HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

MPS vs Jordan Schroeder

View Poll Results: MPS vs Jordan Schroeder
MPS 115 45.82%
Jordan Schroeder 136 54.18%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Art of Sedinery

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Why is it that no one has addressed the 8 non playoff teams compared to 3 that Schroeder has played against at this point BTW?
What does that change? Has Edmonton only played the Blackhawks 14 times this season?

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
Same opinions here man. Paajarvi has been playing well in his role scoring 2 important GWG's this season... i haven't heard much of Schroeder since his 2 goal game vs the fLames. He will be a good player and i'm sure of that though.
There have only been 2 games since then.

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:41 PM
bp spec

Schroeder

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:48 PM
VanCanucks14

All I got from this thread was that Oiler fans will take MPS and Canuck fans will take Schroeder. Very surprising.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Kirk Mclean
The best there is...

definitely the one playing an important role on one of the best teams in the league. i don't actually think it's really close at least right now. hard to say how good they'll be later.

Kirk Mclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Big fat dad

I'm surprised how close this is.

Shroeder by a lot I'd say.

Big fat dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Oiler fan and I voted for Schroeder, Paajarvi is bigger and better defensively at this point, but Schroeder has much better offensive ability and is more dynamic. I believe both players will improve on weaknesses in their games, but I don't think offense will ever come easily for Paajarvi he just doesn't have the natural nack for it and that is what will cause the seperation in Schroeder's favour.

Burnt Biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShowWilly View Post
you have no idea how he'd be doing on the canucks. That is a silly statement.
Probably not well, I don't see who he would beat out for a spot.

He's not consistently in the line-up for the Oilers, who would he beat out in our line-up? Might play on the 4th now and then.

Sergei Shirokov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

Since the poll says right now its JS.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Kass Effect

JS, for now. MPS is just too inconsistent from what I've seen, while JS has been steady. I doubt MPS would get any icetime - at this point in time - on the Canucks for a few reasons, but the Oilers aren't winning anything any time soon, and can justify icing young inconsistent players more than a contender can.

Maybe MPS would instantly improve in a system like Van's and with a better team, but maybe Shroeder would excel given a more prominent role with some of the Oilers' young wingers.

Right now, I go with the guy making Mason Raymond look good.

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art of Sedinery View Post
What does that change? Has Edmonton only played the Blackhawks 14 times this season?
So quality of competition doesn't matter?

The rest of the season will tell us all we need to know.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:57 PM
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
So quality of competition doesn't matter?

The rest of the season will tell us all we need to know.

Of course not. Cause Jason Garrison, is on the same team, and hes been struggling despite his +6 stat. Alex Edler too.

Level of competition doesn't matter if its the NHL. NHL is NHL. He's been playing pretty well, not off the charts well, but good enough for him to hang around. He's been wonderful for our team. He sees the ice very well, very good passer actually, (I sound like an oiler fan pumping Hemsky back in the day) Unlikely we will see him scratched anytime soon.

lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Man great to see Oilers fans dissing Schroeder yet haven't seen him play. Schroeder is a very good defensive player, when I saw people calling Schroeder bad defensively and I just about lost it. Paajarvi is one of my favorite players, but I'd take Schroeder for the time being.
That's just a pathetic comment. How the hell do you know what any one person has seen, let alone an entire fanbase? Also don't you think we just may have seen him play in the 1 game he participated in against the Oilers? Instead of fabricating what experiences peoples lives have consisted of perhaps you could make an argument as to why Schroeder is better than Paajarvi (who is apparently one of your favorite players despite not being better than a guy who's not even a star at the AHL level nor does he play for your favorite team, all i'll say is you sure choose weird "favorites"). Comments like these are what gives HFboards a bad name.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDRR View Post
Hmm. Schroeder had a better ppg in the AHL this year than MPS. Schroeder has only played 11 games in the NHL, and MPS has not been light years ahead of him this year. This isn't MPS' first season though, but I don't think it's fair to hold MPS' NHL scoring against Schroeder when this is his first season. You may be able to say he was able to make the NHL faster, but his scoring has slowed down as he's gotten more NHL experience. Defensively, there isn't that big of a gap. You can thank your Oilers for that. MacTavish really helped his defensive game.
This year he did but last year it wasn't even close. The reason Schroeder outscored him this year is because the Oiers had 3 NHL stars on the PP ahead of him, Paajarvi did not get much PP time. His NHL numers are also hurt by playing many games with little ice time on the 4th line, something Schoreder has yet to deal with to the same extent at the NHL level (due to Kesler's injury). Schroeder has taken advantage of it for sure but so did Paajarvi when he got the chance to play up in the lineup due to injuries to Hemsky. Over their AHL careers their ppg looks like this:

AHL:
0.63 Paajarvi
0.56 Schroeder

The NHL sample size for Schroeder makes this somewhat assinine to compare but i will do so anyways:

NHL:
0.33 Paajarvi (this includes on season with a ppg of 0.43)
0.36 Schroeder (again this is of course all of 11 games, so pretty irrelevant at this point, just look at his first 11 AHL games in comparison to his other seasons to see an example of that)

Paajarvi has the best single season ppg at either level with his AHL 11-12 season ppg of 0.74 being far better than Schroeders AHL 12-13 numbers of 0.63. Even when it comes to the playoffs at the AHL level Paajarvi has been better. Paajarvi has also been an all star at the World Championships. There is little in the way of numbers to suggest that Paajarvi is not the more accomplished player as a pro and that's despite coming from a different style of hockey. It really isn't close, and that's not even factoring in size and speed.

