HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2012-2013 College Hockey Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-17-2013, 06:20 PM
  #626
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!
 
Digitalbooya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 2,548
vCash: 3385
Refs putting away their whistles for the second half of the third

Digitalbooya is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 06:35 PM
  #627
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!
 
Digitalbooya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 2,548
vCash: 3385
BADGERS WIN!!!

Digitalbooya is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 09:23 PM
  #628
Sportsfan1
Registered User
 
Sportsfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
BADgers had ugly ice, and the ugly game equaled the playing field and the Gophers and Wilcox did not respond well after their 2nd bad bounce lucky goal and that killed them with the game winner. I like how they respond still when they are down in the 3rd again, but this team still has trouble sweeping series and putting together win streaks right now and although I'm not panicked as a Gopher fan. This team absolutely needs to put together wins starting this next weekend and heading into the WCHA playoffs let alone any other tournament if they have any hope to get the National Championship game.

Sportsfan1 is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 11:55 PM
  #629
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!
 
Digitalbooya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 2,548
vCash: 3385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
BADgers had ugly ice, and the ugly game equaled the playing field and the Gophers and Wilcox did not respond well after their 2nd bad bounce lucky goal and that killed them with the game winner. I like how they respond still when they are down in the 3rd again, but this team still has trouble sweeping series and putting together win streaks right now and although I'm not panicked as a Gopher fan. This team absolutely needs to put together wins starting this next weekend and heading into the WCHA playoffs let alone any other tournament if they have any hope to get the National Championship game.
How'd I know that was going to be said? When are people going to realize Wisco is better than their record says? I feel like Wisconsin plays great 5v5 but when they give other teams PP chances then they are toast, especially considering their PP needs

Digitalbooya is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 02:26 AM
  #630
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,088
vCash: 500
Just got home a few hours ago, sooooo wiped out but what a fun weekend.

Got to most of the things on my food checklist: Gino's East deep dish pizza, Portillo's Italian beef sandwiches, Gold Coast Dogs etc.

We watched the Friday game at a bar in Wrigleyville that was doing $20 all you can drink and eat and there were a good amount of Gopher fans there. The Gophs definitely had the biggest fanbase there of any of the 4 teams that were playing. We were seeing Minnesotans all over the place all weekend.

As far as today's game goes, the ice looked terrible which fit Wisconsin's style of play much better. I thought they went in with a better game plan and the Gophs didn't figure out how to play on that surface until it was too late.

The fact that they lost was unfortunate but it was still a fun experience. It got really cold when the sun went down and the crowd thinned out significantly. That left just the die-hards and the drunks in the 3rd which made for a fun atmosphere.

Jaykay is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 02:21 PM
  #631
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!
 
Digitalbooya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 2,548
vCash: 3385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Just got home a few hours ago, sooooo wiped out but what a fun weekend.

Got to most of the things on my food checklist: Gino's East deep dish pizza, Portillo's Italian beef sandwiches, Gold Coast Dogs etc.

We watched the Friday game at a bar in Wrigleyville that was doing $20 all you can drink and eat and there were a good amount of Gopher fans there. The Gophs definitely had the biggest fanbase there of any of the 4 teams that were playing. We were seeing Minnesotans all over the place all weekend.

As far as today's game goes, the ice looked terrible which fit Wisconsin's style of play much better. I thought they went in with a better game plan and the Gophs didn't figure out how to play on that surface until it was too late.

The fact that they lost was unfortunate but it was still a fun experience. It got really cold when the sun went down and the crowd thinned out significantly. That left just the die-hards and the drunks in the 3rd which made for a fun atmosphere.
Four outdoor games in the last seven or so years will do that. Eaves has been there and done that even on a championship level.
Lambeau: Badgers 4-2
Camp Randall: Badgers 3-2
2010 Frozen Four: Badgers 8-1 over RIT and a 5-0 loss to BC

I don't remember Minny being in any outdoor games in recent memory.

Digitalbooya is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 02:30 PM
  #632
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,559
vCash: 500
Outdoor games may look cool, I guess, but they ALWAYS make for some ****** hockey.

