HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Draft Thread: Not Winnin' For #(??)...

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Hockey Prospect came out with their updated rankings, too:

1) Nathan MacKinnon
2) Seth Jones
3) Jonathan Drouin
4) Valery Nicushkin
5) Sasha Barkov
6) Elias Lindholm
7) Sean Monahan
8) Josh Morrissey (D)
9) Hunter Shinkaruk (C)
10) Rasmus Ristolainen
11) Darnell Nurse
12) Madison Bowey (D)
13) Nikita Zadorov
14) Adam Erne
15) Max Domi

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2013-n...draft-rankings

Old
02-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Hockey Prospect came out with their updated rankings, too:

1) Nathan MacKinnon
2) Seth Jones
3) Jonathan Drouin
4) Valery Nicushkin
5) Sasha Barkov
6) Elias Lindholm
7) Sean Monahan
8) Josh Morrissey (D)
9) Hunter Shinkaruk (C)
10) Rasmus Ristolainen
11) Darnell Nurse
12) Madison Bowey (D)
13) Nikita Zadorov
14) Adam Erne
15) Max Domi

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2013-n...draft-rankings
Zadarov and Erne are right in our wheelhouse

Old
02-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
JFB and Woodhouse, what do you guys make of these new rankings? Why the falls for Barkov, Monahan and Lindholm? Were the rises for Nurse and Zadorov warranted? Do you picture a situation where those two defensemen go that high?

Also, I just realized Jones is 11 months older than MacKinnon. MacKinnon is 15 days away from being a 2014-eligible player. Young kid.
Meh, I chuckled when I read Nichushkin at #2. To me, that ranking would be based more on "tools" rather than play, as his speed, size and hands combo is tantalizing, but he's very individualistic in his efforts and I'd question his IQ. I haven't seen any of him in the last few weeks though. It also could be Canadians giving the kid a bump since he beat Murphy-Rielly-Subban to win WJC bronze. :tongue-in-cheek:

The only knock on Barkov is his average skating, but he's younger than MacKinnon and already a second-year pro in Finland where his production speaks for itself. Monahan is stuck on a rebuild in Ottawa, so his numbers and play can be a bit deceiving, while Lindholm is a two-way playmaker that skates hard, who probably could produce more points if we're nitpicking his season too. I see no reason to downgrade any of the three in favor of Nichushkin, Zadorov or Nurse, and I say that especially liking what Zadorov brings to the table -- size, physicality, shutdown defense.

I also think that Pulock, Shinkaruk and Erne will all provide good value if they're outside the top-ten.

Last edited by Woodhouse: 02-15-2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Typo
Old
02-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

I have to admit I know nothing about most of these players other than their scouting reports, who do you guys see us picking if we pick 4-6? Assuming the top 3 are off the board.

Valeri Nichushkin sounds interesting, a big winger that will get into the dirty areas..the perfect Russian winger for Grigorenko? ISS rankings actually have him at #2 but I think the Russian factor would probably drop him a bit come draft time.

I know us picking that high is unlikely though. This is really the perfect season to tank, the season is flying by and the draft seems really strong.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:40 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
I have to admit I know nothing about most of these players other than their scouting reports, who do you guys see us picking if we pick 4-6? Assuming the top 3 are off the board.

Valeri Nichushkin sounds interesting, a big winger that will get into the dirty areas..the perfect Russian winger for Grigorenko? ISS rankings actually have him at #2 but I think the Russian factor would probably drop him a bit come draft time.

I know us picking that high is unlikely though. This is really the perfect season to tank, the season is flying by and the draft seems really strong.
I wouldn't even take Nichushkin at 4, for reasons already outlined + the fact that, as far as I know, there has been no indication of if or when he would come to NA. Barkov and Monahan would be my top 2 choices in that range (at least one of them is guaranteed to be there, maybe even both if Drouin goes 3rd).

Old
02-15-2013, 01:56 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Grab him and reunite him with Grigs eventually
I think I want us to take another top end forward high in this draft...aside from Armia we have no top 6 talent in the pipeline (not saying girgs couldn't make the top 6, but we definitely need an influx of talent)

Old
02-15-2013, 04:40 PM
jfb392

Quote:
JFB and Woodhouse, what do you guys make of these new rankings? Why the falls for Barkov, Monahan and Lindholm? Were the rises for Nurse and Zadorov warranted? Do you picture a situation where those two defensemen go that high?
I think it's pretty sad what has become of ISS since they've been sold twice over the past couple years.
First a hockey dad used it to pimp his own son and sold it off and now it's just plain terrible.
You know it's bad when I corrected their Director of Scouting last year when he claimed a Q player was falling because he couldn't make the lineup anymore, when in reality he was injured for months..

