HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Who's more popular in Pittsburgh? Crosby or Malkin?

View Poll Results: Who's more popular in the Pittsburgh-area?
Crosby 87 58.00%
Malkin 15 10.00%
Even 48 32.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-17-2013, 05:33 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

vCash: 500
Sid

Merchandise sales proves it.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:14 PM
turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
That's definitely not what I see in the post game thread every other night. Malkin has had excuses made for him left and right so far this season. There is a certain contingent on here that seems to think helping Malkin is pretty much the number one priority at all times. We could go 82-0, but if Malkin's even strength production wasn't at it's peak, there would still be outrage. When he plays poorly, it's automatically blamed on the "third wheel" on his line or even Neal supposedly "not creating enough on his own". And if it's not that it's just pinned on Bylsma(for not giving him enough minutes) or Shero(for not getting him another 40 goal winger to play with I guess).

This idea that Crosby is somehow given a pass in Pittsburgh and Geno is treated like a second class citizen is complete nonsense. They make the exact same amount of money and, of all our wingers, only one is a legitimate high end talent and he plays with Malkin.
Fair enough, and I totally disagree. The statement I made wasn't limited to just this season.

turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Nicky Santoro

pittsburghers who are at least 38 yrs old.., i really need to know. help a brother here.

1- Were the Pens more popular during Lemieux, Jagr peak in late 80's to mid 90's and their back to back cups.., or today's Sid and Malkin days??

2- Also, who was more popular in Pitts, Mario back then, or Sid today??

Thanks, boys..

Nicky Santoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
pittsburghers who are at least 38 yrs old.., i really need to know. help a brother here.

1- Were the Pens more popular during Lemieux, Jagr peak in late 80's to mid 90's and their back to back cups.., or today's Sid and Malkin days??

2- Also, who was more popular in Pitts, Mario back then, or Sid today??

Thanks, boys..
They were very popular then, and now. I remember them selling out back then as well, and people carping about how prices for tickets had gone up, just like they do now. I do think now may surpass the popularity of back then though. Maybe because we almost lost the team, the city seems to have embraced the team even more. This is almost Steeler level intensity. There was a much more definate tier of difference between the teams back then. Steelers. Then Pens and Pirates who were about tied, Pirates likely were even ahead. Now?

Steelers-Pens

Pirates.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Nicky Santoro

thanks jade. wow, so hard to believe pens back then weren't killing today's. My childhood hero Mario who grew up 5 min from me was so good. i don't care what everyone says about wayne better.. but Mario was the greatest of all time. he was sooooooo good and you were so lucky to have had him. and then you had Jagr to boot. what a team, what an offence.. when i think of mario today, i get a tear in my eye. i was so lucky to have seen him in this lifetime. there'll never be another mario. i can't believe he doesn't kill Sid in popularity back then. those were great times. i wish they can come back. Pens were so fun to watch with Mario. and explosive. oh well, nothing lasts forever.

thanks buddy.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Duck Paddy

Quote:
thanks jade. wow, so hard to believe pens back then weren't killing today's. My childhood hero Mario who grew up 5 min from me was so good. i don't care what everyone says about wayne better.. but Mario was the greatest of all time. he was sooooooo good and you were so lucky to have had him. and then you had Jagr to boot. what a team, what an offence.. when i think of mario today, i get a tear in my eye. i was so lucky to have seen him in this lifetime. there'll never be another mario. i can't believe he doesn't kill Sid in popularity back then. those were great times. i wish they can come back. Pens were so fun to watch with Mario. and explosive. oh well, nothing lasts forever.

thanks buddy.
Does the tone of this post remind anybody else of that infamous post a few years ago?

