HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part IV: In the Time Before Wingers Came into the World

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 09:47 PM
leafspensfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Most likely because Clutterbuck got pulled to the locker room twice during the game that Shero was at, it made all of us following it that night think he might have been traded.

I agree, Clutterbuck isn't going anywhere unless a team overpays. Maybe if Shero wanted to make a deal around Despres for Seto and Clutterbuck we could get him if Fletcher really likes Simon.
Hold up here, I understand where you're coming from but no way we trade Depres, he's way too good and we need him at the back end, he's a top 4 d-man once/if Niskanen gets traded.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:50 PM
mpp9

Yeah, I was on board with moving Despres at the beginning of the season, but not anymore. He's ready for a big role with this team. Get some insurance like Gonch at the deadline and we're set.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:54 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Yeah, I was on board with moving Despres at the beginning of the season, but not anymore. He's ready for a big role with this team. Get some insurance like Gonch at the deadline and we're set.
I miss Gonch, I'd love to see him and his shot back

Old
02-17-2013, 09:55 PM
BeauKnows19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
You guys do realize that the Pens once more have the second most goals in the NHL.
They also have the second highest goal differential of +14 between Goals and GA, which by the way is 9 full points better than the next in the division, NJ.

We are also first in the eastern conference and third overall in points in the NHL.

I am not saying that our annual quest for a star wing to be Crosby's Neal, and for tha matter another quality wing for Malkin, is not something we should be doing.

What I am saying is that we are hardly over a barrel here and can wait for a good deal to come to us.
So we may be fine for now, but the playoffs is the concern. We scored a lot of regular season goals last year, not as much in the postseason. The team that gave us the most trouble this year was the Devils, a very good defensive team. When we face them or another team like them in the playoffs we will need more scoring. Because our fillers won't be able to get it done as well as someone with a little more skill (like seto, Stewart).

Old
02-17-2013, 10:00 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Hold up here, I understand where you're coming from but no way we trade Depres, he's way too good and we need him at the back end, he's a top 4 d-man once/if Niskanen gets traded.
Quote:
Yeah I don't want to move Despres either, but I'm just thinking that Niskanen + doesn't get us Seto and Clutterbuck. I guess it depends on what that + is but it would have to be something better than TK

Old
02-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Malkinstheman

After hearing that brodin is better than any prospect we have i am kind of intrigued on getting him. No way it happens though hes minnesotas future number one defencemen. I really think ray should have traded up in the 2011 draft there were some great european defencemen and forward like broding, klefbom, larsson, baerstachi etc

Old
02-17-2013, 10:04 PM
mpp9

Niskanen+Maatta. If the Wild want a stopgap top 9 forward they can have Cooke or TK.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:05 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Seto & Phillips

For

Niskanen & Kennedy

Fingers crossed... We need to get Beau some help down there and he'd be a nice insurance in case we need to call up a good centerman with potential on both ends of the ice.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:05 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Yea, the Pens are one of the highest-scoring teams in the NHL. But their scoring comes entirely from 4 people. They have very little secondary scoring. With Staal gone, the 3rd line seems unable to generate anything consistent. The 4th line is good at 4th-lining. The only real place to upgrade the scoring comes on the wings of the top two lines. This allows you to move Dupuis down and create 2.5 scoring lines for the playoffs, which is what all of us care about.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:07 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Niskanen+Maatta. If the Wild want a stopgap top 9 forward they can have Cooke or TK.
I would do that deal even with TK or Cooke added in. Maybe Minny could add in a 4th rd pick or something?

Old
02-17-2013, 10:09 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Seto & Phillips

For

Niskanen & Kennedy

Fingers crossed... We need to get Beau some help down there and he'd be a nice insurance in case we need to call up a good centerman with potential on both ends of the ice.
ok, please tell me what is up with your man crush on phillips, no one but you wants him. lemme have it, what's so good about him?

Old
02-17-2013, 10:10 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Who are we trading for here?

Old
02-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Fire Shero*

It really is amazing that the Pens are in first place. I have no doubt that they will finish in the top 5. The east is REALLY weak so far. I think NJ would beat us in the playoffs, probably Boston. Carolina is a wildcard. But besides those 3, no other teams in the east really scare me. The western conference will probably sweep whatever eastern team makes it to the cup.

But as others have said, this team scares me to death in the playoffs.

But look at our "top line" guys in the postseason, where it really matters:

Pascal Dupuis: 62 GP 7 goals

Chris Kunitz: 49 GP 8 goals

James Neal: 12 GP 3 goals

Can you imagine if Crosby is somehow contained? We're done.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Jaded-Fan

Heh. Checking the stats today, Neal now leads the NHL with 11 goals, but that is against only 3 assists. Neal is the new Ovechkin, he calls them assists, we call them rebounds off the goalie.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:15 PM
One87

Nof to jock Edmonton too hard here, but what about Omark? I doubt he would cost much. He's done well in every league he has played in.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:16 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
He had one great year and has been a mediocre player the other 5 seasons. Sorry I don't get gitty thinking about Setoguchi. You can't just assume players will play great if they are thrown on crosbys line.