As for specific player movement, Woodhouse pretty much said everything I'd probably say.
My attention paid to leagues besides the Q this year has been lacking though, so I can't really argue against some of it, but I just don't see what Barkov, Lindholm, and Monahan have done to be passed by three players I question.
I suspect they're infatuated by the physical gifts of Nurse and Zadorov, whereas I care more about intelligence.
I've already made my dislike for Nichushkin known so I won't go on about him again, but it's hilarious that they likely did this based on a four game tournament.
Call it getting "Tyler Biggs'd", if you will (some bumped him up into 5th or 6th after one of the smaller Euro tournaments in 2011, then he fell back down to Earth after he was no longer flavor of the month).

Quote:
Also, I just realized Jones is 11 months older than MacKinnon. MacKinnon is 15 days away from being a 2014-eligible player. Young kid.
Same goes for Barkov.

Just one of the many factors, albeit a lesser one, that makes me prefer MacKinnon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I wouldn't even take Nichushkin at 4, for reasons already outlined + the fact that, as far as I know, there has been no indication of if or when he would come to NA.
His contract last until 2015.
Ignoring all of the other factors, is any team in the top ten going to take the risk of drafting a player they are basically guaranteed to not see for at least two seasons?
Not likely.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Forgot about Erne. Wouldn't mind him at all.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:08 AM
sabresEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Meh, I chuckled when I read Nichushkin at #2. To me, that ranking would be based more on "tools" rather than play, as his speed, size and hands combo is tantalizing, but he's very individualistic in his efforts and I'd question his IQ. I haven't seen any of him in the last few weeks though. It also could be Canadians giving the kid a bump since he beat Murphy-Rielly-Subban to win WJC bronze. :tongue-in-cheek:

The only knock on Barkov is his average skating, but he's younger than MacKinnon and already a second-year pro in Finland where his production speaks for itself. Monahan is stuck on a rebuild in Ottawa, so his numbers and play can be a bit deceiving, while Lindholm is a two-way playmaker that skates hard, who probably could produce more points if we're nitpicking his season too. I see no reason to downgrade any of the three in favor of Nichushkin, Zadorov or Nurse, and I say that especially liking what Zadorov brings to the table -- size, physicality, shutdown defense.

I also think that Pulock, Shinkaruk and Erne will all provide good value if they're outside the top-ten.
The bolded is what I saw. Potential. He's the player in this draft that 5 years down the road everyone will either go, how the *u*k did we pass on him, or more likely, good thing we passed on him. My Nichuskin suggestion only came from watching the beyond blue and gold where Terry says he wants to see management take more risks. IMO he has one of the biggest upsides in the draft. But may have the least chance of reaching his potential of all first rounders. If we can pick up an extra second. Definitely do it.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Slay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Ignoring all of the other factors, is any team in the top ten going to take the risk of drafting a player they are basically guaranteed to not see for at least two seasons?
Not likely.
So Grigorenko is with the Sabres but hardly useful. Armia still didn't come over. Point is there is no point to rush things. These players are still coming over (yes, even Kuznetsov). Nichushkin didn't play enough hockey (as most Russians at his age) to rush to the NHL.

Nichushkin at #2 is little crazy though as he is not as proven as other top players in the draft but I would consider him within top 10 picks and certainly within top 10 forwards.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:22 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay View Post
So Grigorenko is with the Sabres but hardly useful. Armia still didn't come over. Point is there is no point to rush things. These players are still coming over (yes, even Kuznetsov). Nichushkin didn't play enough hockey (as most Russians at his age) to rush to the NHL.

Nichushkin at #2 is little crazy though as he is not as proven as other top players in the draft but I would consider him within top 10 picks and certainly within top 10 forwards.
No, there's no point in rushing things, but teams that pick in the top ten usually want a combination of future potential and readiness that will allow them to contribute in the not too distant future.
Other Europeans aren't a risk because there are transfer agreements in place, but with any player with a KHL contract, things are in limbo until the player actually puts pen to paper on his NHL ELC.
There's too much risk there.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Not likely.
Quote:
No, there's no point in rushing things, but teams that pick in the top ten usually want a combination of future potential and readiness that will allow them to contribute in the not too distant future.
Other Europeans aren't a risk because there are transfer agreements in place, but with any player with a KHL contract, things are in limbo until the player actually puts pen to paper on his NHL ELC.
There's too much risk there.
If you're drafting someone in the top-five, okay, I'd like to see them by 2014-15, but after those picks, I'm more or less expecting 2+ years of development somewhere for those prospects in general, so I don't really see the KHL contract as a problem unless he signs an extension or expresses little interest in the NHL. These are things you obviously suss out in your scouting interviews and until they're known, no need to punish the player in the rankings for being Russian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresEH View Post
The bolded is what I saw. Potential. He's the player in this draft that 5 years down the road everyone will either go, how the *u*k did we pass on him, or more likely, good thing we passed on him. My Nichuskin suggestion only came from watching the beyond blue and gold where Terry says he wants to see management take more risks. IMO he has one of the biggest upsides in the draft. But may have the least chance of reaching his potential of all first rounders. If we can pick up an extra second. Definitely do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay View Post

You can see flashes of Nichushkin's upside through his skating no doubt, but are also forced to make your judgments based on his limited ice. He's getting maybe ten minutes per game at Traktor, which parallels to Grigorenko's time here with us. Nichushkin does see more TOI in VHL and international play, but I didn't watch the latest U18 5-Nations tourney, where he apparently dominated his peers and bumped himself up the latest rankings.

What I'd like to see more of from Nichushkin are more shots and cross-zone passes that come from attacking the middle of the ice. From what I've seen of him and what most highlights will show, he normally goes the perimeter route around guys on his off-wing and then cuts hard to the net. His feet will only create so much for him in the NHL, so if and when he starts making those other plays more consistently, he'll be a handful to stop. As of right now though, the defense will continue to give him the outside and possession on his backhand, with the only true worry being that he'll beat you to the goalmouth if he has the speed/balance to get around you and your check. Hence, why I had the previous IQ question mark in my limited viewings, as I'd like to see him recognize that he could be making more of those other plays to become more dynamic.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:41 PM
jfb392

Quote:
If you're drafting someone in the top-five, okay, I'd like to see them by 2014-15, but after those picks, I'm more or less expecting 2+ years of development somewhere for those prospects in general, so I don't really see the KHL contract as a problem unless he signs an extension or expresses little interest in the NHL. These are things you obviously suss out in your scouting interviews and until they're known, no need to punish the player in the rankings for being Russian.
It's not just two years, it's two years at least before you even have a shot at getting them into your organization.
It's not really penalizing a player for being a certain nationality, it's penalizing them for increased risk that they end up as no more impact on your organization than being listed under your draft history in the record books because of their transfer situation.

If they're a good player and you're a playoff team, sure, that's a good risk to take.
If you're a team that misses the playoffs, then it's probably not a risk you want to take unless the quality of player is can't miss, especially with the strength at the top this year.

One thing I will penalize for based on nationality though is if they're a mediocre player (what I feel Nichushkin is, along with Yakimov who is hyped despite being brutal).
I don't care if they're there at 210 because the number of non-star Russians dwindles every year with the presence of options that they are more comfortable with.

Last edited by jfb392: 02-16-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Scout sighting in the MSHSL, as Eden Prairie defeated Edina 3-1:
Quote:
Dan Shrader ‏@ShraderD
So far Buffalo and Minnesota are here to watch Connor Hurley, Mason Bergh, and a cast of others in a little matinee action.

Link: https://twitter.com/ShraderD/status/302883986592653313
FWIW Edina featured Connor Hurley (1 G), while Eden Prairie featured Mason Bergh (1 G) and Luc Snuggerud (2 A), son of Dave.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:

Also, ISS head scout Ross MacLean answered some of these questions in his TPS segment yesterday. [LINK]

Old
02-17-2013, 08:45 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Also, ISS head scout Ross MacLean answered some of these questions in his TPS segment yesterday. [LINK]
Wow, he just makes himself sound like an idiot.

Nichushkin goes to the Five Nations and dominates "against top players", yet none of the other players in the top ten even played in it.
Sounds like out of sight, out of mind.
He moved past Drouin/MacKinnon because of "questions in their games", yet there's no questions with his game?

Turned it off after "Nurse could go at #2".