__________________

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 03:07 PM
  #633
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Have to say I was disappointed it was at Soldier Field considering both Target Field and TCF are two of the best stadiums in the country at this time.

I guess they needed a neutral enough site though for all the four teams.

651* is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 07:07 AM
  #634
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!
 
Digitalbooya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 2,548
vCash: 3385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Just got home a few hours ago, sooooo wiped out but what a fun weekend.

Got to most of the things on my food checklist: Gino's East deep dish pizza, Portillo's Italian beef sandwiches, Gold Coast Dogs etc.

We watched the Friday game at a bar in Wrigleyville that was doing $20 all you can drink and eat and there were a good amount of Gopher fans there. The Gophs definitely had the biggest fanbase there of any of the 4 teams that were playing. We were seeing Minnesotans all over the place all weekend.

As far as today's game goes, the ice looked terrible which fit Wisconsin's style of play much better. I thought they went in with a better game plan and the Gophs didn't figure out how to play on that surface until it was too late.

The fact that they lost was unfortunate but it was still a fun experience. It got really cold when the sun went down and the crowd thinned out significantly. That left just the die-hards and the drunks in the 3rd which made for a fun atmosphere.
Badger fans probably stayed in Madison to go to the Ohio St. game at the Kohl Center. Or did as I did and watched the bball game and then watched the hockey game back-to-back. I wish Wisco fans were as dedicated to hockey as they are dedicated to basketball


Last edited by Digitalbooya: 02-19-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Digitalbooya is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 07:50 AM
  #635
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,939
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
Have to say I was disappointed it was at Soldier Field considering both Target Field and TCF are two of the best stadiums in the country at this time.

I guess they needed a neutral enough site though for all the four teams.
It was a "home" game for Wisconsin. No way in hell they were going to allow that game to be played in Minneapolis.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now  
Old
02-19-2013, 09:05 AM
  #636
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!
 
Digitalbooya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 2,548
vCash: 3385
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
It was a "home" game for Wisconsin. No way in hell they were going to allow that game to be played in Minneapolis.
Exactly. I really wish UW hadn't given up a game at the Kohl Center though.


Last edited by Digitalbooya: 02-19-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Digitalbooya is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 11:47 AM
  #637
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Just got home a few hours ago, sooooo wiped out but what a fun weekend.

Got to most of the things on my food checklist: Gino's East deep dish pizza, Portillo's Italian beef sandwiches, Gold Coast Dogs etc.

We watched the Friday game at a bar in Wrigleyville that was doing $20 all you can drink and eat and there were a good amount of Gopher fans there. The Gophs definitely had the biggest fanbase there of any of the 4 teams that were playing. We were seeing Minnesotans all over the place all weekend.

As far as today's game goes, the ice looked terrible which fit Wisconsin's style of play much better. I thought they went in with a better game plan and the Gophs didn't figure out how to play on that surface until it was too late.

The fact that they lost was unfortunate but it was still a fun experience. It got really cold when the sun went down and the crowd thinned out significantly. That left just the die-hards and the drunks in the 3rd which made for a fun atmosphere.
Agree with pretty much everything. I had a blast at Soldier Field despite the loss. Game-wise the biggest key was Rumpel holding his own in a first period dominated by Minnesota in every aspect besides the score. That changed in the second and became more of a shinny game which benefited Wisconsin before the Gophers had another "too little, too late" comeback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalbooya View Post
Four outdoor games in the last seven or so years will do that. Eaves has been there and done that even on a championship level.
Lambeau: Badgers 4-2
Camp Randall: Badgers 3-2
2010 Frozen Four: Badgers 8-1 over RIT and a 5-0 loss to BC

I don't remember Minny being in any outdoor games in recent memory.
It's hard to count the 2010 Frozen Four as an outdoor game because there was nothing outdoor about it. Ford Field has a fixed roof. It was a stadium game, just not an outdoor one.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 12:43 PM
  #638
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!
 
