our CAP space nothing else.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:32 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
I'd say Kindl's play has already surpassed Quincey's but I know I'm pretty much alone in that regard.
Hah, you're not even a little bit alone there, brother.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:24 AM
RedWinger10

Who do you think is the top under performers of the year thus far? Do you think it's time to trade them for someone possibly better or cut their ice time and put some more young blood on the ice? These last two losses are disheartening, and I know I'm not the only one with some strong opinions.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:27 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWinger10 View Post
Who do you think is the top under performers of the year thus far? Do you think it's time to trade them for someone possibly better or cut their ice time and put some more young blood on the ice? These last two losses are disheartening, and I know I'm not the only one with some strong opinions.
In my mind they are Niklas Kronwall (horrible defensively) and Dan Cleary who doesn't get his repaired knee going and is worthless because of that. Others are just injured, or having pretty much expected seasons.

I want Cleary to get traded/benched/reduced role, when injured players come back and get Kronwall out from the 1st PP, to his old secondary role. That should ease his pressure, it really looks like a mental problem more than anything else.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:12 AM
islandermaniac

what would the wings offer up for the likes of mark streit or lubomir visnovsky at the deadline given the state of the wings blue line?

Old
02-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
what would the wings offer up for the likes of mark streit or lubomir visnovsky at the deadline given the state of the wings blue line?
4th with a conditional 2nd if they re-sign.

02-16-2013, 09:24 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
Not much, I think. Or hope.

3rd or 4th and mid level prospect. Or some of our bottom 6 players if Isles would want.

So I think you could get better value form other teams.

This may change if the team looks better as deadline comes closer.

edit. Winger98 may have said it better than me.

Last edited by InjuredChoker: 02-16-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old
02-16-2013, 10:00 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

If the Oilers can't resign Ladislav Smid... Wings should pursue him like a hound dog. Let's just put it this way- Brad Stuart is Smid-lite. Wings need to do a better job at patchworking a patchwork defense. Smid and Lydman would be a good start. We aren't getting a number 1 like Lidstrom or less in a while.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:06 AM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
If the Oilers can't resign Ladislav Smid... Wings should pursue him like a hound dog. Let's just put it this way- Brad Stuart is Smid-lite. Wings need to do a better job at patchworking a patchwork defense. Smid and Lydman would be a good start. We aren't getting a number 1 like Lidstrom or less in a while.
He's gonna resign.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:14 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
He's gonna resign.
We'll see.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
4th with a conditional 2nd if they re-sign.
yikes! i would say that is not an awful lot! if that is the market, i hope the isles just keep the players for the season, even if that means losing them for nothing this summer.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Not much, I think. Or hope.

3rd or 4th and mid level prospect. Or some of our bottom 6 players if Isles would want.

So I think you could get better value form other teams.

This may change if the team looks better as deadline comes closer.

edit. Winger98 may have said it better than me.
i hope he didn't haha!

Old
02-16-2013, 11:30 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
I'm torn between the following thought paths:

A. They might actually have a shot if everyone were healthy and hoping they could pull a 2011 Bruins, make a bunch of perfect adds at the deadline, and roll on. (Path A is contingent on them somehow getting Cleary out of the lineup permanently)

B. The only thing they'll accomplish with trades this year is sneaking into the playoffs, at which time they'll be obliterated by some unimpressive team and they'll miss out on any chance to get lucky in the lottery and really fix the team long-term.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Harnessed in Slums

We're most of the way to what I wanted to see, ie our prospects getting a chance to show us what they can do at the NHL level. It's obvious Filppula isn't healthy so rather than have him turn into Dan Cleary I'd get him healthy and bring up Riley Sheahan. Then when we have a good handle on what our top prospects do at the NHL level we can decide which vets can get traded/waived and which prospects do not fit.

I understand some think signing a bunch of flotsam and jetsam like Cola and Sammy gave us depth, however all it's done to this point is simply delay the inevitable. I can't see how anyone thinks this team is Cup caliber, we'd be lucky to fight tooth and nail for the 8th seed and lose in 5 games in round one. I'd also strongly consider trading Mule, although no one would seriously take on that contract. Kronner has a no trade so we're stuck with him.