Old
02-17-2013, 09:57 PM

Don't know if anyone has seen these before but some head scouts (including Devine) give their thoughts on Sean Monahan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEI0mV0TmQ8

Devine on Grigorenko during camp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rncdc...8CJ1LlZE8EgR0A

Scouts on Drouin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB8wt...EgR0A&index=10

Last edited by 1972: 02-17-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old
02-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Another individualistic effort () from Nichushkin in his KHL return on Sunday:

Old
02-18-2013, 11:55 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/0...=Google+Reader

Barkov put it in reverse for this sweet shootout goal.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Don't know if anyone has seen these before but some head scouts (including Devine) give their thoughts on Sean Monahan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEI0mV0TmQ8

Devine on Grigorenko during camp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rncdc...8CJ1LlZE8EgR0A

Scouts on Drouin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB8wt...EgR0A&index=10
Second link is actually the CHL Top Prospects post-game interviews.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:35 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Who are the best goalies coming out this year?

Old
02-18-2013, 12:51 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Here is one look at the top goalies in the draft:

Quote:
With Nate MacKinnon and Seth Jones leading a very deep and talented prospect crop, the 2013 NHL Entry Draft should be very exciting this year when it comes to available skaters. There has been a lot less hype about the goaltending in this draft, but like every year there seems to be a few diamonds in the rough. For those looking for the next Marc-Andre Fleury to emerge as an 18-year-old, I don't believe this is the draft for you, but here is a look at my top five netminding prospects, all of whome have a good chance to wear an NHL jersey someday.

1) Zach Fucale, Halifax (QMJHL)
Fucale has been a work horse for the Halifax Mooseheads, a team nationally ranked as one of the best in the CHL all season. In 44 games player he has an impressive record (35-5-2) with a goals-against average of 2.43 and save percentage of .901.

His save totals have some concerned as most look for the percentage to be in the .910 to .920 range to be elite. My thoughts on this center around the long stretches of play where he does not see action on a team that has a tendency to fall asleep defensively. It's tough to stay in a rhythm when you go from zero shots to fending off high-quality scoring chances.

Fucale plays a very calm butterfly style similar to Cam Ward (Carolina Hurricanes). At 6-foot-1, size is not an issue but over time he will need to improve his scrambling play on second- and third-chance shots. The NHL's Central Scouting Service ranks Fucale as the No. 1 goaltending prospect in North America.

2) Marcus Hogberg, Linkoping (SWE)
Size has become a more and more attractive trait for the position (think Pekka Rinne) and at 6-4 Hogberg looks like another in a long list of elite Swedish netminders. He's seen only limited action this year, which is a bit of a concern, but the overall package offers something special.

In 13 games he's posted a 2.20 GAA and .916 save percentage. He moves very well for a big man and plays to his strengths -- good positioning and playing angles. It is very hard not to like the size.

"How do you not like the upside on this big kid?" said one Western Conference scout who just returned from Europe. "Every time I see him play I think he is an NHL goaltender."

Central Scouting ranks him No. 3 among European goalies.

3) Tristan Jarry, Edmonton (WHL)
Jarry has played in 20 games this season, sharing time with Laurent Brossoit (Calgary Flames, 2012 draft) and Jarry's numbers are extremely impressive. A 1.65 GAA and .935 save percentage suggest he is elite, but like all players stats do not tell the full story.

I like this kid's effort level and the fact that he is slightly on the weak side suggests there is much room for him to grow. A fellow scouting colleague said to me, "If he was the No. 1 in Edmonton, we may be talking about him as the best goaltender in the draft."

Excellent second effort and post-save recovery will take this kid a long way.

Central Scouting's got him at No. 3 in North America.

4) Philippe Desrosiers, Rimouski (QMJHL)
He's currently out with a sprained knee and expected to be sidelined for another two weeks. But when he was healthy he helped Rimouski regain its status as one of the best teams in Canada. (Rimouski is currently ranked sixth in the CHL.) Excellent skating allows him to get out of the crease, handling pucks and aid his defensemen with his mobility and side-to-side movement in the net.

"I am extremely impressed with his feet and balance, which are sometimes overlooked for the position," said one Eastern Conference scout and former goaltender. "In 35 games he has a record of 20-7-4. Central slots him in at No. 6 among North American netminders.

5) Eamon McAdam, Waterloo (USHL)
McAdam shares the load with teammate Calvin Petersen -- whom Central Scouting ranked higher -- but I like McAdam. In 22 games this year he has a record of 14-5-1 with 3.29 GAA and .899 save percentage. Those are not numbers anyone is going to get excited about but this big kid has a lot of game. I watched him play some excellent hockey earlier in the season at the World Junior A Challenge, where he helped Team USA win gold. He needs time to work on controlling his body position, but I see lots of second effort and an excellent stick for playing the puck.

Central Scouting pegs him at No. 7 in North America.

Honorable Mentions
Eric Comrie, Tri-City (WHL): Hip surgery (labrum) may scare some teams but he was having an excellent season up until the injury. He's now out for the remainder of the year, but was Central Scouting's No. 2 North American before going down.

Juuse Saros, HPK-Jr. (FIN): Extremely quick and putting in sold numbers, but at 5-10 his size is working against him. The No. 1 netminder in Europe according to Central Scouting.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:21 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Quote:
Zach Fucale is the top ranked goalie and he plays in the Q with Halifax along with MacKinnon and Drouin.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Zach Fucale (Halifax, QMJHL):
Quote:
"To me, he's clearly the best goalie I've seen this year," Central Scouting's David Gregory told NHL.com. "He just has this NHL game about him already and it starts with his focus. He plays on a team that, oftentimes, is in the other end of the rink for a lengthy period of time, but then there's a breakdown where he must make a 2-on-1 save where he keeps himself in games. He plays with a ton of confidence."

Central Scouting's Al Jensen, who specializes in goalies, agrees with Gregory.

"Zach is an excellent positional-style goalie with great stance and balance," Jensen told NHL.com. "He plays and looks big in all situations, has an excellent butterfly style and is very tough to beat down low. Zach is very calm, relaxed and dependable, and has excellent rebound control. He directs the low shots and absorbs the higher shots."
Spencer Martin (Mississauga, OHL):
Quote:
A tall, butterfly-style goaltender with excellent agility and flexibility.. generally speaking, receives inadequate support from his blueline crew, yet frustrate shooters by routinely making highlight-reel saves – that he makes look easy due to his sharp reflexes and quick lateral movement …focuses on keeping his body square to the puck .. demonstrates good fluidity and excellent push-off strength – and can go post-to-post in an instant – though can expose the five hole when moving laterally .. his super-quick reflexes match impressive skating ability – allowing him to play an agile, athletic game .. tends to crouch down too low as the play crosses the line, which in essence makes him smaller .. relies heavily on size and quickness to bail himself out, as he stays down too long and consequently requires a quicker recovery .. immediately drops to the butterfly on wraparounds, effectively taking away the bottom portion of the goal – but will neglect the centering pass in front by becoming over-fixated on the play behind him .. must continue to add muscle to a lean frame – although he already handles himself well in traffic as he is a bigger body and has no issues smothering the puck .. appears to sustain solid focus – and is starting to eliminate a habit of allowing untimely, soft goals .. assertive, hard working, competes and stays with plays .. aggressively challenges shooters and cuts down angles, sporting a quick, strong glove hand .. okay blocker, modest stickhandler .. must guard against over-pursuing and leaving the middle of the net exposed on rebounds and broken plays .. will need to work on his mental toughness moving forward – as well as rebound management, as he kicks out some juicy ones straight back out, especially when moving laterally.
Eric Comrie (Tri-City, WHL; hip surgery, out for rest of season) & Tristan Jarry (Edmonton, WHL):
Quote:
It appears that Edmonton coach Derek Laxdal has been judicious about when to put Jarry in goal and rest Brossoit. Seven of the netminder's 13 wins have come against teams outside the WHL playoff picture. The fact Jarry leads the WHL with a 1.68 goals-against average and .935 save percentage and is third with five shutouts should be taken with a grain of salt. However, in December, Jarry delivered a 37-save signature performance in a win over a potent Kamloops team while Brossoit was at Canada's national junior team selection camp. He was also his team's player of the game at last month's CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game in Halifax, where he did not allow a goal. Suffice to say, Jarry's progress suggests Edmonton should not face a drop-off between the pipes when Brossoit turns pro next season.
Eamon McAdam (Waterloo, USHL):
Quote:
Eamon McAdam (G, 2013), Waterloo – Penn State University commit for 2013 .. the future Nittany Lion boasts a solid frame at 6-foot-2 and 185 pounds .. shows good poise in the net and gives his team a steady and re-assuring presence .. good, compact movements and sealing off holes to opposing forwards .. uses his size to his advantage and eliminates shooting options consistently with solid positional decisions .. many times, this can momentary stall or alter the opposition’s plans .. makes efficient use of his pads and stick to stop the puck or direct rebounds into safe areas .. also displays an excellent work ethic and compete level – which was in full evidence on a spectacular diving glove save in the opening period on a back-door power-play pass .. resilient, never gives up on a puck .. must continue to work on strengthening his lateral movements and explosiveness .. developing better game-to-game consistency may be his biggest enemy, but there is a great deal to like given his composure and calmness .. depending on the team and their needs, he would be a nice pick in the mid rounds, or a steal in the later rounds, though it’s unlikely he slips beyond the fourth round – especially given this performance on a big stage.
Marcus Högberg (Linkopings HC, SEL) is probably the top Euro goalie with prototypical size and numbers. Maros Mikolas (MsHK Zilina, SVK) is another Euro I'll have my eye on at the 2013 U18 WC.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

