HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part IV: In the Time Before Wingers Came into the World

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Malkinstheman

vCash: 500
Why does everyone seem to add maata into trades like a throw in? I admit hes far away from the nhl but imo his ceiling is a 2 way number #1 defencemen. It prob wont happen but if he works hard enough and is developed properly he could reach that point.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:34 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumFortyOne View Post
What about something like:

Niskanen for Setoguchi

Maatta for Malone ($1M of cap hit retained)

Kennedy + pick for Gonchar

Kunitz-Crosby-Setoguchi
Malone-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Martin
Depres-Letang
Gonchar-Engelland

Looks solid to me.
The Sens are looking for help on D more than anybody right now. No way would they do that unless they're out of the playoff race at the trade deadline.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:35 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Yeah, that was just a framework I guess. Using something a long the lines of Niskanen, Maatta, Kennedy, maybe a pick to acquire Setoguchi, Malone with some salary retained, and Gonchar. And none of the deals seem too far-fetched to me.
No they're not far fetched at all, actually they're quite good, I'm just selfish and want the other teams to accept our lowball offers

Old
02-17-2013, 10:36 PM
BumFortyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Given Zucker's performance tonight, it'll definitely ease Fletcher's concern about replacing Setoguchi should he trade him for help on the backend. What worries me about trading Niskanen is if the others we have that are lower on the depth chart, can replace him effectively. Despres and Bortuzzo have been playing limited I& sheltered minutes throughout the season.

Minny may feel more comfortable with Zucker being the picture but I'm not so sure Shero feels the same with giving up Nisky.

As somebodyelse has stated earlier, perhaps he'll want a D coming back with Seto if it would involve an established experienced defenseman like Niskanen being dealt.

Question is, would would fit the bill from Minny and who would be good enough & polished enough to play some minutes in the big league?

Prosser?
Falk?
Spurgeon?
Scandella?

Forget the others they have. They're too established experienced & they need them more than we do.
Either that or do a complimentary deal sending either a pick or Kennedy + pick to Ottawa for Gonchar assuming they're safely out of the playoff picture at the deadline.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:37 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
The Sens are looking for help on D more than anybody right now. No way would they do that unless they're out of the playoff race at the trade deadline.
No way in hell they make the playoffs w/o the best dman in the league AND their #1 centre...they might as well start tanking now

Old
02-17-2013, 10:38 PM
BumFortyOne

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
No way in hell they make the playoffs w/o the best dman in the league AND their #1 centre...they might as well start tanking now
Yeah, I would imagine that deal to go down at the deadline. Can't see Ottawa making the playoffs given the injuries to their star players.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:38 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
Why does everyone seem to add maata into trades like a throw in? I admit hes far away from the nhl but imo his ceiling is a 2 way number #1 defencemen. It prob wont happen but if he works hard enough and is developed properly he could reach that point.
Maatta's work ethic is out of this world apparently. I recall seeing an interview that discussed that some of him. They even had to convince him to tone it down in London (OHL) because if he didn't, he'd probably burnout before the playoffs would commence.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche Zone Play View Post
No Wingers - I don't think that's a very good way of looking at it. I'd be curious to see what Dustin Brown, Jeff Carter, and Dustin Penner did up until last season. Even then, it didn't really matter because that team won with great defense and goaltending, and timely goals from a bunch of young 3rd and 4th liners.

The firepower is there. Adding one more winger should absolutely cement that and move people into better places. The 3rd line is a bigger concern than the top 2 IMO.
Dustin Penner: 60GP 10 goals (30 points)
Dustin Brown: 32GP 10 goals (27 points)
Jeff Carter: 67GP 21 goals (34 points)

I know we had Sid and Malkin, but our support cast tends to disappear in the playoffs, statistically speaking, compared to their regular season play. Hopefully Shero can find another good winger, better than Setoguchi to pick up the slack.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:41 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Maatta's work ethic is out of this world apparently. I recall seeing an interview that discussed that some of him. They even had to convince him to tone it down in London (OHL) because if he didn't, he'd probably burnout before the playoffs would commence.
this is why i don't want to trade him, him a tanger as a pair is something to look forward to, he should not be traded.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:43 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Dustin Penner: 60GP 10 goals (30 points)
Dustin Brown: 32GP 10 goals (27 points)
Jeff Carter: 67GP 21 goals (34 points)

I know we had Sid and Malkin, but our support cast tends to disappear in the playoffs, statistically speaking, compared to their regular season play. Hopefully Shero can find another good winger, better than Setoguchi to pick up the slack.
If Florida ends up throwing in the towel before the deadline, I'd love to see Shero try to get Mueller.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:46 PM
Malkinstheman

For me the untochables are harrington, maata, bennett and maybe hankowski since he is a pure goal scorer but im not sure if that will carry on to the nhl.