Digitalbooya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 2,548
vCash: 3385
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState
It's hard to count the 2010 Frozen Four as an outdoor game because there was nothing outdoor about it. Ford Field has a fixed roof. It was a stadium game, just not an outdoor one.
Oh yeah. I had forgotten about that. Hopefully they don't ever do a stadium/outdoor Frozen Four. It wasn't very appealing (to me at least).

Digitalbooya is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 12:48 PM
  #639
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!
 
Digitalbooya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 2,548
vCash: 3385
Also can someone explain to me how the Badgers dropped to #27 in the Pairwise after splitting with the Gophers?

Digitalbooya is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 04:17 PM
  #640
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,978
vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalbooya View Post
Also can someone explain to me how the Badgers dropped to #27 in the Pairwise after splitting with the Gophers?
Pairwise is sometimes inexplicable.

Victorious Secret is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 08:51 PM
  #641
Sportsfan1
Registered User
 
Sportsfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalbooya View Post
Also can someone explain to me how the Badgers dropped to #27 in the Pairwise after splitting with the Gophers?
Don't look at me, I have no idea how the pairwise works sometimes either.

Sportsfan1 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 10:24 PM
  #642
Wild48
Our Savior
 
Wild48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Duluth
Country: United States
Posts: 1,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalbooya View Post
Also can someone explain to me how the Badgers dropped to #27 in the Pairwise after splitting with the Gophers?
Because beating the gophers in a slop-fest of a game isn't all that impressive to voters?

Call me a homer all you want but that outdoor game was absolutely meaningless.

Wild48 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 07:27 AM
  #643
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!
 
Digitalbooya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 2,548
vCash: 3385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
Because beating the gophers in a slop-fest of a game isn't all that impressive to voters?

Call me a homer all you want but that outdoor game was absolutely meaningless.
So this was basically a one game series due to the fact that the second game was outdoors? Awesome. Just awesome. Totally worthy of dropping 7-8 spots despite a close loss and a close (meaningless) win

Digitalbooya is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 08:18 AM
  #644
mnhowitzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalbooya View Post
Also can someone explain to me how the Badgers dropped to #27 in the Pairwise after splitting with the Gophers?
Sometimes it's not about who you beat, but who you lost to earlier in the year and who they happened to beat on that weekend....or something like that.

mnhowitzer is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 01:27 PM
  #645
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
Because beating the gophers in a slop-fest of a game isn't all that impressive to voters?

Call me a homer all you want but that outdoor game was absolutely meaningless.
There are no voters in the Pairwise. It's all math.

And like mnhowitzer said below, it's not always about who you beat. Yes the Badgers defeated Minnesota outdoors but they still finished the series 1-2-1. They have a disappointing non-conference record. I don't know which factor pushed them down (either a new team under consideration came up or UW hit 10 games against TUCs) so we'll see what it is soon.

GopherState is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 02:04 PM
  #646
mnhowitzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 639
vCash: 500
I saw a tweet from @chnews (I believe) from this weekend that stated had the Badgers earned 1 win in their first series vs NMU, they'd be sitting at # 15 and with 2 wins they'd be at #9. They are at 27 so you can see the importance of OOC in this scenario.

mnhowitzer is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 09:20 PM
  #647
Sportsfan1
Registered User
 
Sportsfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
All I care about is my team is sitting pretty in the pairwise.

Sportsfan1 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 08:18 PM
  #648
Granlund 64
Registered User
 
Granlund 64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stillwater, MN
Country:
Posts: 854
vCash: 500
Gophers up 2-0 after Wild prospect Erik Haula finds himself a shorty.

Granlund 64 is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 04:43 PM
  #649
Rabid Husky
Registered User
 
Rabid Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,936
vCash: 643
4 games to go. It's within reach.

Rabid Husky is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 05:45 PM
  #650
Sportsfan1
Registered User
 
Sportsfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
Gophers do just enough to keep from me from the level of panic. The refs were absolutely atrocious yesterday and McNeely was great, otherwise it should have been a sweep for the Gophers. Still not enough consistency in their game though, and they must find it these last four games and into the playoffs where the real important trophies await.

Sportsfan1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.