McKeen’s head scout David Burstyn on Nikita Zadorov:
Quote:
Invited by Team Russia for the under-20 world juniors, only to be released just before the start of the tournament .. the Moscow native had participated in every major event for his country dating back to the 2012 World U17 Hockey Challenge .. offensive decision making has improved in leaps and bounds – and he is slowly becoming more of a force in transition .. logs the puck up ice with authority, exploiting an expansive frame as well as massive strides that simply swallow up ice .. partnered early in the season with Olli Maatta, which provided more security to venture into the offensive zone knowing his defensive duties were covered, however recently has been paired with deadline acquisition Justin Sefton .. jumps into the rush with more regularity and is taking an extra second with the puck to evaluate his options .. his skating and athleticism allow him to recover rapidly .. surprisingly smooth and agile for such a tall man – exploits quick pivots in order to transition from offence to defence in an instant .. his defensive play is an area that continues to be a work in progress however .. suffers sudden and complete lapses in judgement at random times .. rarely ever awarded any penalty-killing time as his positioning and shift-to-shift’ decision making continues to impede his development .. doesn’t always read a cycle very well down low defending his own zone, and can over-commit to the puckcarrier which forces teammates out of position to compensate .. struggles when pressured and will respond by often rushing decisions .. must work on making stronger and better clearing attempts .. steadily learning to exploit his footwork in 1-on-1 coverage – as he has improved his gap control and timing to administer hits against quick players .. will need to do a better job of establishing position in front of his net as he can allow players to slips in behind him .. physically assertive – not a mean head-hunter type, however when he does connects the opponent is usually (completely) eliminated from the play.
... and Jonathan Drouin:
Quote:
Blazed a trail with the Midget program at Lac St.Louis, averaging over two points per game, prior to forgoing a verbal commitment to Boston College .. selected second overall in the 2011 QMJHL Entry Draft behind MacKinnon, with whom he shares great chemistry .. not only keeps up with skilled players, but also complements them with his superior puckhandling skills .. dangles with the puck as if it were on a string .. quite undersized by NHL standards, however his family is quite tall and his older brother underwent a big growth spurt – six inches – prior to turning 18 .. lack of size may be the lone attribute missing here however, as he is an absolute tyrant in the offensive zone .. his hockey sense plus his ability to manufacture offence are a potent mix that separates him as a player .. head is always up .. extremely gifted puckmover with patience and poise .. hard on the puck for his size – and difficult to dispossess .. can thread the needle on a pass – waiting that extra second to let a play unfold – or open up a goalie and gingerly slide the puck through the opening .. very calculating – like a chessmaster evaluating options in the offensive zone as he waits for the pieces to fall into place before committing .. not the most courageous – yet equipped with an innate ability to sense danger, elude hits, and dispose of the puck before the opposition can get a read on him .. does a good job of disguising his actions by the manner in which his blade is turned – making goalies unsure whether he will pass or shoot .. can be a little perimeter at times and doesn’t attack or drive the net – and there’s also not much push-back to his game .. deceptively fast and agile – able to blow by opponents endowed with staggering levels of quickness – plus the capacity to shift between those different gears effortlessly .. darts into scoring areas making sudden rapid diagonal cuts and quick moves .. hands are also lightning quick as is his shot release .. his versatility and ability to excel as either a centerman or winger – only adds value to the package.

Closed Thread