Old
BumFortyOne

Quote:
this is why i don't want to trade him, him a tanger as a pair is something to look forward to, he should not be traded.
It doesn't have to be Maatta, but clearly the best trade chips Shero has are the many quality high end defense prospects in the organization. And everybody has their favorites.

Old
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Yes but we have an abundance of raw Ds who won't make he NHL for years. Having too many young D simultaneously in WBS will only stunt their progress since there are only so many minutes and special team duties you can give out for them to further their development.

We need a balance and our team is in a win now mode. Trading Maatta instead of Niskanen would be ideal given our situation.

Old
Malkinstheman

Quote:
If Florida ends up throwing in the towel before the deadline, I'd love to see Shero try to get Mueller.
Id rather him go for versteeg he could have signed mueller but didnt

Old
02-17-2013, 10:49 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Yes but we have an abundance of raw Ds who won't make he NHL for years. Having too many young D simultaneously in WBS will only stunt their progress since there are only so many minutes and special team duties you can give out for them to further their development.

We need a balance and our team is in a win now mode. Trading Maatta instead of Niskanen would be ideal given our situation.
I agree we need to win now, but if we were to trade our D prospects, I'd much rather give up Pouliot, he may be better than Maatta now regarding points, but Maatta plays that all round game we'd love and his work ethic would put him at a level higher than Pouliot. Fine, if we have to trade one of our D-prospects for Malone give them Pouliot

Old
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Yeah, who could possibly make the playoffs under those circumstances?

Oh wait, losses of Crosby all year, Letang a huge part of the year, Staal half the year, and losing more man games overall than almost anyone in the league a couple of years ago. Who did we get that year we tanked?

Old
leafspensfan

Quote:
It doesn't have to be Maatta, but clearly the best trade chips Shero has are the many quality high end defense prospects in the organization. And everybody has their favorites.
Pouliot?

Old
02-17-2013, 10:50 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
When you list our young Ds, I get the feeling that Maatta is the least favorite of Shero. I always got the impression that the only reason why we chose him is because he was by far the best player available and a no brainer at our spot to draft. Other than that, we never see Shero drafting a Euro early.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:50 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Yeah, who could possibly make the playoffs under those circumstances?

Oh wait, losses of Crosby all year, Letang a huge part of the year, Staal half the year, and losing more man games overall than almost anyone in the league a couple of years ago. Who did we get that year we tanked?
We had Malkin AND Neal to carry the team, who does Ottawa have?

Turrris and Chris Neil? Yeah, they're definitely getting it done

Old
02-17-2013, 10:51 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
When you list our young Ds, I get the feeling that Maatta is the least favorite of Shero. I always got the impression that the only reason why we chose him is because he was by far the best player available and a no brainer at our spot to draft. Other than that, we never see Shero drafting a Euro early.
Unfortunately, you may be right...too bad, he might end up being the best out of all of them...

Old
02-17-2013, 10:53 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
I agree we need to win now, but if we were to trade our D prospects, I'd much rather give up Pouliot, he may be better than Maatta now regarding points, but Maatta plays that all round game we'd love and his work ethic would put him at a level higher than Pouliot. Fine, if we have to trade one of our D-prospects for Malone give them Pouliot
Pouliot gives Shero wet-dreams.
No way he'd move him unless its part of a huge trade involving another player that gives Shero instant hard-ons.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:55 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Unfortunately, you may be right...too bad, he might end up being the best out of all of them...
Ottawa traded Rundblad for the pick that gave STL Tarasenko.

I hope Shero does the same this year for a similar player like Anthony Mantha for example.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:56 PM
BumFortyOne

Quote:
Pouliot?
I would imagine that Shero values Pouliot over Maatta given the respective positions he drafted them at.

Quote:
Yeah, and I'd imagine Shero very highly values Pouliot given he went slightly off the board to take him with the pick that came back from trading Staal. Then Harrington has been a stud in juniors and brings something unique to the prospect pool. Morrow has the shot and all around potential. Dumoulin apparently has been incredibly steady in WBS and is near NHL ready. That probably leaves Maatta at the bottom of the list.

Admittedly, I don't really get to watch much, if any, of these propects play so I am mainly going off the assessments of those people on this board whose opinions I respect.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:57 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
I dont think this is true, shero still sees great value in maata. Every gm goes into the draft have a list of prospects they want to target. I suspect maata was high on the list but didnt expect him to fall to us. But even if he likes him the least im pretty sure he sees the potential in maata.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:57 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
We had Malkin AND Neal to carry the team, who does Ottawa have?

Turrris and Chris Neil? Yeah, they're definitely getting it done
Alfredsson will be he big fish they trade this year. He deserves a shot at the cup before its too late.

Closed Thread