Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

vCash: 3385
BADGERS WIN!!!

Old
02-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Sportsfan1

vCash: 500
BADgers had ugly ice, and the ugly game equaled the playing field and the Gophers and Wilcox did not respond well after their 2nd bad bounce lucky goal and that killed them with the game winner. I like how they respond still when they are down in the 3rd again, but this team still has trouble sweeping series and putting together win streaks right now and although I'm not panicked as a Gopher fan. This team absolutely needs to put together wins starting this next weekend and heading into the WCHA playoffs let alone any other tournament if they have any hope to get the National Championship game.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
BADgers had ugly ice, and the ugly game equaled the playing field and the Gophers and Wilcox did not respond well after their 2nd bad bounce lucky goal and that killed them with the game winner. I like how they respond still when they are down in the 3rd again, but this team still has trouble sweeping series and putting together win streaks right now and although I'm not panicked as a Gopher fan. This team absolutely needs to put together wins starting this next weekend and heading into the WCHA playoffs let alone any other tournament if they have any hope to get the National Championship game.
How'd I know that was going to be said? When are people going to realize Wisco is better than their record says? I feel like Wisconsin plays great 5v5 but when they give other teams PP chances then they are toast, especially considering their PP needs

Old
02-18-2013, 02:26 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Just got home a few hours ago, sooooo wiped out but what a fun weekend.

Got to most of the things on my food checklist: Gino's East deep dish pizza, Portillo's Italian beef sandwiches, Gold Coast Dogs etc.

We watched the Friday game at a bar in Wrigleyville that was doing $20 all you can drink and eat and there were a good amount of Gopher fans there. The Gophs definitely had the biggest fanbase there of any of the 4 teams that were playing. We were seeing Minnesotans all over the place all weekend.

As far as today's game goes, the ice looked terrible which fit Wisconsin's style of play much better. I thought they went in with a better game plan and the Gophs didn't figure out how to play on that surface until it was too late.

The fact that they lost was unfortunate but it was still a fun experience. It got really cold when the sun went down and the crowd thinned out significantly. That left just the die-hards and the drunks in the 3rd which made for a fun atmosphere.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post

Got to most of the things on my food checklist: Gino's East deep dish pizza, Portillo's Italian beef sandwiches, Gold Coast Dogs etc.

We watched the Friday game at a bar in Wrigleyville that was doing $20 all you can drink and eat and there were a good amount of Gopher fans there. The Gophs definitely had the biggest fanbase there of any of the 4 teams that were playing. We were seeing Minnesotans all over the place all weekend.

As far as today's game goes, the ice looked terrible which fit Wisconsin's style of play much better. I thought they went in with a better game plan and the Gophs didn't figure out how to play on that surface until it was too late.

The fact that they lost was unfortunate but it was still a fun experience. It got really cold when the sun went down and the crowd thinned out significantly. That left just the die-hards and the drunks in the 3rd which made for a fun atmosphere.
Four outdoor games in the last seven or so years will do that. Eaves has been there and done that even on a championship level.
Lambeau: Badgers 4-2
Camp Randall: Badgers 3-2
2010 Frozen Four: Badgers 8-1 over RIT and a 5-0 loss to BC

I don't remember Minny being in any outdoor games in recent memory.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:30 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Outdoor games may look cool, I guess, but they ALWAYS make for some ****** hockey.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
02-18-2013, 03:07 PM
651*

Have to say I was disappointed it was at Soldier Field considering both Target Field and TCF are two of the best stadiums in the country at this time.

I guess they needed a neutral enough site though for all the four teams.

Old
02-19-2013, 07:07 AM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Quote:

Badger fans probably stayed in Madison to go to the Ohio St. game at the Kohl Center. Or did as I did and watched the bball game and then watched the hockey game back-to-back. I wish Wisco fans were as dedicated to hockey as they are dedicated to basketball

Last edited by Digitalbooya: 02-19-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old
02-19-2013, 07:50 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
Have to say I was disappointed it was at Soldier Field considering both Target Field and TCF are two of the best stadiums in the country at this time.

I guess they needed a neutral enough site though for all the four teams.
It was a "home" game for Wisconsin. No way in hell they were going to allow that game to be played in Minneapolis.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
It was a "home" game for Wisconsin. No way in hell they were going to allow that game to be played in Minneapolis.
Exactly. I really wish UW hadn't given up a game at the Kohl Center though.

Last edited by Digitalbooya: 02-19-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old
02-19-2013, 11:47 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

Agree with pretty much everything. I had a blast at Soldier Field despite the loss. Game-wise the biggest key was Rumpel holding his own in a first period dominated by Minnesota in every aspect besides the score. That changed in the second and became more of a shinny game which benefited Wisconsin before the Gophers had another "too little, too late" comeback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalbooya View Post
Four outdoor games in the last seven or so years will do that. Eaves has been there and done that even on a championship level.
Lambeau: Badgers 4-2
Camp Randall: Badgers 3-2
2010 Frozen Four: Badgers 8-1 over RIT and a 5-0 loss to BC

I don't remember Minny being in any outdoor games in recent memory.
It's hard to count the 2010 Frozen Four as an outdoor game because there was nothing outdoor about it. Ford Field has a fixed roof. It was a stadium game, just not an outdoor one.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
02-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState
It's hard to count the 2010 Frozen Four as an outdoor game because there was nothing outdoor about it. Ford Field has a fixed roof. It was a stadium game, just not an outdoor one.
Oh yeah. I had forgotten about that. Hopefully they don't ever do a stadium/outdoor Frozen Four. It wasn't very appealing (to me at least).

Old
02-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Also can someone explain to me how the Badgers dropped to #27 in the Pairwise after splitting with the Gophers?

Old
02-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Also can someone explain to me how the Badgers dropped to #27 in the Pairwise after splitting with the Gophers?
Pairwise is sometimes inexplicable.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Sportsfan1

Quote:
Don't look at me, I have no idea how the pairwise works sometimes either.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Because beating the gophers in a slop-fest of a game isn't all that impressive to voters?

Call me a homer all you want but that outdoor game was absolutely meaningless.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
Because beating the gophers in a slop-fest of a game isn't all that impressive to voters?

So this was basically a one game series due to the fact that the second game was outdoors? Awesome. Just awesome. Totally worthy of dropping 7-8 spots despite a close loss and a close (meaningless) win

Old
02-20-2013, 08:18 AM
mnhowitzer

Quote:
Sometimes it's not about who you beat, but who you lost to earlier in the year and who they happened to beat on that weekend....or something like that.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:27 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post

There are no voters in the Pairwise. It's all math.

And like mnhowitzer said below, it's not always about who you beat. Yes the Badgers defeated Minnesota outdoors but they still finished the series 1-2-1. They have a disappointing non-conference record. I don't know which factor pushed them down (either a new team under consideration came up or UW hit 10 games against TUCs) so we'll see what it is soon.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:04 PM
mnhowitzer

I saw a tweet from @chnews (I believe) from this weekend that stated had the Badgers earned 1 win in their first series vs NMU, they'd be sitting at # 15 and with 2 wins they'd be at #9. They are at 27 so you can see the importance of OOC in this scenario.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Sportsfan1

All I care about is my team is sitting pretty in the pairwise.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Granlund 64

Gophers up 2-0 after Wild prospect Erik Haula finds himself a shorty.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
4 games to go. It's within reach.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Sportsfan1

Gophers do just enough to keep from me from the level of panic. The refs were absolutely atrocious yesterday and McNeely was great, otherwise it should have been a sweep for the Gophers. Still not enough consistency in their game though, and they must find it these last four games and into the playoffs where the real important trophies await.

Closed Thread