HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Rocket Moving again

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-17-2013, 07:57 PM
  #1
rocketfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 322
vCash: 500
Rocket Moving again

Rumors out there now are that the Rocket are moving to Sorel Tracey I wonder if there is any truth to this 1

rocketfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:58 PM
  #2
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,165
vCash: 500
Well that would suck.. Everyone knows Sorel wants a team.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:23 PM
  #3
wingmanpei
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PEI, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 625
vCash: 500
Tonight on the Guardian website Savard says he doesn't know where these rumours come from and has been "battling rumors the team was moving for six years". I have a hard time believing that every single time he has no idea where and how these rumours come from and that he has had no part at all whatsoever in these rumours.

wingmanpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:23 PM
  #4
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Rumors like this every year ... I'll wait before I believe this one.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:59 AM
  #5
Mightygoose
I Am Groot
 
Mightygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ajax, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,336
vCash: 514
Was under the impression that the relocation deadline in the Q was Jan. 31.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:14 AM
  #6
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Was under the impression that the relocation deadline in the Q was Jan. 31.
It's a fluid deadline....Lewiston was bought by the league knowing that Sherbrooke would buy an expansion franchise.
My question is where would they move?
Trois-Rivieres is with-in another team's exclusion zone so unless they got $ to waive?
Fredericton has no desire from UNB that owns the rink to house a Q team. Trois-Rivieres has expressed interest in AHL once the new arena is built.
What are the options? St John's is happy with the AHL.
Relocate to where?
Is Sorel-Tracey's rink up to standards?

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:48 AM
  #7
rocketfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 322
vCash: 500
The rumors now say the Rocket will be sold to Sorel Tracey but I cant see it horrible timing if Savard did sell, The just put 4 new screens in the Civic Center that I am sure are not cheap plus they already ordered there jerseys and gloves and pants and helmets etc for next seasons PEI Islanders, Fans are starting to come back yesterday our announced crowd at the CCC was 3037 we have had 3 or 4 crowds of 22-2300 fans since xmas fans are starting to come back to sell now would be a kick in the nuts, just when this franchise is on the mend, I really cant see it happeneing not next yr anyways

rocketfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:02 AM
  #8
NBHockey
finish your checks
 
NBHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
It's a fluid deadline....Lewiston was bought by the league knowing that Sherbrooke would buy an expansion franchise.
My question is where would they move?
Trois-Rivieres is with-in another team's exclusion zone so unless they got $ to waive?
Fredericton has no desire from UNB that owns the rink to house a Q team. Trois-Rivieres has expressed interest in AHL once the new arena is built.
What are the options? St John's is happy with the AHL.
Relocate to where?
Is Sorel-Tracey's rink up to standards?
Not heard this in my circles but they do have a new rink the STU Tommies play in up there.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:11 AM
  #9
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
Not heard this in my circles but they do have a new rink the STU Tommies play in up there.
Grant-Harvey Centre is a beautiful facility 1 NHL rink and 1 Olympic with see-through boards at the benches for sledge hockey plus other fitness and wellness rooms/facilities.
But the main rink seats 1500 and Q minimum is 3500 seating unless grandfathered for existing teams

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:17 AM
  #10
rocketfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 322
vCash: 500
Does anybody actually think the Rocket/Islaners will be gone from Charlottetown next season?

rocketfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:29 AM
  #11
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketfan View Post
Does anybody actually think the Rocket/Islaners will be gone from Charlottetown next season?
Don't believe anything until it's done and the season starts.
How much did Verdun spend to renovate and with-in how many years were the Junior to become the Armada?
Is Verdun with-in BLB's protection zone by the way?

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:42 AM
  #12
NBHockey
finish your checks
 
NBHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Grant-Harvey Centre is a beautiful facility 1 NHL rink and 1 Olympic with see-through boards at the benches for sledge hockey plus other fitness and wellness rooms/facilities.
But the main rink seats 1500 and Q minimum is 3500 seating unless grandfathered for existing teams
Ah ok i didnt know it seated so few, shame really.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:59 PM
  #13
rocketfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 322
vCash: 500
I guess Sorel town officals approved of give money for upgrades to the arena to get a Q team back there for next fall not looking good for the Rocket

rocketfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:59 PM
  #14
Flyers12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Why not a move like in the ohl some years ago when the Majors moved from Toronto to Mississauga and the Ice Dogs from Mississauga to St. Catharine?

The Rocket would move to Sorel-Tracy and the Titan to Charlottetown or Summerside and take the name of Islanders?

Flyers12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:01 PM
  #15
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,165
vCash: 500
Why did the OHL do it that way lol ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:28 PM
  #16
Mightygoose
I Am Groot
 
Mightygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ajax, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,336
vCash: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Why did the OHL do it that way lol ?
Melnyk was looking for a new rink for the Majors got booted out of the gardens, couldn't get a lease at Ricoh or a new one anywhere else. Owner of the Ice dogs wanted out so Melnyk owned both teams for a few months until selling to St. Catherines hence the double move.

The O was able to kills two birds with one stone!

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:46 PM
  #17
chsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers12 View Post
Why not a move like in the ohl some years ago when the Majors moved from Toronto to Mississauga and the Ice Dogs from Mississauga to St. Catharine?

The Rocket would move to Sorel-Tracy and the Titan to Charlottetown or Summerside and take the name of Islanders?
Would moving to Summerside a team having survival troubles while Charlottetown is also having survival problems be a solution though?

I think that, in both Bathurst and PEI, a change of ownership would be the better solution....not a relocation.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:12 PM
  #18
rocketfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 322
vCash: 500
I think next year with the Rocket changing to the Islanders and if they have a decent team they will be ok attendance wise I really dont want to see the Rocket or Titan leave I really believe that Savard is telling the truth when he says the team is staying this year and I think the titan will be staying 2. Why do Quebec teams that lost these teams before keep trying to get them back we hear this every year about the Rocket and Titan and both r still in their cities so lets hope it stays the same I love watching Q hockey in Charlottetown and I love the Maritime division and hope it stays the same

rocketfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:56 PM
  #19
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Melnyk was looking for a new rink for the Majors got booted out of the gardens, couldn't get a lease at Ricoh or a new one anywhere else. Owner of the Ice dogs wanted out so Melnyk owned both teams for a few months until selling to St. Catherines hence the double move.

The O was able to kills two birds with one stone!
Oh okay, that makes a bit more sense.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:03 PM
  #20
wingmanpei
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PEI, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketfan View Post
I think next year with the Rocket changing to the Islanders and if they have a decent team they will be ok attendance wise I really dont want to see the Rocket or Titan leave I really believe that Savard is telling the truth when he says the team is staying this year and I think the titan will be staying 2. Why do Quebec teams that lost these teams before keep trying to get them back we hear this every year about the Rocket and Titan and both r still in their cities so lets hope it stays the same I love watching Q hockey in Charlottetown and I love the Maritime division and hope it stays the same
Question is if the Rocket will have a decent team next year as they will have alot of holes to fill.....Currie, Duffy, Micallef will be gone and possibly Beran and/or Pavelka, Vance, etc.

One reason why we hear PEI and Bathurst in re-location rumours is because of their low attendances, people putting 2 and 2 together. Who knows if there are any substance to these rumours but owners like Savard and LGM are not going to come out and say they are looking/considering the possibility of selling or moving, which is why I usually take what they say with a grain of salt. Savard seems to get frustrated in dealing with these rumours but really it is of his own doing with the way he has run the team and the resulting consequences. Just my gut feeling but I wouldn't be surprised if he has at the least been kicking a few tires or entertaining a few phone calls from interested parties looking to buy.

wingmanpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:17 PM
  #21
rocketfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 322
vCash: 500
Wingman yeah he would be stupid if he wasnt listening to offers I think Q hockey could actually do good in Charlottetown if we actually had a championship contending team sometime

rocketfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:55 AM
  #22
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!
 
Taoiseach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketfan View Post
Wingman yeah he would be stupid if he wasnt listening to offers I think Q hockey could actually do good in Charlottetown if we actually had a championship contending team sometime
QMJHL hockey would do well in Miramichi if they had a championship calibre team... PEI's day will come, but only if people support the team well enough for it to make sense to keep it there long enough. If they consistently draw flies like Bathurst does when the team isn't a contender, you may well lose the team eventually.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:58 AM
  #23
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,165
vCash: 500
PEI and Bathrust haven't been relevant for a while, once they become powerhouses the bandwagoners will come back.

Unfortunately, there aren't many die hard fans around these days.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:06 AM
  #24
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!
 
Taoiseach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
PEI and Bathrust haven't been relevant for a while, once they become powerhouses the bandwagoners will come back.

Unfortunately, there aren't many die hard fans around these days.
That's true of everyone though.

It's the old Montréal Expos 'We'd still have our team if we'd have won the World Series' nonsense. It's probably true, but it's no excuse.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:10 AM
  #25
rocketfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 322
vCash: 500
I have been a season ticket holder since yr 1 and will continue to be until they lock the doors, And truthfully I dont think the team will be leaving this year I also think the Islander name will help draw a little but if the team doesent win they will stop supporting the Islanders too, but I dont think we lose the team for next yr

rocketfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.