Try to trade Cola when he's healthy, Sammy when he's healthy, Cleary for a team that wants some veteran grit/PK talent, Eaves, etc. Stock up on draft picks for what is expected to be a great draft class and let Hakan and Nill work their magic.

Mrazek looks good, Emmerton is showing signs he can be a solid 4th line center, Tatar is demonstrating great offensive skill, Andersson is proving he should get a longer look, etc. This is obviously a transition season, I see no point in fighting the inevitable. It's time to take stock and move on.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:58 PM
RedWinger10

The last 3 games have been EMBARRASSING to say the least. Sammy and Cleary...aren't fitting in to put it lightly. And if I see Kronwall screen our goaltender resulting in a goal one more time I'm going to throw my autographed puck through my TV. These are veterans who should be mentoring and showing our youngster how its done. I hope they are wearing blindfolds because there is nothing good to be learned from these 3 thus far. Maybe it's time to explore our options with these 3. What do you think?

Old
02-17-2013, 08:09 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Playoffs or not...

It's be happy to dump any of the following:

Cleary
Sammy
Bert
Miller
Eaves
White
Quincey
Colaiacovo
Huskins

Trade them all for 4th rounders or waive them. I don't care.

Without those guys:

Franzen Zetterberg Brunner
Flip Datsyuk Nyquist
Tatar Helm Tootoo
Abdelkader Emmerton Ferraro

------Is that group of forwards much worse than our current group?-----------------

Defense is tougher...

Kronwall Ericsson
Smith Kindl
Almqvist Lashoff
----------------------
Obviously a drop off, but whatever

I think the other thing that we're seeing is this:
We can not and should not overpay Jimmy Howard or Valtteri Filppula

Old
02-17-2013, 08:10 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
I'm wondering what happens if this team goes on a 7 or 8 game losing streak and falls out of playoff contention.

Do we see a feeble attempt to load up and make the playoffs, or do we see this team as a Seller for the first time since the mid-80s?

Maybe a more appropriate thread would be Who Will We See Not In Red Anymore? Not that they have much of anything that would bring a premium return, but it's interesting anyway. White and Miller would have value to a contender, and Flip would bring in a decent return if they decided to deal him.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:12 PM
BinCookin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Playoffs or not...

It's be happy to dump any of the following:

Cleary
Sammy
Bert
Miller
Eaves
White
Quincey
Colaiacovo
Huskins

I think the other thing that we're seeing is this:
We can not and should not overpay Jimmy Howard or Valtteri Filppula
Agreed on all names, except i like White. I say keep him.
I do not think Howard OR Flip should get more than 4Mil.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I'm wondering what happens if this team goes on a 7 or 8 game losing streak and falls out of playoff contention.

Do we see a feeble attempt to load up and make the playoffs, or do we see this team as a Seller for the first time since the mid-80s?

Maybe a more appropriate thread would be Who Will We See Not In Red Anymore? Not that they have much of anything that would bring a premium return, but it's interesting anyway. White and Miller would have value to a contender, and Flip would bring in a decent return if they decided to deal him.
I've been wondering the same thing. I really think if they keep playing like this it will force Holland's hand into selling.

Well...

But then again, he could totally swing for the fences and move off prospects/picks for some veteran help, ala going wild for a guy like JBo.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:15 PM
BinCookin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post

It is a very interesting thought.

Honestly I bet we would be happy with 5th and 6th rounders for alot of the bottom 6.
As for Bert/Sammy, maybe we can get a prospect, but likely just 3rd/4th rounders. (Maybe a 2nd if we are lucky)

Old
02-17-2013, 08:16 PM
BinCookin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
I've been wondering the same thing. I really think if they keep playing like this it will force Holland's hand into selling.

Well...

But then again, he could totally swing for the fences and move off prospects/picks for some veteran help, ala going wild for a guy like JBo.
JBo's stock has gone up hasn't it??

Closed Thread