There's gotta be someone else better
I wasn't aware that someone who's had 5 20g+ seasons (or been on pace for) was a mediocre player. How many 20g seasons does Neal or Dupuis or Kunitz have? And how old is he?

Is there someone better out there? Absolutely there is. Are they available, and can we afford them (acquire/retain)?

02-17-2013, 10:20 PM
BumFortyOne

What about something like:

Niskanen for Setoguchi

Maatta for Malone ($1M of cap hit retained)

Kennedy + pick for Gonchar

Kunitz-Crosby-Setoguchi
Malone-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Martin
Depres-Letang
Gonchar-Engelland

Looks solid to me.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:20 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I would do that deal even with TK or Cooke added in. Maybe Minny could add in a 4th rd pick or something?
Yep. That's a solid basis for a deal. Depends if Shero wants Seto in a Pens uniform enough to move Nisky. I'm sure he'd be interested in Clutterbuck.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:23 PM
H382

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumFortyOne View Post

Niskanen for Setoguchi

Kunitz-Crosby-Setoguchi
Malone-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Martin
Depres-Letang
Gonchar-Engelland

Looks solid to me.

Where do I sign?

Old
Nietzsche Zone Play

No Wingers - I don't think that's a very good way of looking at it. I'd be curious to see what Dustin Brown, Jeff Carter, and Dustin Penner did up until last season. Even then, it didn't really matter because that team won with great defense and goaltending, and timely goals from a bunch of young 3rd and 4th liners.

The firepower is there. Adding one more winger should absolutely cement that and move people into better places. The 3rd line is a bigger concern than the top 2 IMO.

Old
Sjb141

Quote:
Originally Posted by One87 View Post
Nof to jock Edmonton too hard here, but what about Omark? I doubt he would cost much. He's done well in every league he has played in.
I absolutely love Omark but he's really struggled w/ the smaller ice and the physical game in the NHL. Don't really ever see him being a fit w/ us bu I would be intrigued.

I'm still really (really) high on msp though and contrary to (hfboards) opinion I don't see us needing to break the bank for him.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:24 PM
mpp9

If Tampa will retain some of Malone's salary and he's healthy, Id deal for him if Seto is our target. We need a proper net front guy. That's a huge part of winning in the postseason.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:25 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumFortyOne View Post

Niskanen for Setoguchi

Kunitz-Crosby-Setoguchi
Malone-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Martin
Depres-Letang
Gonchar-Engelland

Looks solid to me.
We could get probably another player/prospect out of Minny in that Niskanen deal, try the pick straight up for Gonch and flip Kennedy somewhere for a pick. the Maata deal makes me hesitant, cause I love Maata and I don't wanna give him up for a 3 yr player, especially with such a high ceiling. That being said, if we get a cup or 2 out of it, i'm down with it

Old
02-17-2013, 10:31 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Given Zucker's performance tonight, it'll definitely ease Fletcher's concern about replacing Setoguchi should he trade him for help on the backend. What worries me about trading Niskanen is if the others we have that are lower on the depth chart, can replace him effectively. Despres and Bortuzzo have been playing limited I& sheltered minutes throughout the season.

Minny may feel more comfortable with Zucker being the picture but I'm not so sure Shero feels the same with giving up Nisky.

As somebodyelse has stated earlier, perhaps he'll want a D coming back with Seto if it would involve an established experienced defenseman like Niskanen being dealt.

Question is, would would fit the bill from Minny and who would be good enough & polished enough to play some minutes in the big league?

Prosser?
Falk?
Spurgeon?
Scandella?

Forget the others they have. They're too established experienced & they need them more than we do.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:31 PM
BumFortyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
We could get probably another player/prospect out of Minny in that Niskanen deal, try the pick straight up for Gonch and flip Kennedy somewhere for a pick. the Maata deal makes me hesitant, cause I love Maata and I don't wanna give him up for a 3 yr player, especially with such a high ceiling. That being said, if we get a cup or 2 out of it, i'm down with it
Yeah, that was just a framework I guess. Using something a long the lines of Niskanen, Maatta, Kennedy, maybe a pick to acquire Setoguchi, Malone with some salary retained, and Gonchar. And none of the deals seem too far-fetched to me.

Maybe even send Niskanen to Tampa Bay and Maatta to Minnesota if that would work better for their needs. Either way, I think the value is there.

Closed Thread