Last edited by Eskimo44: 02-17-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old
02-17-2013, 10:16 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
Of course not. Cause Jason Garrison, is on the same team, and hes been struggling despite his +6 stat. Alex Edler too.

Level of competition doesn't matter if its the NHL. NHL is NHL. He's been playing pretty well, not off the charts well, but good enough for him to hang around. He's been wonderful for our team. He sees the ice very well, very good passer actually, (I sound like an oiler fan pumping Hemsky back in the day) Unlikely we will see him scratched anytime soon.
Are you serious?

Do you think the coach of any NHL team isn't acutely aware of who plays against who in a hockey game? Who he matches players against, or who he shelters some of his players from?

Do you think it's a coincidence that Shea Weber plays a majority of the minutes against elite players? Is it just happenstance that the most sheltered defenseman in the league (in terms of quality of competition) is John Scott?

Who a player is out there against makes a huge difference. Massive.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:20 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
This year he did but last year it wasn't even close. The reason Schroeder outscored him this year is because the Oiers had 3 NHL stars on the PP ahead of him, Paajarvi did not get much PP time. His NHL numers are also hurt by playing many games with little ice time on the 4th line, something Schoreder has yet to deal with to the same extent at the NHL level (due to Kesler's injury). Schroeder has taken advantage of it for sure but so did Paajarvi when he got the chance to play up in the lineup due to injuries to Hemsky. Over their AHL careers their ppg looks like this:

AHL:
0.63 Paajarvi
0.56 Schroeder

The NHL sample size for Schroeder makes this somewhat assinine to compare but i will do so anyways:

NHL:
0.33 Paajarvi (this includes on season with a ppg of 0.43)
0.36 Schroeder (again this is of course all of 11 games, so pretty irrelevant at this point, just look at his first 11 AHL games in comparison to his other seasons to see an example of that)

Paajarvi has the best single season ppg at either level with his AHL 11-12 season ppg of 0.74 being far better than Schroeders AHL 12-13 numbers of 0.63. Even when it comes to the playoffs at the AHL level Paajarvi has been better. Paajarvi has also been an all star at the World Championships. There is little in the way of numbers to suggest that Paajarvi is not the more accomplished player as a pro and that's despite coming from a different style of hockey. It really isn't close, and that's not even factoring in size and speed.
You think there's a serious difference between players who post a difference of 0.07 in career ppg in the AHL?

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Hutzler

Wow...all the Canuck's fans are saying Schroeder and all the Oiler's fans are saying Paajarvi. What a shock!

Hutzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Are you serious?

Do you think the coach of any NHL team isn't acutely aware of who plays against who in a hockey game? Who he matches players against, or who he shelters some of his players from?

Do you think it's a coincidence that Shea Weber plays a majority of the minutes against elite players? Is it just happenstance that the most sheltered defenseman in the league (in terms of quality of competition) is John Scott?

Who a player is out there against makes a huge difference. Massive.
No you got it all wrong, the Sedins get all those offensive zone starts just by chance.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
You think there's a serious difference between players who post a difference of 0.07 in career ppg in the AHL?
When one has a 15 goal and 34 point season in the NHL as a teenager, yeah. When one has his ppg hurt by givig up ice time to NHL stars, yeah. When one is 6'3 and one of the best skaters in the world, yeah. Paajarvi has been the far more consistent scorer as a pro, it's not debatable. He also has a far better package of skills, it's not debatable.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:25 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutzler View Post
Wow...all the Canuck's fans are saying Schroeder and all the Oiler's fans are saying Paajarvi. What a shock!
false

voted MPS

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:28 AM
LPH

Quote:
When one has a 15 goal and 34 point season in the NHL as a teenager, yeah. When one has his ppg hurt by givig up ice time to NHL stars, yeah. When one is 6'3 and one of the best skaters in the world, yeah. Paajarvi has been the far more consistent scorer as a pro, it's not debatable. He also has a far better package of skills, it's not debatable.
you would think that someone that is a consistent scorer a has a good package of skills, they would be able to earns a roster spot? It is debatable because MPS has regressed

Old
02-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
To be fair, Schroeder's time in the AHL was spent playing largely with scrubs, and as a primary playmaker, his point production took a hit due to lack of finishers.