Duck Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:

thanks buddy.
Just for you:

Mario's first goal:

Mario's first goal after returning from retirement:

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Paddy View Post
Does the tone of this post remind anybody else of that infamous post a few years ago?
i swear i have no idea what you're talking about. you sure you got the right guy???? i've never posted in this section.

thanks jade. all those vids are in my memory for life. i've seen every Mario highlight . it's in my brain permanently. i could never forget them.

what shocks me is that mario is probably not even in the top 5 athletes of all time in Pittsburgh, right?? i am sure mean joe greene, big ben, terry bradshaw, willie stargell and a few more i am forgetting are probably ahead of mario??

i swear, if he played his career in montreal, today, he'd be number 1. yes, he'd have surpassed Rocket, Beliveau, and lafleur.. and easily.. a superstar, a french canadian local from montreal and very likeable. and exciting.. but in pitt, top 5 if lucky.. wow.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
i swear i have no idea what you're talking about. you sure you got the right guy???? i've never posted in this section.

thanks jade. all those vids are in my memory for life. i've seen every Mario highlight . it's in my brain permanently. i could never forget them.

what shocks me is that mario is probably not even in the top 5 athletes of all time in Pittsburgh, right?? i am sure mean joe greene, big ben, terry bradshaw, willie stargell and a few more i am forgetting are probably ahead of mario??

i swear, if he played his career in montreal, today, he'd be number 1. yes, he'd have surpassed Rocket, Beliveau, and lafleur.. and easily.. a superstar, a french canadian local from montreal and very likeable. and exciting.. but in pitt, top 5 if lucky.. wow.
I can't claim to speak for the whole of Pittsburgh, but I would think that it's Lemieux/Roberto Clemente, then everyone else. Steelers rule the city, but I think in terms of individual athletes, those two are top.

Get To Our Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:27 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Rejean We Trust View Post
I can't claim to speak for the whole of Pittsburgh, but I would think that it's Lemieux/Roberto Clemente, then everyone else. Steelers rule the city, but I think in terms of individual athletes, those two are top.
Yeah I think that's pretty much the consensus.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Gold Diamond
World Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
Yeah I think that's pretty much the consensus.
Your avatar is amazing.

Gold Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Rejean We Trust View Post
man, are you serious.. Mario is number 1??? i love it.. i swear i'd thought with all the popularity of the mid 70's steelers and all those super bowls that it'd be bradshaw or some other guy from that dynasty team.. or how about Troy Polamalu now?? he's gotta be up there. it would be great if it is indeed mario. with how good he was, it really should be him.. i don't think crosby should even be close.. they didn't call him super mario for nothing.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
man, are you serious.. Mario is number 1??? i love it.. i swear i'd thought with all the popularity of the mid 70's steelers and all those super bowls that it'd be bradshaw or some other guy from that dynasty team.. or how about Troy Polamalu now?? he's gotta be up there. it would be great if it is indeed mario. with how good he was, it really should be him.. i don't think crosby should even be close.. they didn't call him super mario for nothing.
top two individuals are Mario and Clemente for sure.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:55 PM
JTG

Mario is probably the most widely recognized Pittsburgh athlete ever. His play is only a small part of it, IMO. His dedication to the city, making Pittsburgh his year round residence, and then saving the Penguins by sacrificing his own finances are why he holds that place for so many people.

It has been very much a give and take with Mario. He has done for the city what he has because we as the public have, for the most part, completely respected the fact that he is very private and wants to remain that way.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:20 AM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Mario is probably the most widely recognized Pittsburgh athlete ever. His play is only a small part of it, IMO. His dedication to the city, making Pittsburgh his year round residence, and then saving the Penguins by sacrificing his own finances are why he holds that place for so many people.

It has been very much a give and take with Mario. He has done for the city what he has because we as the public have, for the most part, completely respected the fact that he is very private and wants to remain that way.
so he's not tops for his amazing hockey skills? he's more of an off ice hero. so if he didn't save Pens and invest in them, he would not be number 1?? ouch..

what i find amazing is i swear to you, i used to play ball hockey with mario when i was 14-15 yrs old, before he was anything.. he lives 5 min from me and me and my buddies. we are the exact same age. we used to bring our sticks (we were englsh) and play his team (they were french) and he was this tall lanky skinny kid who was so quiet and never said a word, but man was he good. we never thought in a million yrs he'd be Super Mario one day. what a nice kid he was. very shy and just kind. and who's to say what he ended up doing.. i never knew one day that kid would grow up one day to own the city of Pittsburgh and be the most popular guy there and turn out to be this legend. had i known, i would've bought him a chocolate bar and tried to have been his pal. i am proud of him and so proud i got to play ball hockey with him.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:35 AM
Crosbyfan

This might be closer if the question was "who is your favourite".

Sid might be more popular 60 to 40, in which case if everyone answered correctly it would be 100% Sid the way the question is asked.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
so he's not tops for his amazing hockey skills? he's more of an off ice hero. so if he didn't save Pens and invest in them, he would not be number 1?? ouch..

what i find amazing is i swear to you, i used to play ball hockey with mario when i was 14-15 yrs old, before he was anything.. he lives 5 min from me and me and my buddies. we are the exact same age. we used to bring our sticks (we were englsh) and play his team (they were french) and he was this tall lanky skinny kid who was so quiet and never said a word, but man was he good. we never thought in a million yrs he'd be Super Mario one day. what a nice kid he was. very shy and just kind. and who's to say what he ended up doing.. i never knew one day that kid would grow up one day to own the city of Pittsburgh and be the most popular guy there and turn out to be this legend. had i known, i would've bought him a chocolate bar and tried to have been his pal. i am proud of him and so proud i got to play ball hockey with him.
He does a lot of charity work in the community here which earns him respect of Pittsburghers who may not be hockey fans.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:34 AM
yuri28

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd View Post
Crosby, hands down. When Malkin plays poorly, he gets so much **** for it. When Sid plays poorly there's always a convenient excuse lined up. Don't get me wrong, I love them both, but for whatever reason, Malkin gets 10x the **** Sid does.
Completely agree with you.

yuri28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Nicky Santoro

thanks guys for the responses.. but it's really hard to swallow that mario isn't tops in Pitt because like i said, had he played his career in Montreal, he would have been the most famous hab of all time surpassing Rocket, Lafleur and Beliveau, yet he's not even number 1 hockey player in Pittsburgh. and sid the kid isn't even 1% of what Mario was.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:56 AM
JTG

Quote:
thanks guys for the responses.. but it's really hard to swallow that mario isn't tops in Pitt because like i said, had he played his career in Montreal, he would have been the most famous hab of all time surpassing Rocket, Lafleur and Beliveau, yet he's not even number 1 hockey player in Pittsburgh. and sid the kid isn't even 1% of what Mario was.
Where did you come up with this? Everyone said he is probably the #1 athlete in Pittsburgh...

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:58 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
I'll bet if you posted in Long Island, you'd be the #1 poster of all time. You've got potential, kid. Gotta train hard.

But this Lemeiux guy sounds okay. I wonder if he's as good as Petr Sykora was? What was his number again?

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:43 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd View Post
Crosby, hands down. When Malkin plays poorly, he gets so much **** for it. When Sid plays poorly there's always a convenient excuse lined up. Don't get me wrong, I love them both, but for whatever reason, Malkin gets 10x the **** Sid does.
Agreed.

Even when Malkin plays well there are a handful of posters who will give him a (-) in the post game thread. Sid's poor play usually doesn't get mentioned. Every one of Geno's gets magnified. It gets old fast. Maybe some people don't understand you don't have to tear one player down to build another up.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Mario is hands down #1 when it comes to hockey. Its not even close. Like I said, the only sports figure who may be more respected here is Roberto Clemente.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Where did you come up with this? Everyone said he is probably the #1 athlete in Pittsburgh...
I was wondering that too, unless he doesn't realize that Clemente was a baseball player.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Agreed.

Even when Malkin plays well there are a handful of posters who will give him a (-) in the post game thread. Sid's poor play usually doesn't get mentioned. Every one of Geno's gets magnified. It gets old fast. Maybe some people don't understand you don't have to tear one player down to build another up.
Geno is the 1%.

He has to pay his fair share of + so we can have a fair redistribution of + to Sid.

Polaris Husky is offline   Reply With Quote