HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Avs Recall Stefan Elliott

Old
02-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
I agree they all won't go, Zanon just seems to me consistent enough that a team looking for depth in a run may come inquire about.
ROB just needs to go even just for a perennial AHL guy.
Maybe next year, depending on what happens. I don't doubt there would be teams interested but they'd have him for next year as well. Personally, I think Zanon could still be a useful player playing on the bottom pairing with Shane O'Brien...that's a solid bottom pairing, in my opinion. I have to admit that Zanon hasn't looked as good as I expected but then again, we aren't exactly a great team as a whole so far this year. If we had a stronger top-4, it wouldn't really be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
As far as #7 guys go, Hunwick's pretty good. Came in after sitting most of the season and played reasonably well in a depth role. It's only when Sacco thinks he can handle anything above that spot where his complete lack of a mental game exposes him. He's almost like a blueliner version of Kevin Porter--provides plenty of energy, grit, and effort in a limited capacity.

That said, we can't trust our coach to use him properly. He needs to go first. Then I'd look into re-signing O'Byrne and getting rid of either Wilson or Zanon.
I don't think RoB gets re-signed. As MANY have pointed out here, he's pretty limited in his puck skills and hasn't looked great this year since he's been separated from Hejda. He's on a $1.8M contract right now and I certainly wouldn't give him more than that with term. I think he gets sent to the highest bidder at the trade deadline (or sooner). If he starts to play at his max (I believe that's how he played last year with Hejda) we MIGHT be able to get a 3rd round pick for him.

For Hunwick, I agree, he's a 'decent' #7 guy but how he goes from there to playing 20+ minutes per night, I will NEVER understand. His giveaways are happening more and more and it's because he plays too much. (Tank On)

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:57 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
Barrie was probs our best D yesterday apart from the giveaway on the Hemsky goal. No way is Sacco that dumb
you sir severely underestimate the stupidity of Sacco.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:05 PM
rpontbriand

vCash: 500
Agree with this move. Season is a waste to let see Barrie and Elliot full time and have them play a ton of minutes to see if they are truly part of our future.

As far as tank. Sick of hearing it. As Al Iafrate said years ago "open nets are for *******." As such is "tanking."

rpontbriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Congo Jack
Please Understand

This move just reeks of desperation. Also they won't call up Gaunce till we play against the Pens, that way we can finally get a goal from a defense man.

Congo Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:26 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
Barrie was probs our best D yesterday apart from the giveaway on the Hemsky goal. No way is Sacco that dumb
...it's sacco

if our coach were moderately intelligent I see no way O'Byrne doesn't sit tomorrow, that may have been the worst game I've ever seen from an NHL defenceman

falconski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:43 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE RANDESKOGAH View Post
This move just reeks of desperation. Also they won't call up Gaunce till we play against the Pens, that way we can finally get a goal from a defense man.
he is one of the bright spots for the Avs in the system on D. D is our absolute worst position at the NHL level and we need talent playing and developing. no reason for him to sit and toil away in the AHL when he's needed.

and for the love of God it forces Sacco to use someone else other than keep trotting out the same old crap(but good lord EJ not playing shows his true value to this team.)

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Quote:
I would disagree.

I'm sure they would have wanted him up earlier, if he had been healthy. Other guys don't produce or play well, then there is no reason to not call up a young prospect and give him the minutes.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Elliott is going to look awesome. I think he will provide the dynamic offense we've wanted to see from Barrie and gotten glimpses of so far.

Best part? If he and Barrie look ready they will force Sherman to make some trades when Wilson and EJ comeback.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:52 PM
jfisher6
Samurai Champloo

vCash: 50
Still not sure why Shane O'Brien is still on the roster. He got absolutely EMBARRASSED by Hemsky last night and he's been ******* all season long. Him and Zanon are our worst Dmen by far. Hunwick has stepped it up a bit and he really isn't the problem. We can't keep this many pylons. Only one can stay between SOB, ROB, and Zanon, as far as I'm concerned.

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Congo Jack
Please Understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I would disagree.

I'm sure they would have wanted him up earlier, if he had been healthy. Other guys don't produce or play well, then there is no reason to not call up a young prospect and give him the minutes.

But he has only played two games after being injured for quite some time. Why not let him get a bit more prepared in the AHL, instead of tossing him right into the big leagues? That's why I think it smells of desperation.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
Still not sure why Shane O'Brien is still on the roster. He got absolutely EMBARRASSED by Hemsky last night and he's been ******* all season long. Him and Zanon are our worst Dmen by far. Hunwick has stepped it up a bit and he really isn't the problem. We can't keep this many pylons. Only one can stay between SOB, ROB, and Zanon, as far as I'm concerned.
Totally in agreement. I can't understand why he was re-upped and Zanon was brought in on top of that. Still makes zero sense.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Nice to see him back up. He's an alumnus of my old high school (2nd of such to suit up for the Avs, actually - the other was Paul Kariya)

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
But he has only played two games after being injured for quite some time. Why not let him get a bit more prepared in the AHL, instead of tossing him right into the big leagues? That's why I think it smells of desperation.
Because the Avs thought a bunch of pylons would be great placeholders and wouldn't put any pressure on the organization to rush the youngsters to the big show. What a plan!

The trading of Liles makes less and less sense by the day.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Solid move, in my mind lets keep him around and see what he's got.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Freudian
Calmer than you are

I think Avs have looked around the league and see how many top defenses are relying on puck retrieval, first pass and the ability to skate with the puck as a mean to relieve pressure defensively and create offense. Blues and Sens are two examples where their entire gameplan is built around this.

It's not hard to figure Avs looking at the merry bunch of misfits we lovingly call defense, see what Barrie has been able to do in the last games and go "yeah, we might need a bit more of that". Many of our defenders are absolutely terrible at puck retrieval. That's why a ****** team like Edmonton get 56 shots on us.

We're two games below .500, injury and greed stricken and have a really tough schedule. There isn't really anything to lose here.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:11 PM
AslanRH
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Totally in agreement. I can't understand why he was re-upped and Zanon was brought in on top of that. Still makes zero sense.
Quote:
Because the Avs thought a bunch of pylons would be great placeholders and wouldn't put any pressure on the organization to rush the youngsters to the big show. What a plan!

The trading of Liles makes less and less sense by the day.
I truly think you are correct answering your first quote with your second. I do believe the plan was to ease in the young guys.
Thinking one year deals would not have got the vets signed and now the 2 year deals are going to bite us in the ***.

Last edited by AslanRH: 02-17-2013 at 08:31 PM.
AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:41 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Is it possible he is being showcased for a trade with ROR?

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
If that's the case, I hope he has a career night.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Freudian
Calmer than you are

Quote:
Or we're showcasing O'Byrne by not playing him?

Old
02-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Congo Jack
Please Understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Did you see how he warmed that bench? Sign that man!

Old
02-17-2013, 09:15 PM
AslanRH
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Or we get stomped 8-0 and the league sees how our defense relies so heavily on him and just crumbles when he sits.

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Hans Landaskog

O'Byrne 4 Norris

#stuffnobodysays

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Drury_Sakic

This is probably nothing more than a reaction to last nights **** fest......but it COULD be a signal that the Avs are close on trading O'Reilly. Rumors have it that most of the trades the Avs have talked about have the Avs shipping out O'Reilly + one of the depth D men....perhaps they are close to a deal and are going to bench a guy or just want to have Elliott on hand incase the acquired player cannot make it in time to the next game.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
If that's the case, I hope he has a career night.
Elliott? Kinda hope not.
Hunwick? That would be fine.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Freudian
Calmer than you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
This is probably nothing more than a reaction to last nights **** fest......but it COULD be a signal that the Avs are close on trading O'Reilly. Rumors have it that most of the trades the Avs have talked about have the Avs shipping out O'Reilly + one of the depth D men....perhaps they are close to a deal and are going to bench a guy or just want to have Elliott on hand incase the acquired player cannot make it in time to the next game.
It wouldn't surprise me if one or two of our D is playing with some minor injury. Some of them were pretty slow last night.