MPS has better physical tools, but I don't know about skills. Schroeder has much better vision and is also extremely fast as well as playing a 200-foot game.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
you would think that someone that is a consistent scorer a has a good package of skills, they would be able to earns a roster spot? It is debatable because MPS has regressed
We're talking about 20/21 year olds here. There is no hurry to get them into the line up.

...and lets be honest here. The Canucks are talking about how hard it is to crack their line up. Do you think Schroeder would be getting 14+ minutes a night on the Oilers? Or 3+ minutes a night on the PP? Does he take a job from Hall, Eberle, RNH, Gagner, Hemsky or Yakupov? The answer is no.(He's actually averaging more time on the PP than Hemsky and Yakupov this season) So what would he do on the Oilers? Play in the bottom 6? Play a couple minutes on the PK a night like Paajarvi does? Again, no.

I'm not saying this to insult Schroeder. I just see it as the way it is. Paajarvi's offense may have regressed but it's only regressed to the point where now we're able to compare Schroeder to him. A couple years ago it wasn't even close. Now it is.

However, as of today, a 5'9 offensive player that isn't producing much offense isn't as valuable to a bottom six as a 6'2 offensive player that also isn't creating much offense but is able of bringing a very good defensive game can play in the bottom six...and I'm sure Schroeder can hold his own in the defensive zone but Paajarvi is not just above average in this area. He's a good defensive forward.

Last edited by Wheatking: 02-18-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:56 AM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
We're talking about 20/21 year olds here. There is no hurry to get them into the line up.

...and lets be honest here. The Canucks are talking about how hard it is to crack their line up. Do you think Schroeder would be getting 14+ minutes a night on the Oilers? Or 3+ minutes a night on the PP? Does he take a job from Hall, Eberle, RNH, Gagner, Hemsky or Yakupov? The answer is no. So what would he do on the Oilers? Play in the bottom 6? Play a couple minutes on the PK a night like Paajarvi does? Again, no.

I'm not saying this to insult Schroeder. I just see it as the way it is. Paajarvi's offense may have regressed but it's only regressed to the point where now we're able to compare Schroeder to him. A couple years ago it wasn't even close. Now it is.

However, as of today, a 5'9 offensive player that isn't producing much offense isn't as valuable to a bottom six as a 6'2 offensive player that also isn't creating much offense but is able of bringing a very good defensive game can play in the bottom six...and I'm sure Schroeder can hold his own in the defensive zone but Paajarvi is not just above average in this area. He's a good defensive forward.
With the centre injuries that you guys had I would think that he would of gotten a chance. He isn't exactly competing with Eberle and Hall since they are wingers. Just like Paajarvi wouldn't have to compete with Henrik and Kesler to get in a top 6 role here. I would hardly say making the Canucks is easy, since Schroeder would of been sent down if he had not played good enough. My comment was more of a shot against the consistency comment prior to it, because although I think he'll rebound, he's hardly been consistent thus far.

Schroeder is playing as a unsheltered two way centre while just getting his feet in the water at the NHl level, does that mean he's better than MPS, I don't think so. Im just tired of some people making assumptions based on his size and points this year, where that doesn't give a proper relflection of his play so far. Is he playing Sean Couturier-esque? Of course not, but he is surprisingly good defensively and good on the transition game (which is something we lack).

Old
02-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
With the centre injuries that you guys had I would think that he would of gotten a chance. He isn't exactly competing with Eberle and Hall since they are wingers. Just like Paajarvi wouldn't have to compete with Henrik and Kesler to get in a top 6 role here. I would hardly say making the Canucks is easy, since Schroeder would of been sent down if he had not played good enough. My comment was more of a shot against the consistency comment prior to it, because although I think he'll rebound, he's hardly been consistent thus far.

Schroeder is playing as a unsheltered two way centre while just getting his feet in the water at the NHl level, does that mean he's better than MPS, I don't think so. Im just tired of some people making assumptions based on his size and points this year, where that doesn't give a proper relflection of his play so far. Is he playing Sean Couturier-esque? Of course not, but he is surprisingly good defensively and good on the transition game (which is something we lack).
All fair points. I don't think it's quite as simple as just competing with the players in your position since I was mainly focusing on the massive amount of powerplay time Schroeder has received. If you're a good offensive player, they'll find a spot on the ice to stick you on the PP. For example. Sometimes the Oilers will put Belanger out on the PP just to win the face off. Suddenly Gagner finds himself playing the point. However, I agree with the main point you were making.

The only point I was trying to make was that people just shouldn't simplify it to "Schroeder is trying to make the CANUCKS while Paajarvi is trying to make the OILERS"...because it's really not that simple. The Canucks might be a much better team but that doesn't mean every player capable to finding a job on their team would a lock to make the Oilers...like some are suggesting. Paajarvi is battling for ice time right now and is finding a way to get into the line up because of his defensive play. If Schroeder is an Oiler, he's likely in the AHL waiting for an injury to occur in the top 6.

Arcobello is an offensive AHL player. He got into a game this year when RNH needed a night off. That probably would have been the one and only game Schroeder would have played for the Oilers this season if he was in their system.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote