HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Washington proposals (Laich)

Old
02-17-2013, 07:59 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

vCash: 500
Washington proposals (Laich)

First of all, I want to say that Brooks Laich is my favourite player of all who have ever worn the Caps jersey. So I'm more than a little biased.
Second, this proposals are more about offseason and not deadline because I'd like to see more of Eric Fehr to see if he sticks with the Caps.

The rationale behind the proposals is:
If we go with three scoring lines, then it's pretty clear that you don't have more than 4 "grinder spots" in that top-9 and we have Fehr, Ward, Brouwer and Chimera who do that job well. Of all mentioned, Laich's value is the highest (except for maybe Brouwer, but Laich's older and is paid more.
If we go with two, then Beagle does the job perfectly as a third line center, he's been great lately. And then I don't see where Laich fits. Even though I am, as I said, a big fan of his. Playing him in a 4th line role would be a disrespect to such a great player like him. Playing Beagle there would be an even bigger disrespect to the progress he made since cracking Caps line-up full time.

So, the idea is to trade Brooks Laich for a FO-winning/defensive-minded #4C on a cheap contract (preferrably not expiring soon) and a first-round pick. Additional piece from the Caps side, like a fourth-round pick or some C-rated prospect (or both I think) could be added.

I do not know if these teams need a third-line center. If yours does, post what you have to offer.

Among fourth line centers I liked:
McCormick
Dowell
R.Carter
Fraser
Campbell
Abdelkader

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:39 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Trading Laich would be a disaster...

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:43 PM
KingCanadain1976

what would u offer for fraser ?

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris

If JT Miller doesn't stick in the NHL how about Skjei/McIlrath + Boyle? And we give you a 3rd to keep 33% salary?

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:49 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

vCash: 50
In a package for Luongo/Schneider

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:18 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
In a package for Luongo/Schneider
Holtby was fantastic tonight and has been solid the last 4-5 games. The Caps need a veteran goalie but not someone with Lou's contract.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:20 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
If JT Miller doesn't stick in the NHL how about Skjei/McIlrath + Boyle? And we give you a 3rd to keep 33% salary?
Forgot to mention in OP that retaining salary is not an option because we have many players requiring raises next summer. Would you rather part with Skjei or McIlrath than first-round pick? I've heard they're bad but are they really that bad?

Old
02-18-2013, 08:25 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Trading Laich would be a disaster...
Do you have problems with how our bottom-6 plays right now? I don't. It's doing great. PK could get better, but it's more of defensemen problem. Hendricks/Beagle, Brouwer/Backstrom, Crabb/Ward do pretty well.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:06 AM
OCPenguin

If I were Washington, I'd hold onto Laich. His absence is a big reason why the team has struggled out of the gate. Yes, new coach and not too much time to get the system in place is another major reason, but which what Laich brings to the table, he could have turned around a few of those one-goal losses into ties or even wins. Keep him. Good solid players like him you don't discard.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote